Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

TimRiggins wrote: »
    The general consensus in the country seems to be we missed the boat last Sunday. I don't see it that way personally and Mayo have now played 2 connaght teams that they hammered in recent years and haven't played well in either.

This the lie. Mayo have played at a consistent level under Rochford the past two years - what was given on Sunday was no aberration or even below par effort. It falls squarely into what has become expected for them. It won't be much better Monday, not will it be much worse.

We are more unpredictable as our crazy start, first half fade away and winning the second half (a Mayo specialty in previous years) highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Just heard a Roscommon supporter on the radio asking all Roscommon supporters to give Andy Moran a standing ovation for 15 seconds on the 15th minute of the game on Monday. Some lads have little to be at.
    It was mentioned during the interview that Dermot Earley was a Mayo man, that was news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tanko wrote: »
    Just heard a Roscommon supporter on the radio asking all Roscommon supporters to give Andy Moran a standing ovation for 15 seconds on the 15th minute of the game on Monday. Some lads have little to be at.
    It was mentioned during the interview that Dermot Earley was a Mayo man, that was news to me.
    PC gone mad it's pathetic .Probably a handful of people booed him .I was in the Hill and didn't hear it.
    I'd say Andy Moran couldn't give one **** if he gets booed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

yabadabado wrote: »
    PC gone mad it's pathetic .Probably a handful of people booed him .I was in the Hill and didn't hear it.

I'm going to boo people if they don't clap Andy

Heard another huge crowd expected Monday.Gonna be over 40k.Great to see even if we are outnumbered by 10k .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Heard another huge crowd expected Monday.Gonna be over 40k.Great to see even if we are outnumbered by 10k .

I certainly felt there were more Roscommon fans than any other county the last day. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same again on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I though ros had the numbers on mayonthe last day. We were like flies in ****e.

megadodge wrote: »
    I certainly felt there were more Roscommon fans than any other county the last day. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same again on Monday.

I'd say Mayo out numbered us easily last day .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'd say Mayo out numbered us easily last day .

God no I thought you guys outnumbered us TBH,not by a whole lot but defo did.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

seligehgit wrote: »
    God no I thought you guys outnumbered us TBH,not by a whole lot but defo did.

After mayos performance the last day and it being a bank holiday Monday, I expect us to not travel as well as last week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's attention seeking gone mad.
    You'd swear a load of Rossies went out on the pitch and beat him up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Jesus some people just love to be told by the media how great people we are, true honest to good genuine gaels.

Andy Moran , a proud Mayo man who hasn't got many years left in his prestigious and distinguished career to win that allusive All Ireland would happily be going out on Monday , hell bent on revenge and for being singled out. His colleagues will want us Rossies to choke in our own tears and get the win for Andy and the green and gold. (I doubt bating the Rossies are their number 1 motive)

Mayo come out and finish what we should have done, but hey , that is okay, we stood to clap at 7 minutes and then again at 15, because somehow it also relates to our Dermott. We go home loosing a game that we should have won the last day, but hey, all is well, sure, didn't we win a Connacht, the love of some of the Nation and , shure, didn't Marty from RTE tell the nation how great we were. We are only a small county , sure, what would we be doing at Croke Park pretending to be one of the big boys?. True sports people, not like them durty English Soccer fans.

Anyway, hopefully there is no booing on one single player. Boo the whole lot of them (lol) during the game and applaud Mayo after the game. Nah, seriously this is getting ridiculous now. Imagine Meath agreeing to do this for Dublin? We witnessed the booing the last day,but I don't recall any verbal abuse on the lad (who is a great player), extreme or mild. It was Fr Ted stuff (remember, the one with the nude film and protest outside the cinema) Sure there is a lovely photograph of Andy and our lads after the last game.

Booing or not , we don't want pictures like this on Monday

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/mayo-gaa-theres-no-substitute-for-andy-moran-89186

or this

https://www.joe.ie/sport/toughest-mayo-593628

or this

https://www.livegaelic.com/news/ireland-football-final-report-dublin-vs-mayo/

https://www.google.ie/search?q=andy+moran&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDqc-JzcLVAhVSLFAKHf_tCCYQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=580#imgrc=KLoXtK0FdP7n9M:

or this

https://alchetron.com/Andy-Moran-266060-W

and certainly not this

https://www.google.ie/search?q=andy+moran&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDqc-JzcLVAhVSLFAKHf_tCCYQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=580#imgdii=bu6IguQpjwWMQM:&imgrc=KLoXtK0FdP7n9M:

and on the pain of death , we don't want this

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/andy-moran-heads-late-mayo-goal-blitz-to-edge-roscommon-1.2946875

or this

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/stunning-late-comeback-helps-mayo-keep-the-dream-alive-1.2334014

Respectively, we want this , at least for this year ,images like these

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/all-ireland-final-pictures-347805

http://gaeliclife.com/2015/03/kevin-cassidy-andy-moran-and-the-chocolate-digestives/

http://www.the42.ie/shane-curran-retirement-1782276-Nov2014/

http://www.the42.ie/shane-curran-roscommon-861973-Nov2014/

http://www.gaaresults.ie/live-gaa-scores-updates-results-from-roscommon-gaa/

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/balls-ie-photo-tribute-roscommon-gaa-fans-158220

If Mayo are to bate us, fine (sob sob) we will cheer them on in the semis and finals , but, they are the enemy now on Monday, time to put these boys to sleep for the year

Hon The Rossies!

RossieMan wrote: »
    I though ros had the numbers on mayonthe last day. We were like flies in ****e.

Yep, The Rossies definitely outnumbered Mayo and the others. They were all over the stadium. All those blue and gold jerseys ya could see a mile off.

Even in the All Ireland 2006, when Roscommon played in the minor final, the Rossies only got a handful of tickets about 5,000. There were definitely more Rossies in the Stadium that day than what was originally allocated

Lads ye are dreaming if ye think we out numbered Mayo last day.

Edit:maybe im wrong but it seemed from where I was(Hill) Mayo outnumbered us .They have 10k season tickets afaik so that is serious numbers before you get anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Lads ye are dreaming if ye think we out numbered Mayo last day.

Edit:maybe im wrong but it seemed from where I was(Hill) Mayo outnumbered us .They have 10k season tickets afaik so that is serious numbers before you get anyone else.

When I arrived at Drumcondra station around 11 am, there was more Roscommon fans than Mayo, Galway and Kerry combined. Mayo fans must have arrived late though since in Croke park it looked like we had around the same amount of support as Mayo. I doubt they had more than us to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Must be big crowd expected tomorrow. Only hill 16 and lower hogan into the corner with the davin available on gaa.ie website.

Still trying to get 3 decent ones but those very corner ones are all I have been offered all week off the website. Going to chance it and see what ticket office has up there tomorrow but I'm not hopeful.

there'll be plenty of tickets outside the ground or from gaa ticket office

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

They haven't opened the upper tiers of the stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

A dubs supporter and not Mayos biggest fan but this is embarrassing, McStay is so tactically niiave its crazy
    Roscommon opened up through the middle every time

I know that he can't be completely blamed, but does Roscommon have better goalkeepers? Can't save shots (well one) can't do 45s, kick outs forget it (again, his team mates don't help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭paulbok

Will the county board issue an apology to the Roscommon fans after that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

And I thought the days of hammerings like 2009 were somewhat behind us - today was so much worse. A complete implosion. Once those early goals went in heads seemed to instantly drop and Mayo just went for the jugular, like a top 4 team does. I really hope today's performance doesn't set this team back another 5/6 years and the young lads we have stick at it.

Disappointed for the lads on the pitch, they didn't go out to play like that and unfortunately had a really really bad day at the office.

paulbok wrote: »
    Will the county board issue an apology to the Roscommon fans after that?

A team needs better support than that kind of remark tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Very disappointed with our performance today. Everything went against us throughout the match, but the better team won on the day. One good thing to come out of today is the experience of playing against an exceptional side in Croke Park. They are a young team and I am confident that we will be back stronger next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Well that didn't go to plan! Now is a time for cool heads - no need for knee jerk reactions - got destroyed on the day by a far more experienced and physically stronger Mayo side. Harsh comment on goalkeeper above - actually think he's a very good keeper - nothing he or anyone could have done today with those goals. Need to keep this squad together and add a few to it and build on the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

kilns wrote: »
    A dubs supporter and not Mayos biggest fan but this is embarrassing, McStay is so tactically niiave its crazy
    Roscommon opened up through the middle every time

He was a tactical genius this time last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

How the hell did we go from last Sunday to that? Jebus, the gulf was astounding. We were second to every ball unlike the Connacht Final and last week's good spells. Today we were disjointed, second-best almost everywhere and slower everywhere. 

Props to Mayo, they had the gameplan down to a T. Once the opportunity was there for a goal, they took it, and again and again. They were ruthless and we rue the what-if of last weekend.

It's the hope that kills you. I was more confident today at 2pm than I was last week. See where that gets me!!

don't know why we made so many changes!
    maybe we wanted to finish with a stronger team?
    we were outclassed
    have Mayo another two performances like that left?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    He was a tactical genius this time last week

Ah now... that was one of our very own who was in love with the duo 8 days ago. Even went on to compare him to Cody!

Haven't heard from in a while, think he moved to Frenchpark last Wednesday such was his admiration.

• Advertisement

Look, it was a case of the real Mayo showing up today. What they did to us today is no different to what they normally do, only actually worse. They beat us in Midfield which we know we have issues, hence the goal keeper not making to many efforts to kick the ball out long. Mayo goal keeper did not either but he always had players ready to run onto it.

This is nothing new for Mayo Their forwards are fantastic in trying to challenge their opposition goal keeper with his kick outs.

All three goals, and several points were conceded by via the goal keepers kicks out. When he tried to use the width of the pitch, he knocked it over the sideline of the Hogan stand twice (and did so last week) The lad could not even get anywhere near knocking over a 45 (he a free last week as well) One kick out was tapped to McDermott and a comedy of errors ensued and nearly conceded another goal in the first half. While the half forwards, midfield and half back have to take some of the blame for the lack of options for the goal keeper, I hope to god they have other options next year.

As for Mayo, credit to them, they looked fresh. Hope they get back to the final now, and bate Dublin

Failure to beat a Mayo team that were flat last weekend, and plenty of huffing and poofing from our lads (which was a worry) and inability to maintain the intensity for 10 more minutes of the game, is very disappointing. Yes we have a Connacht title and we are delighted with that, but today was a humiliation. Need to be made a stern stuff to come back from that.

Advertisement