Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

186 / 187 Skilled Select (Permanent Nominated)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

Mellor wrote: »
    If we have a thread for 186/187 visas. What remaining visa do you suggest goes in the mega thread?

Anything points related. 189, 190, 489 I guess. That's what it is mostly made up of anyway and general visa advice. Of course there are some general 186/7 questions also but I found much more relevant information on this thread.

I am only just recommending that you keep open this thread but that's yer call. Just giving some feedback.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

If we have a thread for 186/187 visas. What remaining visa do you suggest goes in the mega thread?

Maybe a separate one for 189/190 visas, the mega thread is kinda scattered. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I'd like to see this thread kept open, partly to keep me sane :P.
    IMO, the mega thread is messy and hard to read.

Congrats UglyJohn!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

uglyjohn wrote: »
    i probably should have said sooner.

My PR was granted about a month ago. That means 4 months from when my migration agent lodged it.

Civil Engineer going from 457 to EN 186.

Applying under the temporary stream - the applications get processed faster and this is what we have also found.

Rang DIAC again, they said they are still processing July and August applications. They looked up my file and said no CO has been allocated yet but said it should be "soon". Which means bugger all really as they said the same to me 2 months ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Hi All,

I am wondering if you can confirm/correct my understanding of visa 186/187 (I know I must go for a direct entry visa).

Background about myself

- I have a degree in Business with Accounting
    - Also doing my accountancy exams (one left)
    - Currently on a 457 visa (7 months) and the visa will be finishing in November 2013.
    - Girlfriend is de-facto on my current visa.
    - I’m 27 and I’m Irish
    - Currently living in Perth
    - The place I work told me that they want to extend my visa, so I told them about the changes that will take effect in July with regards 457 visa (just to speed up the process of extending my visa)

So I started looking at the 186/187 visa because of the permanent visa you get after two years. I think I will have to get my degree course recognised over here and I will have to do a medical before I apply of a 186/187 visa (presume I don’t have to do the English test).

Ok...now my questions (if you want to know more about my situation/background just ask)

If I applied for this visa and got it, would I be automatically be given a permanent visa after two years or would I have to apply for the permanent visa after two years?

Say if I left Australia after year and a half and went home, would I still get the permanent visa?

What are the benefits to the employer over a 457 ---- Nomination for the visa is free (because of regional status), also they are not responsible for me and only need to give me a contract for two years. (is this correct?)

My girlfriend will be going as a de-facto again but I am wondering if I can also put my brother onto the visa (he is currently in Melbourne and is an electrician but doesn’t have his Oz papers done)

What is the price of the medical and must we all get one done?

If I go and get the regional sponsored visa, will my work place need to get a company to approve the position? (assessment by a regional certifying body?) or would I be better off going for the employer nomination scheme?

Must I get my Irish degree recognised over here and if so want kind of information must I get?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Both of you will need to get a medical- its $330 each. I must be missing something but how is your sponsership visa up in Nov 2013 if you have only been on it 7 months?

Theres two strands to the 186 visa- you can apply the direct entry route if you have evidence of three years fulltime experience and a positive skills assessment

Or

after 2 years on the sponsorship scheme- you wont need a skills assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

statina wrote: »
    I must be missing something but how is your sponsership visa up in Nov 2013 if you have only been on it 7 months?
    What are you unsure about.
    He probably in september or so on a contract that lasted just over 1 year.
    gudede wrote: »
    Hi All,

So I started looking at the 186/187 visa because of the permanent visa you get after two years.

If I applied for this visa and got it, would I be automatically be given a permanent visa after two years or would I have to apply for the permanent visa after two years?
    You get a permanent visa straight away. The 186 is the perm visa.
    I think you are confusing the issue with the partners visa. If the relationship is less than 3 years old, her defacto visa is temporary for two years, if still together, it becomes permanent.

Say if I left Australia after year and a half and went home, would I still get the permanent visa?
    The visa lasts 5 years. Come and go as often as you like then.
    My girlfriend will be going as a de-facto again but I am wondering if I can also put my brother onto the visa (he is currently in Melbourne and is an electrician but doesn’t have his Oz papers done)
    No only partners and dependents are part of the visa.

What are you unsure about.
    He probably in september or so on a contract that lasted just over 1 year.

Fair point! I read it again and I got it- my excuse is its Monday! :P

Fair point! I read it again and I got it- my excuse is its Monday! :P

I know the feeling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Degree being recognised is only part of a skills assessment, depends on what the occupation code is and relevant experience along with the qualification will form the skills assessment. Degree is not the same as skills assessment.

Also a skills assessment for an occupation like accountant I think they now require IELTS English Academic test 7.0 across all 4 bands as a minimum. (irrelevant of passport as its skills assessment related ....not DIAC related)

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry my visa was only for 13 months, you can get a 457 visa for anything over three months to four years.

I will have to get a direct visa, I have over a year work experience in Australia and five years experience back home.

mandrake04, do you know a link where I can look into the skills assessment a bit more?

I'm just unsure what visa to get, I won't stay in Australia long term but if I could get a permanent visa for about 4000K then I would do that (give me more options in later years)

What exact occupation?

I'll probably be sponsored as a contract administrator (51111) that's what I'm currently sponsored as.

I found this page with regards Skills Assessment http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_nominating_occupation.cfm

Must study the information now ha

Finally, Permanent Residency granted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pegleg

Congrats statina what was your timeline?

pegleg wrote: »
    Congrats statina what was your timeline?

Nomination submitted 16/06/2012, approved 17/08/2012. Application submitted 25/08/2012- approved 29/04/2012.

Hey, just wondering had anyone read if there will be any changes to these visas come July? My employer is being slack and I probably won't have lodged by the 1st of July.

Would hate to hear the requirements are changing..

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

Finally, Permanent Residency granted :D
    Congrats, go on the OT's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SyntonFenix

Has anyone on here applied directly for a 187 visa from a WHV?

Is the 187 visa a permanent residency visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Has anyone on here applied directly for a 187 visa from a WHV?
    What difference does it make? People apply with no visa.
    Is the 187 visa a permanent residency visa?
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Well after a hell of a lot of F### ups, both on my part and others at long last its official. I am now a permanent resident of Australia and can stay as long as I want!!!

Happy Days!

Some hope for those still waiting.....finally got my visa granted last week after an epic wait of 15 months (or 467 days)!

Visa: ENS 186
    Method: Non-DRC, Direct Entry

Timeline:
    Applied for Nomination - 30/01/2012
    Nomination Granted - 20/09/2012
    Applied for 186 Visa - 25/09/2012
    Case Officer Assigned - 30/04/2013
    Meds and Police Clearance Submitted - 08/05/2013
    Visa Grant - 10/05/2013

Best of luck for those waiting. FYI: DRC applications (using migration agent) are being processed very fast at the moment. From as little as 6 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Best of luck for those waiting. FYI: DRC applications (using migration agent) are being processed very fast at the moment. From as little as 6 weeks!
    Congrats. Just one question, where do you hear about the latest time for agent applications? It's just that we're concerned that our current 457 sponsor who'll do the ENS with us may not actually have work next year. It's a gamble if we do it ourselves and work runs out before we're finally approved.

catbear wrote: »
    Congrats. Just one question, where do you hear about the latest time for agent applications? It's just that we're concerned that our current 457 sponsor who'll do the ENS with us may not actually have work next year. It's a gamble if we do it ourselves and work runs out before we're finally approved.

Congrats Doc and EoinDoyle! Such a relief to have it after all the months of waiting!

Catbear- if you send a Blank email to nsw.pse@immi.gov.au- you will receive a department of immigration automatic email with estimated time frames.

I also found Pomsinoz and LivingandWorkinginAustralia forums very helpful for getting a good estimate of where the department are at with time processing.

catbear wrote: »

Hi Catbear.

I got the info on latest times for agent applications on a range of forums (boards ie and pomzinoz mostly). Full credit to the mods for keeping this and other sites going. It has helped me lots!

As Statina said (thanks by the way:))! you can also email "nsw.pse@immi.gov.au". You can send a blank email but I emailed them with my name, dob, TRN, and asked specifically about my case (after service standards were exceeded) and received a reply. The auto reply contains the following info (accurate from 30/04/13):

ALLOCATION TIMEFRAMES

We will no longer be publishing allocation dates by processing centre as we are using a number of strategies to manage the caseload more efficiently. Generally we are managing allocations via the following:

Priority 1: Decision Ready, complete applications in ANSCO 1 & 2 occupations (by date of lodgement)
    Priority 2: All other Decision Ready applications (by date of lodgement)
    Priority 3: ANSCO occupations 1 & 2 requiring further documentation (by date of lodgement)
    Priority 4: All other applications by date of lodgement

I have heard one case (in Priority 1) being processed in 6 weeks, I would imagine some even less. However it is pot luck and probably depends on your company (prev sponsor?), agent (new or old), occupation (different case officers)!

If you want PR asap use a MARA registered agent and send it decision ready. I don't like how you are penalised for not using an agent (with long wait times) but thats the way the system is and its making things faster. The agent also acts as a screening tool for IMMI so should be quite sure of approval upon lodgement.

If you want PR asap use a MARA registered agent and send it decision ready. I don't like how you are penalised for not using an agent (with long wait times) but thats the way the system is and its making things faster. The agent also acts as a screening tool for IMMI so should be quite sure of approval upon lodgement.

What does decision ready actually mean?
    Can a self application be decision ready?

I think you have to have a MARA number.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/agents/pdf/ma-checklist-ens-visa.pdf

I think DR is when a agent signs a form saying all docs are correct and decision ready.

• Advertisement

The "Decision Ready" (DR) initiative provides Registered Migration Agents with the capacity to certify their applications as decision ready to enable access to priority processing. They are basically front loaded with everything including medicals and police checks. No further info should be required.

(It is important to remember that although ‘decision ready’ ensures early allocation and assessment;it does not necessarily mean a fast decision.)

More info:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/agents/resources/ens-rsms-decision-ready/

No.

Self applications are doomed to wait for ages at the gates of hell (ie. IMMI) while the escalator fast-tracks thousands of DR applications before you.

Advertisement