Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is it worth trying to get the 6 months half price deal when I'm planning to move house in 6 months and have no idea if UPC will be available in whatever house I move into? I'd be planning to install a Freesat setup and reduce my plan to broadband only even if UPC is available at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

L1011 wrote: »
    The Sky deal ending is likely a bigger factor. Wait til the new one unless your 30 days is nearly up

When's the new Sky deal due does anyone know?
    I have to contact VM before 25th Feb.

dodzy wrote: »
    As tallglass says, its the way to go. Done my folks a few years back & they love it. A cheap combo, dish, antenna and a few other bits. All equipment could be got for little more than €100.

I know I know mate...my Mum doesn't want the dish as it would be unsightly (in her opinion). You just can't reason with some people (especially bonkers old people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

dodzy wrote: »
    One word, Broadband. It's the only reason why we are all here. If VM did not have it, well we'd all be on sky or FTA. There is no argument that sky are miles ahead in terms of UI slickness and response speed. It's simply a joy to use. I'm very disappointed that horizon hasn't made bigger all inroads to improve their flagship UI after so long. It's just nasty, slow and cumbersome.

The broadband is, and will remain, their saving grace.

In addition, those sky Q prices are shít too for a 'TVs only' service. And there is a ridiculous setup fee well in excess of 100€, which goes up to nearly €200 for existing sky+ customers. That's gonna be popular:rolleyes:

I wasn't suggesting you buy it I was suggesting it could be used when bargaining with virgin. I'm sure once they launch it on the 9th there will be new offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

I know I know mate...my Mum doesn't want the dish as it would be unsightly (in her opinion). You just can't reason with some people (especially bonkers old people).
    Get a pal to ring your mams house.
    Get him to tell her he's from VM and they carrying out system upgrades in the area by which she will have to be upgraded, but at no additional charge.
    Ring VM and arrange the install.
    Job done :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

biebiebie wrote: »
    When's the new Sky deal due does anyone know?
    I have to contact VM before 25th Feb.

maximum of two weeks, I'd imagine. You've plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Are they still offering half price for 6 months?

Rang them there and the best they would offer me was half price for 4 months on a 12 month broadband only contract

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Currently finalising a deal with them as I type. I got the 9 months half price and upgrade to 240mb.

The thing is, I was prepared to actually cancel. Kept refusing any offer they had until they agreed to above. Just keep pushing them

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Wynnie12 wrote: »
    Currently finalising a deal with them as I type. I got the 9 months half price and upgrade to 240mb.

The thing is, I was prepared to actually cancel. Kept refusing any offer they had until they agreed to above. Just keep pushing them

Are you on a BB & Phone package or have you got TV as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Wynnie12

Morby wrote: »
    Are you on a BB & Phone package or have you got TV as well?

Just phone and BB. 25euro for 9 months and 50 thereafter. 12 month contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Just bb and phone, still no increase email

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Just bb and phone, still no increase email

Same here. I'm getting 120mb broadband and phone for e40. Hope they don't up the price and claim they sent an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Hi all got my dad half price 6 months two weeks ago on his TV phone bb bundle.
    Got the mail re price hike this week.
    Tried twice this week for my bb phone got on to manilla and couldn't get more than 4 months.
    Each time I was given cancellation mail and told there's no more they can do.
    Played all the cards on here too exp,sky offers, referenced this thread still no dice.
    Four month discount or take a hike I was told.
    Guess I'll be taking a hike!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Was just onto Darren - completely unhelpful

VM seem to have no idea that there are broadband users out there who only want modest broadband - I'm quite happy with my 120Mb service - they either want to upgrade me to 240Mb or charge me an extra €5 for staying on 120Mb, with no discounts offered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just off the phone to Manilla. I'm on the 240mb and phone package, and got the €5 increase letter. I'd decided that I'd upgrade to the 360mb package, but wanted the 4 months half price discount extended by 5 months. Told them that others had received 9 month 50% discounts on the 240mb and phone packages, and that I was looking to move to a more profitable package with a smaller discount, but they only offered 4 months at €20 off, and €5 off the mobile package (which I don't use, and don't want). They also cried off availability of the 9 month deal, claiming that it had expired. I pointed out that they had claimed this to other customers previously and yet others subsequently received the deal, so I wasn't buying that line.

Guy was pleasant, and apologetic at not being able to offer what I wanted, and I said it wasn't a problem, just to ensure they noted that they were losing a customer on the back of €150 and the expectation that they would willingly pay more than other customers.

Told him that I'd wait to see what the 9th brought in terms of Sky offers before cancelling my package.

Will try Limerick on Monday in case anyone cops that they're cutting off their noses to spite their face. Otherwise I guess I'll be on the move. The eir 1 gig fibre package won't be too far out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

alastair wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Manilla. I'm on the 240mb and phone package, and got the €5 increase letter. I'd decided that I'd upgrade to the 360mb package, but wanted the 4 months half price discount extended by 5 months. Told them that others had received 9 month 50% discounts on the 240mb and phone packages, and that I was looking to move to a more profitable package with a smaller discount, but they only offered 4 months at €20 off, and €5 off the mobile package (which I don't use, and don't want). They also cried off availability of the 9 month deal, claiming that it had expired. I pointed out that they had claimed this to other customers previously and yet others subsequently received the deal, so I wasn't buying that line.

Guy was pleasant, and apologetic at not being able to offer what I wanted, and I said it wasn't a problem, just to ensure they noted that they were losing a customer on the back of €150 and the expectation that they would willingly pay more than other customers.

Told him that I'd wait to see what the 9th brought in terms of Sky offers before cancelling my package.

Will try Limerick on Monday in case anyone cops that they're cutting off their noses to spite their face. Otherwise I guess I'll be on the move. The eir 1 gig fibre package won't be too far out now.
    Are you saying the were willing to give you the 360Mb BB & phone deal? ie: €30 x 4mths & €60 per mth after that? they refused me that stating it was not for existing customers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

alastair wrote: »

Have you heard something about a new Sky discount starting on 9th?

Never mind ... Sky Q!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lads I'm paying €45 a month for 120mb BB only and they're increasing it to €50 a month. Whats the best they'll offer me to stay? Any better deals around with a new sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Muahahaha wrote: »
    lads I'm paying €45 a month for 120mb BB only and they're increasing it to €50 a month. Whats the best they'll offer me to stay? Any better deals around with a new sign up?

Vodafone - €40 for 100Mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Still waiting on an email here - we have Digital Value TV, 120mb broadband and home phone for 70pm. Really hoping we get an email as VM box driving us nuts and we're still in contract for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

Muahahaha wrote: »

I rang them as i had 120mbBB and home phone calls. I pushed and they gave me 6months at 20 and remaining 6 months for 40

Since you have the free mobile calls, i'd say
    22.50 for 6 months
    45 for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

whats their mobile network like for coverage? I'm in Dublin mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

L1011 wrote: »
    The Sky deal ending is likely a bigger factor.

Looks like it is. Got the 9 months half price myself in just a quick phone call a few days ago, but when I tried to get a deal for an elderly person yesterday, the best I could get was 4 months half price and that took a long time (more than an hour) talking to 3 different persons (2 in customer loyalty)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

lensman wrote: »
    Are you saying the were willing to give you the 360Mb BB & phone deal? ie: €30 x 4mths & €60 per mth after that? they refused me that stating it was not for existing customers :confused:

That's the deal that I got when I rang up about the €5 increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davemaher

Hi i am with upc /virgin my package includes 250mb broadband i have rang lots of times saying i never get anywere close to it my WiFi picks up around the house when i scan at about 30 to 42 mb i changed from the horizon box to a seperate router thinking it might be better but its not any ideas how u can increase the mb coming into the house considering iam oaying for the 250mb package even when connected to erternet cable its not mych better

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Wifi will never give you that speed
    Plug straight in to the router and do a speed test you should get nearly the max speed
    Another option is to buy some home plugs and use them ,better speed than wifi
    davemaher wrote: »
    Hi i am with upc /virgin my package includes 250mb broadband i have rang lots of times saying i never get anywere close to it my WiFi picks up around the house when i scan at about 30 to 42 mb i changed from the horizon box to a seperate router thinking it might be better but its not any ideas how u can increase the mb coming into the house considering iam oaying for the 250mb package even when connected to erternet cable its not mych better

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Older devices often have a 100mbit ethernet card which, if its a heap of junk like a Realtek 8139, can only do about 75mbits at best anyway

240 and 360 are only of use to very heavy users, people with multiple devices in use at once, using wired connections or 5Ghz wifi. Its pointless for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Just rang 061272190 and it goes straight to a voicemail message to ring 1905 .Is there another loyalty number .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok- what is the current state of play- what offers are currently on the table- if all the 9 month discounts are over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 davemaher

Hi thanks yes we have a quite alot of devices using it thats why i ordered an up to date modum thinking it would handle the bigger gb on offer an up my WiFi in the house

Advertisement