Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

What time to the Irish offices close?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I negotiated a half price discount @ €50.50 for 9 months on a 12 month contract via the online chat a few days ago. I told them that I needed to talk it over with the wife that evening. They said that they noted it on the account and I needed to ring their loyalty dept. to accept the offer.

I rang them this evening to accept the offer and they said they would not honour it!

Bye Bye Virgin Media (it's been awful), hello Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Páid wrote: »
    I negotiated a half price discount @ €50.50 for 9 months on a 12 month contract via the online chat a few days ago. I told them that I needed to talk it over with the wife that evening. They said that they noted it on the account and I needed to ring their loyalty dept. to accept the offer.

I rang them this evening to accept the offer and they said they would not honour it!

Bye Bye Virgin Media (it's been awful), hello Sky!

Bad form indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Was on the Horizon Max and 240mb broadband paying €85p/m. Got the increase email and called them tonight.
    Got through to the call centre in Manilla. Gave the girl my account details, Got put on hold. told her about the Sky deal. Got put on hold. Got offered half price for four months and I said I couldn't pay that and that I heard of others getting nine months. Got put on hold. She came back with 6 months half price. I said I just couldn't afford that and mentioned the sky deal and the nine months again. Got put on hold. She came back and asked for the account number of the person who got 9 months. I told her it was people on a forum. Got put on hold. She came back and said she was really sorry, but could only give a final offer of 6 months. I said I was sorry, but I just can't afford it and I'll have to reject the offer. Asked her who do I contact about cancelling. Got put on hold.
    Finally she came back and gave me the 9 months half price. Got put on hold while she ran it through the system.
    Thanks to everyone here for the heads up. Have been keeping a keen eye on this thread and if it hadn't been for you guys, I'd certainly have caved far earlier. Was on the phone for about 45 minutes and it was well worth the time spent for those savings. The girl was very nice to deal with, they obviously have to just do their best to keep customers on the higher rate. Would recommend and will do it all again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Vodafone Ireland has just launched a revamped fiber+TV+phone offering: 80 channels, 1Gbit fiber speeds (advertised), free unlimited calls to landlines. Headline pricing is bang in line with Virgin but they offer a nice 6 month promotion for €40 (then €85) which is another handy negotiating tool with VM Loyalty Dept. IMO.
    full details on vodafone.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

jenno86 wrote: »
    Anyone have luck with the 6 months half price today? Girl in Manilla swore blind she could not offer it.

Yep, just got it there. Said it was the "max" when pushed for 9 months. Took it in the end, as I have no other real options outside eir and don't want the hassle of a landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭froggy1985

Ronan wrote: »
    Yep, just got it there. Said it was the "max" when pushed for 9 months. Took it in the end, as I have no other real options outside eir and don't want the hassle of a landline.

Same situation for me, was offered 4 months by Manila, got offered 6 months by loyalty team in Ireland, will most likely just take it. Disappointed not to get 9 months but I have no other realistic options. Sky cant confirm broadband availability at my address until after a TV package has been installed :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

I just got offered six months half price and upgrade to 240mg was on 120mg, 12 month contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

Just to add that was girl in Manilla

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tt2014

im actually having nightmares with manila, maybe its just my luck but the first guy I talked to said I should just take what im given and the second one said I sounded really pretty- seriously, how I would like to talk to an irish person, any idea what the limerick number is? thanks folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Trying it now on chat, and 'Darren' is point blank refusing to accept there is any discount available other than what's on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

the corpo wrote: »
    Trying it now on chat, and 'Darren' is point blank refusing to accept there is any discount available other than what's on their site

I got darren too. Avoid him. Seems to be on a powertrip to save the company money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Ring 1908 ans ask to be put tru to an irish loyalty team member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Redfox25 wrote: »
    I got darren too. Avoid him. Seems to be on a powertrip to save the company money.

I complained about him in my chat review. Such power I wield!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭McBain11

Rang 1908 and was through to the Irish number. Threatened to cancel and take up sky/eir, ended up getting 4 months half price on current deal. Could have pushed for more I have no doubt but was contented enough with that so will persevere with them for the 12 months.

Thanks for the heads up on discounted deals with them, from fellow boardsies on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Rang Limerick, spoke to Gerard. Gave out a bit about not getting any benefit from the changes & moaned that I've been a customer since 2009. Mentioned the Sky offer too.

Eventually got 6 months half price (37.50) & 6 months at €75.

12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Just off the phone with the loyalty department. After a bit of hardball I got 6 months half price 360mb (upgrade from 120mb) on a 12 month contract.

This is my second time in 2-3 weeks dealing with the loyalty team in Manila and both times they've been a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Morby

Anyone else have any joy in getting a 9 month discount?

Just off the phone to Manilla there now to be told that the 9 month discount offer ended last night at 9pm. I wouldn't mind but I rang before 9pm yesterday when the 9 month discount was still supposedly available only to be told that it didn't exist.

How is everyone else faring today?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

hey guys, looking to cancel my sky sports, billing getting out of hand, would that loyalty line be able to cancel it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

holz shiz i got Darren today also on chat, i waited 10 minutes to connect, i was then typing and 90 seconds passed and he disconnected, the muppet, i also complained about him in the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Morby wrote: »
    Anyone else have any joy in getting a 9 month discount?

Just off the phone to Manilla there now to be told that the 9 month discount offer ended last night at 9pm. I wouldn't mind but I rang before 9pm yesterday when the 9 month discount was still supposedly available only to be told that it didn't exist.

How is everyone else faring today?

Wouldn't mind the 9PM thing, they basically lie to suit them. I pushed and pushed , was on hold for about 12 minutes while they "talked to a manager" and then told 6 months was the max anybody ever got. They wouldn't acknowledge that boards.ie even existed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sky deal ends tonight, there goes that bargaining tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

ted1 wrote: »
    Sky deal ends tonight, there goes that bargaining tool

Probably new offers on the way Sky Q available from 9th makes horizon look like a complete joke:

Sky Q Bundle – €55 per month

Sky TV in 1 room
    Stream TV on 1 tablet
    Take Recordings with you (via the Sky Q app)
    Record 3 shows and watch a 4th live
    Store up to 150 hours with 1TB storage on the Sky Q box
    300+ Channels including a Sky1, Sky Living, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic
    Up to 65 HD channels
    Over 300 Sky Box Sets On Demand
    Free service visits
    3D On Demand
    Sky Go Extra & downloads

Sky Q Silver Bundle – €67 per month

Sky TV in 2 rooms
    Stream TV on 2 tablets
    Record 4 shows and watch a 5th live
    Up to 65 HD channels
    Free service visits
    3D On Demand
    Sky Go Extra & downloads
    UHD ready

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

Was on to 1908 twice today. First call was to an agent and he would only eventually give 4 months half price after a lot of pushing. Quoted Sky Deal and Eir Deal and played the long time customer card, wife lost her job and had to make cutbacks and savings. Eventually he put me through to loyalty and after 40 mins the best they would do was 6 months half price. I hung up and rang again. Told them I got cut off from loyalty and was put back through to them. Again after a good twenty five minutes, the best I could get was 6 months half price. Then rang 061 272190 and again the best they would do was 6 months half price. Seems like the 9 months half price deal is off the table or else I am losing my haggling skills.

My elderly parents are still paying €30 a month for analogue. Can't get them to change even though the digital is better value. Anyway do you think if I rang up and threatened to get rid of the analogue in favour of say saorview they might give them a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

Probably new offers on the way Sky Q available from 9th makes horizon look like a complete joke:

Sky Q Bundle – €55 per month

Sky TV in 1 room
    Stream TV on 1 tablet
    Record 3 shows and watch a 4th live
    Up to 65 HD channels
    Free service visits
    3D On Demand
    Sky Go Extra & downloads

Sky Q Silver Bundle – €67 per month

Sky TV in 2 rooms
    Stream TV on 2 tablets
    Record 4 shows and watch a 5th live
    Up to 65 HD channels
    Free service visits
    3D On Demand
    Sky Go Extra & downloads
    UHD ready

One word, Broadband. It's the only reason why we are all here. If VM did not have it, well we'd all be on sky or FTA. There is no argument that sky are miles ahead in terms of UI slickness and response speed. It's simply a joy to use. I'm very disappointed that horizon hasn't made bigger all inroads to improve their flagship UI after so long. It's just nasty, slow and cumbersome.

The broadband is, and will remain, their saving grace.

In addition, those sky Q prices are shít too for a 'TVs only' service. And there is a ridiculous setup fee well in excess of 100€, which goes up to nearly €200 for existing sky+ customers. That's gonna be popular:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My elderly parents are still paying €30 a month for analogue. Can't get them to change even though the digital is better value. Anyway do you think if I rang up and threatened to get rid of the analogue in favour of say saorview they might give them a discount?

Get rid of it and get them in a Free to Air sky dish/Saorview reciever, has everything that would be needed and it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

McBain11 wrote: »
    Rang 1908 and was through to the Irish number. Threatened to cancel and take up sky/eir, ended up getting 4 months half price on current deal. Could have pushed for more I have no doubt but was contented enough with that so will persevere with them for the 12 months.

Thanks for the heads up on discounted deals with them, from fellow boardsies on this thread.

Same as myself, they seem to be reluctant now to offer the 6. All the other feckers here who got there before us must have eaten into the budget used for offering discounts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Sky deal ending is likely a bigger factor. Wait til the new one unless your 30 days is nearly up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

As tallglass says, its the way to go. Done my folks a few years back & they love it. A cheap combo, dish, antenna and a few other bits. All equipment could be got for little more than €100.

Advertisement