Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The one thing I loved about Borderlands was that there were areas you just didn't go near unless you were above a certain level, or else had very high powered weapons, so there was a real sense of achievement when you went in there and survived. I hope Skyrim adopts a similar style. Oblivion was my first Elder Scrolls game, so did any of the previous incarnations do this?

Yeah, in morrowind, you didn't want to stray away from the roads or go into the water at the beginning. There was a certain amount of levelling but it was much better handled.
    Frankly, I'd buy this to get a horse and ride around looking for ingredients for potions even if everything else was crap.

I love alchemy.

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah, in morrowind, you didn't want to stray away from the roads or go into the water at the beginning. There was a certain amount of levelling but it was much better handled.

Thanks for that. Really hope Skyrim will be the same.

Guh, the whole searching for flowers thing is the reason I couldn't be bothered with the Wizard part.

The fact that the last trailer was PEGI 18 was somewhat interesting too. Since Oblivion was 15, does this mean we could see the same level of violence that is in Fallout 3/New Vegas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I played Oblivion before Morrowind (I know, I know a stupid mistake I regret passing on) and though I've tried so many times, I just can't get into Morrowind. The graphics don't bother me at all, I think it's the combat system and all that text you have to go through kind of puts me off :pac:

Anywho, absolutely loved Oblivion and the fact that I could wander off into the wilderness for days finding all sorts of things (the troll who committed suicide was a great find :D).

The game looks ace, easily looking forward to it far more than any game or movie that will be out this year.

Yeah the combat system in morrowind is a pain in the hole but it ceases to be much of an issue after level 15. Just buy yourself a load of training and level up with easy missions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Star_Cow

I hope this game wont have as many glitches as Oblivion
    I also know why there's a Scripted death scene for the Huge 4 Armed Demon guy its because hes ragdoll goes all funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,147 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah the combat system in morrowind is a pain in the hole but it ceases to be much of an issue after level 15. Just buy yourself a load of training and level up with easy missions.
    The combat was horrible in general. So many oblivion gates; you basically had about 40 gates and 5 "Templates" meaning you're basically running the same dungeon close to a dozen times. It gets verrrry boring. I hope they've gone to the effort of design unique or virtually-unique dungeons, something which would be an absolute feat, but worth it. Even Mass Effect suffered from a bunch of bland sameness on the side-missions. And I loved that game :(

Never even considering the fact that both games suffer the Level-Scaling "Bugfeature" which means you never feel like you accomplished anything because you're never faced with any challenge that hasn't been scaled to your level. In ME it's understandable if you're carrying over a lvl 45 char from your last run but even then, I kind of hate it. I'd rather there were places I was afraid to go because I would be completely overpowered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Agreed on the oblivion gates, between them and the enemies levelling with you I was a bit let down by it. Only in comaprison to Morrowind mind, it was a fantastic game in its own right but I'd love if Skyrim took what made both games great and expanded on that, rather than sticking to the Oblivion template.

Oblivion gates in morrowind? I meant when you begin your game that you're like
    <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <swish> <whack> <swish> <swish> <swish>
    and it's a bit WTF is this about. You don't notice it as much when you're a bit into the game and you're hitting them a bit more.

The oblivion gates were ridiculous. Absolute pain. I started running through them invisible. Then chameleon. Then had the akatosh dragon mod and flew directly up to the top of the towers. I liked the dungeons in Morrowind a bit more. There wasn't an Ayleid ruin, castle, cave or oblivion gate at every corner. The shrines were generally a lot smaller with a few big ones here and there. I think that they were a bit more interesting in that respect. Plus the items weren't levelled as much.

This was posted in Cool Vids and Pics and think it deserves to be here

Slightly NSFW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Apparently Skyrim will be somewhat of a middle ground between Morrowind and Oblivion with regards to weirdness. Every new piece of information I hear about this game makes me want to play it more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Just watch the gameplay trailer, I came a little :p

Will definally have to upgrade the aul PC when I get this game. Looks unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Yakult wrote: »
    Just watch the gameplay trailer, I came a little :p

Will definally have to upgrade the aul PC when I get this game. Looks unbelievable.

I wonder will it require much of an upgrade, it still has to run on consoles after all.

An SSD might be useful to reduce pop-up though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And some new screenshots have come out; naturally because of the day that's in it, I'm still suscpicious, but they seem geniune (as well as totally awesome)

http://kotaku.com/#!5787958/these-new-shots-from-skyrim-are-no-laughing-matter/gallery/1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It looks amazing. I really want to see some more gameplay trailers though. It's only 224 days until it's released.

That one with the river looks delicious.

Are those translucent dragons?

153713.PNG

• Advertisement

Looked it up on the forums; they're ice wraiths. Looks cool and the sword too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

need another trailer with some gameplay soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wonder will it require much of an upgrade, it still has to run on consoles after all.

An SSD might be useful to reduce pop-up though.

True that. They're producing the game to be able to play on the 360... a console that's showing its limits now with modern games. Dead Space 2 needed to discs as well as some other large games needing multiple discs. I really hope they just make game without really thinking of the limitations of the 360 and if it needs to be spread across on multiple discs then so be it. Obviously, the PC and ps3 versions won't have any of that problem. They're getting pretty good at making the ps3 graphics as close to PC as possible but it'll still never reach it. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »

Sounds awesome!I want it even more now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I hope they make Lockpicking legitimately hard, it got to the point where we could open a Very Hard lock with 1 pick and level 1 skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

COD:MW3 just announced for November 8th which more than likely means 11th for Ireland/Europe.

Don't know if Skyrim would have had a midnight launch but COD might. Not pushed about COD but would go to a midnight launch to see if i could pick up Skyrim :D

Want to get my hands on that games as soon as humanly possible....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Won't that mean Uncharted 3 will be released on that day too? Hmmmm....

Time to start saving...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

jamezy wrote: »
    COD:MW3 just announced for November 8th which more than likely means 11th for Ireland/Europe.

Don't know if Skyrim would have had a midnight launch but COD might. Not pushed about COD but would go to a midnight launch to see if i could pick up Skyrim :D

Won't that mean Uncharted 3 will be released on that day too? Hmmmm....

Time to start saving...
    Now THAT is a midnight launch I would be more than happy to go to. Not too pushed on CoD but Elderscrolls and Uncharted 3 is reason enough to head out there at midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

jamezy wrote: »

Pretty sure COD has a universal release date so if it's the 8th in America it will be the 8th over here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

skyrim.jpg
    Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Platforms: Playstation 3, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360
    Release Date: November 11, 2011
    Genre: Action RPG, Open World.

Official Gameplay Trailer:

Official Screen Shots:

skyrim01.jpg

The_Elder_Scrolls_5_-_Skyrim_Screenshot_5.jpg

SYNOPSIS:
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is scheduled to be released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim is set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion, in the land of Skyrim.
    The province has erupted into civil war after the assassination of its king.
    Concurrently, the god Alduin, who takes the form of a massive dragon, has arisen to destroy the world.
    The player character is the last living Dovahkiin (Dragonborn), and must fend off Alduin and save Skyrim from destruction.

Setting:

Skyrim is a region set in the northern part of Tamriel. It is the home of the Nords, large men and women, who have a strong resistance - if not immunity - to frost. It is bordered by Morrowind to the east, Cyrodiil to the south, Hammerfell to the southwest, and High Rock to the west. The island of Solstheim lies to the northeast.

Skyrim_map.jpg

Playable Races

1. 1. Altmer (High Elves)
    2. 2. Argonian (Reptilians)
    3. 3. Breton (Humans)
    4. 4. Bosmer (Wood Elves)
    5. 5. Dunmer (Dark Elves)
    6. 6. Imperial (Humans)
    7. 7. Khajiit (Felines)
    8. 8. Nord (Humans)
    9. 9. Red Guard (Humans)
    10. 10.Orsimer (Orcs)

Engine:

Skyrim will use a brand new engine, called the Creation Engine, which was built by Bethesda. This upgraded Graphics and Radiant AI(advanced way NPCs react to you), along with Radiant Storytelling.

Radiant Storytelling is a feature that Bethesda is using in their engine for Skyrim that acts as a narrator for your character in the world. It senses when you've killed someone and alerts their familys and it adjusts game difficulty depending on your skills. It also changes different things in quests such as different reactions or outcomes depending on how you play. Entering a city, a young woman might approach you and beg you to save her daughter from kidnappers. The game will look at the nearby dungeons you've explored, automatically set the mission in a place you've never visited, and designate opponents that are appropriately matched to your strengths and weaknesses.

You won't find townspeople loitering aimlessly in town squares anymore. Each citizen performs tasks that make sense in their environment. To impart the towns and cities with a greater sense of life, Bethesda has populated them with mills, farms, and mines that give the NPCs believable tasks to occupy their day. The improved Radiant AI technology is also more aware of how a citizen should react to your actions. As you perform tasks for them or terrorize them by ransacking their home, the NPCs develop feelings about you. If you're good friends with a particular NPC and barge into his house during the middle of the night, he may offer you lodging rather than demand you leave the premises. If you swing your weapon near an NPC, knock items off their dinner table, or try to steal something of value, they'll react with an appropriate level of hostility given their prior relationship to you.

Official E3 Gameplay Demo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

15 minute preview of the game is up online; unfortunately you have to suffer the teeth-grindingly annoying G4 presenters, but it's worth it for a real sense of how the game plays - combat, dialogue, spells, etc. I am now officially excited, it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pixelburp wrote: »
    unfortunately you have to suffer the teeth-grindingly annoying G4 presenters,

They act exactly like the kind of people that have never played a game in their lives, excruciating stuff.

The game looks great though!

edit: just googled Morgan Webb, in fairness she seems to have played a game or two. Any she ain't too bad on the eyes i guess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

So, Nobody wants to talk Skyrim?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

It's being discussed in the Games forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056117319&page=6.

Unlocking and moving to Games forum.

Mods - Please merge.
    Thanks.

There's an Elder Scrolls forum as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible

What do people think of this? Personally I dont want to see Skyrim too dumbed down to be honest. I hope the development team have not gone too far down that road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.”"

hrm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Is oblivion worth getting?

On looks alone and having never played this series before Skyrim looks amazing and I will be picking up that.

I don't want to jump into this without some previous experience, but if Elder Scrolls 4 was crap then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

On looks alone and having never played this series before Skyrim looks amazing and I will be picking up that.

I don't want to jump into this without some previous experience, but if Elder Scrolls 4 was crap then so be it.

All I will say is that Elder Scrolls took my life away for an entire summer. The game is vast, however, the dungeons in the game are pretty much rinse and repeat but it doesn't take away from the excellence of the game. Can be picked up cheap enough too, just make sure you get the GOTY edition for all the extras.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    All I will say is that Elder Scrolls took my life away for an entire summer. The game is vast, however, the dungeons in the game are pretty much rinse and repeat but it doesn't take away from the excellence of the game. Can be picked up cheap enough too, just make sure you get the GOTY edition for all the extras.

Cheers,

If a game comes with more good moments than bad then I don't mind it. Fallout 3 was a little tedious at times but overall the game was amazing. If Oblivion is anything like the Fallout games then I will not think twice about picking it up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tell your girlfriend, friends and family that you won't be seeing them for a few months and then buy oblivion.

Tell your girlfriend, friends and family that you won't be seeing them for a few months and then buy oblivion.

What about my job, I kinda need that... :(

• Advertisement

Cheers,

If a game comes with more good moments than bad then I don't mind it. Fallout 3 was a little tedious at times but overall the game was amazing. If Oblivion is anything like the Fallout games then I will not think twice about picking it up.

Its in my top ten of best games I've ever played. Its one of those games where I've run out of superlatives to describe it. It's similar to Fallout 3 in that its an open ended RPG. You can do the ol' good or evil thing as well if you fancy either side and the addition of magic and spells made it all the more excellent. I cannot recommend it enough. Would definitely pass your time until Skyrim is released.

I think I will go out and buy this next week then so.

I have a good few games to get through at the moment though, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas,Mass Effect 2,F.E.A.R, Condemned and Tropico 3. A busy few weeks ahead!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What about my job, I kinda need that... :(
    Pfft, and you call yourself a gamer.

I think I will go out and buy this next week then so.

I have a good few games to get through at the moment though, Bioshock 2, Fallout New Vegas,Mass Effect 2,F.E.A.R, Condemned and Tropico 3. A busy few weeks ahead!

