Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Shops/Bargains/Auction Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Picked mine up this morning. Condition is exactly as described, the box itself is not sealed but everything inside is and most definitely never opened/used.

He has them in (the original) outer boxes of 4 boxed consoles, so i decided to take a whole box of them and 4 of those game/wallet combos. For €110 that's a great deal. You'd be doing well to get 4 reasonable condition ones with the cables for that.

Now, to hold on to them for a decade or two... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Going to get a couple as well. Never had a playstation. I remember at time, I had enough money to buy a console. Went into xtravision, back when it was good, and had choice between ps1 and n64.
    Got n64 and mario kart, goldeneye, mario 64 and buck bumble. Great games and loved it. Unfortunately they never got another game in for n64 and they never rented one. This was back in the day that not everyone had a car, so I never ever got another game for n64!
    Resorted to rented a ps1!:rolleyes: renting consoles. Those were the days. Twisted metal and tekken. Lost whole days. First reaction to playstation. Wow CDs! Omg actually video clips!!!!
    Has to be the worse purchase I ever made and that age where the heck did I get the cash to buy a console? Not bad as in console was crap but bad as in I had only 4 games!
    Despite this when had choice between ps2 and Gamecube. Guess what I got. Even got it again when brother broke Gamecube. Although there was better support for the Gamecube and was easier to get games.
    Ah late 90's and early 00's, the halcyon days for my gaming.
    Sorry bit of a ramble there.

I'm sorry but I just found that hilarious!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right, everyone sign into your ebay a/c and get asking the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Right, everyone sign into your ebay a/c and get asking the questions

I asked him a question the day he put the auction up and he still hasn't replied.

I just asked if this was really new and if the box was sealed. No answer.

We should all report him to ebay.

He has it down as new :D
    Condition:
    New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is applicable). If the item comes direct from a manufacturer, it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as a plain or unprinted box or plastic bag.

• Advertisement

I asked him how can he call it new when the box is in such bad condition, why he hasn't any pictures of the actual console and why the high price. I doubt he'll reply.:rolleyes:

The pictures alone say that the Box was opened!

Looks like I missed this one

But those 3 fellas are sniping everything on adverts. Every retro game or console that goes up I always see that kirby avatar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Looks like I missed this one

But those 3 fellas are sniping everything on adverts. Every retro game or console that goes up I always see that kirby avatar!

I smell RAGE, and it's not coming from Jack burton.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'm about 99% sure thats a regular poster here , for the life of me cant remember who.
    could be wrong though
    email notifications+ smart phone with adverts is damn handy (I've nabbed the odd bargain that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Relikk wrote: »
    I smell RAGE, and it's not coming from Jack burton.

I wouldn't be suprised if it was. I remember I was having a chat with one of the lads there before and adverts.ie came up.

From a business perspective it's not a bad idea..but I can't stand stuff being bought just to sell on like that. The word profiteering comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if it was. I remember I was having a chat with one of the lads there before and adverts.ie came up.

From a business perspective it's not a bad idea..but I can't stand stuff being bought just to sell on like that. The word profiteering comes to mind.

I know of a lot of retro stores in the UK that hire an individual exclusively for trawling auction sites and charity shops for cheap gear to sell on. Perhaps the RAGE do something similar.

Well check out this and wonder if its the RAGE

http://www.adverts.ie/search/user-437919/status_sold/type_all

FYI all, that's my adverts account you're dragging through the mud with the R word. I'm just a collector starting out, got quite a few large holes in my collection to fill and a quick trigger finger, nothing wrong with that...

I could list several accounts I've seen on adverts that only buy to sell but that's their business, learn to work around it by being quick off the mark... The term sniping would suggest underhanded tactics and I resent that. I follow the rules, wait in line etc, just like anyone else.
    Anyway, anyone who knows me could tell you the last thing I am is a hipster poser like rage.

/end rant, resume trawling...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

FYI all, that's my adverts account you're dragging through the mud with the R word. I'm just a collector starting out, got quite a few large holes in my collection to fill and a quick trigger finger, nothing wrong with that...

I could list several accounts I've seen on adverts that only buy to sell but that's their business, learn to work around it by being quick off the mark... The term sniping would suggest underhanded tactics and I resent that. I follow the rules, wait in line etc, just like anyone else.
    Anyway, anyone who knows me could tell you the last thing I am is a hipster poser like rage.

So you have 2 boards accounts?

Thats a Paddlin:D

Master of the Universe

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the term sniping. It just means waiting and BOOM, getting that bid/offer in at the right time. I snipe the hell out of ebay and make no excuses. When buying stuff, show no mercy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I feel like someone just pointed at the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

2009-09-18.jpg

None one here said anything about you being underhanded or anything so calm down.

All I was doing was pointing out an account of somone who none of us know who deals with almost all games consoles on adverts. Most of the people posting and buying retro systems on adverts are familiars here so if theres someone noone knows whos doing it all we were doing was speculating that it could be someone to do with the RAGE. Which there very likely is one adverts, but now we know its not you :)
    knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find if you aren't sniping you've already lost the auction. There's always some stupid prick that will keep bidding on your reserve bid until he beats it and ends up paying over the odds for it. They never appear when you are sniping.

Which there very likely is one adverts, but now we know its not you :)

I'm sure there is, i've had my own suspicions but it's only a suspicion, so i wont be naming names, and I was surprised to momentarily have the pitchforks pointed in my face! If there is one, i doubt they will reveal themselves easily. I suggest a RAGE speculation/accusation thread where people can present evidence and make their cases before this thread gets closed for off-topic posting.

As for my having another account, I decided it was best to keep different accounts for each site and you can see i've bought or sold nothing from this name on adverts since before they redesigned it. I have seen plenty of people obviously buying with one account and selling for profit with another on adverts, sometimes even brazenly pilfering the picture from the ad they bought off because they are too lazy/don't care.

Also, i've observed a few people on this forum who use a different name on adverts in the same way i do, so live and let live, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find if you aren't sniping you've already lost the auction. There's always some stupid prick that will keep bidding on your reserve bid until he beats it and ends up paying over the odds for it. They never appear when you are sniping.
    stupid prick? thats a bit harsh? they just wanted it more than you eh?..

...when you say "sniping" do you mean the "hover on the ebay page until 3 seconds to go , stick a bid in and hope that our crappy Irish broadband doesnt mess it up" or use a paid service to autobid at the last second (ezsniper/bidnapper whatever) .
    To be honest If I see something I like with no bids I'll throw maybe 2 quid down even if it has days left .I wont get in a bidding war though .No point.The 99p 1 bid actually has worked a fair bit for me .Again it shouldnt , but it does.
    Thats supposed to be a no-no but you'd be suprised how often it works.
    I'll get an alert on the phone coming close to the end of the auction and then I might throw a last minute bid in (again , smart phones are great).

Master of the Universe

There's only one thing that bidding early on an item does - attract bids.

I've seen items end without selling. Relisted over and over. Someone will finally bid on it, and then before you know it, someone else tries to outbid them.

It's like people don't think an item is worth something until someone bids and then it confirms its worth.

Never ever bid early. Unless there is absolutely no way you can be there at the ending time. And even then, you'll probably end up paying more than if you were available at the end time.

Plus nothing beats that rush of adrenaline in the last few seconds as you submit your bid and cross your fingers that nobody else has :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

stupid prick? thats a bit harsh? they just wanted it more than you eh?..

It's really not harsh at all when they bid in excess of what the game is going for most buyitnows. So stupid for throwing away money, and pricks for ruining it for you.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's really not harsh at all when they bid in excess of what the game is going for most buyitnows. So stupid for throwing away money, and pricks for ruining it for you.

You wouldn't believe how often I see that. Daft beyond belief.

Here's a prime example of what I'm on about. It's not games related, but It's been in my watch list for a while as a matter of interest. It's ended a couple of times with no bids.

Someone finally bid on it when it was relisted this time and what do you know, someone else bid too.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/220868225345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's worse when there's two daft bastards trying to outbid each other by 1 euro amounts days before the end of auction. If you see that happening then you are best to stay away.

Master of the Universe

The good thing about that kind of crap is you can take a good guess at what the highest bid is as the eejits just keep bidding the next increment.

If they don't push it over what it's worth, then there's no greater joy than swooping in at the last few seconds and winning it in one go... :) All that nonsense bidding wasted!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

anyone spot this? Im wondering if its one of the brand ps1s the guy on adverts is selling at the minute, will be interesting to see how much this ends up selling for.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/110759607876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm keeping an eye on it! I bought one from Siemens, adding mine to my collection though. Even if it was one of those Playstations I say fair play, bought for €35 and already it's up to €56. It's a nice profit but I feel storing them away for another 10 years would make all the difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Bought one myself to keep, just interested to see how much it ends up selling for too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement