Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

bren2001 wrote: »
    Pffft, there's more pressure than you think. I am waiting for your OUAT review to see if I should bother this season as well.

I'll give Grand Hotel a watch.

You'll be waiting a while for OUAT because I ain't going near that hot mess any more :p

Be warned about Grand Hotel, it's ridiculous from the start but in the kind of way that you can't stop watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I forgot she knew. But then she knows everything.
    Richard e grant comes in it this weekend.

What is a weekend? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I disagree – I think it shows great strength of character to chose the guy she is most likely to have the best chance of happiness with, rather than the richest or the guy with the best title. She mentions the part about the wings in reference to the couple who lived separate lives and had little interaction, and if they had a disagreement they’d scarcely know it. She doesn’t want this for herself. After Matthew she wants the best possible choice for a husband (ok admittedly from among the rich and titled!!)

I agree with the comments about the teacher, she is beyond rude.

What does annoy me is the storyline about Bates being dragged up again – can’t they just leave it in the past and introduce some new storylines?

You see I agree with you about it being a positive that she is carefully considering her options with regard to remarriage. I just find it crass she's relying on Anna to do the dirty work for her and explaining it away as her needing to do it because she wouldn't want to end up in a home ten times the size of Anna's with anything less than the perfect man. It seems insensitive and entitled. She could have bought her own contraception in London after all.
    "Things are changing Anna and I can't afford to end up in a situation that you could only dream of".

I agree with you about Bates, have we had a series yet where Bates has not been arrested or nearly arrested? And yet he remains the ultimate sympathetic character as far as the population of Downton go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

The teacher is.so rude i'd never let her in my house.
    Also the farmers wife is horrible. She definitely needs to contract some disease and die. Then Edith can be happy!!!
    Mrs Hughes has definitely enough cop on to know about Edith child.
    I like the relationship between Mrs Hughes and Carson now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭paulbok

Only got to see episode 1 this weekend before the 2nd. The local fire brigade must have a warp drive with the speed they got to the fire in ep.1. You'd have though that by the time they received the call for help, that the local firemen got to the station and then drove up to the house, that half of it would have been ablaze. They had barely broken out the hose in the house itself before they arrived.

Also still waiting for Branson to make a reference to the Irish Free State, 2 years on (in Downton timescale) and the ex-rebel doesn't seem to have noticed it happened.

Sort of watching it out of habit this season so far rather than for the current story arcs.
    Thomas the bully - overdone
    Bates the criminal - overdone, dull
    Lady Chatterly Mary - tedious
    Branson not fitting in - overdone

• Advertisement

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    The teacher is.so rude i'd never let her in my house.
    Also the farmers wife is horrible. She definitely needs to contract some disease and die. Then Edith can be happy!!!

I feel sorry for the farmer's wife. Edith already gave the child up for adoption then took her back, probably breaking some other woman's heart in the process, then she dumps her on this woman who takes her in without question and loves her like her own child only for her husband and Edith to come along and try to take her off her again. Edith's being incredibly selfish in this whole thing. I understand why she is but it's still selfish.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The wife doesn't know it's Edith's child. She thinks it's some random friend of her husband's.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Speaking of 1920's soaps... there's a brilliant Spanish show called Grand Hotel which is basically the same idea as Downton just in a hotel with rich upstairs owners and poor downstairs staff. It's brilliantly ridiculous but it has been that way since the start and it really works. The problem with Downton is that it started off as a really great drama and has descended into nonsense.

So yeah.... you should all watch Grand Hotel instead ;)

Great show. No sign of Sky Arts showing season 3 though - unless I just missed it.

I had to laugh on Gogglebox last week somebody mentioned that the only reason they watch Downton is so they have something to talk to their mother about. That is EXACTLY why I've stuck with it, through the ridiculousness. And it sounds a bit like a lot on these boards have similar reasons.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Great show. No sign of Sky Arts showing season 3 though - unless I just missed it.

They showed some of a series earlier this year and I think they went into the next one but then randomly stopped it again. The last episode the hotel blew up and there was a "next time on..." bit but they didn't air anymore. I asked them on twitter and they said it was finished but I'm not sure if they meant for good or just for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Am I the only one who is a bit bemused by the fact the Lord Grantham's dog is named after an Islamic terrorist organisation??

Of course, given that this series is set in the 1920s, maybe the Islamic terrorist organisation named themselves after the dog.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

quickbeam wrote: »
    I had to laugh on Gogglebox last week somebody mentioned that the only reason they watch Downton is so they have something to talk to their mother about. That is EXACTLY why I've stuck with it, through the ridiculousness. And it sounds a bit like a lot on these boards have similar reasons.
    There's just enough historical stuff around the edges and some decent comedic acting at times (possibly unintentionally) to keep it someway interesting.

That said if this was full blown TV season with better shows on I'd go nowhere near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

chughes wrote: »
    Am I the only one who is a bit bemused by the fact the Lord Grantham's dog is named after an Islamic terrorist organisation??

Of course, given that this series is set in the 1920s, maybe the Islamic terrorist organisation named themselves after the dog.....

I'm imagine a certain ancient Egyptian goddess is pissed off with Downton, the dog and the terrorist nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You seem to define the word "fact" differently than I do.

Downton Abbey is in its fifth season. ISIS, didnt exist two years ago. Lord Granthams dog is actually named after Isis, the Egyptian Goddess of love and marriage.

I'm imagine a certain ancient Egyptian goddess is pissed off with Downton, the dog and the terrorist nuts.

And more so the terrorists, than the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

The dog was named Isis long before the terrorist group became known about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What about the river? You can't leave the river out :eek:

Its after dinner and Charles and Lady Mary get down to business.

Charles: Lady Mary, it is my intention to continue for as long as stamina allows.
    Lady Mary: Why yes Charles what ever you saw.
    <5 minutes later>
    Charles: I say that was rather good! Feeling a bit sleepy now.
    Lady Mary: Is that it? Charles?
    Charles: ZZZZzzzzzzzz
    Lady Mary: I say, Im feeling a bit soggy around my lady parts. Anna? Oh blast, I left my maid at home and baby wipes haven't been invented yet. How inconvenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What about the river? You can't leave the river out :eek:

When Isis was bouncing pyramids off heathens, Oxford was a field in a rainy place. What some twats decided to call a stream millennia later was just one of the first signs that things were taking a downturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭F1fan

Hi everyone,
    I'm afraid I am too afraid of spoilers to read through the posts, but would really appreciate if someone could help. Only saw Downton on the tv listings tonight for the first time this series, so I presume I have missed at least one or two episodes. I am gutted! I would rather not wait for the DVD, does anyone know if the series will be shown again from the start please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

F1fan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm afraid I am too afraid of spoilers to read through the posts, but would really appreciate if someone could help. Only saw Downton on the tv listings tonight for the first time this series, so I presume I have missed at least one or two episodes. I am gutted! I would rather not wait for the DVD, does anyone know if the series will be shown again from the start please? Thanks.

You should get both episodes on the TV3 player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my parents were complaining that some of the indoor scenes appeared very dark..and they had to adjust the telly's contrast...anyone else have that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

does anyone know where I can watch the first few episodes of downtown abbey. I tried the tv3 player but they only seem to have episode on the 1st october. how many did I miss? and can I watch them anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

gubby wrote: »
    I tried the tv3 player but they only seem to have episode on the 1st october. how many did I miss?

The episode on the 1st Oct was the second one. So you have just missed the first one.

I don't know where you catch it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

ok so I only missed one. but does tv3 player not have more than one ? rte player has loads of episodes of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭clareames

Downton seems to be not on the 3 player now... whats going on? finished series 4 last night and was hoping to watch first 2 of series 5 before tonights airing... so disappointed right now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

fryup wrote: »
    my parents were complaining that some of the indoor scenes appeared very dark..and they had to adjust the telly's contrast...anyone else have that issue?

I guess their TV has bad blacks ..

Get a good Samsung LED ... that'll sort it out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭brian_t

clareames wrote: »
    Downton seems to be not on the 3 player now... whats going on? finished series 4 last night and was hoping to watch first 2 of series 5 before tonights airing... so disappointed right now :(

The second episode is there.

Each one is only available for a week.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92500128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Jesus I'd never tire of kicking Ms. Bunting! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

starting to really dislike Miss Bunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Jesus I'd never tire of kicking Ms. Bunting! :mad:

I actually harbour violent thoughts towards her. What a vile little individual!

Advertisement