Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-02-2014, 16:16   #361
scriba

Fri 21/2/2013

Distance Time Avg Pace Climb Avg HR
12.36 km 1:13:18 5:55/km 109

This was my second 10 mile-dedicated session, the plan was to hit 5 x 1.5km intervals at 5:00/km pace, leaving myself 2 minute recovery between each one. This was very tough, and to make things worse, I had to abandon my planned flat stretch after the second interval, because a strong wind was blowing directly into me, and tackle the remaining three on a somewhat uneven and predominantly uphill route back home. [If anyone knows any flat sheltered stretches to the west or north-west of Tralee, let me know ]

Anyway, the intervals ended up bang on, in terms of time, although I shudder to think at the effort levels. Paces/km for 1.5km intervals were:

1 2 3 4 5
4:58 4:59 4:59 4:56 4:56

I felt like bailing about 1km into the fourth split, but I just about managed to hold on. Then there was only one left to do. This session has definitely boosted my confidence. Whether it has any real bearing on my target pace for Sunday fortnight, I'm not so sure, but we'll see.

I'll do some recovery running tomorrow morning, and then a 16-17km MLR on Sunday. I may throw in 30-40 mins of 5:20/km into the middle of this, depending on the legs. I'm aware that at the moment, nearly 40% of my running is at the quicker end, which is obviously unsustainable in the long run (ahem). Having said that, this hard work is exactly what I needed mentally.

16 days to go.

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Feb 11 17.76 km 104.65 km 138.68 km

Last edited by scriba; 21-02-2014 at 22:15. Reason: Table repair.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-02-2014, 19:11   #362
Ososlo

nice session today
Things seem to be going in the right direction for you.
Now if you'd only convert to imperial....
Thanks from:
21-02-2014, 21:26   #363
scriba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ososlo View Post
nice session today
Things seem to be going in the right direction for you.
Now if you'd only convert to imperial....
Jayzus

7.68 miles 1:13:18 8:57/mile 357.612 ft

Intervals of distance 0.932057 miles

1 2 3 4 5 6
8:00/mile 8:01 8:01 7:56 7:56

Totals in miles

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Feb 11 11.04 miles 65.03 miles 86.17 miles

I feel a sudden, urgent need to own countries thousands of miles away.
(3) thanks from:
21-02-2014, 21:29   #364
Ososlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriba View Post
Jayzus

7.68 miles 1:13:18 8:57/mile 357.612 ft

Intervals of distance 0.932057 miles

1 2 3 4 5 6
8:00/mile 8:01 8:01 7:56 7:56

Totals in miles

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Feb 11 11.04 miles 65.03 miles 86.17 miles

I feel a sudden, urgent need to own countries thousands of miles away.
Nice one You do that in your head?
21-02-2014, 21:41   #365
scriba

Quote:
Nice one You do that in your head?
Ha, no, I wanted the exact numbers, so I banged them into excel. But when I run, I spend a good portion of time converting km distances and paces to miles in my head, to compare where I'm at with other boardsies. So why not switch to miles? Because whenever I clock myself in miles, especially in races done by mileage, I just torment myself by mentally converting numbers back into km. One race, I found myself doing it back and forth. People think I'm physically tired after long runs, but in reality, my brain is having a stroke.

I've often thought about switching to imperial, but I like the higher distance numbers and lower pace numbers that come with metric too much!

Congrats on your return to running, btw! I recommend 16 miles incorporating 24 x 200m @ 1K race pace to test out all the moving parts.
Advertisement
21-02-2014, 21:45   #366
Ososlo

Quote:
Ha, no, I wanted the exact numbers, so I banged them into excel. But when I run, I spend a good portion of time converting km distances and paces to miles in my head, to compare where I'm at with other boardsies. So why not switch to miles? Because whenever I clock myself in miles, especially in races done by mileage, I just torment myself by mentally converting numbers back into km. One race, I found myself doing it back and forth. People think I'm physically tired after long runs, but in reality, my brain is having a stroke.

I've often thought about switching to imperial, but I like the higher distance numbers and lower pace numbers that come with metric too much!

Congrats on your return to running, btw! I recommend 16 miles incorporating 24 x 200m @ 1K race pace to test out all the moving parts.
Funny. Maybe just concentrate on the pain for the next race and forget the numbers I'm really thick when it comes to numbers so maybe that's a blessing in disguise as I couldn't be doing with all that mental arithmetic
Ok so I'll tackle that session first thing in the morning and maybe do a lsr in the evening as I've a lot of catching up to do but i'll leave at least 5 hours between sessions and that should be fine I'm sure
Thanks from:
21-02-2014, 21:52   #367
Pacing Mule

Quote:

I was the same Scriba. Bit the bullet and converted to miles mainly so I could speak the same language as everyone here spent the first few weeks like a Spanish foreign exchange student wandering around dublin. Few weeks on though and I don't miss the km at all.
(2) thanks from:
25-02-2014, 22:46   #368
scriba

Tue 25/2/2013

4.00 km 29:xx 7:2X some

Don't have exact details to hand, slow jog with my partner, who's decided to train for her first ever race, a 10K 8 weeks from now. Opportunities for running for me have been non existent since last time out, work load horrendous at the moment, so I'm hoping to get a nice long run in tomorrow, with 8k @ around 5:15/km pace in the middle. I'll then repeat the session on Saturday or Sunday, with as much easy running in between as I can muster.

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Feb 12 21.76 km 108.65 km 142.68 km
Thanks from:
25-02-2014, 22:47   #369
scriba

Quote:
Maybe just concentrate on the pain for the next race
I'm sure I won't have to concentrate too hard. There'll be guts spilled.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-03-2014, 15:11   #370
scriba

Time's been at a premium lately, so just a quick update of last weeks runs, got two more recovery pace runs out with my partner.

Thurs 27/2/2014

5.36 km 41:11 7:41 67

Sat 1/3/2014

6.45 km 48:16 7:29 79

Sun 2/3/2014

14.5 km 1:21:35 5:38 170

I threw in 40 mins of race pace/effort, working out at 7.52km, with average at 5:19/km. This was tough enough, but looking back, the headwind was rough, my heart was barely in it, and a week of 5 hour sleepses may have contributed. Along with my lack of fitness, and extra carried weight! I'll head out at Ballycotton at 5:15/km pace, and try push on from halfway, depending on how I'm chugging along.

Next race already lined up, the Ballybunion HM in the middle of April. Looking forward to tackling some of those godawful HM sessions. 7 miles at HMP or bust!

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Mar 2 30.31 km 20.95 km 168.99 km
10-03-2014, 10:34   #371
scriba

Similar time issues this week

Fri 7/3/2014

5.02 km 35:11 7:00/km 60

Just a brief slow jog to get my legs loosened out for Ballycotton on Sunday. It felt awful, couldn't get going. My legs were like lead after an eleven mile hike on Tuesday evening.

Sun 2/3/2014

Ballycotton 10.

That time of year already. I ran this with my brother. Driving down, I was in two minds about whether or not to track this on GPS. My confidence was suffering a little bit, not a lot of training done, I was slower and heavier than last year, and feeling generally sluggish. I knew I'd be constantly checking my time and thinking negatively about my split times, regardless of what they were, so I left it in the car, and went with my trusty stop watch, and decided to hang in with my brother as long as I could last - he was heading out at 5:15/km pace to begin with.

So off we went, I was feeling pretty good for the first four miles or so, chatting and settling into a rhythm. Because I don't have a lot of miles in my legs this year, I knew that endurance was going to be a big issue, so the longer I stayed like this, the better! But from mile 4, the pace was getting to me, and I was working too hard, so I pulled back a bit. Since I was on the stopwatch, I was clocking my splits in miles rather than km, according to the markers. I ran though the 5 mile mark at 8:30 or close to it, and the 6 mile mark at 8:42 or 3. I was working hard at this stage, and struggling with some serious demons. But I was doing okay, my form hadn't fallen apart or anything like that, I just felt really, really slow! It probably didn't help that I had fallen in between people's traditional target times, so the personnel was constantly changing around me.

Got to mile 7, stopped for about 15 seconds to take a sip of water and just relax the head, I obviously wasn't heading for a pb (which didn't help), but it was enough to give myself a stern talking to about being in the here and now, and getting the best possible result with where I am right now. So set off again, at about 9:05ish on the watch at mile 7, and got home with three comfortably sub 9 minute miles. Felt the usual mental torture during the longest home straight mile in Irish racing, and was blowing hard when I crossed the line. Couldn't have given any more yesterday, really pleased actually, it's great to have a baseline to work future training off, it's really given me some confidence back after my DNF in Cork last summer, after I dug in there, and in some ways, it was good to complete a race where my body really didn't feel like racing.

The things we do for mugs.

16.2 km 1:26:55 5:22 ??

+ 1.8km warmup at about 6:30/km pace

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Mar 4 23.02 km 43.97 km 192.01 km

Next race is the Ballybunion half, in 6 weeks time. Not much of a plan for it, apart from getting the long run beyond the distance, and getting a few long LT sessions in, where possible.
(3) thanks from:
10-03-2014, 10:39   #372
Pacing Mule

Super stuff to dig in like that.

It's not easy coming back at it when you are comparing yourself to previous pbs at a better fitness level. Try see each race now as a new race for a new time period and see yesterday as the PB it was this time round.
Thanks from:
10-03-2014, 10:50   #373
scriba

Thanks PM, and well done to you! You must be feeling pretty good today! What's next for you?

I actually have a chance of a PB for my next race, so that should help me forget about constant comparisons between where I was, and where I am. My HM PB is something like 1:48:3x, which is roughly 8:15-20/mile pace. A bit of consistent LT work and some long runs should get that beaten (hopefully!). And then I'll pick another HM, but I'll follow a proper programme for that, and really target taking a chunk off (time and body )
10-03-2014, 11:18   #374
Pacing Mule

Quote:
Thanks PM, and well done to you! You must be feeling pretty good today! What's next for you?

I actually have a chance of a PB for my next race, so that should help me forget about constant comparisons between where I was, and where I am. My HM PB is something like 1:48:3x, which is roughly 8:15-20/mile pace. A bit of consistent LT work and some long runs should get that beaten (hopefully!). And then I'll pick another HM, but I'll follow a proper programme for that, and really target taking a chunk off (time and body )
Yeah absolutely - feeling very good today. Half thinking of the great Ireland 10k but it's only 4 weeks away. It's a slightly easier course and I'm tempted to have a crack at 55 min. Yesterday surprised me but I'm not sure I have enough in tank to go 2 min under that in just 4 weeks.

Nice to see you in the hunt for a PB too. Will be watching out for it.
18-03-2014, 15:52   #375
scriba

Mon 17/3/2014

8.59 km 1:08:23 7:58/km 117 138

Nice slow run with my partner. I'm clearly mentally and physically knackered at the moment, my HR was about 20bpm above normal when I strapped on the HRM. So this was nice and slow. Beautiful day for jogging around around the countryside, we trotted all the way to the beach, and back again to our front door. Not missing city life.

Plan for the next couple of weeks is to get out for as many HR monitored easy runs as I can, within the tight time constraints I have at the moment. Any run I get in the next 2.5 weeks will be a bonus tbh, but I'll see what I can do.

Month Runs Wk Month Year
Mar 5 8.59 km 52.56 km 200.6 km
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion