Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sillydog10

I'm not that either for the record :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

spurious wrote: »
    Mod note:
    A number of posters posting in this thread about great improvements in HPAT scores are all coming from the one IP.

Please be very wary of believing everything in this thread, particularly anything extolling the virues of a revision course.

They were making spurious claims. I vote they be named and shamed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

They were making spurious claims. I vote they be named and shamed!

absolutely.. Seems to make perfect sense to name the people so that people can at least make an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

spurious wrote: »
    Mod note:
    A number of posters posting in this thread about great improvements in HPAT scores are all coming from the one IP.

Please be very wary of believing everything in this thread, particularly anything extolling the virues of a revision course.
    Jesus, really?

Some people have no shame, I can see why said course's name was added to the expletive list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Some people have no shame, I can see why said course's name was added to the expletive list.
    Oh, believe me, it was much much worse when that step was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 itsmawadii

Nothing much we can do now, so I suppose we play the waiting game...

itsmawadii wrote: »
    Nothing much we can do now, so I suppose we play the waiting game...

The 45 day long waiting game...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emma35

I know that most UK colleges specify that leaving cert results have to be obtained on the first attempt, but Queens only says that about the A levels. Has anyone any idea if it is the same there as regards the leaving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

Hi just enquiring if anyone knew of any med schools in Scotland/England that don't require an A in Junior Cert science?
    Thanks

Aaaand then there was silence. Ah well, only another 35 days to go..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Emma_O25

Hey guys, not meaning to sound annoying but with a HPAT of 179 (90th centile) what are the lowest LC points you reckon I need to get in to Cork/Galway? Just so I see if I have any chance at all! Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Emma_O25 wrote: »
    Hey guys, not meaning to sound annoying but with a HPAT of 179 (90th centile) what are the lowest LC points you reckon I need to get in to Cork/Galway? Just so I see if I have any chance at all! Thanks

anything around 550 as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭back to back

now that we know the" supply and demand"-(the number of cao applications for medicine post july 1st is 2873 ( i.e. decrease of 7.8%) and the no.of places has been adjusted to 483 total for the 5 medical schools
    does anyone want to predict the cao points and perhaps their reasoning ????

now that we know the" supply and demand"-(the number of cao applications for medicine post july 1st is 2873 ( i.e. decrease of 7.8%) and the no.of places has been adjusted to 483 total for the 5 medical schools

Where is the sources on the number of seats this year? Is it down/up from last year?

yesterdays irish times -brian mooney (education correspondent ) got the figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sunnydee

NUIG: 729
    UCC: 732
    RCSI:731
    UCD: 737
    Trinity: 739

This is based on the fact that it's (almost) certain there'll be a 10 (if not 11) point drop across the board due to the change in hpat percentiles. What are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 egg head

hi back to back,
    I wonder where did he get the figures? I asked HPAT earlier on this year how many sat the exams and I was told 2650.

I'm never particularly impressed by Brian Mooney's analysis. In the article that back to back mentions, Mooney says that the reduction in "demand (he doesn't specify whether that refers to First Preferences or to any mention) can be attributed to students dropping this option having realised their HPAT test score, received in late June, put them out of the race for a place". Given that last year's Hpat results also came out before the CAO deadline, that explanation doesn't carry much weight.

It seems Mooney has access to the final applicant statistics. Does anyone know if they are available publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

egg head wrote: »
    hi back to back,
    I wonder where did he get the figures? I asked HPAT earlier on this year how many sat the exams and I was told 2650.
    You don't have to do the hpat to apply for medicine . This could explain the difference in numbers. Think of mature students and others.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You don't have to do the hpat to apply for medicine . This could explain the difference in numbers. Think of mature students and others.

If I understand you correctly, you pointed out that one needn't have done the Hpat in order to put Medicine as one of their choices - even though they do not, therefore, meet all the entry requiremnts. That's correct, but it seems unlikely that many would do that in large numbers.

Mature students are still required to have done the Hpat, and only results from pre-2013 can be used instead of ones from year of application - again, that would hardly account for a sizeable disparity between the two numbers.

• Advertisement

egg head wrote: »
    hi back to back,
    Did you ask them before the July deadline? If what they said is true then the articles claims that 2872 have med number one(or on their cao? article doesn't seem to specify) is absolutely ridiculous. There is no way that more people put med on their cao after the change of mind, unless everyone who got 75+ decided to keep med off of their cao until the change of mind which isn't very possible since you have to have one med course on your cao to actually sit the hpat, but like all things ACER/HPAT related, we'll probably never get a definitive answer.

I'm never particularly impressed by Brian Mooney's analysis. In the article that back to back mentions, Mooney says that the reduction in "demand (he doesn't specify whether that refers to First Preferences or to any mention) can be attributed to students dropping this option having realised their HPAT test score, received in late June, put them out of the race for a place". Given that last year's Hpat results also came out before the CAO deadline, that explanation doesn't carry much weight.

It seems Mooney has access to the final applicant statistics. Does anyone know if they are available publicly?

i agree his analysis is sub-optimal!!!
    the cao medicine applicants number pre july 1st was;
    2008-2351
    2009-2913
    2010-3292
    2011-3377
    2012-3719
    2013-3481
    2014-3277 (2873 post 1st july

i'd be interested in other people's analysis???

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy3

This has probably been asked a million times but just wondering if you need HPAT and LC in the same year or can the LC points roll over and just repeat the HPAT in March? If so, do u still apply through the CAO ? Thanks guys :)

Hi, yeah, you can do that, only
    rule is that you have to sit HPAT same year you apply to college.

sorry about the repeats, answered via my phone, don't know how to delete posts from boards.ie :(

Ermagod. This day two weeks lads..

Ermagod. This day two weeks lads..

Once the countdown on my phone goes to single digits I'll start losing sleep ughhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5 johngalooly

Hey,
    Does anyone on here know much about the DARE scheme and what the point reduction is really like? I have heard that more medicine applicants are on point reduction schemes (DARE, HEAR, Elite Athletes, etc.) than any other course applicants but as far as I can see no one on here is talking about it. The school said that the only person they've had with the dare scheme got into trinity while being 20 points short, So if any of you have more info about this I'd love to hear it.

Hey,
    Does anyone on here know much about the DARE scheme and what the point reduction is really like? I have heard that more medicine applicants are on point reduction schemes (DARE, HEAR, Elite Athletes, etc.) than any other course applicants but as far as I can see no one on here is talking about it. The school said that the only person they've had with the dare scheme got into trinity while being 20 points short, So if any of you have more info about this I'd love to hear it.

Don't really know much about the HEAR and DARE schemes to be honest..But just wondering, did your friend get a 20 point reduction for medicine? Or was it some other course? Like 20 points for medicine is a lot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 johngalooly

Don't really know much about the HEAR and DARE schemes to be honest..But just wondering, did your friend get a 20 point reduction for medicine? Or was it some other course? Like 20 points for medicine is a lot...

I didn't know her it was just a case the school told me about and it was medicine in trinity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement