Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Comments

I had it from the bottle. Thought there was little to no malt in the flavour.

White Hag will be showcasing their Xmas Ale in Martins Off Licence of Fairview tomorrow evening.

For me White Hag have been the best thing to happen beer wise this year. I haven't yet tried one of their brews I didn't love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

For me White Hag have been the best thing to happen beer wise this year. I haven't yet tried one of their brews I didn't love.

yeah, not a bad beer from them at all.

I'm still to try the porter though, would love to get my hands on some.

I haven't seen that around at all. I find it hard enough to get their full range. Would love to get my hands on their oatmeal stout again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

The Oatmeal Stout (if thats what you mean) is still pouring in Blackbird, Rathmines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I got a bottle of their Irish IPA and was disappointed with it, first one I didn't like. I'd loved the Fleadh Ale and all their beers I tried at the ICBF in the RDS, especially the imperial porter they had.

In better news the Kinnegar black bucket is superb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

First round of the Christmas beers sorted. 2 more special ones and I'm done. Still unsure what to get

m77HG9vl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Almost positive that Drinkstore have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Metalman's can prototype no. 1 is fantastic.
    On tap in Bierhaus, Cork.

I'd buy cans of that.
    Described as a happy hoppy amber ale.

Black's imperial stout on cask is also pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Metalman's can prototype no. 1 is fantastic.
    On tap in Bierhaus, Cork.

I'd buy cans of that.
    Described as a happy hoppy amber ale.

Black's imperial stout on cask is also pretty amazing.

I tried the Metalman during the harvest festival in Waterford and really enjoyed it. Must look out for the cans.

Boont Amber is a nice easygoing ale, with a nice hint of Orange Citrus in the finish, and kind of warming at 6.2%, perfect for a wet and windy evening.

Following it with a To Ol 8 Ball, delicious porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

just made my xmas order with McHugh's, happy days ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

BMJD wrote: »
    just made my xmas order with McHugh's, happy days ahead

You'll just need about 14 wheelie bins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

The last 2 kegs in the country went to Brew Dock. Carryout Tyrellstown had it on the growler station too. The pressure is mounting on them to hold back bottles for the domestic market. Their next core beer for Ireland will be a lower ABV stout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Had Blacks Imperial Stout on cask last night in the Bierhaus. It was amazing. Loads of rich chocolate and coffee flavors and it hid the 7.5% AVB very well. Apparently the batch is going to be aged in barrels for a couple of months before being released in bottles. Something to look forward to next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

:eek::eek::eek:

I need to get myself to the Bierhaus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

:eek::eek::eek:

I need to get myself to the Bierhaus!

Imperial Stout gone :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Smithwicks Blonde! I don't know what to expect. And yet I probably do.

Another Smithwicks?

Jesus, Blondes are bland at the best of times, I can't imagine what that's like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Another Smithwicks?

Jesus, Blondes are bland at the best of times, I can't imagine what that's like.

I'd say it's bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Independent whiskey stout, really enjoying this , a bit expensive at 6.50 for 500ml at 7.0 abv.

• Advertisement

that's not at all expensive for a 7% beer!

jh79 wrote: »
    Independent whiskey stout, really enjoying this , a bit expensive at 6.50 for 500ml at 7.0 abv.

Independent are another strange one. All their beers are quite expensive for Irish beers and it has always put me off trying them. That said, I picked up they Pale Ale this evening in my Drinkstore Christmas order. I tried it at the beer fest and thought it was really nice so I said I'd give it a bash.

Having a bottle of Guinness West Indies Porter. Not bad, but it's quite dry and very gassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Old speckled hen for me tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Smithwicks Blonde! I don't know what to expect. And yet I probably do.

I'm going to guess.....bland....bordering on tasteless

Will hopefully be proven wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

In better news the Kinnegar black bucket is superb!

+100% that beer is awesome!

I think a few bottles need to be purchased to treat myself over Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

jh79 wrote: »

Having one myself. I find the whiskey pretty intense for my liking. Warming it up a tad makes a huge difference though.
    I've Fran well and O'Haras whiskey stouts in the stash so they will all be compared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Stocked up on my Christmas stash in Drinkstore yesterday. Very different to previous years insofar as I only bought one dark beer - the rest were IPAs.
    The dark was Rascal's Chocolate Ginger Porter. Came highly recommended so I figured I should try it.
    Anyway, I now have another "go-to Irish IPA" - White Hag IPA to go with my other staples, namely Full Sail, Sabotage and Blacks KPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

No beer tonight but having some homemade Applejack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd say it's bland.

I bought one. Guess what...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

that's not at all expensive for a 7% beer!

Compared to their 6% pale ale at 3.50-4.00 euro mark i think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I thought the Blacks Stout was good, I wouldn't go so far as to say amazing. It's definitely something I'd happily drink given a choice. The initial flavour is great in it, but it fades away rather quickly. You still get the key tones of the beer remaining but there's no staying power or complexity to the after taste.

I was really impressed by the Metalman prototype. It's a beautifully well balanced beer. It doesn't do anything surprising but what it does do it's great at. It seems like a simple beer but there's plenty of flavour going on. I'd happily drink it all night.

I also had the St Bernardus Christmas Ale on tap in the Abbots. It's awful. Really awful. It tastes musty, it tastes dried out and stale. I've described it to people as tasting of the smell you get when you open the box of a new pair of runners. Some agree, others don't. I had a taste of it again last night just to see if maybe I was having an off night when I had the glass of it. The first sip had me doubting myself, the second confirmed everything I initially thought. If I wanted to be cruel I'd say it's like a combination of Duvel, sour milk and pleather.

Independent are another strange one. All their beers are quite expensive for Irish beers and it has always put me off trying them. That said, I picked up they Pale Ale this evening in my Drinkstore Christmas order. I tried it at the beer fest and thought it was really nice so I said I'd give it a bash.

Having it now. Serious amount of meh from it. Not impressed at all.

And another thing, down through the years I've heard people refer to a wet dog smell that they get from beers the odd time and I've never got what they've been talking about, unfortunately this beer has given me an insight to this smell. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Just had a 7 hop IPA by Rogue as part of my 12 Beers of Xmas . It was delicious.

West Kerry brewery winter ale. Very nice indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Shepherd Neame's Christmas Ale is quite nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

On Friday...

A pint of the Galway Bay Oatmeal IPA 'Goodbye Blue Monday' - I liked it OK.

A sample of Trouble Brewing's 'Hidden Agenda' which I think is their session IPA - brand new. Would need a pint to make my mind up.

A glass of Magic Rock Brewing 'High Wire' a West Coast Pale Ale. More piney than fruity. It was OK, I wouldn't be minded to order another.

I finally got around to trying the Rascals Big Hop Red. I was disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Spending this Christmas with the inlaws and taking a day off work tomorrow to do a beer shop.

My list so far is consisting of
    6 x 500ml bottles Schofferhofe Hefe Weizen
    24 x Rothaus Pils (tannanzapfen)
    24 x Augustiner Hell
    24 x Berliner Kindl
    10 x Sierra Nevada IPA.

Should be a nice Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Spending this Christmas with the inlaws and taking a day off work tomorrow to do a beer shop.

My list so far is consisting of
    6 x 500ml bottles Schofferhofe Hefe Weizen
    24 x Rothaus Pils (tannanzapfen)
    24 x Augustiner Hell
    24 x Berliner Kindl
    10 x Sierra Nevada IPA.

Should be a nice Christmas

That should be just about enough to enjoy a day with the inlaws..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

a bottle of Stormy Port in the black sheep, a whopping €6.60 :pac: they are having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

a bottle of Stormy Port in the black sheep, a whopping €6.60 :pac: they are having a laugh.

That is a joke. Why didn't you get a pint for 5.50 though?

Was in L.Muligans yesterday for dinner and had a few nice beers.

Had a couple of the new one from new Irish Brewery O'Brother, their Red Ale - Beautiful rich malty hoppy red ale. Like 5AM Saint but with less hops and more malt body. Hints of coffee in the background with s bitter finish. Top notch!

Just had a taster of Rascals Kim Jong-un Saison - Nice light but sweet with prominent lemony notes.

Black's Session Ale - Lots of grapefruit hoppiness and a decent body for the low abv. Nice beer for what it is.

BPBP Lupe Garou 6.5% - (Fresh Hopped Ale) Rich chewy malty Pale Ale with a sweet and spicy finish with hints of liquorice. Filling, but very nice. Ridiculously expensive though.

I wanted to get a Growler of the O'Brother beer but they had no Growlers left so I just had another one to tide me over.

Food was top notch as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

That is a joke. Why didn't you get a pint for 5.50 though?

cause they had none left, had one and left to go to my local off licence that does 4 for €11.50 - go figure GBB :confused:

cause they had none left, had one and left to go to my local off licence that does 4 for €11.50 - go figure GBB :confused:

That's a joke if they had none on draft and charged over 1 euro more for the bottle. Crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Picked up a couple of Wicklow Wolf bottles in O"Briens, this is my local brewery and I've met the guys running it so I'd like them to do well.

But neither were anything to write home about; Kentucky Common is a fairly basic brown ale, Locavore has some spiel about locally grown hops on the label but very little actual hop taste or aroma that I noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

Sister got me a pix and mix hamper from McHughs tonight.

Just finished off a Hopbot by Hop City and a Hoptimum. Both very similar. Smooth and easy to drink, considering the high % ABV. Well mellowed out now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

The Wicklow Wolf American Amber is worth a try, especially good on draught and their porter isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I paid €7.50 for a bottle of O'Haras Leann Follain in Harrys on the Green last night. Several times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Independent are another strange one. All their beers are quite expensive for Irish beers and it has always put me off trying them.

For people in Galway: the Independent pale, gold and red ales are €3 each in Centra, Forster Street. That's particularly good value for the pale ale, which is 6% and very good, IMO.

BMJD wrote: »
    I paid €7.50 for a bottle of O'Haras Leann Follain in Harrys on the Green last night. Several times :pac:

That's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement