Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you perceive the overall work of the Gardai

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

emind me who we are talking about and what he has done

Superman, and something to do with some missing kryptonite?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

doingmybit wrote: »
    Superman, and something to do with some missing kryptonite?:confused:
    sorry thought this was a serious discussion

sorry thought this was a serious discussion

It is, but i felt that you were been as bit smart when you asked me to remind you of the subjects circumstances.:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I was stopped a few years ago and asked the plain-clothes garda for identification, he took out his wallet and folded it showing me (quickly) his garda badge only in the palm of his hand. Is there any reason why he did not show me his photographic garda id card? or am I thinking too much about it?

snubbleste wrote: »
    I was stopped a few years ago and asked the plain-clothes garda for identification, he took out his wallet and folded it showing me (quickly) his garda badge only in the palm of his hand. Is there any reason why he did not show me his photographic garda id card? or am I thinking too much about it?

Your thinking like a civilian. They do this as a job day in day out. His not standing for a photo. Also, if his plain clothes he wouldn't stand around with his I.D badge in his hand for all to see. A quick flash of the badge is enough for me, you can't buy them in the pound shop!

• Advertisement

It is, but i felt that you were been as bit smart when you asked me to remind you of the subjects circumstances.:confused:
    wasn't being smart;)can't recall the circs. as i recall the question was if a garda did wrong should he be punished and i said yes. someone said he was retired and could not be fined as he was not being paid. my point was that yes he should be punished as a non garda would be and if he could not be disclipined he could be fined or jailed. excuse if i have got it wrong have not time to read all thread

Your thinking like a civilian.
    civilians are entitled to know the cops name
    They do this as a job day in day out. His not standing for a photo. Also, if his plain clothes he wouldn't stand around with his I.D badge in his hand for all to see. A quick flash of the badge is enough for me, you can't buy them in the pound shop!
    he is still obliged to identify himself properly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Your thinking like a civilian. They do this as a job day in day out. His not standing for a photo. Also, if his plain clothes he wouldn't stand around with his I.D badge in his hand for all to see. A quick flash of the badge is enough for me, you can't buy them in the pound shop!

He stopped me! and I need to be satisfied that he is a garda not someone who got a shiny badge online, as i'd never seen a garda badge before then! Having this non-identifiable garda showing me his photographic ID card with name, rank and number on it would have made the experience less-stressful for me. I felt that by not showing his ID card, he was concealing something.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I felt that by not showing his ID card, he was concealing something.
    maybe he did not want you to see his name. sometimes the do not like folk knowing their name in case they would make a complaint. Better if the person does not know who it was

when one rings the garda for any reason the garda is supposed to give their name without being asked but have to be asked in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

when one rings the garda for any reason the garda is supposed to give their name without being asked

Wait. What? Please produce a source for this; this is pure Speculation IMO as I have never been taught this nor have I ever seen such a particular in the code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

maybe he did not want you to see his name. sometimes the do not like folk knowing their name in case they would make a complaint. Better if the person does not know who it was
    when one rings the garda for any reason the garda is supposed to give their name without being asked but have to be asked in my experience

Evidence to support either statement please. Statement one is a guess stated as fact, statement two is simple wrong.

At no point did he ask for the officers name, only that he ID himself as a Garda which the officer did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Garda Customer Charter, Page 5:

www.garda.ie/pub/charter.pdf
    • When you access our services, you are entitled to be given the name
    and station of the Garda you are dealing with, without request.

civdef wrote: »
    Garda Customer Charter, Page 5:

www.garda.ie/pub/charter.pdf

So lets get this right, when you approach me I need to start the conversation by saying; "Hello sir, My names Garda Karlitosway1978 and Im attached to makeyuppey Garda station"

Weird!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I dunno, ask the Garda brass who wrote, published and presumably implemented that document... :)

I had an idea to look for that item in the customer charter because most public bodies have one saying the same thing - which is why I have to answer the phone with my name at work.

So lets get this right, when you approach me I need to start the conversation by saying; "Hello sir, My names Garda Karlitosway1978 and Im attached to makeyuppey Garda station"

Weird!:o

Ya, since they introduced the new programme in templemore a few years back they started to introduce customer service like procedures into the programme . I think 2005 or 2006. Yes, your name and station is the first thing you are to say when answering the phone.:eek:

Why didn't he just ask to see the id card properly. If someone asked me i would show it again and i would say he would have also. If you don't ask, you wouldn't receive.:cool:

Wait. What? Please produce a source for this; this is pure Speculation IMO as I have never been taught this nor have I ever seen such a particular in the code.
    garda customer charter under acccess to services "When you access our services, you are entitled to be given the name and station of the garda you are dealing with without request"
    http://www.garda.ie/pub/charter.pdf

Ya, since they introduced the new programme in templemore a few years back they started to introduce customer service like procedures into the programme . I think 2005 or 2006. Yes, your name and station is the first thing you are to say when answering the phone.:eek:
    don't say it here, wonder why. Iwas told many years ago by a public servant they ps do not give give names so that anyone who is unhappy will not have a name to complain. friend worked with ps for a while and was told not to put name on a comp slip if they put information on it re brochures when sending them out

Why didn't he just ask to see the id card properly. If someone asked me i would show it again and i would say he would have also. If you don't ask, you wouldn't receive.:cool:
    nonsense cop is obliged to identify himself proba mind game huh

don't say it here, wonder why. Iwas told many years ago by a public servant they ps do not give give names so that anyone who is unhappy will not have a name to complain. friend worked with ps for a while and was told not to put name on a comp slip if they put information on it re brochures when sending them out

As Karlitosway1978 said already, second hand information again. a friend of a friend blah blah blah. You know what you think you know, i know the facts;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

This management bull**** does my head in :mad: The police are an emergency service, some asshole in an office got promoted because he came up with the bright idea of referring to victims of crime and people in need of assistance as "customers".

As Karlitosway1978 said already, second hand information again. a friendi of a friend blah blah blah. You know what you think you know,
    i said a friend and i do know it is endemic in ps not to give name
    i know the facts;)
    cop on and i know all about the bully boy coppy boy mind games and how they lie when caught out.

CLADA wrote: »
    This management bull**** does my head in :mad: The police are an emergency service, some asshole in an office got promoted because he came up with the bright idea of referring to victims of crime and people in need of assistance as "customers".
    +1

i said a friend and i do know it is endemic in ps not to give name
    cop on and i know all about the bully boy coppy boy mind games and how they lie when caught out.

Ok then, next

Seems a long winded thing when the person on the other end of the phone could be under pressure to blurt out "Help" quickly.

Name or station I can understand. "Hello, Make believe station" or "Hello Garda Karlitosway speaking". Now thats fine and perfectly polite IMHO compared to someone grunting "Wha?" on the phone.

Jack,
    Were not OBLIGED to ID ourselves as your suggesting. Theres no law or discipline regulation that says we must and from what your seeing here, its fair to say this new thing about saying name and station is not well known.

The regulations state that a uniform Garda must produce ID and give our names on request from a person entitled to ask. A person entitled being someone dealing with us. Of course, plain clothes should be producing their cards. If for nothing else, common sense.

But too be honest, now that we all have shoulder numbers I dont see why thats not acceptable and truth be known, a lot more identifiable than a name. After all, theres only 1 Garda in the country with my shoulder number compared to probable a few hundred with my common as muck name (including more than 1 other in my station).

And theres nothing sinister about not giving our names, we give it where the person reasonable needs it just like its common enough to be handed a business card (presuming theres actually some in the station to begin with :rolleyes:). When I walk into a shop no one tells me their names when they want to sell me a stereo or take my order :)

Seems a long winded thing when the person on the other end of the phone could be under pressure to blurt out "Help" quickly.

Name or station I can understand. "Hello, Make believe station" or "Hello Garda Karlitosway speaking". Now thats fine and perfectly polite IMHO compared to someone grunting "Wha?" on the phone.
    :)

Ya, your right, but i think when you are answering the 999 phone you can just state the station.:confused:As for the normal phone or the green man, they try to get you to id yourself by name and station when answering as the green man can be anywhere, but i feel that if you are just pleasant and courteous when answering the phone there is no need to i.d yourself as usually the person on the other side wants to talk to someone else asap.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I dunno, ask the Garda brass who wrote, published and presumably implemented that document... :)quote]
    I don't know if there's any left, but about 10 years ago, "they" put stickers on all the phones telling us how to answer them.

Something along these lines: Answer within 3 rings saying "good morning, good afternoon etc.. This is (your ) Garda Station, Garda (your name) speaking. How may I be of assistance?"

We arrived into work at 5.45am (ahem) and examined these stickers with curiosity.

Of course, the phone rang and was picked up bang-on the third ring and enthusiastically answered "Good morning good, afternoon etcetera. This is your Garda Station, Garda Yourname speaking. How may I be of assistance?!"

A lovely moment.

deadwood wrote: »
    I dunno, ask the Garda brass who wrote, published and presumably implemented that document... :)quote]
    I don't know if there's any left, but about 10 years ago, "they" put stickers on all the phones telling us how to answer them.

Man, ye were ahead of yer time, progressive weren't ye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

deadwood wrote: »

Man, ye were ahead of yer time, progressive weren't ye:D
    You mean the stickeratariumatus or the telephonecommunicatariatus?

• Advertisement
Advertisement