Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cars to be banned from key Dublin City Centre streets; priority to walking, buses etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I like that consideration is given to handing deliveries and LGVs in a smarter way. Also the idea of making bus gates only for buses and not for taxis is a good one.

I like this idea too:
    Options that could be considered include the removal of the Connolly Luas Stop,
    potentially transforming the space into a Commuter Bus terminus. It may also be possible to provide
    a new commercial space overhead, linking directly into Connolly Station and potentially linking via a
    walkway into Busaras. This would have the added advantage of allowing Connolly passengers to
    move directly into Busaras at grade, without having to cross Amiens Street at street level.

Also a good idea:
    It is proposed that a Coach Parking Facility will be developed close to the City Centre, providing
    secure bus parking and driver facilities off-street, within easy access of the main city
    attractions/employment areas. A planning application is currently being prepared for such a facility
    at a site in the Dublin Docklands area.
    This facility will provide safe, secure parking for both commuter and tourist coaches within a short
    distance of the city centre. It will also provide rest and convenience facilities for bus drivers. It is
    anticipated that this facility will work in conjunction with short term set down Coach Stops within
    the city centre, where passengers and tourists can be dropped off/picked up in close proximity to
    their destination.

Overall, some great ideas here. Needs investment in areas outside the city centre as well to be honest to be truly effective, and needs to get past the vested interests, but I'm hopeful.

Also, just build the shagging DART Underground, it would create huge extra capacity and enable a lot of the proposals in the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

City Swift livery on the way back on College Green :pac:

Expecting the following on lunchtime/drivetime talk shows:

Owner of BT Car Park
    Owner of Carrolls
    Union official representing de Taxis who will demand transit via College Green.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm impressed with the overall outline. Going to look at details when I can...
    MrMorooka wrote: »
    Also, just build the shagging DART Underground, it would create huge extra capacity and enable a lot of the proposals in the report.

All of the proposals are designed with the idea that Dart Ungerground won't be up and running first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Looks good in general

Look forward to hearing taxi drivers views! :rolleyes:

monument wrote: »
    All of the proposals are designed with the idea that Dart Ungerground won't be up and running first.

I know, but it would be a lot easier to 'sell' the proposals to unbelievers if DU was on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

http://dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Traffic/Documents/CoreCityCentre.jpg

Can anyone clarify the alternative private car arrangements that will exist for the changes at Bachelor's Walk, and George's Quay? Are they going to reverse the one-way system on Liffey Street? West bound traffic from the Docklands area is going to have a long detour also, surely - can the SCR cope with all that extra traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

stop wrote: »
    City Swift livery on the way back on College Green :pac:

Expecting the following on lunchtime/drivetime talk shows:

Owner of BT Car Park
    Owner of Carrolls
    Union official representing de Taxis who will demand transit via College Green.

Paging Gerry Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Plans for Suffolk street to be pedestrianised.

So could the existing bus reroutings become permanent

From rte report. http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0610/707151-dublin-city-centre-transport-study/
    Some of the restrictions are necessary because of Luas works, but will become permanent afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

MJohnston wrote: »
    http://dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RoadsandTraffic/Traffic/Documents/CoreCityCentre.jpg

Can anyone clarify the alternative private car arrangements that will exist for the changes at Bachelor's Walk, and George's Quay? Are they going to reverse the one-way system on Liffey Street? West bound traffic from the Docklands area is going to have a long detour also, surely - can the SCR cope with all that extra traffic?

The alternative is to use public transport

pclive wrote: »
    The alternative is to use public transport

Thanks, thats not actually the question I asked though.

I would imagine it would involve using the Canal, cant see them reversing the flow of traffic on Liffey Street

The map must be wrong then - where does eastbound traffic go when it reaches Liffey Street otherwise? Note that on George's Quay it mentions that the restrictions extend back to the Talbot bridge (and therefore not creating a dead end).

Think its ok to proceed up as far as Jervis Street. Maybe you are reading it wrong?

They should pedestrianise liffey street as far as North Lotts as well

Its actually Jervis Street:

Bachelors Walk Bus Gate – the diversion of general car traffic from Bachelors Walk between
    its junction with Jervis Street and its junction with O’Connell Street;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How long before this thread turns into a motorist v cyclist thread?

Seriously though, is the plan for Pearse Street traffic to all head across the Liffey at Tara street? I'd imagine a good chunk of these head down the quays at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

i wonder how practical it would be for the council to do away with on-street parking. if this weren't an option, then maybe they could moved away from allowing parking on both sides of the street to a situation where parking is only permitted on one side but with perpendicular parking so that capacity doesn't suffer as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lucan123

Plans look good, but as usual the devil is in the detail which I'm guessing was not in scope when putting the report together.

It looks like the bus users coming from West Dublin will face increased journey times

- No Left turn from Westmoreland St to the Quays, but no alternative given (that I could see). This is because of the lemming pedestrians who walk in front of traffic turning when they see the traffic on Burgh Quay stopped. Personally I always though changing the sequence would solve the problem so it be Burgh - Pedestrian - Westmoreland

- No Right turn from Bachelors Walk onto O'Connell Bridge (using Rosie Hacket instead), the reasoning is because the buses face delays crossing 2 lanes of traffic, but wouldn’t the proposed Bachelors Walk bus gate solve this? (assuming the bus gate would be enforced unlike the 2009 College Green bus gate which was basically ignored up to 6 months ago). This also removes busses from Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge & Maynooth from the proposed D'Ollier St hub

Let’s hope thy think things through properly and not just hope for the best because it sounds nice

Lucan123 wrote: »
    Plans look good, but as usual the devil is in the detail which I'm guessing was not in scope when putting the report together.

- No Left turn from Westmoreland St to the Quays, but no alternative given (that I could see). This is because of the lemming pedestrians who walk in front of traffic turning when they see the traffic on Burgh Quay stopped. Personally I always though changing the sequence would solve the problem so it be Burgh - Pedestrian - Westmoreland

Let’s hope thy think things through properly and not just hope for the best because it sounds nice

Outbound buses will head north on O'Connell Bridge - Eden Quay - Rosie Hacket Bridge - Burgh Quay - Aston Quay

• Advertisement

- No Right turn from Bachelors Walk onto O'Connell Bridge (using Rosie Hacket instead), the reasoning is because the buses face delays crossing 2 lanes of traffic, but wouldn’t the proposed Bachelors Walk bus gate solve this? (assuming the bus gate would be enforced unlike the 2009 College Green bus gate which was basically ignored up to 6 months ago). This also removes busses from Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge & Maynooth from the proposed D'Ollier St hub

Buses will still be able to access D'Olier Street by crossing the Rosie Hackett and then by going west bound on Burgh Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It looks like the bus users coming from West Dublin will face increased journey times

Outbound buses will head north on O'Connell Bridge - Eden Quay - Rosie Hacket Bridge - Burgh Quay - Aston Quay
    Buses will still be able to access D'Olier Street by crossing the Rosie Hackett and then by going west bound on Burgh Quay

While I'd broadly approve of the plans, the proposed removal of the left turn from Westmoreland Street onto Aston Quay is a tad worrying.

All of the 25/a/b/x, 26, 39/a, 66/a/b/x, 67/x, 70 and 145 come from Pearse Street, through the bus gate past the garda station, onto College Street and into Westmoreland Street.

Are all those buses going to have to route via Tara Street instead to access Burgh Quay, with all of the general traffic that uses that route instead of using the bus gate to College Street?

How will the 83 get from Westmoreland Street to the Quays and Church Street?

The notion suggested above that they go around in a loop is just nonsensical and totally impractical.

Inbound, the right turn removal at O'Connell Bridge is not such a big issue for these routes. They can use the with-flow bus lane on Eden Quay and use the Rosie Hackett Bridge and operate via Hawkins Street before using their current route via College Street, Grafton Street and Nassau Street (or College Green for the 83).

No mention either of whether the right turn from O'Connell Bridge onto Eden Quay is to be removed/retained? This is used by the 14, 15, 27 and Swords Express and as such is a busy turn (the maps for LUAS BXD suggested that it would be removed (see page 3 of this link - https://1f19be030965d7aa9cd5-0ea8ebfb2bc7a6161d6ab1bbbbe2306e.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/LCC-Route-Pack-1.pdf)

I'm disappointed that more thought has not been given in the study as to providing a second bus station for inter-regional services. A second bus station is badly needed, as Bus Aras is pretty much at capacity as it is, and it is nonsensical for the current situation to prevail with operators such as Aircoach, Citylink, Dublin Coach etc. having to stand on-street for lengthy periods of time while inter-regional coach services load/unload.

Removing Connolly LUAS stop is not the answer - it is very useful in enabling additional capacity on the LUAS in the city centre, and would be nowhere near big enough to facilitate a commuter bus station. Removing it would mean extra trams would be needed due to the extra running time to/from the Point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

How long before this thread turns into a motorist v cyclist thread?

Any of this will not be tolerated and posts will be deleted.

-- mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

AngryLips wrote: »
    i wonder how practical it would be for the council to do away with on-street parking. if this weren't an option, then maybe they could moved away from allowing parking on both sides of the street to a situation where parking is only permitted on one side but with perpendicular parking so that capacity doesn't suffer as much.

Their track record on any suggestions about removing on-street parking has not been good - it's a big revenue stream for the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

thomasj wrote: »
    Plans for Suffolk street to be pedestrianised.

So could the existing bus reroutings become permanent

From rte report. http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0610/707151-dublin-city-centre-transport-study/

This is a real no-brainer to be honest. Everyone is now used to the fact that you can't drive/bus/etc down there and its too narrow for all the buses that used to use it anyway. Its much, much, much better now that its effectively pedestrianised.

Overall, I think its all quite positive (and I say that as someone who barrels his way into the city center and parks in a loading bay at precisely 7pm directly outside where he wants to be), apart from two things.

The Bachelors Walk thing has to be clarified... I don't see how a dead-end along the North Quays can easily be addressed and not for cars, but for buses.

Also, they HAVE to be strong on banning taxi drivers from College Green. Its another no-brainer to have the bus gate 24hrs... it'll make it easier to police as well. But the taxis have to be removed from there to make it a more pleasant place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Personally I think the thread title should be changed to mention the banning of cars and taxis from certain areas, and the emphasis on PT and pedestrians.

Not criticising the OP, but it might get a lot more attention!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

lxflyer wrote: »
    While I'd broadly approve of the plans, the proposed removal of the left turn from Westmoreland Street onto Aston Quay is a tad worrying.

All of the 25/a/b/x, 26, 39/a, 66/a/b/x, 67/x, 70 and 145 come from Pearse Street, through the bus gate past the garda station, onto College Street and into Westmoreland Street.

In fairness, its been while since I've been on a 39/a that has taken that route. They usually go down Tara street left onto burgh quay And onwards.

thomasj wrote: »
    In fairness, its been while since I've been on a 39/a that has taken that route. They usually go down Tara street left onto burgh quay And onwards.

Yup, most drivers have decided that Tara St-Burgh Quay route is much faster, less traffic lights and more green time, and no need to cross all the way from the east to west side of Westmoreland St.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Yup, most drivers have decided that Tara St-Burgh Quay route is much faster, less traffic lights and more green time, and no need to cross all the way from the east to west side of Westmoreland St.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Have they, or will they have a bus lane on Tara/Burgh Q?

Makes sense. The other West bound routes, Lucan and beyond will surely use this when Luas is running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I think DCC have lost there minds if they think banning cars from Bachelor's Walk is a good idea, that is going to cause chaos. Sure look what happens when there are sit down processes at the O Connel bridge intersection. Won't matter to me I just avoid town like plague.

Advertisement