Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Its funny, before the internet, nobody gave a sh**e about cats.

Some of us still don't :) My daughters got a couple of them, and their only saving grace is that they keep the rat population under control. While I'm no huge fan of pets, if you live next to a shop with a deli counter, having a couple of cats around the place is no bad thing. Having had a rat die and decompose slowly and stinkily under my floorboards a few years ago, cats are a damn sight better than rat poison, and surprisingly efficient.

On early morning spins, I tend to see more foxes than cats, but am wondering how long it will be before we have out first 401 Wicklow wolf sighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

smacl wrote: »
    On early morning spins, I tend to see more foxes than cats, but am wondering how long it will be before we have out first 401 Wicklow wolf sighting.

:O Well.. no more night spins on wicklow then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Nominative determinism:
    http://www.sligotown.net/argue-and-phibbs.shtml

Early twentieth century firm of solicitors called Argue and Phibbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Ryath

AstraMonti wrote: »
    :O Well.. no more night spins on wicklow then.

You might want to check the date on that article :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It was a failed sarcastic/humorous post :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It was a failed sarcastic/humorous post :(

I for one am shocked and offended that your post wasn't prefixed with:

"Ha ha. That was clearly an April fools joke AND I AM STATING THE OBVIOUS IN CASE YOU'RE ALL VERY STUPID"

#shame
    #howverydareyou
    #numberWang!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

#shame
    #howverydareyou
    #numberWang!

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

what?

That's numberwang!

200_s.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw this hill on The Cycle Show on ITV4 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

CAAD10 arrived today...

PEsD9n4l.jpg

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Brian wrote: »
    CAAD10 arrived today...

PEsD9n4l.jpg

:(

Crap. Hopefully you have no problem getting it sorted.

Anyone know what the procedure is for something like this?

The top tube was covered in a foam wrap to prevent this from happening, and the bike was in two layers of cardboard, so the shipping company must have manhandled it pretty bad.

Hopefully the bike shop has insurance for shipping. The frame won't be much use to them either if I return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Anyone know what the procedure is for something like this?

The top tube was covered in a foam wrap to prevent this from happening, and the bike was in two layers of cardboard, so the shipping company must have manhandled it pretty bad.

Private seller or proper retailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »

Bike shop, he said.

Raam wrote: »

A bike store in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

A bike store in Germany.

Just tell em you want to return it cos it is damaged. I've done the same multiple times. It is usually very straight forward. It is annoying to receive damaged goods though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That's heartbreaking Brian. Hope it gets sorted.

Came across this linguistic gem on the Strava support page:
    Exactly #### # Strava don't seem to have a privacy policy and if they do it's non existent

Commuter racing is a bit silly at the best if times, but if you're going to race someone on a 30kg cargo bike and RLJ, try not to get caught by them a few minutes later on the hill in Drumcondra. :)

Bikes are awesome, people. Really awesome. I'm off to buy another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Is there a hill in Drumcondra? :eek:

:pac:

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Is there a hill in Drumcondra? :eek:

:pac:

There is... One of my first posts on here many moons ago was about using a single speed on said hill. The response was the same. I'm about 20kg lighter but still... There is a hill in Drumcondra. All the way to Whitehall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Just joking. This is the hill I cycle almost every day, the hill that I hated until I conquered it, the hill that became my gateway into cycling. Its just I don't call it a hill anymore ;)

Alek wrote: »
    Just joking. This is the hill I cycle almost every day, the hill that I hated until I conquered it, the hill that became my gateway into cycling. Its just I don't call it a hill anymore ;)

Ah, sorry, yeah, I knew you were joking. I'm just pointing out that I can't stop calling it a hill. It's sooo much easier than before, but still... it's a hill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Driving (Booooo!!) along Clare Street this morning stuck in traffic behind a cyclist on a fixie with light blue handle bars, typical hipstermobile, wearing over ear headphones. He had refused to cycle his bike, just rolling along, right of centre in the right hand lane making it impossible for cars to pass. Other cyclists were in the bus lane.

As you come around this corner to the right hand side, the lane splits into two. One lane turning left again and one lane going straight ahead. He turned left which made absolutely no sense what so ever. I could understand his road position if he chose to continue straight on.

To really top it off, he sails through every red light, as if it were a challenge. Effectively, this douchebag had refused to cycle his bike, impeding other road users and then sped up once the light went red.

If you are reading this, Mr self entitled, you are a danger to yourself and other road users and lack the mental capacity to share the road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.341443,-6.251558,3a,75y,310.34h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjxAH6iqDsd554Gkz47hnXA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

How was he refusing to cycle the bike if it was a fixie, which can't freewheel? Going crazy trying to envisage this.

How was he refusing to cycle the bike if it was a fixie, which can't freewheel? Going crazy trying to envisage this.

Who know's, maybe he engineered this contraption to trigger madness in people.

Maybe fixie isn't the correct term to use? Single speed maybe?

Maybe. A fixie is a fixed-wheel bicycle; there's no freewheel, so your pedals (and with them your legs) turn all the time you're moving. You don't need brakes (though most fixies will have one brake at least) because your leg muscles act as a brake. Generally they're completely stripped down, no mudgards, etc. You'll usually know someone is riding a fixie because he (usually he) stands on the pedals balancing at stop signs, rather than getting off.
    Sounds like your vile and abusive cyclist, preventing motorists from going about their important business, was simply riding a bike without gears. The beast! He mustn't have been sure about the lanes on that particular road. How selfish!

