Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Forward Faster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Yeah but your boxing or cycling or have climbed Everest or something? right?

meine hobbys sind trinken, lauf und nichtsdoen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

menoscemo wrote: »
    meine hobbys sind trinken, lauf und nichtsdoen

But you're not meant to do them all at once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I vote for AMK to wear a gopro while pacing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

RayCun wrote: »
    I vote for AMK to wear a gopro while pacing

I had to Google that to make sure it wasn't one of those new fangled mankinis that were doing the rounds recently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I had to Google that to make sure it wasn't one of those new fangled mankinis that were doing the rounds recently :)

Were you dissapointed when you found out it wasn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Showing your age not knowing what a gopro is!! :P

Wednesday
    5 miles easy / 8:11 average pace

This week not going well, last night was supposed to be 10 miles with 5 at HMP. But when I arrived home:

1) I was wrecked tired
    2) Left shin proving to be a concern

As a result I went out to just do 5 very easy instead, time to listen to the body. Shin complained a couple of times while out so this is not looking great. Looks like my 17 miler at the weekend will be a non-runner. will play it day-by-day.

Next week was supposed to be my recovery week, but think I might switch them around and have it as this week. I've been building up for 5 weeks now and quite likely it has been overdue. Hoping the shin will not be too much of a setback. Might dip back into the 500 mile old runners again for a while and interchange.

Friday
    5 miles easy / 8:13 average pace

Back into the 500+mile Inspire 9's for this one and stuck to grass for the most of it. The concrete is a killer. Shins were a bit better on this one but I held back the pace a bit.

Saturday
    5 miles easy / 8:13 average pace

Long run was a no go on Saturday, the shins just are not up to it. Very easy again on grass here. Shins same as yesterday.

Sunday
    5 miles easy / 8:20 average pace

Went to Union Park for this one, same size as Eckhart but change in scenery on the way and back. Got a couple of jolts of pain in both shins here, still in the old runners...getting annoying now and can't really progress until this gets sorted. Time is against me with a 12 week training plan. :pac:

Taking a couple of days of and RICE all the way. Will review on Wednesday.

Week Mileage Summary:
    Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    11m|Rest|5m|Rest|5m|5m|5m

Week Total|Month to Date|Year to Date
    31m|96.7m|569.1m

Some idiot...

319207.JPG

While I took a couple of days off to rest my shin splints, I decided to go for a walk with newly purchased shoes yesterday wearing ankle socks. Cut my heels breaking them in, muppet!! :rolleyes::mad:

Stupid move, while I feel the shins improving I probably would have gone for a run tonight only that my heels are killing me while even just walking...waste of a week now. Not sure if im going to be able to run tomorrow either so it might be a 3 day week for runs...extra days might help the shins I suppose!

Cutting things tight for the long runs, don't have many in the bag. any slim chance of PBing is gone but sure I'll soldier on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I wouldn't count out PBing just yet blocky, your time in Chicago last year was a bit soft considering the sort of shape you were in, so with a smart, conservative run, you just never know. You've the monkey off your back now, so won't have the pressure of last year.

I don't feel at the moment like I'm in the same shape as last year either, but there's still time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

WTF were you breaking in, a pair of stilettos??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

tang1 wrote: »
    WTF were you breaking in, a pair of stilettos??

Johnny, you're just not what they are looking for no matter what size the heels are!
    chicago.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A simple "I cut my heels" would have sufficed - but the exhibitionist in you had to post the pic............

A simple "I cut my heels" would have sufficed - but the exhibitionist in you had to post the pic............

Ha...seeing as I had no runs to talk about I had to post something interesting! It will serve me well as a reference of what not to do in future!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    Some idiot...

319207.JPG

While I took a couple of days off to rest my shin splints, I decided to go for a walk with newly purchased shoes yesterday wearing ankle socks. Cut my heels breaking them in, muppet!! :rolleyes::mad:

Stupid move, while I feel the shins improving I probably would have gone for a run tonight only that my heels are killing me while even just walking...waste of a week now. Not sure if im going to be able to run tomorrow either so it might be a 3 day week for runs...extra days might help the shins I suppose!

Cutting things tight for the long runs, don't have many in the bag. any slim chance of PBing is gone but sure I'll soldier on!

Here you go, you absolute b!tch :pac:

http://marloperry.com/2011/02/08/2001/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Showing your age not knowing what a gopro is!! :P

Even I knew what is was..... AMK probably thought it was an instruction to a h0oker ;)

Friday

Run 1
    6 miles easy / 7:33 average pace

Managed to get out for this at lunchtime as circumstances allowed, was over Eckhart direction, It was bloody humid out, the Chicago summer has finally arrived albeit 2 months late! Got this done in laps, about halfway through I spotted an arch in the next door playground that spurted out water in every direction. Glorious as I was roasted, saw a couple of runners have the same idea as me and the walker into it. Looked amazing so on the next lap I ventured in. Heaven!! :D Could of stayed in there for 20 mins! :) Feeling refreshed I continued on and finished off the laps feeling in much better condition!

Run 2
    7 miles easy / 8:03 average pace

Got out later in the evening for a second run to get more miles in. The shins felt ok on the first one and the heels are no longer an issue so all was good. Still hot an humid, pretty much same run as the lunch time run with an extra bit added in the end to try claim a strava segment near home. I had planned going out to get a minimum of 4 in and a max of 6. Happy to finish with 7 miles and 13 for the day.

Saturday
    6 miles easy / 8:33 average pace

Humidity x 10!! :eek::eek::eek: Got up early to get my long run in as I knew it would be warm out today. My plan has 17 in for this week, I decided to cut it to 12 to ease back in after the shin splints, ended up only doing 6. :( Humidity was touching 90%...absolute torture. I knew about 3 minutes in that this would be a struggle.

Pace goes out the window here, my easy pace was a minute/mile slower than yesterday morning's run yet it felt much tougher, energy sapping. Arrived over to Humboldt park after 2 miles and went searching for water..got some eventually and plodded on slowly, dripping with sweat now...went into shade where possible and after another 2 miles I had to stop for water again, suffering now, I decided to make it back towards Eckhart where I was dreaming of the glorious cold water arch from yesterday...as I passed by home, plodding away, slowing down and the body really struggling, i could feel the heart rate being much higher than it should be. I decided to pack it in, no point in this, no benefit. Took me an hour to recover when I got in as I was not feeling great. Happy with the choice I made.

So another long run missed, not to happy about that. I might try it again in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I know it's mind numbing but what about the threadmill?

I wouldn't count out PBing just yet blocky, your time in Chicago last year was a bit soft considering the sort of shape you were in, so with a smart, conservative run, you just never know. You've the monkey off your back now, so won't have the pressure of last year.

I don't feel at the moment like I'm in the same shape as last year either, but there's still time.

Good point RFR, I see you are tipping along nicely all the same. I'll just keep trying to plug away and see what happens. Definitely feel miles off the condition I was in this time last year. No monkey on the back is right may allow me to go hell for leather and drop out after 6 miles :pac:
    I know it's mind numbing but what about the threadmill?

Thanks P, ya, looks like a gym is on the cards, will need it for over the winter anyway. For the long runs though I may have to get up a 5am. Seems like the only solution and even then it will still be warm and I HATE morning running!

Sunday
    6 miles easy / 8:05 average pace

Got out late lad night to get this in after a brutal hangover. Humidity is awful now, it's every day. Felt better after this run and the shins are much improved which is good news. I won't overworked them too much and will gradually ease back in.

It's gonna feel 100 degrees F here today, looks like we may get a late summer after a poor June/July and most of August, increasing the risk of hot weather for the marathon, you heard it here first!

Moving apartments next week, so I'll have new parks to run in! Also is Labor Day here next Monday, so this weekend I will also continue my quest to run in different states! Stay tuned!

Week Mileage Summary:
    Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|13m|6m|6m

25m|121.7m|594.1m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

For the long runs though I may have to get up a 5am. Seems like the only solution and even then it will still be warm and I HATE morning running!
    2lm1b2u.jpg

Monday
    6 miles easy / 7:55 average pace

My usual routine run in Eckhart, Legs felt Ok.

Wednesday
    13 miles MLR / 7:55 average pace

Met up with two TTAU clubmates for this and the company was badly needed. Ran 3 miles to the Lake Shore Track to meet up and then we proceeded out to Navy Pier before looping back and running up the Lake Shore Trail as far as Fullerton before running back towards home. Felt pretty tired at the start but was not too bad at the end. Left Hip is tight at the moment and can be a nuisance at times. Shins were good.

Badly need a massage (keep saying that! :rolleyes:) Delighted to get 13 in though.

Thursday
    5 miles recovery / 8:36 average pace

Legs in bits after yesterday, Hip sore and shins back complaining :(. Turning into a crock, I'm sick of complaining about niggles! A very slow job around Eckhart to relieve some stiffness anyway and a good stretch afterwards.

Difficult to manage my training at the moment, need to do enough to get through the marathon but not too much that result in niggles becoming a bigger problem.

Have a session in for tonight, really want to do some speed work been 3 weeks. Heart is saying yes, but brain is saying no. Haven't done a long run in a while either so looks like my long run this weekend will take priority. Can't really risk a session tonight causing me to miss another long run due to shins.

More slow miles...

Different scenery for runs this weekend may get me a bit motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Couple of things. A "native" :) once told me that if the temperature + humidity % was greater than 150 trying to do intensive work was likely to be counter productive. Now this is probably a bit extreme as it was basically mean the summer would be a complete write off ... but it does mean that
    a) early morning is the best option and b) that running by heart rate might be an idea (for tempo, recovery, etc).
    It sounds like you might be a bit worn down. with heels, niggles, moving etc ... maybe time for a step back week ? time to inject a little fun into the grind ?
    There's 6(?) weeks to go .... the bulk of you work is in don't take physical mental risks now.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Couple of things. A "native" :) once told me that if the temperature + humidity % was greater than 150 trying to do intensive work was likely to be counter productive. Now this is probably a bit extreme as it was basically mean the summer would be a complete write off ... but it does mean that
    a) early morning is the best option and b) that running by heart rate might be an idea (for tempo, recovery, etc).
    It sounds like you might be a bit worn down. with heels, niggles, moving etc ... maybe time for a step back week ? time to inject a little fun into the grind ?
    There's 6(?) weeks to go .... the bulk of you work is in don't take physical mental risks now.

Very good assessment, as you will see in my next post, definitely looking to step back a couple of days anyway, even though it's enforced now!

Only problem is that the bulk of the work is not really in, Longest run I have done is 16 miles, so may have to jog around this one and focus on early 2015 instead. We shall see how it does and take it week by week. Nice yo see you getting the miles in at the moment.

Friday
    8 miles fartlek / average pace [1/2/3/2/3/2/1]

Well went out on Friday with what initially intended to be a session, but as the niggles were acting up I had decided to go easy on grass so as to not compromise the long run at the weekend, I had not done one for a while so that was priority J (the highest priority ranking there is :pac:). Over to Eckhart Park went and was a mile and a half into doing laps and I just could not hack it anymore so I changed my mind again about a session and decided to compromise in the form of fartlek. The legs were feeling ok so I decided to go for it. I needed to break up the 8 miles of laps somehow to keep me sane plus by staying on the grass it would ease the pressure on the niggles.
    Session went as follows where I just picked a number as I went along.

2 miles easy
    1 min burst
    1:30 min easy
    2 min burst
    3 min easy
    3 min burst
    5 min easy
    2 min burst
    3 min easy
    3 min burst
    4 min easy
    2 min burst
    3 min easy
    1 min burst
    1.6 miles easy

This really broke up the run and kept be occupied, only had a mile and a half left when I was done so jogged the rest of it before doing some stretching and another bit of a jog home. Delighted to get the workout in and hoped that the body would respond favourably the day after.

Sunday
    16 miles LSR / 8:15 average pace

With it being Labor Day this weekend here, went on an adventure to check out Washington, DC for the weekend. Flew in on Saturday Morning and took Saturday as my rest day to see some of the sights. However it was not much of a rest as there was no let up in the walking! The body responded well to the session the day before but all the walking made me ice the shins that evening as they were a little bit uncomfortable but not major. Didn’t feel great on Saturday evening, tired and lethargic as I was wrecked by 7pm, I put it down to the 4am wake up that morning to catch the red eye flight.

Turns out that it was not just the early wake up that was the cause of not feeling great the night before, I set the alarm for 5:30am on Sunday morning to do my long run as it was forecast for temps to be in 90s and humid that day so if I was getting in a long run it would have to be early. I can’t seem to catch a break, woke up with swollen glands and the feeling of a chesty cough coming on, not ideal at all. For a while I thought it was another long run to be abandoned, and any change of a decent marathon going along with it. Eventually I decided to man up and get out an aim for at least four miles, keeping the pace very slow due to the weather and not feeling great so stayed safe. It would have been a shame not to get at least a short run in while here in the US Capital. Got going at 7am and it was heating up, but thankfully it was cloudy so the lack of direct sunlight kept it somewhat manageable.

I started off making my way down and past the White House where there were no tourists amazingly only two cops. I guess it was a Sunday and early too. From there I made my way to the Washington Monument and then down along the reflection pool and to the Lincoln memorial. An amazing place to run. I stopped here to take it the morning and the view for a couple of minutes before kicking on. I then went on to complete a loop of the mall by passing the Monument again and making my way towards the US Capitol building, what a sight! At this stage I was 5 miles in and was feeling much better that when I woke up so decided to aim for 8 miles.

After the loop of the National Mall, I went towards the Potomac River and ran along the river trial, I had done some research on the popular running routes here prior to my arrival and this was one of them. Passed the Swedish Embassy and before I knew it was running along a river trial which felt like deep in the country side, was like home! Very peaceful and tranquil at that hour of the morning. I wss at 9 miles now and felt ok so said I’d keep going and see how far I would go. This may not turn out to be a write off after all! Went another 2 miles down the trial before turning at 11 miles (realised after I was only a mile from the Maryland border and could have ticked another state off the list!) I tool a parallel trail back into downtown which was gravel and ran along a smaller river, again a great resource to have so close to the city. Amazing how it can go from city living to complete isolation in the space of a 10 min run, I was thoroughly enjoying this run now but was starting to feel it a bit so decided to make it back towards the hotel. I jumped off the trail at Georgetown, the high end area of the city, and ran along the main street before turning left along K street which my hotel was on.

Ended up with 16 miles in the bag when all was done. The plan was originally intended to be 19 miles but in the end under the circumstances was delighted to get 16 in. Especially when I thought I would only be getting 4 in when I got out!

Some pictures of the run here

That said, I still have not got passed 16 miles as a long run in this marathon cycle with 6 weeks to go. Will just keep tipping away and see where I’m at with 2 weeks to go. Will see how to approach it then. Body did not feel too bad for the rest of the day but a sickness is coming on.

Week Mileage Summary:
    6m|Rest|13m|5m|8m|Rest|16m

48m|169.7m|642.1m

Monday
    5 miles recovery / 8:10 average pace

Body felt the same yesterday morning at it did Sunday morning, in the afternoon I decided to just go out for a short recovery run again at a slow pace.

Made my way across the Arlington Bridge and into Virginia for this. Started outside Arlington Cemetery which I had visited on Saturday (amazing place) From here I went up to see the Iwo Jima Marine Corp Memorial, much bigger than what I expected, it’s huge! I then made my way into Arlington itself, before looping back and crossing over the bridge and back into DC, I finished up at the Lincoln Memorial jogging up the steps and the watch beeped at 5 miles as Abraham Lincoln looked me in the face. The perfect end to my run. :)

Some pics here.

Washington is a great running city, would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a running holiday!

Gonna take a few days off now to get over this sickness/ recoup.

Tidying up last months work.

Monthly Summary

Month|Runs|2013 Miles|Runs|2014 Miles
    January|22/31|174.2|8/31|39
    February|22/28|196.9|1/28|2
    March|24/31|216.1|7/31|25.3
    April|17/30|120.2|12/30|48.5
    May|20/31|151.8|17/31|97.2
    June|18/30|149.7|19/30|107.1
    July|26/31|220.4|22/31|157.3
    August|27/31|250.5|21/31|169.7
    September|24/31|197.3||
    October|18/31|135.4||
    November|10/30|67.5||
    December|1/31|4||

Saturday
    3.2 miles easy / 7:29 average pace

So took most of the rest of the week off due to a number of factors: chesty cough, cold, moving apartment (nightmare), food poisoning and generally being run down.

I had registered for the Chicago Half Marathon a couple months back and with being sick most the week and then added to it being up overnight on Thursday sick with some sort of food poisoning, on Friday I had effectively given up on my incognito attempt at running the race.

However I was much improved on Saturday and said I would go for a tester 3 miles that evening to see how I was, still a bit groggy but getting through the run unscathed I decided I may still be able to run it in some way.

I would make the call on Sunday morning and prepare for it anyway, but decided that since I paid my expensive entry I may as well run it at long run pace just for the sake of it. Pointless? Probably but might as well do it if I was able, whatever the pace.

Went to bed early on Saturday night awaiting how I felt in the morning.

Sunday 7th September

Chicago Half Marathon 2014

Chip Time: 1:24:35
    Average Pace: 6.24/mile
    Result: 103/7832

Woke up to a 4am alarm this morning, yes, 4am! :eek: and felt ok so said I’d head down and go for a jog at the very least. Races start ridiculously early here due to the weather and closing main roads in Chicago etc and as it was down in the south side it would take me about an hour to get there.

Arrived in the dark at 5:30am with crowds streaming into Jackson Park, about the only benefit to being up this early is getting to see the sunrise! Soon I met up with TTAU club mates at a tent which we had for the day which was nice, own toilets, bag storage food/drink etc.

Collecting the number in the expo the day before brought back memories of the marathon last year and really got the adrenaline pumping in me again for racing so I was looking forward to this.

Amazingly it would be my first half since Athlone in September last year, a whole 12 months almost. Mad stuff, so I was lying if I want a little nervous.

When I got down there my plan went from an easy long run to going at about a 90 min target :rolleyes: Had a quick warm up with the crew and then headed into the corrals, at this stage my plan had gone to aim for something in the 1:24-1:28 range! :rolleyes: :pac: , the atmosphere got me pumped up. After the anthem we were off and I set of at an easy pace (was at the time), Mile 1 around Jackson park went by in 6:15 and sure then I said I’d try hold 6:20s for as long as I can and see how it went. Miles 2 and 3 going east to the lake shore into the rising morning sun were comfortable at 6:20 and 6:16 and I managed to tuck in with a good group here, we then turned onto Lake shore drive (one of the busiest roads in the city closed for the race) and the skyline of Chicago was before us from up North, a beautiful sight with the sun rising from the east, reflecting off the buildings, this was the start of a big out and back run that would last to the finish, 5 miles out and back. While it was a novelty to run on the road first, 5 miles on a straight road doesn’t be long wearing off and can grind ya down! Was feeling ok for the next 3 miles (6:19, 6:22, 6:25) but it was warming up fast but nothing warm enough to effect the race performance. Found this guy going the same pace as me at this point so told him we should work together, this gave me renewed energy and it worked well until the turn around point, he then started to suffer and dropped off. Mile 7 and 8 went in 6:29 and 6:27 and I was suffering now, the breathing was fine but the quads were roaring, clearly I hadn’t the work done, which I knew myself and I was blowing up big style :) Mile 9 and 10 in 6:27, 6:26

Things were isolated now and we were in scattered single file and I just wanted to finish now, calling for the line to come. A girl from the club passing me out in mile 11, the same girl who came 2nd when I came 3rd in the Gospel Run 5km before I joined them was the icing on the cake. This boy was done!

Every water station was now hit up to get me through the remainder and for the first time ever in a half, a brief walk came into mind but I quickly said no way! Mile 11 6:30 and 12 6:36 are and uneventful blur. Once I was down to the last mile I knew I’d make it, the time didn’t really matter, just get this done. Turned into the Finish (mile 13 6:28 and last bit of pace 6:06) and I was mightily glad it was over. Finished in 1:24:35, average really, 5 minutes off my PB but It was expected and I’ll take it as a starting point. Sure 24 hours before I was not even running so it’s a bonus!

Post-Mortem

Regardless of the far from ideal preparation this week and no real build up for this event in terms of pace HM miles done it training etc. This time is really a good judge as where I am right now . Mid-low twenties for the half. Looking back at the splits it felt at the time that the blow up was much bigger that it actually turned out to be.

Miles off where I was 12 months prior but I’m hoping that if I keep plugging away and get some consistent 50 mile weeks going I may get some minutes back.

The race told me a couple of things:

1) I’m in a bit of bother for the marathon, I don’t have near enough training done and If endurance is an issue 10 miles into a Half Marathon I dunno what to expect for the full. The fact that my longest run to date in training is 16 miles and I can’t put a string of weeks together says it all. Not sure if I should just cut losses and jog around the marathon and focus on being fully ready for spring or just suffer the inevitable 6 miles at the end!

2) Bringing me onto my next point, almost bailing today really does not have me looking forward to the full

So I’ve only 3 more weeks of training before taper (don’t even need taper with my ****e training id say :pac:), I’m going to commit fully to these three weeks, get 50+ miles in each, do 20,18,20 mile LSRs and see where that takes me. If the body breaks down with the volume so be it, I know to just do Chicago Marathon for fun then, maybe walk it in 6 hours ;)

Here’s to an alright day today, it’s a starting point and to a fully committed next 3 weeks. So committed in fact I’m getting up a 5am in the morning to go for a career move run!

Good Night!

Week Mileage Summary:
    5m|Rest|Rest|Rest|Rest|3.2|15.9m

24.1m|24.1m|666.2m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

J, you sound to be in the exact same place as me with your running (albeit, still much, much quicker!).
    I'm still struggling big time since coming back from my hamstring injury and have only done a 16 and an 18.5 mile run for my training, and have Berlin in a few weeks. I'm certainly looking at jogging that.
    I'm going to look upon it as an LSR with DCM in mind 4 weeks later.

I think there is no point in racing for 20 miles and then really struggling the final 6 miles. That would just demoralise the following 6 weeks of training/running.
    Instead, take it easy for the marathon and use it as an LSR and continue your full recovery and base building for a shorter goal race in November instead.
    You will not PB Chicago at this stage and you know that. It's just a matter of not enough weeks, so no point in flogging yourself as a result. Just try to get full enjoyment back into your running.

Jealous hearing/seeing about all those American miles in DC and Chicago...just like last October for me!

Advertisement