Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I had Dash Away - chocolate cherry stout from Trouble Brewing today in The Headline. Really enjoyed it - a rich sweet but not sickly stout with plenty of complexity that I thought really benefited from being on draught. I had tried it from the cask in The Black Sheep last week and found it a bit too sweet.

Anybody else slightly disappointed with 8 degrees Imperial Russian this year compared to last year? Its still a lovely beer but it just doesn't quite live up to last year's version - especially in bottle form

I am loving the double Irish tho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

The Full Irish is everything I hoped it would be. Fantastic. I'd never guess the alcohol content ofeeither of these beers.
    Both these 9% beers are selling @€;3.10 a half pint. Amazing value.

Do you mean the Full Irish is 9%? Or is that the Imperial Stout? I had to go check up on the Full Irish being 9%. I had a taste of it last night and it was really nice but I'd be stunned if it was 9% (although it'd explain why the guy drinking it was having a good night.) Eight Degrees are listing it at 6%. A really nice beer though.

Pity about the photo on their site.

Eight-Degrees-Brewing-The-Full-Irish-April-2014-1024x1024.jpg
    (The White Hag website is really good as well.)

And their list of pubs is outdated. The Hub in Cork has it as well. I don't know how much they're charging.

I tried the Guinness West Indies Porter tonight. Not bad, if they used their marketing clout to get this into pubs I'd be a lot happier. To me it tasted like a toned down, subtler Leann Folain. It was a nicely hopped stout rather than some hoppy stouts that are blunt as ****. At €2.60 for 500mls I could see it doing really well at that price point.

I also had a White Hag Oktoberfeast Samhain. It was lovely. I'm not at all familiar with the style but when I finished this I actually went back to the pub for another beer (couldn't get the Samhain) because it was such a pleasurable beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tis the double Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

^^
    Those brewers are in the nip!! :D
    The Double Irish is a fantastic beverage.

you can get the double Irish & Imperial Russian in Molloy's off licenses @ 4 for €11. 330ml bottles. I've been stocking up on them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

8 Degrees have upped their website prices :/

The same order I placed is now €22 more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Looking at the prices there isn't much of a saving

24 amber ella is €59.50 from 8 Degrees.

On Drinkstore it's €64.80, but if you include the 10% Beoir discount, you bring it down to 58.32

you get a beoir discount on 8D also.

My order of 6 cases of beer cost me about 45/46 per case.

Howling Gale
    Hurricane
    Knockmealdown
    Amber
    Russian Imperial
    Full Irish

you get a beoir discount on 8D also.

My order of 6 cases of beer cost me about 45/46 per case.

Howling Gale
    Hurricane
    Knockmealdown
    Amber
    Russian Imperial
    Full Irish

Wasn't sure about 8 degress doing a Beoir discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

matrim wrote: »
    Wasn't sure about 8 degress doing a Beoir discount.

It seems to have ended (in theory)?

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    It seems to have ended (in theory)?

ah right, fair enough.

If that Full Irish was bottled in early december I'm cracking a bottle tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nosietoes wrote: »

Anybody else slightly disappointed with 8 degrees Imperial Russian this year compared to last year? Its still a lovely beer but it just doesn't quite live up to last year's version - especially in bottle form

I am loving the double Irish tho

I thought it was far better this year. Last year I couldn't finish a bottle of it, this year I've had a few glasses on draught.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    Do you mean the Full Irish is 9%? Or is that the Imperial Stout? I had to go check up on the Full Irish being 9%. I had a taste of it last night and it was really nice but I'd be stunned if it was 9% (although it'd explain why the guy drinking it was having a good night.) Eight Degrees are listing it at 6%. A really nice beer though.

I should have said Double Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Heineken probably asked them to up their prices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

recent haul

thornbridge hall heather honey stout
    rogue chocolate stout
    left hand nitro
    founders backwoods bastard
    founders breakfast stout
    brooklyn blast
    raid pilsner
    sierra nevada celebration
    left hand fade to black
    franziskaner hefe
    schneider aventinus
    augustiner
    unertl ursud
    sierra nevada pale ale

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Recent haul :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Wow, jealous

Just opened a Full Irish, it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Picked up a Brooklyn Local 2, was planning on keeping it for Christmas but very tempted to open it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I've been thinking of buying a bottle of it, so go ahead and open it and let me know how it's tasting !

Brooklyn local 1 was one of the first "special" craft beers I tried, had it again recently and was disappointed, was an average triple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Nice one; Big Eye, Sculpin and Fresh Squeezed are as good as you get. Be interested to hear your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have had the ballast point beers before, they're insanely good. Looking forward to having them again. Only problem with all these beers they've to be drank fresh. Going to be a tough Christmas/New Years :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Man, I love Jai Alai! Jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I had a bottle of that Tesco Revisionist IPA last night, wasn't bad at all but at €2.99 a bottle I won't be buying it again anytime soon. It's £1.89 in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

BMJD wrote: »
    I had a bottle of that Tesco Revisionist IPA last night, wasn't bad at all but at €2.99 a bottle I won't be buying it again anytime soon. It's £1.89 in the UK.

Aye, you'd think tesco's own brand would be a bit cheaper than the crafts. Their beer is pretty forgettable and certainly can't compare to the other 3e crafts they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Aye, you'd think tesco's own brand would be a bit cheaper than the crafts. Their beer is pretty forgettable and certainly can't compare to the other 3e crafts they sell.

Yeah i can't believe it's priced the same as more well established (and better) beers. If they priced it at say €2 each or 6 for €10 they'd sell lots of it and still make plenty of profit I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Tonight shall be some of the 4 for 5 euro franziskaner from lidl. Slurp

I had the Wicklow Wolf IPA and Locavore last night. I thought they were both nice and enjoyed them but as others have said the price is on the high side at around €4 a bottle.

As it stands, I wouldn't be rushing back to them unless they drop the price

Thornbridge Raven Black IPA, really good, but I prefer my black IPAs to present at least some of the darker malts used for colour in the flavour profile too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Thornbridge Raven Black IPA, really good, but I prefer my black IPAs to present at least some of the darker malts used for colour in the flavour profile too.

They have this on draught in the Back Page in Phibsboro. I wasn't really a fan - I found it very sweet.

• Advertisement

I had it from the bottle. Thought there was little to no malt in the flavour.

White Hag will be showcasing their Xmas Ale in Martins Off Licence of Fairview tomorrow evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement