Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

My modem has a very old firmware on it compared to most and the HTML from pastebin didn't work for displaying the bridge mode version. I got it working by manually adding that 10 line snippet posted in the OP above <div ID="ConnectionSEL" style="display:none">

It enabled fine but it just keeps looping restarts after. With my PC plugged in I can see it picking up the gateway as 192.168.100.1 and I can briefly get to the page between restarts. Its as if its being rejected for being an invalid modem. Factory reset to router mode and it works fine.

Anyone else encountered similar?

Model: Cisco EPC3925
    Vendor: Cisco
    Hardware Revision: 1.0
    Serial Number: 244374287
    MAC Address:: 18:59:33:b7:29:6c
    Bootloader Revision: 2.3.0_R1
    Current Software Revision: epc3925-E10-5-v302r12911-100831cs_upc
    Firmware Name: epc3925-E10-5-v302r12911-100831cs_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Aug 31 2010 17:36:22

Jesus, I've never seen firmware that old on it. I wonder why your modem hasn't had pushed updates to it over the years...

Maybe the earlier firmwares had issues in bridge mode and that's where your troubles lie. Would UPC be able to push an updated firmware to it if you called up and expressed a concern about the older firmware? If you do attempt to make a call to them about it, mention nothing about bridge mode and say that you're having WiFi issues with it and reject any offers to have someone call to replace the modem. Just say you'd like an update and see what their position may be on it.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Jesus, I've never seen firmware that old on it. I wonder why your modem hasn't had pushed updates to it over the years...

Maybe the earlier firmwares had issues in bridge mode and that's where your troubles lie. Would UPC be able to push an updated firmware to it if you called up and expressed a concern about the older firmware? If you do attempt to make a call to them about it, mention nothing about bridge mode and say that you're having WiFi issues with it and reject any offers to have someone call to replace the modem. Just say you'd like an update and see what their position may be on it.

I once has an EPC2203 that was stuck on an older firmware that didn't support DCC properly, so my modem was losing sync any time the CMTS requested a channel change. Rang UPC to explain the issue and encountered the rudest CSR I'd ever had. Denied point blank that there was any issue with the modem and when I tried to explain the problem, cut across me to say that I was talking rubbish about "channels" when the modem didn't have wireless. I almost lost it with him but I said I wasn't getting off the phone until I either had a new firmware pushed or the modem replaced. He went with replacing it and the replacement was fine. So contacting UPC about firmware issues might not get you anywhere!

However, I wonder if a full 30 second reset might coax the Cisco into installing a new firmware? I never tried with my old 2203 because I didn't know then what I do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Karsini wrote: »
    I once has an EPC2203 that was stuck on an older firmware that didn't support DCC properly, so my modem was losing sync any time the CMTS requested a channel change. Rang UPC to explain the issue and encountered the rudest CSR I'd ever had. Denied point blank that there was any issue with the modem and when I tried to explain the problem, cut across me to say that I was talking rubbish about "channels" when the modem didn't have wireless. I almost lost it with him but I said I wasn't getting off the phone until I either had a new firmware pushed or the modem replaced. He went with replacing it and the replacement was fine. So contacting UPC about firmware issues might not get you anywhere!

However, I wonder if a full 30 second reset might coax the Cisco into installing a new firmware? I never tried with my old 2203 because I didn't know then what I do now.

Full 30 second reset doesn't make a difference unfortunately, I tried that too.

I'll have to wait till I have the energy to have an arguement with them on the phone about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hi,

My old Motorola eircom wireless modem wont reach some parts of my house, now someone has kindly donated a Cisco EPC3925 as a spare, would this be still considered ok to work with Vodafone ADSL. Can I get them to work together, in bridged mode, what are the settings I need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Hi,

My old Motorola eircom wireless modem wont reach some parts of my house, now someone has kindly donated a Cisco EPC3925 as a spare, would this be still considered ok to work with Vodafone ADSL. Can I get them to work together, in bridged mode, what are the settings I need.

The 3925 is a docsis modem/router, wont work directly with adsl. Maybe use as an access point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Great thanks I'll read the 1st post! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pretty sure the 3925 doesnt have sufficient config options to do so.

You're far better off going out and buying a basic AP, the 3925 is weaker than even its predecessor the 2425.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 branko72

Please,need help...
    i have done everything as it was said at first post to enable bridge mode on cisco 3925...
    i gone to opera and copy and paste html code provided to administration management
    part and got hidden part to turn from router mode to bridge mode but when
    apply settings it shows me 403 forrbiden black page and that's it...
    after that cisco is again on router mode...
    how to get it to work in bridge mode,cant understamd problem
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 branko72

Serial Number: 244374287
    MAC Address::
    Current Software Revision: e3925-ES-16-c1100r5593-140829c
    Firmware Name: e3925-ES-16-c1100r5593-140829c.bin
    Firmware Build Time: Aug 29 2014 18:36:32

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marconato92

Hi guys.