Maybe. A fixie is a fixed-wheel bicycle; there's no freewheel, so your pedals (and with them your legs) turn all the time you're moving. You don't need brakes (though most fixies will have one brake at least) because your leg muscles act as a brake. Generally they're completely stripped down, no mudgards, etc. You'll usually know someone is riding a fixie because he (usually he) stands on the pedals balancing at stop signs, rather than getting off.
    Sounds like your vile and abusive cyclist, preventing motorists from going about their important business, was simply riding a bike without gears. The beast! He mustn't have been sure about the lanes on that particular road. How selfish!

I guess it was a single speed bike with a freehub, do forgive my ignorance on the matter, the two bikes look incredibly similar.

Oh i'd say he knew exactly what he was doing. There's no need to be out in the road blocking other road users, that's exactly what he was doing. As I explained in my initial post, he wasn't cycling, he was coasting along not giving a damn about anybody else, then sailed on through a red light. I am not sure why you are trying to defend him with your sarcastic remarks.

It's like anybody mentions anything about a cyclist here and you get the usual troop backing up the cyclist "he owns a bike, he's one of us, he can do no wrong".

Well, not really, Iamxavier. I have come across selfish men and women cycling and driving. I don't usually come rushing to a forum to complain about them. And often I'll assume that they've lost their way and are going slowly because they're uncertain which lane leads to where.
    But when I hear people using terms like "troop", "brigade", etc, I assume I'm in the presence of someone with a prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Isn't that what the buffalo/doozerie thread is all about and for, musing about such things you see on road be it cyclist, ped or driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

There must have been major advances in "modern carbon bikes" since, last year? hmmmm.....

356565.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^ Well, at least he's grabbing his own ass this time...

There must have been major advances in "modern carbon bikes" since, last year? hmmmm.....

Are you still at this?

Weepsie wrote: »
    Isn't that what the buffalo/doozerie thread is all about and for, musing about such things you see on road be it cyclist, ped or driver

That was certainly the intention of its founding father!

• Advertisement

Just spent an hour trying to find a low traffic route between our place and my wife's place of work. 2km of reasonably quiet roads was all I needed to find.

Needless to say the search was fruitless as every sidestreet no matter how narrow and residential is crawling with big metal maggots ruining the space for everyone including themselves flying in the face of reason, relying instead on the "common sense" that a 3.5-5ton disability scooter is a suitable means of transport for short city journeys.
    [/rage]

My favourite is the 3.5 tonne umbrella.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That was certainly the intention of its founding father!

I may go vent about this morning's events on my commute so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

is there anything other than 'dont wear them' i can do to stop the cuff of my tracksuit bottoms getting caught in the umm... thing that moves when i pedal?

chain?

at the moment im rolling the right trouser up to the knee while im cycling but it looks like the worlds stupidest gang affiliated fashion statement, are there special tracksuit pants or just comfortable/casual sports pants I should be looking at?

all i want to do is cycle in and out of town without getting my leg caught in the thing, freaking out and then driving into a hedge.

strelok wrote: »
    is there anything other than 'dont wear them' i can do to stop the cuff of my tracksuit bottoms getting caught in the umm... thing that moves when i pedal?

chain?

at the moment im rolling the right trouser up to the knee while im cycling but it looks like the worlds stupidest gang affiliated fashion statement, are there special tracksuit pants or just comfortable/casual sports pants I should be looking at?

all i want to do is cycle in and out of town without getting my leg caught in the thing, freaking out and then driving into a hedge.

Leg clips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

strelok wrote: »

chain?

Stick your trouser cuff into your sock. There are a few different types of cycling pants and cycling jeans, but the sock is the easiest way.

Edit - Yes also trouser clips. Available in every bike shop.

Tucking trouser cuff into sock works ok for me. I find that I judge socks by their suitability for this strategy before buying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Tucking trouser cuff into sock works ok for me. I find that I judge socks by their suitability for this strategy before buying.

My bike has a chain guard, as long as you aren't wearing flared trousers works fine.

Bike clips are such a no no, ever been to a swingers party where they put the car keys into a goldfish bowl? Doesn't have the same effect with bikeclips, so if you go the clip way at least buy a keyfob that'll work. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

tucking into socks honestly never even occurred to me

natural born cyclist

thanks all

Besides, everyone will think you're a Freemason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

FYP:
    Are they still at this?

FYP:

Cancel your expensive subscription to the site then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

http://dublininquirer.com/2015/07/28/scouting-out-the-potential-of-a-northside-cycle-route/

Scoping out the future potential Santry cycle route. Doesn't make for encouraging reading tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Cycling down the north quays yesterday and what looked like a Garda car came towards me, lights flashing on the roof. As it went by me I noticed it was revenue! Can anyone shed any light on why in the hell the revenue services need cars that look like garda cars?

Cycling down the north quays yesterday and what looked like a Garda car came towards me, lights flashing on the roof. As it went by me I noticed it was revenue! Can anyone shed any light on why in the hell the revenue services need cars that look like garda cars?

Criminal Assets Bureau? Just a guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement