Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ok famous last words

23sc0o5.jpg

284kkl.jpg

It's amazing how light it feels on the wrist compared to my steinhart diver or ghock.. I like the manual wind a lot.. very early impressions.. think it's the enameled like dial watch I was after.. just has that classic dress watch look about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

Lovely Stowa micks_address. I like the clean dial with Romans; a classic look. The knurling on the crown looks sharp, do you find it digs into your wrist?
    Wear it in good health. Regards.

Lovely Stowa micks_address. I like the clean dial with Romans; a classic look. The knurling on the crown looks sharp, do you find it digs into your wrist?
    Wear it in good health. Regards.
    Thanks only on an hour but no complaints re comfort yet.. I like the Roman numerals but the date is in Arabic which might throw off the balance a bit :) I figured might as well have the date on it. My first manual wind watch so interesting experience. I'll pop up a picture of the back to as the movement looks class

Case back

2r7uhyu.jpg

I should mention the excellent service from Stowa. On the website they said 2 to 3 weeks delivery time. I wanted for next week and they assured me I'd have it. Also I changed from the automatic to the manual wind movement only last week and they were able to swap it in. They also checked my wrist size for the strap. It left their factory Tuesday and was in my office in less than 24 hours later..I was working from home yesterday so had to wait till today to pick up. Early days but so far really like it. The blue hands are a bit of a chameleon.. they only look blue in certain light. Question for the experts. Should you wind till the winder stops? I haven't yet.. the resistance increased but is it ok to keep going?
    Thanks,
    Mick

2ewe73p.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

The manual wind movement is just as good looking as their automatic. I like the blue hands, and also blue hands too.
    Stowa are a great value/quality brand at their respective price tier. I often think they don't get the respect that is due.
    Interesting to hear about their excellent customer service too. I think that is a valuable edge that Steinhart, Stowa, and other smaller brands have over the big brands; better customer service.
    I used to prefer the old big-S logo, but have changed my mind on that and actually prefer the newer Stowa logo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

IMG-20190328-182555-247.jpg

Getting the dial charged up in today's sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Jaysus lads we have enough freckles between us anyway

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »

Haha yep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

OmegaGene wrote: »

I've been meaning to post this since I first came onto the thread:D

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Newest acquisition, a timex indiglo chrono. Prefer it on the nato strap. Every collection should have an indiglo!

20190314-120012.jpg

20190329-192734.jpg

20190329-204031.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Going old school today. 1916 old school. Silver cased, half hunter "Trench" watch.

476637.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Newest acquisition, a timex indiglo chrono. Prefer it on the nato strap. Every collection should have an indiglo!

That is very nice what's the model number??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Looks like the Expedition Scout (TW4B).

From looking on Amazon, it comes in a few colour variations.

That's the one, the particular model is TW4B04400.

@wibbs, that trench watch is probably the most unusual watch I'll ever see. Beautiful. How did you come by it?

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/3HwU78Jojcs

It's a beauty! And looks to be sub €100. How can anyone be without a nice watch these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

@wibbs, that trench watch is probably the most unusual watch I'll ever see. Beautiful. How did you come by it?
    Thanks S, got it years ago in my collecting early years of the wristwatch phase. Mainly because they were very cheap back then and few were interested in them. When the wristwatch started to get popular, primarily among military guys in WW1, the makers tried all sorts of case designs, most were basically small lady's movement pocketwatches with wire lugs attached for a strap. In this case the popular pocketwatch design of the half hunter, with the flip top lid to protect the dial.

476768.jpg

It was often sold as a "protection" against shrapnel. Scary stuff.

476769.jpg

They weren't particularly popular at the time as they're not as legible as an open face watch and when "unbreakable" watch crystals came along they became even less popular(though the design stayed popular enough in Britain even after the war). One of these days I'll get the original radium lume removed and replace it with non radioactive stuff.

Prices have definitely strengthened since then, though not nearly as much as in other areas. Here's one from the UK for under 500 quid. and a nicer one again from Australia for around the same money. That would attract customs duty. Then again it is over a hundred years old so there may be an exemption for actual antiques?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Oh no no no, don't be telling me they are still available to buy. I'm hiding enough stuff from the war office as is.

Oh no no no, don't be telling me they are still available to buy. I'm hiding enough stuff from the war office as is.

Haha, tip buy watches that look the same. Only problem is herself is starting to be one intrested in watches now also. Which is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Pagani Design Chronograph, homage to Tag Aquaracer! My daily beater, surprisingly good quality, interesting Seiko VK67 mecaquartz movement c€60 on AliExpress!

476814.jpeg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's in great nick for over a hundred years old.

It is. Though I have a few others of that same vintage and slightly earlier, inc. a 1912 Longines which is older than their museum has as an early wristwatch (and that one is for a woman) and they're mostly in great nick.

476817.jpg
    L-R 1912 Longines, 1916 Longines and the Mappin.

A surprising number survived well enough. I suspect for a few reasons. Maybe they were seen as a reminder of the war and put in a drawer soon after, or the man who wore it never came home, but his personal belongings did, or they were treasured presents from loved ones so only worn on high days and holy days(a lot feature personal dedications), or when the men went back to civvie street and the wristwatch wasn't that fashionable yet they were left in drawers and when they did overtake pocketwatch sales they were of a different more Art Deco shape so the old Trench watches looked unfashionable*.

A fair number are fairly ropey though and many have lost their original hands and their movements are very worn. That one above is pretty clean in the movement, but a 1916 Longines I have is much cleaner and one of the most accurate watches I have.

If you're looking for one, try and get one with a Borgel case(the case back is all one piece and the movement and dial screws in from the front). These were an attempt at dust and moisture proofing and when new were actually pretty well sealed, so their inners tend to have worn the years better. Make sure the hands are original as replacements are like rocking horse poo.

Here's a Longines from 1923 in a Borgel case and in pretty good nick too, but a service would be a good plan. About right price wise and actually they've dropped a bit in price over the last couple of years. Not having the maker's name on the dial was common enough back then as people tended to buy more from well known shops(as few would have heard of Omega, or Longines or whatever), who would put their names on the dial. In England Harrods would be one, Mappin another. My half hunter above had a very faded Mappin on the dial when I got it first. Example of ad from the time:

476816.JPG

*though they were still being sold in England well into the 30s' so the style remained in play there. Maybe because many were involved in military stuff because of empire?

Today I went a little more up to date and have been wearing this:

n6e361.jpg

My early 40's Doxa "DH", issued to the German military of WW2, specifically the army. On a French late 30's springy bracelet made by AZR, that I picked up NOS a few years back.

476844.jpg

The DH stamped on the caseback means "Dienstuhr Heer", that is "Service watch army". DH's came from a host of Swiss and German companies, Longines, Zenith, Stowa, Omega, Helvetia etc, but most had plated cases, the Doxa is one of the few that had stainless steel cases. And it shows. The case looks maybe a couple of years old, incredibly sharp with the original brushing too. Gilt black dial as a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

No freckles on that arm!:D

mad m wrote: »
    No freckles on that arm!:D

Too long in the trenches :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

1960s omega seamaster

476928.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

2m6lmqs.jpg

Lovely which stowa is that?

2d5som.jpg

Bronze coloured citizen. Radio controlled and perpetual calendar. Love this watch, wear it most days.

476968.jpg

• Advertisement

Lovely which stowa is that?

Antea creme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

893bet wrote: »
    Antea creme.

Bit of a nomos look to it. Nice

Cienciano wrote: »
    Antea creme.

Bit of a nomos look to it. Nice
    Yes love the 'clean' look of it

Decisions decisions.. none of them are exceptional or particularly expensive but I like them. 4 vintage automatic citizens, a vintage raymond weil and vintage seamaster. The rest are of no real interest.

477014.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Where did you get the Storage box from?

Very like the ones on aliexpress

€ 7,39 40%OFF | 2/6/10/12 Girds Leather/Carbon Fiber Luxury Watch Box Jewelry Storage Box Organizer for Rings Bracelet Display Holder Case
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bGFwg90G

funkyouup wrote: »
    Where did you get the Storage box from?

Amazon.

IMG-20190403-165216-186.jpg

IMG-20190403-165216-193.jpg

IMG-20190403-165216-195.jpg

After looking at a few 1142740 36mm Explorers but for half the price the Tudor BB36 feels like a much better watch on the wrist, most of this is down to it having a proper bracelet and clasp.

So I'm fairly sure the next piece will be the BB36. (36mm Oyster Perpetual is still lurking buts also over twice the price)

But I wait for sterling to tank first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

As someone who’s been pestering watch forums lately, extolling the virtues of the 36mm Datejust and day date over the bigger sizes, I have to say I prefer the 39mm Explorer. I think the older model looks too slight. Really like the BB though.

• Advertisement

As someone who’s been pestering watch forums lately, extolling the virtues of the 36mm Datejust and day date over the bigger sizes, I have to say I prefer the 39mm Explorer. I think the older model looks too slight. Really like the BB though.

Have to say the BB36 is just a great piece. The more I look at it and the more I look at competitors in the new sub 3k category there nothing to touch it! (2k used)

Correct me if I'm wrong though. Sinn come close though.

IMG-20190405-233226-715.jpg

39mm on a 7 inch wrist. It has really grown on me since I got it as I felt unsure after wanting on for so long then feeling it was too large for a while. But I now think it is the perfect modern version of the Explorer. (Well almost perfect :) )

The BB36 will scratch my vintage explorer itch

If you want to scratch the vintage feel and like 39mm then consider the black bay 58.

Wagner German military watch issued by the RLM "Reich Luft Ministerium", Ministry of aviation in world war two. These were mostly issued to paratroopers and some ground staff, not pilots as they're often sold as, no doubt to up the prices.

477154.jpg

477155.jpg

Unlike most of their issued watches these were German made. As Germany needed hard currency to buy other stuff for the war, they turned to local producers for some of their watches(they also made some for the navy with pale dials). They can also come with Nila, Stowa, Aristo and Aeschbach on the dials. These used nice quality Glashutte Urofa movements which were originally designed for "Tank" watches, so the movement is rectangular and fitted to a round chrome plated case. They're slightly larger at 36 mm than most of their issued time only watches which were 35mm or under.

If you want to scratch the vintage feel and like 39mm then consider the black bay 58.

Had it on, it's nice bit I don't like the fake revits the bb36 is much nicer in my eyes I'll stick to my Seiko and Japinese for my dive pieces

20190209-140037.jpgfind e85

Where you try it on? They were slightly difficult to source last year, the Basel effect, prob died off now.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wagner German military watch issued by the RLM "Reich Luft Ministerium", Ministry of aviation in world war two. These were mostly issued to paratroopers and some ground staff, not pilots as they're often sold as, no doubt to up the prices.

SNIP

Unlike most of their issued watches these were German made. As Germany needed hard currency to buy other stuff for the war, they turned to local producers for some of their watches(they also made some for the navy with pale dials). They can also come with Nila, Stowa, Aristo and Aeschbach on the dials. These used nice quality Glashutte Urofa movements which were originally designed for "Tank" watches, so the movement is rectangular and fitted to a round chrome plated case. They're slightly larger at 36 mm than most of their issued time only watches which were 35mm or under.

Wibbs! How have you amassed all there super cool pieces over the years! They are real watches ! Not like us going around with our new Seiko Casio Citizen and Swiss pieces thinking we are we are cool when we clearly are not! But hopefully one day our pieces will be considered somewhat cool.

Where you try it on? They were slightly difficult to source last year, the Basel effect, prob died off now.

Tried that on with a Very nice guy in Paul Sheeran Jewellers. The watch sent for sale but belonged to one if the guys in the store which was very sound of them.

20190209-135443.jpg

20190209-135528.jpg

20190209-140130.jpg

2shea wrote: »
    Wibbs! How have you amassed all there super cool pieces over the years!
    TBH more dumb luck than anything 2Shea. That and being broke/a cheapskate. :) Got into it when vintage watches were "old watches" and dirt cheap for the most part(even secondhand Rolex were much cheaper, unless they were gold). Cheaper than brand name digital watches at the time anyway(plus I find it hard to tell the time on digitals). Military stuff was one area I got into when they were cheap. Sub 100-200 quid. Turned down a few that were 400 quid that would be now 2000, or sold watches that I got kinda bored with and thought I'd made a load on, but if I had them today...

Some are still kinda cheap considering the history. One of the issued German RLM types above can be still had for between 3-500(if you avoid dealers). EG here's one from a different maker with serial number and RLM stamp on the back* for 300 quid or nearest offer.(the case looks refinished to my eye. Too clean and the wrong colour) A fancy dealer would have that in the window for nearer a 1000. Example here from Chrono24 for over a grand. And it's not the original crown and worse not the original hands. Where to look and what to look for is most of it.

*the RLM stamp in these is very faint and often missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Got it last week, pretty chuffed but terrified I'll ding it.

477232.jpg

The more you’re afraid the more chance it will happen, enjoy the watch you will be fine
    Friend of mine bought a nautilus and is too scared to wear it, but he’s driving a car in Dublin surrounded by terrible drivers and it’s worth much more than the watch, funny the way the brain works

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement