Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you perceive the overall work of the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

It's amazing how few instances of speeding results in fatal rtcs.

You have any links to back this up? Or just supposition on your part?

Have you actually ever sat down and watched a news report about a fatal RTC? The cars are a lot of the time, unrecognisable. Please don't say that this isn't due to speed. Sure you may argue weather conditions played a part, or road conditions, or even the other driver' actions. However, speeding reduces your ability to react sufficiently in a dangerous situation. That is a well established fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

eroo wrote: »
    You have any links to back this up? Or just supposition on your part?

Have you actually ever sat down and watched a news report about a fatal RTC? The cars are a lot of the time, unrecognisable. Please don't say that this isn't due to speed. Sure you may argue weather conditions played a part, or road conditions, or even the other driver' actions. However, speeding reduces your ability to react sufficiently in a dangerous situation. That is a well established fact.

True, ive read alot of rtc reports, and the overriding reason in most of the fatal/serioius injury reports is speed, sure other things play a part, but it is mainly speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I think what is most interesting in all this is that the people who are speaking out against the Gardai here appear to be literate, lucid and coherent people. People who appear to have gained a decent education. In fact, the grammar and spelling from those speaking out against the Gardai seems much superior than those who have identified themselves as members.[/quote]

Tsk, tsk.....
    It's amazing how few instances of speeding results in fatal rtcs.

Yes. I do have a lot of free time on my hands.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sippick

they suck big time.

sippick wrote: »
    they suck big time.
    There's the lock right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

I have no problem with the gardai in general and I've never been arrested or cautioned in my life. One incident did sour me a little for a while just wonder can one guards here maybe explain why this would happen.

I was out one night with a couple of mates in Dublin in was about 12.30 and we were walking from one bar to another. I'd had acouple of drinks but was in no way drunk. I was smoking a ciggie(it was only a ciggie) and dropped the butt on the ground. Some tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around it was 2 youg male gardai. One of them did all the talking. He asked me what I dropped on the ground, I told him politley. He said no it was a joint. I said that it wasnt, this went on for a couple of minutes and he separated me from my mates and took my details, asked me if Id been in trouble for drugs before which i hadnt. Next thing a squad car pulls up and he tells the lads in the car I was smoking a joint. Then he pops the butt i dropped in an evidence bag and give it to one of the lads in the car and tells me it'll be sent for testing and it wont be the last I hear of it. The whole episode took about 15 minutes throughout the whole thing he kept provoking me, trying to get me to react. Then when he said I could go I stood waiting to cross the road at a pedestrian crossing. The guy starts to gode me saying 'Theres a good boy Steven you wait for the green light like a good boy'.

I was so angry! What was the point of it?
    I know not all Gardai are like this but how could someone like this get through the screening process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

scubasteve wrote: »
    I have no problem with the gardai in general and I've never been arrested or cautioned in my life. One incident did sour me a little for a while just wonder can one guards here maybe explain why this would happen.

I was out one night with a couple of mates in Dublin in was about 12.30 and we were walking from one bar to another. I'd had acouple of drinks but was in no way drunk. I was smoking a ciggie(it was only a ciggie) and dropped the butt on the ground. Some tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around it was 2 youg male gardai. One of them did all the talking. He asked me what I dropped on the ground, I told him politley. He said no it was a joint. I said that it wasnt, this went on for a couple of minutes and he separated me from my mates and took my details, asked me if Id been in trouble for drugs before which i hadnt. Next thing a squad car pulls up and he tells the lads in the car I was smoking a joint. Then he pops the butt i dropped in an evidence bag and give it to one of the lads in the car and tells me it'll be sent for testing and it wont be the last I hear of it. The whole episode took about 15 minutes throughout the whole thing he kept provoking me, trying to get me to react. Then when he said I could go I stood waiting to cross the road at a pedestrian crossing. The guy starts to gode me saying 'Theres a good boy Steven you wait for the green light like a good boy'.

I know not all Gardai are like this but how could someone like this get through the screening process?

Hang on a second, he had an evidence bag with him? Weird! Usually cant get them anywhere :D

Sounds like an asshole if it happened the way you say but you still shouldnt litter, bins have ashtrays on top you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

scubasteve wrote: »

Iam not saying that this didn't happen to you but i have never seen at regular act like that.. usually way too busy for that sort of thing.

Hang on a second, he had an evidence bag with him? Weird! Usually cant get them anywhere :D
    I don't think he meant the big brown ones we use for the turf.

deadwood wrote: »
    I don't think he meant the big brown ones we use for the turf.

I havent even seen the little ones outside of the drugs unit and they are too cool to let me into the office :(

• Advertisement

I havent even seen the little ones outside of the drugs unit and they are too cool to let me into the office :(
    Check out the empty ones in the bin after the Christmas party!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'm not defending speeding.

All im saying there is a time and a place for it. Doing 110km on a motorway is appropriate, doing 110km on a bad road or main street is inappropriate.

Thats my point
    Simple really
    Not everyone that drink drives kills either.
    Not everyone that takes drugs OD's.
    Not everyone that attacks another person kills them.

Whats your point? Too be honest this arguement in defence of speeding is bull**** and primarily used by little boy racers defending their 'superior' driving skills. Bottom line, faster you go the harder the hit, longer the stopping distance, longer the reaction time to distance travelled ratio and less chance of the kid getting out of your way.

What is it the ad says? "Hit me at 50 I have a 80% chance of dying. Hit me at 40 I have an 80% chance of living".

yayamark wrote: »
    I'm not defending speeding.

All im saying there is a time and a place for it. Doing 110km on a motorway is appropriate, doing 110km on a bad road or main street is inappropriate.

Thats my point
    Simple really

Fair point, but we all can remember the deaths on the motorway in dublin last year when people were traveling at 110kpm in the fog??? A few people die as a result. Put simply, the faster you go no matter where you are the chances of dying or serious injury happening to you or others increases if something goes wrong. I see it every day, people zooming past on the motorway's and you catch up with them in the next bottle neck town. I much prefer to arrive alive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭scubasteve

Sounds like an asshole if it happened the way you say but you still shouldnt litter, bins have ashtrays on top you know.

I know but if I litter fine me for littering. Dont harass me and accuse me of doing drugs:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

TheNog wrote: »
    An example of this is actually a complaint that was made against me. A woman wrote into my Super to complain that there was a very strong smell of alcohol from my breath. Now if the Super was to ask me what the story was, how would be able to respond with just the above info. I couldn't. The Super told me her name and the date I stopped her for speeding. I'm not a person to drink often and the complaint was thrown out.
    And who is the super most likely to believe. i know of a serious abuse by a cop who was complained to the old complaints board and he got away with it cos he lied and he was believed.furthermore the complainant did not have access to all the reports but the cop knew what was complained about and who made it. but said cop and others know where they stand now and won't bully the person again. psychopathic animal

They have retired, how can any company punish someone that no longer works for them? Deduct his non existent wages? Sack him after he left? Reduce his non existent rank? What?
    jail or fine them perhaps?

jail or fine them perhaps?

Fine him from what? he isnt being paid anymore.

Are you suggesting that labour law should be amended so that staff can actually have a civil claim made against them after they leave a company? Your putting labour and employee rights back about 200 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Overall, I am quite happy. However I would like to see more of them outside, especially on the roads. The amount of speeding, incorrect behaviour on the roads, using bus lanes, using fog lights during the day, using (if only) parking lights in dark and rain, incorrect parking - that is just shocking. It almost feels that following the rules is in minority and for a few dumb people.
    And I would give them a rule that they can stop and tow a car with foreign registration plates (yes, I am talking about all those speeding ####s from the north). Immediately.
    I must say that the road issues are the only things I could find undercontrolled.
    And I think that they should have right to carry any means of self defence, firearms including.

TheNog wrote: »
    life. She started to cry on the phone and I nearly started to cry listening to her story (imagine a 6ft 1, 16 stone man in a Garda uniform blubbering in the station;)). It was a great feeling for everyone in the station to hear the story.
    aw shucks
    By the time they arrived to pick him up he was seating with me in the public office, both of us watching a film and he helping me eat my Chinese.
    so that what ye do in the station;)
    Unless you are unemployed and walk the streets of Dublin all day then I can't see how you can say there is never Gardai on foot.
    or as a garda said to me once 'just because you don't see them does not mean they are not there';)

he must have some income or is everyone who is fined a cop? and there is jail

• Advertisement

Has anyone been jailed based on a tribunals findings? Haughey wasnt because they arent criminal courts and besides that its the dpp that decides on charges.

Yes, Gardai are one of the few careers that can be fined wages based on internal discipline. Private sector cannot.

Are you suggesting that labour law should be amended so that staff can actually have a civil claim made against them after they leave a company? Your putting labour and employee rights back about 200 years.

Theres his / her pension that the state pays!!!:cool:

Has anyone been jailed based on a tribunals findings? Haughey wasnt because they arent criminal courts and besides that its the dpp that decides on charges.

Yes, Gardai are one of the few careers that can be fined wages based on internal discipline. Private sector cannot.

Footballers can also !!:confused:

doingmybit wrote: »
    I hope i'm picking up something on the sarcasm radar!

I hope i'm picking up something on the sarcasm radar!

Oh, i am just tried. Just fecking around:D

Footballers can also !!:confused:

Ooh I was just about to go ape **** ;)

Oh, i am just tried. Just fecking around:D
    And tested passted!

And tested passted!

woops.. i meant tired. that will tell you now.:o

Lighten up.:cool:

• Advertisement

Lighten up.:cool:
    emind me who we are talking about and what he has done

Advertisement