I'm from Brazil with the same problem, Bridged Only dissapear and when I try the method and press Save Settings, a black page 403 FORBIDDEN appears. I search in this thread by "forbidden" and read all found itens and try all of them, including disconnect coaxial cable.

Someone found the problem to the black page?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I received one of these last week and the setting to switch it to bridge mode was already in the menu. Turned it on and plugged in my own router. Is this new policy from UPC or did I get lucky?

LoGiE wrote: »
    I received one of these last week and the setting to switch it to bridge mode was already in the menu. Turned it on and plugged in my own router. Is this new policy from UPC or did I get lucky?

It has been like this for quite a while now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

I have the 3925 and the wifi range is terrible. Thinking of buying the Archer C2 from Amazon.
    Would the Archer make a difference regarding wifi range?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marconato92

Hi guys.

I'm from Brazil with the same problem, Bridged Only dissapear and when I try the method and press Save Settings, a black page 403 FORBIDDEN appears. I search in this thread by "forbidden" and read all found itens and try all of them, including disconnect coaxial cable.

Someone found the problem to the black page?

Thanks!

Guys? Please!

We're an Irish forum, there may not be any users familiar with Brazilian ISPs here, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grimbo

I've been running in bridged mode for a couple of years. My modem broke last week and they sent me a new one, same model though epc3925. I put it in bridged mode and expected everything to work like it used to. My Asus router gets an IP in this mode but I can't connect to the internet - ping, traceroute etc all timeout or fail due to no dns. The new modem info is:

MAC Address: 7c:b2:1b:46:69:6c
    Current Software Revision: e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc
    Firmware Name: e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time: May 22 17:14:07 2014
    Cable Modem Status: Operational
    Wireless Network: Disable

The only other difference I noticed was t seems to be using ipv6 now.
    http:// i.imgur.com/mQvXCrK.png

Any ideas?

You're on DSLite. Its a form of carrier grade NAT and bridging wont work(on iPV4 anyways).

Call UPC and bitch till they give you back a public IPv4 again.

ED E wrote: »
    You're on DSLite. Its a form of carrier grade NAT and bridging wont work(on iPV4 anyways).

Thanks - I'll give that a go. If they refuse is there a way to bridge it to my Asus Rt66U?

ED E wrote: »

Thanks - I'll give that a go. If they refuse is there a way to bridge it to my Asus Rt66U?

Update: the department that can do the change don't work weekends. I'll have to try again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You might be better off asking in the UPC forum.

just looping back. UPC reset me to IPv4 today and told me to reboot... that didn't work but a factory reset picked up the new IPv4 settings and bridged mode now works again. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

iggy wrote: »
    I have the 3925 and the wifi range is terrible. Thinking of buying the Archer C2 from Amazon.
    Would the Archer make a difference regarding wifi range?

It should be better.

But it will depend if there other factors that will kill even a better signal.

Let me know how you get on, I'm thinking of upgrading my old N router. Like to get something Dual Band, AC with Gigabit and better parental controls.

The TP-LINK AC1200 Archer C5 Dual Band Cable is half price on Argos if you can find it in stock near you. None near me. :( Anyone else suggest a reasonable alternative say under €60 to the above router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

beauf wrote: »
    It should be better.

But it will depend if there other factors that will kill even a better signal.

Let me know how you get on, I'm thinking of upgrading my old N router. Like to get something Dual Band, AC with Gigabit and better parental controls.

The TP-LINK AC1200 Archer C5 Dual Band Cable is half price on Argos if you can find it in stock near you. None near me. :( Anyone else suggest a reasonable alternative say under €60 to the above router?
    Cheers for that. None in stock near me either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Hey guys, quick question. I reset my modem today and now its refusing to turn the bridged mode on... I selected bridged, save the settings and it resets, but it just resets to router mode. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Same happening with the Technicolors. Have they disabled bridging completely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Just checked - mine still in bridge mode (TC7200).
    Does it only happen if you do a full reset, or are they forcing a full reset remotely?

Just checked - mine still in bridge mode (TC7200).
    Does it only happen if you do a full reset, or are they forcing a full reset remotely?
    Have you rebooted? If so, don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Eek. This does not sound good at all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Karsini wrote: »
    Have you rebooted? If so, don't.

Typical 24x7 user here
    System Uptime 118 days 03h:22m:17s

Probably no use doing this but i thought i would add this:

Current Software Revision: e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc

Maybe check if people who have rebooted have a new version.

Bridging is key, and i would not be happy having the option taken away

• Advertisement

I'd say it's the DOCSIS config file. The firmware on my TC7200 didn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

Hey guys, quick question. I reset my modem today and now its refusing to turn the bridged mode on... I selected bridged, save the settings and it resets, but it just resets to router mode. Anyone have this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Exact same thing happened to me. Spent 1/2 an hour on the support line. Eventually they agreed to send me a new modem. I'm hoping it is something to do with NVRAM not saving the setting for bridged mode and not a firmware update removing the functionality. Otherwise I'll be switching ISP. Hope to have the new box by tonight. Will post and see if bridged mode works.

Not going near mine so.
    Current Software Revision:	e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc
    Firmware Name:	e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc.bin
    Firmware Build Time:	May 22 17:14:07 2014
    Cable Modem Status:	Operational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Hi All
    I used to have my 3925 bridged but it stopped working just yesterday completely, Virgin had to do a remote factory reset last night. I tried to reenter the html script but all my browsers wont let me - any tips?

Also when i go into bridging mode anyway, it keeps reverting back to normal mode too, so I may have a router issue now....

But its been working faultlessly for the last 2 years.

redman wrote: »
    Hi All
    I used to have my 3925 bridged but it stopped working Virgin had to do a remote factory reset. I tried to reenter the html script but all my browsers wont let me - any tips?

Also when i go into bridging mode anyway, it keeps reverting back to normal mode too, so I may have a router issue now....

But its been working faultlessly for the last 2 years.
    Sorry to say but it's not a router issue. Virgin have disabled bridging recently. The modem just reverts to router mode.

Please submit feedback here: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057514734

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

That is the exact same settings as mine. I'm guessing the next time you reboot you will loose bridging,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I just noticed this today, f*ckers cant leave anything alone. I thought someone was on my network all the ip addresses were changed.

It is a disaster (first world problem :))

Now to pray for no ESB cuts

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Now to pray for no ESB cuts
    Thank goodness I'v got mine on a UPS :D Hopefully they'll see the error of their ways and undo this stupid change before I have to reboot it for any other reason!

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Thank goodness I'v got mine on a UPS :D Hopefully they'll see the error of their ways and undo this stupid change before I have to reboot it for any other reason!

Good thinking on your part Alun :)

They must be pushing for everyone to be on one router (like the UK SuperHub). Therefore a suit made a decision that there could be cost savings doing this.

I would not mind if their equipment was up to par but as we all know it simply is not.

Imagine that! customers afraid to power off equipment - high tech solution indeed:(

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Good thinking on your part Alun :)

They must be pushing for everyone to be on one router (like the UK SuperHub). Therefore a suit made a decision that there could be cost savings doing this.

I would not mind if their equipment was up to par but as we all know it simply is not.

But they allow bridging in the UK and even tell customers how to do it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I just noticed the guest network can't be disable...

heffsarmy wrote: »
    I just noticed the guest network can't be disable...
    Hopefully you can still disable WiFi completely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Lads I am having awful hassle with this my Airport Extreme is now having a mickey fit due to double NAT which I can't disable and my IP cameras no longer work ;-(

Arciphel wrote: »
    Lads I am having awful hassle with this my Airport Extreme is now having a mickey fit due to double NAT which I can't disable and my IP cameras no longer work ;-(

If you haven't already posted here, please do so. :)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057514734

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Was about to ask was there any where bricks & mortar in Dublin to buy the Archer C8 (or C7 v2) today as I'm completely fed up of having unusable wifi in the house.

Looks like I'll be wasting my time though?

My firmware version is e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc and the option for bridging mode is available to me but the impression I'm getting is it will not work at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Alan3002

Vikings wrote: »
    Was about to ask was there any where bricks & mortar in Dublin to buy the Archer C8 (or C7 v2) today as I'm completely fed up of having unusable wifi in the house.

My firmware version is e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc and the option for bridging mode is available to me but the impression I'm getting is it will not work at the moment?

If it did work, it probably wouldn't last too long before it gets knocked off or disabled.

Best wait for a resolution on this or to move to a different ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Vikings wrote: »

You can set it up as an access point from your Virgin modem. A few of us here have done it this way without using bridging and it works fine. Last place I saw one in a B&W store it was Currys.

I've never gone to the bother of bridging and it works perfect on my home network. I don't have the need, or want, to access it from outside of my home so I'm not bothered by the lack of proper bridging at the moment.

Advertisement