Few months more like it... good luck, god speed, live long and prosper and all that...

But don't come crying on here when you're all disheveled from your 'adventures' :pac:

Pfft, and you call yourself a gamer.

I need my job to get money to buy games! Its a never ending vicious circle :( Unless you want to give me money? :pac:
    aaronh007 wrote: »
    Few months more like it... good luck, god speed, live long and prosper and all that...

But don't come crying on here when you're all disheveled from your 'adventures' :pac:

Ha,I have youth on my side. I am fit and healthy, my best years ahead of me, I see this as not a challenge but more a formality :pac:

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible

What do people think of this? Personally I dont want to see Skyrim too dumbed down to be honest. I hope the development team have not gone too far down that road.

Hmm, not too happy about this. It sounds really negative. Granted, more accessible doesnt necessarily mean dumbed down, but i'm still worried. It doesnt need to be dumbed down anyway. Nothing in Oblivion was complicated. Seriously, do they think just cause it's on a console, that the people playing are retarded? Why do developers seem to think that people playing on a console can't handle some stats?

I'll still play it, and i'll still love it, but i hope that they don't shaft the people who have been playing their games for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Kiith wrote: »
    Seriously, do they think just cause it's on a console, that the people playing are retarded? Why do developers seem to think that people playing on a console can't handle some stats?

There are plenty of console gamers who enjoy a complex game as much as the rest of us pc gamers, but sadly it appears that the purchasing power of the casual console (or PC for that matter - just there appear to be more of the console type) gamer is proving too attractive to risk alienating.

It would be nice of you could have two different modes of play - ala a more complicated version of Hardcore mode in Fallout NV - such that you can have a more complex interface and inventory/skill/crafting interactions for those players who want the more complex game, and a more casual mode that still works as a good game for those that don't. I don't know how viable that would be though.

It will disappoint me though if Skyrim goes the route of trying to please casual console/PC gamers instead of sticking with the audience of those who like a deep/complex game - on both platforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I don't really think this is necessarily a PC Vs console debate.

Its more of a intensive gameplayer Vs casual gameplayer debate, irrespective of platform. Making a game "more accessible" can be seen as making the game less complicated in nature in order to allow the casual gameplayer to just get in and out of the game at ease.

Which is worrying, considering TeS complexity (especially in areas such as lore and the like) have contributed to the games critical acclaim. I am just hoping Lafferty is really only referring to the navigation menus and the like . . . but all the same it needs clarifying.

What's the problem? Oblivion had a console-centric UI, and thanks to the large modding community, that quickly got sorted. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever played "Vanilla" Oblivion. As soon as I installed it I added a myriad of mods.

I don't really think this is necessarily a PC Vs console debate.

Its more of a intensive gameplayer Vs casual gameplayer debate, irrespective of platform. Making a game "more accessible" can be seen as making the game less complicated in nature in order to allow the casual gameplayer to just get in and out of the game at ease.

Which is worrying, considering TeS complexity (especially in areas such as lore and the like) have contributed to the games critical acclaim. I am just hoping Lafferty is really only referring to the navigation menus and the like . . . but all the same it needs clarifying.

I'd agree with that, and wouldn't put it down to Console vs. Pc either. I just wish, as Dave The Sheep said, that they'd have both options in games. Give us the game with everything included, and stats and numbers all over the place. Then give an option to turn it all off, and just have that running in the background for casuals. And as you say, for TeS, it's a game that has always been built on these features. To remove them is a bit of a slap in the face to long time fans.

Again though, i'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope that they get it right.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    What's the problem? Oblivion had a console-centric UI, and thanks to the large modding community, that quickly got sorted. Heck, I'm not sure I've ever played "Vanilla" Oblivion. As soon as I installed it I added a myriad of mods.

The problem here is that it takes ages for most of these mods to make big changes to the game, especially with a completely new engine. Hopefully since the mod tools are available at launch (iirc), we'll get some good mods quickly enough. Actually, hopefully we won't need the mods to fix things that are totally broken, but maybe that's being optimistic :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,560 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'm hoping my little finger gets a rest and i won't be bunny hopping around like a loon trying to build up my stats

• Advertisement
Advertisement