Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stheno wrote: »
    Fantastic day for the gibbney classic

I think I'm overcooked and very red after that. Great atmosphere in howth aswell after

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

neris wrote: »
    I think I'm overcooked and very red after that. Great atmosphere in howth aswell after

Ah here - whadda ya mean great atmosphere in Howth afterwards? Why weren't you in Gibneys? Personally, I thought the race was probably 20-30mins too long. It's a social race - make it 1.5hrs for the average participant, and get everyone back to the bar afterwards.

Gibneys was crap. the concert being on didnt help and most people were gone by 730. Course was a bit long and thought turn out was down on previous years

Stheno wrote: »
    I think there's a chap from Howth in this race on a boat called Bam ( edit, from hyc facebook it looks like it, he was four days ahead in the lead on the seventh)

Conor finished this evening looks like hes won on handicap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Conor finished this evening looks like hes won on handicap

That's fantastic, great achievement!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Reception to welcome Conor home and celebrate his win at 6pm tomorrow in hyc

From howth yacht club facebook page for any one interested in taking up sailing

Howth Yacht Club
    Liked
    2.6k likes

Howth Yacht Club
    2 hrs
    There are still some places left on our 'Taste of Racing' J80 Class for Volvo Dún Laoghaire Regatta - contact Karen in the club office to sign up and join us for a great weekend - racing across from Howth on Friday evening, in the bay on Saturday and a race home on Sunday, all for €100 per person! With a specially appointed skipper, this is a great way to learn how to race the J80s and enjoy of the biggest social events of the year.
    01 8322141 (quickly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Kinsale was tough, I'm still broken... :D

Steve wrote: »
    Kinsale was tough, I'm still broken... :D

You got a day off 1/2 way through

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sort of know how that feels :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 oystercatcher

Does anyone know of crewing spots for VDLR this weekend. I'm fairly experienced. Happy to race each day or just to fill in for a couple of races.
    Thanks guys, I'd appreciate any leads.

Does anyone know of crewing spots for VDLR this weekend. I'm fairly experienced. Happy to race each day or just to fill in for a couple of races.

Check out hyc crew point on Facebook a boat called samatom was looking for crew

Try Dlr facebook & website. Few howth boats looking for crew. Few 17s looking for crew Friday for a passage race

:p

Try Dlr facebook & website. Few howth boats looking for crew. Few 17s looking for crew Friday for a passage rave

What's a passage rave? Is that all the 17s doing their ritual chanting/singing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Good luck to everyone taking part in the DLVR this weekend!

See y'all on the water :D

(or in the bars after, obv)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

We had to drop out, due to sail damage and an injury last week, will pop out Saturday for a look.

Some of the wind forecasts showing very light today, nothing worse than a slow start and ending up in a wind hole or fighting the tide.

Best of luck to all competing, 460 boats entered, if there is a decent breeze it will be great.

Vexorg wrote: »
    460 boats entered, if there is a decent breeze it will be great.

hope DL dont do what cork did years ago and try to keep pushing the numbers higher and higher aiming for 1000 entries

Hope not, but they could probably cope with closer to that number, spreading it out over the 4 waterfront clubs, might be a bit of a wait for food and drink after:)

• Advertisement

Hope not, but they could probably cope with closer to that number, spreading it out over the 4 waterfront clubs, might be a bit of a wait for food and drink after:)

its on the water aswell though where there could be issues. teh sailing is pretty decent as it is and well managed. they seem to want to give better racing for entries then loads of entires

Yay!!

2 wins on IRC, not a bad start :D

(Small fleet, but still....)

Now to try and keep it up......

forecast for saturday on windguru looks like a stay on the dock kinda day, sundays not much better either

@heidiheidi. Very close racing in that fleet. One small mistake, a few seconds lost makes the difference. Well done.

forecast for saturday on windguru looks like a stay on the dock kinda day, sundays not much better either

Yup Saturday and Sunday both looking poor for wind, I have not found any of the wind forecast sites/apps consistently accurate. My fav at the moment is windpredict as it uses 4 forecasting models and appears accurate when all 4 results are similar.

@heidiheidi. Very close racing in that fleet. One small mistake, a few seconds lost makes the difference. Well done.

Cheers!

Don't think we've ever had as close racing as this weekend! It's come down to literally inches in a couple of races :eek:

Great fun! Sorry you're missing out on it.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cheers!

Don't think we've ever had as close racing as this weekend! It's come down to literally inches in a couple of races :eek:

Great fun! Sorry you're missing out on it.

You really are having a great Regatta, 5 seconds in the last race, so close.

Steve's crew had a good result in echo today. The 34.7s are putting up a great fight against the J boats in the offshore cruisers. Flashback from Howth is really putting in a good performance.

You really are having a great Regatta, 5 seconds in the last race, so close.

Steve's crew had a good result in echo today. The 34.7s are putting up a great fight against the J boats in the offshore cruisers. Flashback from Howth is really putting in a good performance.

it was one second in the second race!! We nearly had heart attacks!!! :D

My goodness, the Js certainly are being given a run for their money in the offshore! G'wan Steve!!!

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed that wind comes in from somewhere today ... although it would suit us down to the ground if the ref blew the whistle right now :D:D:D

Good racing today. 3 nice fixed mark courses today but results were poxy. Well sun burnt & wrecked now.

• Advertisement

Good racing today. 3 nice fixed mark courses today but results were poxy. Well sun burnt & wrecked now.

Are you racing in 17s

Advertisement