Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JOBS IN WATERFORD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

echosound wrote: »
    Look at the above quotes - if you already feel so crappy about the idea of having to work a 40 hour week for free while the person beside you is getting a full wage for the same work, think about how you're going to feel actually doing it, 2,3,4 months in.

I would only consider a WPP if you really really wanted to work in that area like Iluvcake did with the solicitor's office WPP and wouldn't mind working for free for a while. Along the lines of say, someone hoping to get into broadcasting working for a community radio station voluntarily. (and BTW it's great to see that some WPPs do what they are supposed to and get the person into the area they want to work in, so kudos to Iluvcake for that :)).

Also I would only consider it if it would leave me still able to pay rent/mortgage, bills, feed myself etc. after paying for transport etc. No point in putting money into an employer's pocket and leaving yourself totally skint and in a bind, falling behind with your bills etc. even though you're working fulltime. They won't care that you're struggling with bills, at the end of the day you're just a number to them and easily replaced (as is the way with most jobs).

As for anyone who might start up with the whole "you obviously don't want a job", if they're currently working themselves, ask them if they'd mind working their full week and handing up their paypacket to you at the end of it seeing as they don't seem to have a problem working 40 hrs a week for free. Or ask them if they want to quit their job and go do a WPP if they're such a great way to further their career. Or ask them for 30/40 quid a week to help you pay for transport to and from the job if it's so pivotal to your future prospects. I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out if they're that worried about your working life.
    If they don't have a job, well then they're just in the same boat as yourself anyway!

Anyway, never mind what other people think - it's you that's going to have to do the 8 hrs a day, it's your life and your happiness or lack of it, so until someone is willing to offer to go and join you doing it, or help you out financially to do it, they don't get to say anything to you.

Seriously - if you think you will enjoy the work and get good experience, then go for it, but if you have serious misgivings already then maybe it's not the right option for you.

The position is trainee sales exec? So you're prob going to be either pounding the streets trying to get some B2B sales in, or you'll be basically phoning up businesses trying to sell your product. TBH, I'd go for a job in rigney dolphin over cold-calling businesses on the phone on a WPP, as you'll get the same work experience there dealing with customers in a call centre but you'll get paid for it. My official title while I was working p/t in a Dublin Eircom call centre as a student was "sales exec" too, and TBH you're only a trainee for the first 2 weeks (whilst getting paid I might add), then you're a fully fledged "sales exec" getting a regular wage, so 6 months working for free seems a bit long to be training someone up if it does prove to be work along the lines I mentioned.

I know I'm rambling on a bit (just a bit :P) here, but you seem to be up in a heap worrying about it, and I'd hate to see some young enthusiastic person spending 6 months of their life feeling like crap, out of pocket and being taken advantage of just because you felt pressurised into taking this on by others. Of course, feel free to ignore anything I've said if you do think it might be a good opportunity (I don't know the company, or the actual role you'll have, or what work you want to end up doing, so it could be that it suits you to a tee and you'd love it). I'm just throwing up a few opinions here for you to consider, as it's good to have a sounding board to throw your thoughts up against. You've also gotten good advice and positive outlooks coming from iluvcake, so you have both sides of the coin to consider.

Whatever you decide, the very best of luck and I really hope you get sorted with something soon :)

Thanks very much its the best post i have seen in a long time and i appreciate your ramblings:pac:. Yes the role is making sales on the phone which being honest doesnt appeal too much, i dont think it would suit me. I applied because in frustration i sent out alot of CV's expecting too hear nothing back as usual. Everyone i know hates getting phone calls from people trying to sell. I agree what you say i would not mind if it was even maybe a month as work experience. But 6 months i think is exploitation after probably a week i would be fully trained and doing the same work as everyone else. They want me to basically guarantee i will stay long term because they dont want to train me up and than me leave. So basically they want me too commit myself to them long term but wont pay me for 6 months. Maybe if it was a dream job i could hack it out for 6 months but its not a job that you need 6 months experience before you can make some money. I will be getting a phone call tomorrow to see if i got it and i decided i wont take it. Your post has helped me not rush into a mistake and instead of getting frustrated i will search for my dream job.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭iluvcake

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Thanks very much its the best post i have seen in a long time and i appreciate your ramblings:pac:. Yes the role is making sales on the phone which being honest doesnt appeal too much, i dont think it would suit me. I applied because in frustration i sent out alot of CV's expecting too hear nothing back as usual. Everyone i know hates getting phone calls from people trying to sell. I agree what you say i would not mind if it was even maybe a month as work experience. But 6 months i think is exploitation after probably a week i would be fully trained and doing the same work as everyone else. They want me to basically guarantee i will stay long term because they dont want to train me up and than me leave. So basically they want me too commit myself to them long term but wont pay me for 6 months. Maybe if it was a dream job i could hack it out for 6 months but its not a job that you need 6 months experience before you can make some money. I will be getting a phone call tomorrow to see if i got it and i decided i wont take it. Your post has helped me not rush into a mistake and instead of getting frustrated i will search for my dream job.

Just wondering did you get that phone call??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Any chefs looking for work at the mo?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

Any chefs looking for work at the mo?

I know of one! Got any more info?

drop me a pm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

My bad, he just got a new job.

All good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Right I might be a bit off-topic here ASKING if anyone has a job but it worked for me the last time so...
    Anyways Im on my summer holidays now and Im free until 7th July. If anyones knows any part-time jobs (tall ship dates for example) going drop me a pm. Oh yeah Im 17, just in case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Right I might be a bit off-topic here ASKING if anyone has a job but it worked for me the last time so...
    Anyways Im on my summer holidays now and Im free until 7th July. If anyones knows any part-time jobs (tall ship dates for example) going drop me a pm. Oh yeah Im 17, just in case :)
    http://www.recruitireland.com/job/general-operative-stewards-waterford/14467557/ its up since the fifth of june dunno if the positions have been filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 VioletAisling

Dunnes Stores in City Square are hiring. No idea if it's full or part-time! Just ask for applications at the customer service desk! I've to hand mine in tomorrow *fingers crossed* for a summer job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

Got the job in Rigney Dolphin ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Kitty_Ears wrote: »
    Got the job in Rigney Dolphin ^_^

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

iluvcake wrote: »
    Just wondering did you get that phone call??

Hi,

Didnt get offered the job being honest i presume they got the vibe from me that i was unsure. But chin up send out a few more Cv's and fingers crossed something will come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

subz3r0 wrote: »

Centra on the quay were looking for looking for a few people for the Tall Ships, try there perhaps? Hopefully the places havent been filled, be no harm in going in asking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 goldilox4

sorry for asking for jobs like the person already...im 18 need a job, anything really, free for the whole summer till end of august...i would do a few days for free even just to get some experience as it hard to get a job when you have little experience..have just finished the leaving cert...if anyone has anything...thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Anyone heard that Bausch And Lomb are hireing for weekend shift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Got a call from p-cubed today, have interview on monday. Call centres suck but I need the cash :P

• Advertisement

Two interviews this week if nothing else its interview practice both placements again. But i might be interested in the placement in the VEC grants office. I presume woud be good money if kept on. They might throw me a few pound extra as its a goverment job.

What's the story with those placements? Do FAS pay you? Or do you just work for free but get your dole as normal?

What's the story with those placements? Do FAS pay you? Or do you just work for free but get your dole as normal?

Fairly sure just get your dole. Makes FAS look good for getting people working for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

My understanding is that Fás pay you so your taken off the live register but it comes in at the same as your Dole.

from what I can see I think allot of companies are using it for cheap labour when it should be used for givig people experience.

ziedth wrote: »
    My understanding is that Fás pay you so your taken off the live register but it comes in at the same as your Dole.

from what I can see I think allot of companies are using it for cheap labour when it should be used for givig people experience.
    totally agree with you on the experience thing for fans of the wire this is known as DUKING THE STATS.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 XBubbliBunniX

Just found out I got a job for the tall ships!! :):)

• Advertisement

Just found out I got a job for the tall ships!! :):)

Congrats!

I think you have to be at least 18....im not 100% on this tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I applied yesterday.. will hopefully get a reply from them. :)

• Advertisement

I got a call from them i think it was two days after I applied for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 afee_wils2011

Does anyone know if the Engineering course in FAS any good?? Would you get a job out of it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

emerald isle chipper on the quay is looking for experienced counter staff for the tall ships, might get your foot in the door.

I worked in a chippy once. Great fun.

Does anyone know if the Engineering course in FAS any good?? Would you get a job out of it??
    dunno much bout that course but i did the welding course years ago(did get a job from it) the instructors in there have the connections they prob know the factory managers but the way things are gone i'd say it could end with a placement and a foot in the door.i've seen lads on the welding course sent out to work placements after a few weeks welding and then coming back for the exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

HB Kiosk in city square is looking for someone temp for the summer. (could have nice perks:D)

Yeah I would be hoping that my husband would get a job out of it. He has only ever worked in a meat factory and has no experience or education in anything else. He has sent out loads of CVs applied for loads of jobs but no one will even look at his CV because of lack of experience. If he got his foot in the door somewhere they would keep him on as he is a great worker, punctual, never out sick etc. He just needs that lucky chance lol

Yeah I would be hoping that my husband would get a job out of it. He has only ever worked in a meat factory and has no experience or education in anything else. He has sent out loads of CVs applied for loads of jobs but no one will even look at his CV because of lack of experience. If he got his foot in the door somewhere they would keep him on as he is a great worker, punctual, never out sick etc. He just needs that lucky chance lol

i'm in the same boat as your husband out of work since feb only had 1 interview and have only found bout 8 jobs that i could apply for and only got replies from 3 its brutal out there.really is who ya know now more than ever.

tsoparno wrote: »
    i'm in the same boat as your husband out of work since feb only had 1 interview and have only found bout 8 jobs that i could apply for and only got replies from 3 its brutal out there.really is who ya know now more than ever.

I know. It is definitely who you know and unfortunately it seems we don't know the right people. He is out 8 weeks now. He will take anything now. Best of luck hope something comes up for you

I know. It is definitely who you know and unfortunately it seems we don't know the right people. He is out 8 weeks now. He will take anything now. Best of luck hope something comes up for you

cheers keltech on the estate where looking for ops bout 2 wks ago could try there i did but not i reply yet.

• Advertisement

cheers keltech on the estate where looking for ops bout 2 wks ago could try there i did but not i reply yet.

Ah thanks he tried there already heard nothing either a friend told him they received 100 cvs in the first day

Done interview yesterday a 9 month contract work experience and no job at the end of it. I really dont think i could do that. I know its experience but 9 months where i would be doing a project and wouldnt be able to leave. Surely if anything this is going to prevent my chances of getting a paid job. I think i will do a computer course instead to freshen up my excel skills before my degree becomes worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Done interview yesterday a 9 month contract work experience and no job at the end of it. I really dont think i could do that. I know its experience but 9 months where i would be doing a project and wouldnt be able to leave. Surely if anything this is going to prevent my chances of getting a paid job. I think i will do a computer course instead to freshen up my excel skills before my degree becomes worthless.

9 months unpaid 'experience'???
    Slavery is alive and well in the 21st century.

Went to a store today to ask can I do work experience for the summer(im so bored). They said I can but I need to sort out my own insurance which is usually done by the CTI or whoever if your doing a course. I rung a few companies and was quoted €1000 to work for free for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

Ye wont want to work the way they do in there for the money on offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Boooourns

sands15 wrote: »
    Ye wont want to work the way they do in there for the money on offer

I applied for it although i was in two minds, shift work for minimum wage, is the work that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Dump of a place.well it was when i worked there about ten years ago.

south wrote: »
    Dump of a place.well it was when i worked there about ten years ago.

six months on the dole and min wage starts being apealing

Do your apply direct to keltech? Ill take anything at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 sands15

Id say them jobs are gone by now but still up on fas.

They will be on your back in there all day, and i mean that stop watch on you to make sure you going flat out

Time sheet to be filled out in mins so they know how much of what you did for the day down to every last min

dont like giving the odd day off just not a nice place at all

Why do you think they have always bin looking for workers over the years people dont stay there

Advertisement