Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

to put things into perspective, when you add in the 11 minutes of added time, Roscommon scored 7 points in the last ~70 minutes of the game. the brace of goals kept a poor performance covered for majority of the game.

Ros did well for about 12-15 mins after the break, but overall it was a very disjointed performance and i think i am correct in saying 5 of the starting 6 forwards were replaced?

Good point. I think the epic nature and intensity of the game is probably clouding view on the actual quality of the game. No doubting the heart and sheer work rate of the team but I thought we looked a bit clueless in the second quarter in terms of how to go about scores, we didn't adjust to their sweeper and movement in the full forward line dried up.
    My other concern would be looking at the team that finished the game was where the winning scores were going to come from outside of the Smith brothers. Would Kiloran have been a better option than Cathal Compton for that substitution. No slight at all on Cathal I'm just thinking of the injuries he has had this year and a lack of match sharpness. Heard from a few sources that Mckeon is absolutely flying in training and might be another option from the bench the next day.
    As Mcstay said before the game this is a young side and they were all making their championship debuts in Croke park apart from Seanie so last week's game is all money in the bank.

Thoughts on the team for the replay? Donie is the most obvious one but it's a tough call as he is a great impact player to be able to bring in to lift team and crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

How's everyone doing with the ticket buying? What Stand, Section, Where did you buy from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

to put things into perspective, when you add in the 11 minutes of added time, Roscommon scored 7 points in the last ~70 minutes of the game. the brace of goals kept a poor performance covered for majority of the game.

Ros did well for about 12-15 mins after the break, but overall it was a very disjointed performance and i think i am correct in saying 5 of the starting 6 forwards were replaced?

Gusty and competitive performance more than disjointed one IMO. That game wasn't one for forwards and the longer the game went on the less time and room they had on the ball, the best players on the field was all arguably defenders or sweepers Kilroy,Mullooly,McManus,Barrett,Keegan,Boyle etc.

How may people would have thought Roscommon would win the 2nd half by 2 points after losing the first half by 2 points? very few i can imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd drop Diarmuid Murtagh and bring him on with 25 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I just hope Andy Moran is starting for Mayo

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

nice_guy80 wrote: »

I know he didn't have a great day out the last day but I don't know could you drop him. He offers a lot on a good day in terms of picking out players and I don't think he'll play as poor on Monday. Having said that I think Donie has more than justified a place on the starting 15 but who is to lose out.

When will the team be named I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm glad you're not Kevin McStay!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Statement re booing of Moran. Fair play.
    http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/news-detail/10027247/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Statement re booing of Moran. Fair play.
    http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/news-detail/10027247/

Jesus Wept.... What have we become?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Kevin on the charm offensive?

I believe all the cool kids call this virtue signalling. That term brought up as much vomit as the statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

PARlance wrote: »
    Kevin on the charm offensive?

I believe all the cool kids call this virtue signalling. That term brought up as much vomit as the statement.

FFS....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Thats the thing that really encourages me for the replay. We didn't play anywhere close to our best, and if it wasn't for that AOS interception we could have won. That was a huge moment.

The nerves and the Croker factor shouldn't be a factor. The lads can come in fully focused on playing their best football for 70 minutes.

would have been better to say nothing
    the problem is, there are so many mayo pundits in the media and they have been shouting about it since sunday

you need to finish with almost a stronger team than your starting team.
    I don't think we have that if we start the same team again.
    we only had one scoring forward left on the field at the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Thats the thing that really encourages me for the replay. We didn't play anywhere close to our best, and if it wasn't for that AOS interception we could have won. That was a huge moment.

The nerves and the Croker factor shouldn't be a factor. The lads can come in fully focused on playing their best football for 70 minutes.

Ah yes, but neither did Mayo play anywhere near close to their best, and if they do next week then Roscommon will really have to up their game.

Ah yes, but neither did Mayo play anywhere near close to their best, and if they do next week then Roscommon will really have to up their game.

I think both teams are going to learn from their mistakes for the match. I still think we will be in better shape than Mayo for it though, that should be a huge advantage to us.

Mayo haven't played close to their best all season
    they can't just turn it on like a tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The level Mayo played at on Sunday was the one they have been at all year, and all last year minus maybe the Dublin matches. You seem to have been waiting for this kick for quite some time.

You can't see the forest for the trees, I'm afraid.

Syferus wrote: »
    The level Mayo played at on Sunday was the one they have been at all year, and all last year minus maybe the Dublin matches. You seem to have been waiting for this kick for quite some time.

Read some of my posts on the Mayo thread about this team in 2017.

Syferus wrote: »

Read some of my posts on the Mayo thread about this team in 2017.
    you're alright, thanks

Mayo haven't played close to their best all season
    they can't just turn it on like a tap.

I've said since half time in the Clare game that Mayo's goose is cooked.

I'm not suggesting that they can turn it on like a tap as many Mayo fans have been expecting that to happen and it has failed to happen.
    But they are still capable of better shooting than we saw on Sunday.

The idea that Roscommon played bad and will not do so again, without the recognition that Mayo too are capable of better is flawed thinking.

• Advertisement

that's fair enough
    mayo have been average in every game including v Sligo
    it might be good enough to beat Ros on Monday but I still feel Ros will learn from the game in croker and anything is possible

Team is named for Monday.

Kevin Mc Stay last night named his team to face Mayo in the All-Ireland Quarter Final replay to be played in Croke Park on Monday next at 2 pm.

1 Colm Lavin (Éire Óg)

2 Sean McDermott (Western Gaels)

3 Niall McInerney (St. Brigid’s

4 David Murray (Padraig Pearses)

5 John McManus (Roscommon Gaels)

6 Sean Mullooly (Strokestown)

7 Brian Stack (St Brigid’s)

8 Tadgh O’Rourke (Tulsk)

9 Enda Smith (Boyle)

10 Fintan Cregg (Elphin)

11 Niall Kilroy (Fuerty)

12 Conor Devaney (Kilbride)

13 Ciaráin Murtagh (Captain) (St Faithleach’s)

14 Diarmuid Murtagh (St. Faithleach’s)

15 Cian Connolly (Roscommon Gaels

I expect one change from that team on Monday

Has Mayo named their team yet?

I've said since half time in the Clare game that Mayo's goose is cooked.

I'm not suggesting that they can turn it on like a tap as many Mayo fans have been expecting that to happen and it has failed to happen.
    But they are still capable of better shooting than we saw on Sunday.

The idea that Roscommon played bad and will not do so again, without the recognition that Mayo too are capable of better is flawed thinking.

I wasn't saying that, I was saying there should be no excuse for the Roscommon players to not play better then they did. I don't really care if Mayo are capable of better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yes , they're going to go with "Mayo" again.

The dummy one or the one that will actually take the field? We may wait until throw in for the real one I'd say!

I hope Rochford and co panic this week and go for a few changes.
    Though I don't think they trust the players outside the 20 that they usually use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭Robson99

Jasus they are getting fierce carried away with themselves over on the Mayo thread. All the experts figuring out how to get the better of Donaghy. They would want to figure out how to beat ye boys first.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Jasus they are getting fierce carried away with themselves over on the Mayo thread. All the experts figuring out how to get the better of Donaghy. They would want to figure out how to beat ye boys first.

The general consensus in the country seems to be we missed the boat last Sunday. I don't see it that way personally and Mayo have now played 2 connaght teams that they hammered in recent years and haven't played well in either.

Advertisement