Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Airbus330 wrote: »
    I certainly don't think the routes are 'tanking'. Why would they bring them all back for the summer season then? These routes all performed extremely well I believe, with some of them even kept on for the winter months. But I think constantly relying on Ryanair to bring new services is not good for the airport and given the fact that Ryanair don't fly to major hubs like AMS or CDG they need to grow the number of airlines operating from the airport if they want to continue to increase traffic.

EI, whilst they constantly put SNN behind the likes of DUB or ORK, at the end of the day you do have to commend them (especially Cristoph Muller) for investing in a/c that suit the Shannon market. They could have just scrapped their services, there is nothing stopping them. But I think if taken over by the IAG Willie Walsh will have no interest in continuing services, European or t/a. He never showed any interest in SNN when he was with EI why would he now?

Well EI main hubs in terms of profit is DUB so SNN will never be put ahead of it and for good reason. ORK I'm sure does very well to with LHR and AMS hubs a major driving force while buck and spade bring in the cash.. Then SNN comes behind and as already stated the market is very peaky and inbound unlike DUB/ORK.

EI will happy drop SNN if profitability goes and that would happen with or without the Governments stake.

AMS with EI is 100% out as KLM limit to 2 code shares per country
    CDG - Point to Point for EI and being tried before
    FRA/MUC - No agreements with EI/LH

Not many left after those. I really can see what airline SNN may attract next, the big euro carriers are all cutting back, loco's will have little interest with FR on their back.

As for IAG they will keep T/A if it brings in the money as if they drop really profitable routes carriers like DL/UA could step it up.

When do SAA release 2014 financial results?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Airbus330

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well EI main hubs in terms of profit is DUB so SNN will never be put ahead of it and for good reason. ORK I'm sure does very well to with LHR and AMS hubs a major driving force while buck and spade bring in the cash.. Then SNN comes behind and as already stated the market is very peaky and inbound unlike DUB/ORK.

EI will happy drop SNN if profitability goes and that would happen with or without the Governments stake.

AMS with EI is 100% out as KLM limit to 2 code shares per country
    CDG - Point to Point for EI and being tried before
    FRA/MUC - No agreements with EI/LH

Not many left after those. I really can see what airline SNN may attract next, the big euro carriers are all cutting back, loco's will have little interest with FR on their back.

As for IAG they will keep T/A if it brings in the money as if they drop really profitable routes carriers like DL/UA could step it up.

Obviously DUB is ahead of SNN, thats not the point but doing things like taking the aircraft from SNN for Dub, and delaying the first LHR departure dosen't show loyalty to customers, so no wonder Ryanair's STN numbers continue to rise. EI's loss is FR's gain. Point is they don't try very hard in SNN, aside from the two 752 they've done very little.

KLM can operate the service themselves, maybe the cityhopper service. Nothing to do with EI.

CDG with EI was awful slot times, which was mentioned earlier allocated by the DAA. Cityjet operated a very successful CDG route after EI ended the LHR service. They had the right sized a/c as well.

FRA/Munich can be operated by Lufthansa themselves (which obviously won't happen just making the point).

Point is they need to expand their airline customer base and stop relying on FR or EI. FR will never fly into the likes of CDG, FRA or AMS so an airline like KLM cityhopper would have no competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

2013 accounts on the website.

2013 accounts are signed off on 26 March 2014 so I would assume the 2014 report is due soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I think KLM have been at the airport before with a view to being wooed to fly in, though if I remember right it was them who produced a picture of the grim reaper at the meeting! there was an article in the paper about it

I think KLM have been at the airport before with a view to being wooed to fly in, though if I remember right it was them who produced a picture of the grim reaper at the meeting! there was an article in the paper about it

O really? Pity, but who knows..! Any link to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Holiday jet makes emergency dash to Shannon Airport after passenger falls ill (Independent)

Thomson Airways flight TOM-1740 was en route from Dublin to Lanzarote earlier today when the crew contacted air traffic controllers at Shannon to request permission to turn around and divert.

The flight was about 200 kilometres south of Cork at around 3.25pm when the crew declared a medical emergency.

The flight had left Dublin at 2.42pm and was about 45 minutes into its journey when the crew issued a Pan Pan distress call confirming they had a patient on board who had collapsed and was unresponsive.

The crew of the Boeing 737-800 opted to divert and land at Shannon despite Cork airport being considerably closer. It's understood the decision was taken to allow the crew burn off aviation fuel to ensure a safe weight for landing.

The pilot requested that emergency medical services be on standby for their arrived shortly after 4.00pm.

Emergency crews at Shannon Airport were also placed on standby for the aircraft's arrival while an ambulance and rapid response advanced paramedic unit from Ennis were mobilised to the airport.

The flight landed safely at 4.05pm and taxied to the terminal here paramedics and a doctor were waiting to board the plane.

The passenger was removed to University Hospital Limerick for treatment while the flight was prepared to continued its journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

I saw that earlier and was wondering when Thomson started flights from Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I saw that earlier and was wondering when Thomson started flights from Shannon

They did several years ago:) just not in the winter and under the brand Falcon.

O really? Pity, but who knows..! Any link to it?

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2011/12/15/power-slams-oleary/

An update on Ryanairs winter schedule.

Now bookable

London Stansted : 14x PW
    London Gatwick 6x PW
    Berlin Schonefeld 2x PW
    Lanzarote 1x PW
    Tenerife 1x PW

Other Airlines with their winter schedules at Shannon

Aer Lingus:

London Heathrow 20x PW
    Boston -7x PW (Nov-Jan)/6x PW (Jan-Mar)
    New York-JFK - 6x PW (Nov-Jan)
    Lanzarote 1x PW.

United:

Newark : 7x PW (Nov-Dec) 6x PW (Dec-Mar)

• Advertisement

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for February.

The overall total UK figures are up +7% as against the same month from last year but Heathrow’s numbers keep on falling.

342162.png

Id say US Airways service to Philadelphia will do well this year. I searched SNN-PHL on the 30th of may and its sold out.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Id say US Airways service to Philadelphia will do well this year. I searched SNN-PHL on the 30th of may and its sold out.

Here's hoping :)

Yeah, LHR numbers continue to fall but yet the STN continue to rise.....

Here's hoping :)

Yeah, LHR numbers continue to fall but yet the STN continue to rise.....

In my opinion its self inflicted. A smaller A319 plane and terrible flight times, its bound to lose a few passengers. On top of that, the cheapest you can get SNN-LHR for is just under €150 return. Compare that with Stansted/gatwicks €40 return.

In my opinion its self inflicted. A smaller A319 plane and terrible flight times, its bound to lose a few passengers. On top of that, the cheapest you can get SNN-LHR for is just under €150 return. Compare that with Stansted/gatwicks €40 return.

It certainly is, I couldn't agree with you more. Shannon used to have something like a 7:30 or 7:45 departure to LHR, it ridiculous. Its obvious the passengers are there, they're timing and pricing is just awful.

It certainly is, I couldn't agree with you more. Shannon used to have something like a 7:30 or 7:45 departure to LHR, it ridiculous. Its obvious the passengers are there, they're timing and pricing is just awful.

Willie Walsh actuallly cited the timing and smaller aircraft as the reason the SNN-LHR route was losing passengers. Hopefully if this takeover goes ahead, Willie may persuade the Aer Lingus boars to switch it back to a morning departure, he may even offer a slot.

Willie Walsh actuallly cited the timing and smaller aircraft as the reason the SNN-LHR route was losing passengers. Hopefully if this takeover goes ahead, Willie may persuade the Aer Lingus boars to switch it back to a morning departure, he may even offer a slot.

O did he? Yeah, a five year guarantee at this point looks like a safe option!

For much of January there were also only 2 LHR flights a day during the week too....

For much of January there were also only 2 LHR flights a day during the week too....

Yeah, the probably gave the other slot to Dublin during that time..

That was Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

• Advertisement

Air Display announced for Shannon Airport (Flying in Ireland) :)

An Air Display will take place on July 18th at Shannon Airport to celebrate the Airports 70th Anniversary. The display schedule is a tightly guarded secret at the moment but we’re hearing rumours there’s an impressive line up. We’ll have more details as they’re announced but you can be sure it’s one for the diary.

Carnacalla wrote:
    That was Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

If there was 3 weeks of 3 less flights a week that was 2500 ish less seats and the drop over last year was only around 1000

Commercial Flying at Shannon International Airport 1946 (Vintage Chic Blog)

A scanned article from Everybody's magazine December 1946.

Amusing little read of the rivalry between American and British airlines at Shannon back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yeah, the probably gave the other slot to Dublin during that time..

DUB gets reduced off season to...simple demand is very low Jan/Feb

All of the winter schedule on Ryanair that was previously loaded but not bookable are now bookable.

Still no sign of Kaunas or Manchester. Thoughts?

All of the winter schedule on Ryanair that was previously loaded but not bookable are now bookable.

Still no sign of Kaunas or Manchester. Thoughts?

I've heard the Manchester route is performing really well so I'd be very surprised to see that go..Haven't heard much on Kaunas though..

Aer Lingus New York flights return early to satisfy St Patrick’s Day demand (Limerick Leader)

Aer Lingus has recommenced services from Shannon to New York a week ahead of schedule to accommodate the huge numbers heading to St Patrick’s Day celebrations across the pond.

The carrier has cited lower winter demand in cutting services between January and March in recent years.

But such was the demand for seats this year that the recommencement of services on the route was brought forward by one week.

According to Niall Maloney, operations director at Shannon: “Aer Lingus has a long legacy of transatlantic services at Shannon and it’s great to see them back this year ahead of schedule on JFK to cater for demand around St Patrick’s Day”.

“Outside of Ireland there are more people of Irish descent in New York than anywhere else in the world and that creates a huge market for services, particularly across the western half of the island with so many people having emigrated from here in the past.

I've heard the Manchester route is performing really well so I'd be very surprised to see that go..Haven't heard much on Kaunas though..

Kaunas was a very well preforming route, so much that it goes to 2x weekly in the summer. The users on PPRuNe seem to think its guaranteed to stay. The Manchester route might fill well, but I'd say it has terrible yields.

If they drop it, it may not be such a bad thing for the airport, as it may entice an airline back to operate MAN as well as other routes.

Kaunas was a very well preforming route, so much that it goes to 2x weekly in the summer. The users on PPRuNe seem to think its guaranteed to stay. The Manchester route might fill well, but I'd say it has terrible yields.

If they drop it, it may not be such a bad thing for the airport, as it may entice an airline back to operate MAN as well as other routes.

O right, didn't know that!

Very true, but I'd say attracting an airline back would prove extremely difficult. Stobart are gone for good I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

If Ryanair leaves the Manchester route, my guess is that Stobart will be back in Shannon, paying a fraction of the fees they used to pay.

Advertisement