Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not sure, just caught it on the news.

Maybe if you were on the way up from Bay of Biscay and just didn't get in on time? If it's someone who went out from Ireland they need to be charged with endangerment of some sort.

If they'd come from the Bay of Biscay they'd have been in trouble long before now, I'd have thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

That's an excellent point, well made.

Lifeboat tracks indicate they were along the east coast. Appear to be in Rosslare Harbour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

For the first time I can recall there's no support vessel jogging around the Kinsale Gas platforms. I thought there had to be one on station at all times in case of emergency so I wonder does that mean they've abandoned the platforms ahead of the storm?

I certainly would have!

It looks like Bantry Bay won't have anything left swimming or crawling in it soon as it's now crowded with fishing boats while another deep sea boat has given Dunmanus Bay a good seeing to while keeping in out of the weather. Me, I'd have put into CTB and gone to MacCarthys Bar!

Almost noting at sea off the South Coast apart from a couple of hard cases fishing west of the Blaskets. This weather drives fish prices higher but don't they earn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Guess sailing on Saturday won't be happening

Screenshot_20171018_213631.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Has anyone got eyes on DL harbour?

Wondering how our little boat is doing on it's mooring..... :eek:

I hear there is one boat in trouble today and a few optimists, can't understand why the optimist would be out sailing today :eek: https://www.facebook.com/dlcoastguard/ . Hope your boat is safe and sound.

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    I hear there is one boat in trouble today and a few optimists, can't understand why the optimist would be out sailing today :eek: https://www.facebook.com/dlcoastguard/ . Hope your boat is safe and sound.

Got out by the skin of its teeth! :eek:

Definitely wouldn't have fancied her chances on being on the mooring in that today!

Boat in trouble seems to be up against the West Pier - wonder how that happened, that should be in complete shelter from the westerly wind :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Just a heads up before Christmas, Steve Sleight's Complete Manual of Sailing' is available in hardback for €23 inclusive of p&p with The Book Depository.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was anyone else watching the start of the VOR? There were a few :eek: heart-stopping:eek: moments in it!!!

Brilliant watching!

Think you can view back bits of coverage here https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanrace/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was anyone else watching the start of the VOR? There were a few :eek: heart-stopping:eek: moments in it!!!

Brilliant watching!

Think you can view back bits of coverage here https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanrace/

Much better than the farce the AC has become!

• Advertisement

years ago i would have been glued to the volvo race but went off it years ago when they started putting in the shorter legs and sending the boats to the likes of the middle east and getting too commercial. i know theyve some longer legs in this race so should be some what better

as for the americas cup, i dont the kiwis could ruin that event anymore then its already been ruined.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

neris wrote: »
    years ago i would have been glued to the volvo race but went off it years ago when they started putting in the shorter legs and sending the boats to the likes of the middle east and getting too commercial. i know theyve some longer legs in this race so should be some what better

Same here, I remember being at the London boat show with my dad in 1997 and seeing Silk Cut & Lawrie Smith. I had a big interest in it that year (97/98), and used to get home from school and check out the daily updates on teletext.

I still have my Volvo Ocean Race t-shirt from back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

That windward mark was scary! Why was there no exclusion zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

yes it was very hairy start and a lot of close calls and very exciting. looking forward to the next 8 months

Same here, I remember being at the London boat show with my dad in 1997 and seeing Silk Cut & Lawrie Smith. I had a big interest in it that year (97/98), and used to get home from school and check out the daily updates on teletext.

I still have my Volvo Ocean Race t-shirt from back then!

93/94 was my 1st real interest in it. use to be a weekly highlights show on itv abot 11pm on a sunday night that i use to record. would sneak in and watch the tape in the early hours of the morning when the house was quiet. 93/94 was the 1st real professional race but the 97/98 brought the professionalism to a different level. think i have all the highlights from 93/94 & 97/98 races on video in parents house if they havent thrown them out. was in sydney in 2001/02 when they ended a leg there and restarted with the sydney hobart fleet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

T'was a bit baltic in Dublin bay yesterday! Nice to be back on the water tho.

Steve wrote: »
    T'was a bit baltic in Dublin bay yesterday! Nice to be back on the water tho.
    Never mind baltic, 'twas a bit hectic!

Some great pics here https://afloat.ie/sail/events/dbsc-turkey-shoot/item/37642-big-winds-get-rathfarnham-ford-dbsc-turkey-shoot-underway-on-dublin-bay

Agreed, though, lovely to be back out. Thanks for the invite :)

Interesting article about the trend towards cheque book sailing, and not only at the top end

https://www.sailingworld.com/seriousness-in-sport-sailing?src=SOC&dom=fb

Interesting article about the trend towards cheque book sailing, and not only at the top end

https://www.sailingworld.com/seriousness-in-sport-sailing?src=SOC&dom=fb

No issues with pros on boats at our level * the odd time * I've learned loads from them. I have issues in events tho where a boat is carrying paid jockeys to guarantee a win. They should get their own class and let them on.
    Plenty of recent examples of round the cans boats that get average results in weeknight racing and then go to a big event and basically pay to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Don't know if there's any interest in Lego here, but this set has just been announced, coming out in 2018.

42074_alt1.jpg

Interesting mainsheet setup...
    42074_alt3.jpg

And a catamaran
    42074_alt4.jpg

https://brickshow.com/2017/10/lego-technic-2018-official-set-images-released/

• Advertisement

cunETwp.jpg

:eek:

Aaaah, similar to those Mosquito / Spitfire / Beaufighter / Lancaster / Wellington Airfix kits brought by Santa and made by Dad!

Another fatality in the Clipper Race.

https://afloat.ie/sail/events/clipper-round-the-world-race/item/37766-clipper-race-fatality-in-the-southern-ocean

RIP

Is it my imagination or is this race developing a fairly awful record lately?

That's terrible news. RIP.
    including the reasons his safety tether did not keep him on board,
    Not sure of this bit of the article, tethers are not and were never designed to keep a crew member on board, and it's always been a big fear of mine that wearing one could cause drowning as you are dragged along with the boat.

Steve wrote: »
    That's terrible news. RIP.

Not sure of this bit of the article, tethers are not and were never designed to keep a crew member on board, and it's always been a big fear of mine that wearing one could cause drowning as you are dragged along with the boat.
    Agreed. After the '79 Fastnet the enquiry that followed examined how some crew were lost or injured and tethers and harnesses were closely reviewed and it was found that the snaphook on the end (then the usual means of attachment) could open if rotated through 90 degrees under load and disengage from a U-bolt. On one yacht in that race a crew was badly injured after a roll when his safety line (what they were commonly called back then) bent him across a big winch and he had to be cut free. Crew on several boats had to be pulled back into the cockpit after rolls/knockdowns/big seas. I cannot recall if the ISAF issued a recommendation or made it mandatory that snaphooks have a locking device. We had jacklines that ran fore-aft and when clipped on we would not have remained on board – the length of line necessary to be mobile was too long.

I also recall having to fit bolts to the washboards and straps to the batteries as a result of those findings. During that race several washboards had fallen out and batteries had 'flown' during rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Daibheid

Another fatality in the Clipper Race.

RIP

Is it my imagination or is this race developing a fairly awful record lately?

RIP indeed - a sad loss and not by any yardstick a newbie to sailing. That might have been a concern with the Clipper series despite the laudable focus on safety and training which ultimately only really gels with experience.

As for the record, putting lots of people at sea in a big race simply increases the number of incidents proportionally.

On tethers I agree with others, while I'm a religious user, in heavy weather or on night watch,it's always a fear of mine that going over might lead to forced drowning even with a life jacket from the forward motion of the boat, especially when running under a spinnaker. I do think this is a particular risk when forward of the cockpit then the safety line is going to tow you alongside and possibly under the waterline. I'm not sure I'd get to use a knife in that situation or that a safety shackle could be released under load?

This is the article I remember reading a few years ago.

http://www.pbo.co.uk/seamanship/is-it-safe-to-use-a-tether-25125

Makes for very sobering reading.

Number one rule - don't fall overboard.

Number two rule - if you do, the boat must STOP immediately.

End of story.

New AC75s for the next cup. Foiling monos. Anyone care anymore

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Saw that yesterday, meh..

I lost interest when they stopped using 12 meters. good old fashioned monohull racing is great.

I would like to see some foil collisions when the boats are at close quarters though.

• Advertisement

I care, because it's basically the only top-level sailing that's broadcast and watchable by those not actually at the event.

I was delighted when I heard they were returning to monohulls, but both the video and audio on that promo suggest that it's still an aeroplane wing "mainsail", which I'm disappointed with (but hope I'm wrong).

We'll never see a spinnaker hoisted in this competition again, which I think is a terrible thing. Ten muscle-machines grinding, and one driver pushing buttons seems to be the way of the future.

I do agree that the carnage-potential from those side-splayed foils is immense, though :eek:

Advertisement