Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

186 / 187 Skilled Select (Permanent Nominated)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Its all about intention. If you can prove that at the time of application and grant of your new visa that you intended to stay at the company then there shouldn't be a problem. If however you were going for job interviews during the prepossessing time then it can be proven that you never intended to stay at the job and your visa could in a worse case scenario be revoked if for example your current employer got annoyed at you for leaving and complained to immigration.

I cant say exactly how long you should stay but you have to be able to show that you intended to stay and that circumstances changed after your visa was grated making staying untenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

I've asked this before on other threads some time ago - but is anyone skipping using a migration agent and doing it themselves?

Background to my case:
    • Sponsored 2.5 years (same employer - bf's employer, i'm the defacto) -qualify to skip trade recognition
    • Still have all of our paperwork from sponsorship, just need to get updated irish police cert and get australian police cert
    Had a couple of recommendations for migration agents from a thread about 2 months ago but sent off emails outlining our case and requesting a quote or a call and never got any responses so figured they don't need the business - good indication of what they'll be like to deal with when you are paying them to lodge your application if you ask me! :rolleyes:

Is it relatively easy to do it yourself? What about the company part? What are they required to provide and where can you get advice on what exactly is needed from them?

Appreciate any responses/advice on people who are doing this/have recently done it. Thank you

I'm doing it myself as my company was unlikely to pay for an agent and there was no way I was paying for one. I found the application to be really easy to fill out as it is all online. You just follow the checklist that they provide thick the right boxes and you should have no problems. As I haven't had a decision yet myself I cant say its defiantly the best way to go but unless you are prepared to pay a lot of money on an agent I'd say its easy enough to do yourself.

As the company has already sponsored it should have all the information it needs already just like you do so it should not be a problem for them either.

The immigration website is very clear and easy to navigate and will provide you with exactly what you and your employer need to do and submit.

The only benefit I can see of using a recognized agent is that you can lodge what is called a decision ready application. This basically means that the agent has said that everything is completed and correct for the case officer to just make a decision on the application. Decision ready applications are currently being processed before ordinary applications because there is such a backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tntsawers

Hi all,

I put in for an ENS 186 visa on the 20th October. Nomination was submitted on the 10th October. Got the nomination acknowledgement back but still nothing from the visa. Very frustrating that we pay all that money and we don't even get a correspondence.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

if you send a blank msg to the emailing centre,they will send an update with where theyre at with processing. I emailed thwm today and they said theyre as far as 22nd June for Parramatta Centre.

• Advertisement

Update - been quoted the following for transfer from 457 visa to employer nominated residency by the lawyer we used for our 457 (we are again footing the bill for all costs)

$3060 - Visa application fee
    $540 - Nomination fee (company)
    $4500 + $450(GST) - Lawyer's fee for assistance with application
    Tota: $8,495

Just sickening that i have all of the paperwork (bar updated gardai checks which i will get when im home for christmas in 3 weeks) so have almost a decision ready application. Need to decide what to do in next week or two but at this stage I am more swaying towards sucking it up and just paying it for one of the most important things we've ever done.

Got 2 other quotes, 1 was the exact same, 1 was $7,500 but for the sake of a grand, I think I will just go with the lawyer we used the first time that the company we insisted we use as she knows the company etc.

I'd strongly consider doing it yourself to be honest. The only major difference with using an agent is that you will get the visa quicker. You and the company will still have to gather up all the information.

It is all online so you will be able to see exactly what you need for yours and the companies part. As far as I know, the companies part is simple enough-they have to prove they provide adequate training and are paying your partner above a certain threshold. Obviously there's more to it than that but those are the major parts.

Is there any HR person in your partners company that can help you with this? Has the company put anybody else through the ENS before? Because there hasnt been that many changes since 1st July to the visa, just really that it's changed numbers from 856 to 186 and that everything is now online. You will also get great advice on pomsinoz.com and britishexpats, lots of people on them have done both parts themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

amybabes wrote: »
    Update - been quoted the following for transfer from 457 visa to employer nominated residency by the lawyer we used for our 457 (we are again footing the bill for all costs)

$3060 - Visa application fee
    $540 - Nomination fee (company)
    $4500 + $450(GST) - Lawyer's fee for assistance with application
    Tota: $8,495

Just sickening that i have all of the paperwork (bar updated gardai checks which i will get when im home for christmas in 3 weeks) so have almost a decision ready application. Need to decide what to do in next week or two but at this stage I am more swaying towards sucking it up and just paying it for one of the most important things we've ever done.

Got 2 other quotes, 1 was the exact same, 1 was $7,500 but for the sake of a grand, I think I will just go with the lawyer we used the first time that the company we insisted we use as she knows the company etc.

5k to submit and application. Robbery tbh! Do it yourself and go off around Australia for a month or two with the money you saved.

statina wrote: »
    I'd strongly consider doing it yourself to be honest. The only major difference with using an agent is that you will get the visa quicker. You and the company will still have to gather up all the information.

It is all online so you will be able to see exactly what you need for yours and the companies part. As far as I know, the companies part is simple enough-they have to prove they provide adequate training and are paying your partner above a certain threshold. Obviously there's more to it than that but those are the major parts.

Is there any HR person in your partners company that can help you with this? Has the company put anybody else through the ENS before? Because there hasnt been that many changes since 1st July to the visa, just really that it's changed numbers from 856 to 186 and that everything is now online. You will also get great advice on pomsinoz.com and britishexpats, lots of people on them have done both parts themselves.

To my knowledge they haven't - they're a small enough company, we were the second application for sponsorship they ever put through! That's my only concern - they don't have the resources like a HR dept, think there's 2 girls in the office that do everything!!

I think I'm in the wrong business, should have become a migration agent! :rolleyes:

amybabes wrote: »
    To my knowledge they haven't - they're a small enough company, we were the second application for sponsorship they ever put through! That's my only concern - they don't have the resources like a HR dept, think there's 2 girls in the office that do everything!!

I think I'm in the wrong business, should have become a migration agent! :rolleyes:

If I was you I would explain to them the cost of employing the agent and say that you are willing to do all the work and that as they are already a registered sponsors (as they have sponsored you already for the 457) they don't have to provide very much additional information and that you are prepared to fill out all the paperwork for them just as the agent would and just have them sign where needed. Any reasonable employer will realise that you having to pay $5000 for something that you can do yourself in order for them to keep you is asking a lot.

• Advertisement

Update from Processing Centre
    ALLOCATION TIMEFRAMES

Pre 1 July 2012 Applications

The network is currently allocating applications for assessment as below:
    Processing Centre
    ENS
    RSMS
    Parramatta
    28 June 2012
    15 May 2012
    Melbourne
    8 March 2012
    8 March 2012
    Perth
    21 June 2012
    27 March 2012

Update from Processing Centre
    ALLOCATION TIMEFRAMES

Pre 1 July 2012 Applications

The network is currently allocating applications for assessment as below:
    Processing Centre
    ENS
    RSMS
    Parramatta
    28 June 2012
    15 May 2012
    Melbourne
    8 March 2012
    8 March 2012
    Perth
    21 June 2012
    27 March 2012

Dose this mean they are only processing applications received in Melbourne in March now???

Because if that is what is happening then they are totally incompetent and under staffed. Am I meant to wait another half a year for a visa that is only meant to take 4-5 months to process?

This sounds like bull**** to me as I had a case manager assigned to my last application after two months which I lodged the last work day before the changes came into effect. (June 28th)

I hav'nt heard of anyone getting Non DRC visa post July 1st, have you? I know a good few who have got their visa in the last week, they would have applied just before the changes.

Im estimating it will take another 3 months minimum :(

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i thought it put in a quick note about my case here: going from 457 - Employer nominated PR (EN 186)

i've been on a 457 for about 2 years, my visa application was submitted by my migration agent on the 19th of Nov. i got an acknowledged letter and bridging visa today (email forwarded on by migration agent).

it says "your application has been assessed as a valid application" and not much else. it refers to a "visa application summary" but i cant find it. just a receipt of payment so i think my migration agent forgot to forward it on.

i've emailed her asking about it.

i'll update you guys when there is something to update with!

Update from ENS processing centre
    Processing Centre
    ENS
    RSMS
    Parramatta
    All Cases Allocated
    13 June 2012
    Melbourne
    All Cases Allocated
    1 April 2012
    Perth
    29 June 2012
    26 April 2012

Post 1 July 2012 electronically lodged Applications

"Due to the large influx of applications in June 2012, our capacity to allocate post July 2012 electronic applications has been affected. Decision Ready applications are a priority. We are currently allocating e-lodged applications received July-August 2012"

Hopefully it wont be too much longer for Post July Applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Would anyone here know if a company already sponsored workers on 457 visa how easy would it be for them to sponsor a person on a RSMS 187 visa. Apart from the RCB application that would be required would there be much more paperwork need on their part to prove stuff etc..

Also on a 187 is a skills assessment required if the occupation is ANZCSO skill level 2?

Cheers

Has anyone received good news regarding their application? Its now nearly 8 months since I submitted the application and I haven't heard anything from DIAC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

rightyabe wrote: »
    Would anyone here know if a company already sponsored workers on 457 visa how easy would it be for them to sponsor a person on a RSMS 187 visa. Apart from the RCB application that would be required would there be much more paperwork need on their part to prove stuff etc..

Also on a 187 is a skills assessment required if the occupation is ANZCSO skill level 2?

Cheers

HI guys,

We lodge a lot of these (and ENS) applications for people in Australia.
    A lot of paperwork is required for the employer under the RSMS route compared for example with the 457 visa.

A skill assessment is required if you are applying via the direct entry stream. If you are applying for the RSMS visa under the temporary stream (applying on the back of a 457 visa) then no skill assessment is needed. But you need to work in Australia in your occupation for 2 years and at least 12 months with the current employer.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Has anyone received good news regarding their application? Its now nearly 8 months since I submitted the application and I haven't heard anything from DIAC :(

Hi Statina,

If you applied for under the direct entry stream, then you are looking at about 9 months before things start to happen on your application so hang in there.

We lodge a lot under the direct and temporary streams and the most recent temporary stream application was was on 7 Jan 2013 and granted a case officer yesterday !

So there is a massive difference in applying under the direct or temporary streams.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Declan, does the 9 months just include after you submit the application? Its 10 months since my nomination was submitted. I applied through direct entry. Am so frustrated at this stage :(

• Advertisement

Declan, does the 9 months just include after you submit the application? Its 10 months since my nomination was submitted. I applied through direct entry. Am so frustrated at this stage :(

Since visa application - but timeframes vary all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

HI guys,

We lodge a lot of these (and ENS) applications for people in Australia.
    A lot of paperwork is required for the employer under the RSMS route compared for example with the 457 visa.

A skill assessment is required if you are applying via the direct entry stream. If you are applying for the RSMS visa under the temporary stream (applying on the back of a 457 visa) then no skill assessment is needed. But you need to work in Australia in your occupation for 2 years and at least 12 months with the current employer.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

Hi Declan

Thank you for replying, as far as I was aware from my research any Occupation on ANZSCO skill level 1 or 2 you didnt need a skills assessment.

Here is a copy and paste from immi:

If you apply for the Direct entry stream, you must:
    • have qualification and skills relevant to your nominated occupation
    • have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority if you are nominated as a tradesperson and obtained your qualifications outside Australia
    • have competent English.
    From this I understand you only need your skills assessed if you are a tradesperson. What am I missing? BTW I am a Estimator which is ANZSCO level 2.

rightyabe wrote: »
    Hi Declan

Thank you for replying, as far as I was aware from my research any Occupation on ANZSCO skill level 1 or 2 you didnt need a skills assessment.

Here is a copy and paste from immi:

If you apply for the Direct entry stream, you must:
    • have qualification and skills relevant to your nominated occupation
    • have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority if you are nominated as a tradesperson and obtained your qualifications outside Australia
    • have competent English.
    From this I understand you only need your skills assessed if you are a tradesperson. What am I missing? BTW I am a Estimator which is ANZSCO level 2.

Hi guys

Just to clarify on this - it depends what stream you are applying under.

In short
    ENS - requires a skill assessment
    RSMS - requires qualifications and skills. If you are a tradesman, a skill assessment is also required.

Thanks
    Declan Clune

If you apply for an ENS or RSMS visa through the Direct Entry stream, you will be assessed against the following additional criteria:

– if you are applying for an ENS visa under this stream you need a satisfactory skills assessment from an Australian assessing authority which is specified for your nominated occupation and you have at least 3 years of post-qualification work experience in your nominated occupation.

– if you are applying for an RSMS visa under this stream you need to have qualifications and skills relevant to your nominated occupation. If you are nominated to fill a trade occupation and possess overseas qualifications or rely on work experience, you must have a satisfactory skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority unless you are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod guys this thread is turning into the mega thread we have for skilled migration. Please use this for general questions. Declan has (along with others) a lot of those questions before.
    No reason to have two open.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 eoindoyle_syd

Hey Statina

I've submitted my nomination in January 2012 and was approved in Sept 2012. Sent in visa application 5 days later (25th Sept) and am still waiting.

So coming up to 15months in total and almost 7months for visa app! :confused:

Its bloody ridiculous at this stage. If you applied via a migration agent (decision ready) they are getting approved in as little as 3.5 months and we are being shafted to the back of the queue.

I emailed IMMI last week and they said they are currently processing 186 applications from July and August. Very vague though...

hussey wrote: »
    Mod guys this thread is turning into the mega thread we have for skilled migration. Please use this for general questions. Declan has (along with others) a lot of those questions before.
    No reason to have two open.

I think its valid keeping this thread open. The skilled migration "mega" thread is very muddled with all different types of visas and 30 pages. I found it difficult to find anything related to 186 visa time-frames.

I think its good to have a specific thread for 186/187 PR.

Thanks Declan for replying, guess I'll keep on waiting!

Jees Eoin 15 months, you must be going mad! I rang DIAC as well and they said the same thing, they are processing July and August. When I asked them whereabout in July/August they are, they were unable to tell me. Here's hoping theyre towards end of August.

Im finding it very hard to keep patient at this stage. Had no idea it would take this length or definitely would have used an agent. I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Jees Eoin 15 months, you must be going mad! I rang DIAC as well and they said the same thing, they are processing July and August. When I asked them whereabout in July/August they are, they were unable to tell me. Here's hoping theyre towards end of August.

Im finding it very hard to keep patient at this stage. Had no idea it would take this length or definitely would have used an agent. I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know where you are at.

I've also found out that they have case officers working is different areas (eg. agents handling just Engineering applicants). So they appear to have varied timelines based on occupation. That's maybe why they cant tell you how far they are up to in July / Aug.

Its basically a whole mess and they seem to now be concentrating on DRC applications more than clearing the backlog. It is quite frustrating to see people being assessed (and approved) even though I applied a whole 12 months prior!

I am looking at doing a post grad course this term and cant apply until PR comes through. Only 3 weeks left until applications close. I never thought I would be still waiting. :(

Good luck with yours!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i probably should have said sooner.

My PR was granted about a month ago. That means 4 months from when my migration agent lodged it.

Civil Engineer going from 457 to EN 186.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think its valid keeping this thread open. The skilled migration "mega" thread is very muddled with all different types of visas and 30 pages. I found it difficult to find anything related to 186 visa time-frames.

I think its good to have a specific thread for 186/187 PR.

If we have a thread for 186/187 visas. What remaining visa do you suggest goes in the mega thread?

Advertisement