Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you racing in 17s

yeah dont have a choice really :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How did ye all do in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For us it came down to literally the last beat of the last (10th) race - and we got pipped into second on IRC by THREE SECONDS :eek:

Second on ECHO as well.

Best regatta (and best sailing ever by us) by a country mile!!!

Great weekend :D

Good racing over the weekend. We only did 3 days but it really takes it out of you. Wrecked today. Bands & music really need to be banned from regattas straight after racing. Trying to have conversations and you cant hear coz of some bloke murdering a song

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was on the offshore courses, had 2 good days and 2 bad days. It was a total lottery as the wind in the bay was good, offshore was good but there was a big band of nothing in between.

Still brought home some pots so the skipper was happy.. :D

Great regatta weather wise, also burnt to a crisp!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Vexorg wrote: »
    The 34.7s are putting up a great fight against the J boats in the offshore cruisers. Flashback from Howth is really putting in a good performance.

Fair play to them, they won overall on IRC offshore. :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This might seem a bit random but I was working in limerick this week and staying in the Clayton which is literally on the banks of the Shannon.

It has a lovely balcony stretching out over the river which is a great place to sit and relax.

As I was doing so I was greeted by a group of people in hi vis gear and pfds patrolling.

We'd a chat and they moved on they patrol the banks of the Shannon four nights a week from about 8pm to 1am to try and help people who may be contemplating self harm and are a registered charity called limericksuicidewatch

Since early may they have intervened 14 times to aid distressed people along the river

Watching them walking around it struck me that if they had auto life jackets it would be much more comfy and safer if they ended up in the river and it got me to thinking of all the spare life jackets I've seen on boats over the years.

I know it's not sailing related but do you think boat owners might consider donating a spare jacket if they have some, and if so how's best to communicate about it?

They have just over 50 volunteers so it might not be an impossible task to get enough (maybe twelve) proper life jackets for their nightly patrols if we thought about it collectively?

Feel free to give your thoughts!

One problem I can see immediately is - are the lifejackets reliable? In date? Serviced? Who would take responsibility for them if they failed in the event of an incident?

At least there are none of those variables with buoyancy aids.

It's unforunate, but that's the way things have gone nowadays.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    One problem I can see immediately is - are the lifejackets reliable? In date? Serviced? Who would take responsibility for them if they failed in the event of an incident?

At least there are none of those variables with buoyancy aids.

It's unforunate, but that's the way things have gone nowadays.

Fair point!

anyone racing here in DBSC have a contact email for the sailing secretary or class captains in classes 2 & 3 & ruffians

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    anyone racing here in DBSC have a contact email for the sailing secretary or class captains in classes 2 & 3 & ruffians

Donal O'Sullivan at HonSec@dbsc.org will have all contact details for class officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Anyone coming over to CY&BC for the At Home Regatta this weekend?

aquinn wrote: »
    Anyone coming over to CY&BC for the At Home Regatta this weekend?

Few of our lot from Howth going around on Saturday afternoon, Im giving it a miss though have to try get work done on another boat

Did rockabill today first time out racing this year as I hurt myself and couldn't sail, had a fantastic day, super weather

Did rockabill today first time out racing this year as I hurt myself and couldn't sail, had a fantastic day, super weather

Nice breeze for it who you go up with

Nice breeze for it who you go up with

Viking, they'd two regular crew and four new crew.

It was a bit squally around rockabill, and horrid coming into Skerries, but our helm did a great job.

We hit 32 knots on the way back.

Nice boats those x302s ill leave it there

Anyone any tips on how best to dry out soaked boots? Just leave them outside or the hot press? They are still sodden today on the insideq

A day like today I'd leave them outside - there will be fantastic drying out today.

Are they leather?

Maybe stuff them with newspaper.... but I'd be inclined to let the fresh air through them for the afternoon!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A day like today I'd leave them outside - there will be fantastic drying out today.

Are they leather?

Maybe stuff them with newspaper.... but I'd be inclined to let the fresh air through them for the afternoon!

Yeah the grey dubarry boots?

• Advertisement

Leave em out in the fresh air. Be a nice stink out of them when their dry

Lovely I hate that stink

Is the Malahide regatta on this year?

Nothing on the hyc site and the myc site appears to be off line at the moment

Lovely I hate that stink

I think it might be on next weekend? Pals of ours were talking about going over for it, but we're away.

Lovely I hate that stink

Yeah think last Saturday in July

Yeah think last Saturday in July

So the 29th?

Yep

Then full go in howth every weekend in August. Event on every weekend

The boat is turning into a banana :D

Finally got on the Mac site and their regatta is the 29th

Hoping my regular boat enters or I can jump on a crew given I've missed a pile of sailing this year

One boot has dried and is stink free the other is still sodden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

One boot has dried and is stink free the other is still sodden

I’m assuming that the ‘wet’ is sea water so the correct answer is a bit more complex.

When the boots dry it is because the wet evaporates. However, the salt in seawater does not, and it remains behind in crystalline form both in and on the leather. Salt is hygroscopic (i.e. it attracts water) so on a humid day it will absorb water and your boots will be damp and if left in an unaired place over the winter probably will go musty.

The proper way to dry the boots is to first sponge them out with fresh water having removed the insoles and rinsed them separately, and then stuff the boots with newspaper, changing it a few times and then leaving them in a well-ventilated space to air dry.

Heat (particularly near a fire is not a good remedy as it’s a killer for leather, damaging the oils used in the curing and can lead to the leather (and many glues) becoming too dry and brittle.

Although the cow is dead, the leather continues to live and needs feeding periodically. I use Dubbin at the end and beginning of the season and my leather boots (Skipper Footwear) now are about 40 yrs old and in perfect nick, as I last year replaced the soles which were disintegrating from old age!

• Advertisement

Anyone here got Oakley prisms and if yes what are they like for sailing?

Advertisement