Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A great year ahead of him when you think of his earning potential, hopefully he drops a bit of weight and gets himself in order to make a proper go of it. I wish him the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

A great year ahead of him when you think of his earning potential, hopefully he drops a bit of weight and gets himself in order to make a proper go of it. I wish him the best.

He can do what he likes with his weight as far as I am concerned. Just keep playing good golf and keep porgressing up the rankings. it has been great having him to watch this season.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We will not be going there, so drop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Keano wrote: »
    We will not be going there, so drop it

We can discuss Padraig's eyesight, Rory's weights programme, Tiger's knees.....
    But not........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

In fairness to the mods, they only step in when certain issues take topics way off thread and start to dominate the discussion. There was way too much back and forth about Shane's weight a few months back and they imposed an embargo. Likewise when the country certain players were declaring for started to take over other threads.

It prevents a lot of needless bickering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Shane has given us some great entertainment this year... Been a pleasure to follow him. Looking forward to more of the same next year.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Shane has given us some great entertainment this year... Been a pleasure to follow him. Looking forward to more of the same next year.

As he gets better, he gets more TV coverage, so hopefully that will continue. It is great to have an Irish golfer to watch. Hope he has another great season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Advertisement

Very nice interview, Hope he pushes on and also gets that win in 2015.

I see Shane is starting off his season in the States. https://www.facebook.com/shanelowrygolf?fref=nf

Those tournaments are on during the first two weeks in February. Would be nice to see him carry over some of his form from last season and get 2015 off to a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach, sweet :)

abff wrote: »
    I see Shane is starting off his season in the States. https://www.facebook.com/shanelowrygolf?fref=nf

Those tournaments are on during the first two weeks in February. Would be nice to see him carry over some of his form from last season and get 2015 off to a good start.

Great that he now has the chance to play in America, which I think he has always wanted. Hope it goes well for him.

Shane remains at 45 in the World Rankings this week, but he's now ahead of Tiger Woods. I know it's because Tiger's been injured, but still...

abff wrote: »
    Shane remains at 45 in the World Rankings this week, but he's now ahead of Tiger Woods. I know it's because Tiger's been injured, but still...

Yes, it looks well

45th Lowry

47th Woods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Up to 44th

Didn't even have to pick up a club :D

Rikand wrote: »
    Up to 44th

Didn't even have to pick up a club :D

Jammy b@5tard practicing in Orlando all week, if I was him I would have touched base with Poults for a round at Nona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

he's starting very late considering most of the other tour players are up and running any reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

benny79 wrote: »
    he's starting very late considering most of the other tour players are up and running any reason?

Because he is able to focus on bigger events now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He had a very busy schedule to end last season, well deserved break especially with his world ranking holding up so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He picked up €94K by coming 11th in the Nedbank Challenge last December. That event was the first in the schedule for the 2015 Race to Dubai and from that event alone he is currently 36th in the R2D rankings despite not having played in a single event in calendar year 2015.

He had a very busy schedule to end last season, well deserved break especially with his world ranking holding up so well.

Hope he isn't too rusty now. Looking forward to seeing him (well, if the cameras move away for Tiger for a moment or two) this week.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Hope he isn't too rusty now. Looking forward to seeing him (well, if the cameras move away for Tiger for a moment or two) this week.

Unless he's in contention or gets a spectacular shot I doubt we will see any of him

slave1 wrote: »
    Unless he's in contention or gets a spectacular shot I doubt we will see any of him

Ah sure we'll wait and see who he's drawn with. 44th in the world. Could get himself into a decent grouping!

Last season was just brilliant for him. He got his schedule just right, it seems, so I think we all have high hopes for him this season.

No frost worries for this jammy dodger

B83FWaDCMAAe_5N.jpg:large

He's dead right to spend a good while warming up there. More luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

This will be hard for him, two brand new courses, he might only get a chance to play them once beforehand so learning curve not in his favour, if he makes the cut then that would in itself be doing okay

AGC wrote: »

Playing in the group directly behind Mickleson. If he's playing any kind of decent golf, we'll see plenty of him as there'll be cameras in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Good to see Dustin Johnson back though... (wrong thread I know)

AGC wrote: »

Never heard of either of those guys. Might be no harm to have a quiet group as he's learning the course.

Lose the beard dude

B9BOGz_IgAEkb4f.jpg

His bag this week, wonder what club is missing? 4 iron, another hybrid?

B9BOG0JIEAA9mkf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The beard is awesome... Don't be jealous, you'll be able to grow one when you grow up

Early days, but he's had a bogey and a double to be 3 over after 5. Rusty I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Possibly easy to say in hindsight but I did find it strange that he didn't choose to open his season in one of the desert swing events on a course that he was familiar with rather than a tough PGA Tour event on a couple of new courses for him (AFAIK).

Early days still though, hope he can steady the ship with a birdie at the par 5 now.

What on earth has happened on Hole 7? Shot tracker implies that he went backwards from the fairway into the rough!

.........well he got a par, so the shot tracker obviously had a wobbly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

SSK wrote: »
    Possibly easy to say in hindsight but I did find it strange that he didn't choose to open his season in one of the desert swing events on a course that he was familiar with rather than a tough PGA Tour event on a couple of new courses for him (AFAIK).

Early days still though, hope he can steady the ship with a birdie at the par 5 now.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/im-ryder-cup-level-says-lowry-302730.html

He said: “I’d like to take a month in January to get ready for that and the season that’s ahead rather than being thrown in the deep end with three events in a row in the desert.

“I’d really like to play both tours because even through I played a bit in the US last year, I didn’t have a great time because I wasn’t doing too well.

“It was all a bit rushed, getting invites the week before events and playing different types of courses and different greens every week. It was too much too quick.”

I think he was dead right to give the Desert Swing a miss. He was having a terrible time up until April/May last year and I would have put that down to a crazy schedule. People on here were panicking that he wouldn't retain his card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

PARlance wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/im-ryder-cup-level-says-lowry-302730.html

He said: “I’d like to take a month in January to get ready for that and the season that’s ahead rather than being thrown in the deep end with three events in a row in the desert.

“I’d really like to play both tours because even through I played a bit in the US last year, I didn’t have a great time because I wasn’t doing too well.

“It was all a bit rushed, getting invites the week before events and playing different types of courses and different greens every week. It was too much too quick.”

I think he was dead right to give the Desert Swing a miss. He was having a terrible time up until April/May last year and I would have put that down to a crazy schedule. People on here were panicking that he wouldn't retain his card.

I get that he needed a break alright but I question the logic of starting your season in unfamiliar surroundings. It seems that his schedule is being dictated more by the sponsors invites that he can get to events in the States rather than anything else.

As he says, it was this more than anything else that caused his schedule issues last year as well. I suppose his invites are more solid this year and he has been able to plan better, hence him skipping the desert. I do like that he's fully backing himself to succeed in the States.

I see he is playing the much tougher South Course today so no need to panic just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

SSK wrote: »
    I get that he needed a break alright but I question the logic of starting your season in unfamiliar surroundings. It seems that his schedule is being dictated more by the sponsors invites that he can get to events in the States rather than anything else.

As he says, it was this more than anything else that caused his schedule issues last year as well. I suppose his invites are more solid this year and he has been able to plan better, hence him skipping the desert. I do like that he's fully backing himself to succeed in the States.

I see he is playing the much tougher South Course today so no need to panic just yet.

I think he just wants a good crack at the US, while he is starting in unfamiliar surroundings, he probably thinks this will all help him get very familiar with golf over there and that it pays off in the long run.

I would be happy if he made just made a few cuts over the next while, in the hope that he starts firing by the time the Masters comes around.

Here's hoping it's another good year, wheneveror wherever the good performances come.

Bit of work for Shane to do if he is to make the cut, but it's all part of the learning process.

Shane just finished his first round and clawed one back on the last to finish with a 74 (+2). He's on the easier North course this evening. Would love him to make the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

vienne86 wrote: »
    Shane just finished his first round and clawed one back on the last to finish with a 74 (+2). He's on the easier North course this evening. Would love him to make the cut.

Probably needs a 69. Definitely no worse than 70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

1 under thru 4. Cut saying level at the moment but I'd say it would go to 1 under so he needs to pick up a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looking good for Lowry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Come on Shane !! Kevin Keegan comes to mind,,

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

he's seems to be going well today, just gone -3 thru 10, -1 for the tournament, projected cut is currently even, so hopefully he can keep it going

On the easier course tody, and making the most of the birdie opportunities. C'mon Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I just read the first page of this thread, it makes for funny reading!! Some posters claiming Shane would be running a pro-shop by now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement