Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Ole, Ole, Ole. Great result all round.:)

I wish Sky though would fcuk off with their 'two teams from the British Isles going to the Euros' claptrap already.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just finished restringing the guitar and listening to the new florence and the machine album great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Ole, Ole, Ole. Great result all round.:)

I wish Sky though would fcuk off with their 'two teams from the British Isles going to the Euros' claptrap already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XSL0AJJRW0&t=1m8s

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It is correct though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is correct though.
    Maybe to keep everyone happy they should change it to

"All the PIIGS are going to the Euros";)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe to keep everyone happy they should change it to

"All the PIIGS are going to the Euros";)

PIIGS can fly Beasty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Wow nice section on bike warehouse at the beginning of the article!

http://news.sky.com/home/business/article/16111236

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

300447_2595083204425_1475059910_32932553_240044659_n.jpg

It is correct though.

Correct that two teams from these islands, yes. From British Isles, NO!

http://www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie/D/0606/D.0606.200509280360.html
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Correct that two teams from these islands, yes. From British Isles, NO!

http://www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie/D/0606/D.0606.200509280360.html
    ;)

"Our officials in the Embassy of Ireland, London, continue to monitor the media in Britain for any abuse of the official terms as set out in the [406] Constitution of Ireland and in legislation. These include the name of the State, the President, Taoiseach and others."

It's just as well that our elected representatives had nothing more important to be doing in 2005 than arguing over geopolitical semantics. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter-governmental sense."

"The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter-governmental sense."

Are you defending the term in everyday use Vlad? Surprised a true Republican like you would!:pac:

Are you defending the term in everyday use Vlad? Surprised a true Republican like you would!:pac:

Something something OLIVER CROMWELL something something.

Isn't that how it goes?

I am. What's wrong with it as the commonly accepted term for the islands of Britain and Ireland.

Lumen wrote: »
    Something something OLIVER CROMWELL something something.

Isn't that how it goes?

Blah blah 800 years blah blah

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Whenever I look at a map I think of the one on the right as Great Britain and the one on the left as Little Br.....

...actually, on second thoughts, better not

On a(n only slightly) more serious note, we are talking about common usage of the English language here;)

I'm no Ra head BTW, Just pisses me and many others when that term and others is used to infer a claim to the successes of various Irish teams in big sporting occasions. Anyone remember Croker being named the largest stadium in the UK by SkySports a few years back? They, Sky, have a history of it.

The term British Isles is inaccurate, archaic and offensive. Just my opinion.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you defending the term in everyday use Vlad?
    "Everyday use" would be stretching it a bit. Back in the eighties I remember most maps had "British Isles" written on it. But in that horrible era when it became cool to be PC, the term vanished from everywhere and "Ireland" appeared all on its own on maps beside, "Great Britain".

Now the only people I hear using the term are people trying to get a rise out of Republicans. Or UK media trying to claim Irish success/celebrities as British ones.

seamus wrote: »
    Now the only people I hear using the term are people trying to get a rise out of Republicans.

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it :D

I've no problem with the Brits getting excited about their near neighbour also being in the European Cup. It's kind of nice, actually, that they care.
    The term British Isles is inaccurate, archaic and offensive. Just my opinion.:)

Offensive? That a group of islands is called after the largest island? It's a disgrace alright. I mean, imagine the Hawaiian islands or the Canaries were named after their biggest islands. There'd be war!

• Advertisement

Anyway, how TF did this thread revert to football talk?

I'm going to have to post another Mitchell and Webb video...

Offensive was the last description - more inaccurate and archaic than anything else as per the Gov. stance above.

Hawaiian islands and Canaries? I think the bigger deal there is that they are claimed part of the US and Spain respectfully.

Vlad, don't let this get in the way of our burgeoning friendship across the socio-economic divide. I mean we still have to cycle together on Sundays.;)

... come to think about it, if we could find some ancestor of Lionel Messi who lived on the Malvinas, maybe we could get him a "transfer" into the English team - I guess he may struggle to displace Wazza though...

In other news, tickets for the London prepares Cycling World Cup event between 16 and 19 February go on sale tomorrow at 10.00am

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Time to move on lads... which reminds me, I seem to have missed the Boards 2011 Poppy Day circle, and that's not 800 years, only since 1914, or '18, or '45 or something.

I'm with Vlad, its a perfectly good geographical descriptor.

16.48 hrs and the rain is about to ruin everyone's commute in mid Leinster, or the greater Dublin area, or de pale or whatever its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭tulachmhor

While the term British Isles may be construed as offensive to some or indeed many on here,for me its not that much of an issue,even though it is geographically correct.We are not part of the Realm,but rather we are part of the British Isles.

If political correctness ever needed be,we could simply remane the British Isles as I.O.N.A or Islands of the North Atlantic.
    Or is that a push too far?

Ah lads, lets move on. We're in the Euro's thats all I'm concerned about. Will there be as much bunting out this time round? Barely slept a wink in 2002 for all the wind billowing the stuff in every front garden. Don't mind if it happens for 4 weeks next year......Here's hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just askin', but maybe the fact we're in hock to HM Government to the tune of 7 billion sterling (as in real cash money, not makey-up yoyos) means we need to bite our collective tongue over the description applied to these Islands of the North Atlantic..........???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Oileáin Iarthair Eorpa

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Has anyone a wiggle voucher? Their newsletter subscription link is not working to get the £5 off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement