Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Titanfall maximum player count set at 6v6

Polygon Link
    Multiplayer matches of Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall will be capped at 12 players, Respawn founder Vince Zampella confirmed via twitter, outlining that the six human players on each team will be joined by AI support.

"6v6 is max player count. Turned out to be the best balance with AI for us," he wrote, responding to a fan's question about the game's player count. "That's humans only count. There are lots of AI, everyone can have a Titan in follow or guard mode too."

Now this is interesting. Is the AI like creep in a MOBA? Will the AI have any impact on the multiplayer immersion?

I know CS is 5v5 and Quakelive CTF is 4v4 etc but these are all in tournament mode, most CS servers have large amounts of players. Why not have it larger and have the community decide on the balance for competitive play? The same questions came out about the quick scoping and user run dedicated servers.

I dunno, I'm not a game designer and also, since this is an EA published release I am not investing any effort/interest until player reviews and reactions convince me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seems small alright but that's compared to BF which I'm told doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

RasTa wrote: »
    Seems small alright but that's compared to BF which I'm told doesn't work.

They all work and have done 64 player well for a number of years on the pc.

To be honest, 6 v 6 seems very weak for a public based fps shooter. With the new gen consoles, this can't be a limitation based off of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nazzu

Well we still do not know if the game will be 720p or 1080p on the Xbox, maybe 6 v 6 is all the game is able to manage onscreen to have the game run smoothly, although if it is only 720p it will be a bit of a kick in the teeth, it looks like EA are betting the house on Titanfall, but will it really bring in CoD and BF player with such a small player limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

To be honest, 6 v 6 seems very weak for a public based fps shooter. With the new gen consoles, this can't be a limitation based off of them.

I think it just the way the game is designed. It's not just 6v6 on a map, it's 12 players, their mech's and then AI bots aswell.

• Advertisement

I think it just the way the game is designed. It's not just 6v6 on a map, it's 12 players, their mech's and then AI bots aswell.

Over the years I've come to realise that I enjoy playing fps multiplayer games because facing up against other people is simply chaotic. The more people, the more the game can surprise you.

A game like TitanFall doesn't need AI to make it good. With Giant Mechs you expect relatively large maps, relatively large maps mean a reasonable amount of players.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of only 6 v 6. Seems like a unnecessary limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Haven't they been harping on about it being some sort of story driven multiplayer game? Could that be a reason to have such small numbers playing at one, so they can direct the action how they want it to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Fairly sure it was 8v8 when it was demoed at EGX. Still, if they can maintain the sheer level of fun I had when playing it there or even improve it by going with 6v6, then I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I didn't even realise there were bots in the game at all lol ! I thought the trailers and **** were just the usual scripted multiplayer stuff. Bit strange that you run around killing bots and players in the same game... wonder if the bots serve as anything more than just filler..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

since this is an EA published release I am not investing any effort/interest until player reviews and reactions convince me otherwise.

This guy gets it. Don't just restrict it to EA though, its a wise strategy for every publisher. A good game is still a good game a week after release, it won't get worse if you don't pre-order.

• Advertisement

As far as Pachter can tell, Titanfall is poised to sell between 6-10 million based on critical reception

Bold prediction, think they will hit it?

http://www.igameresponsibly.com/2014/01/09/michael-pachter-forecasts-titanfall-sales-and-eas-expectations-for-the-title/

Although probably just clickbait from Pachter

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Nazzu

Who Is Developing Titanfall for Xbox 360?
    Which studio did Respawn pick, and why haven't we heard about it yet?
    We are nine weeks away from Titanfall. We have never seen the Xbox 360 version of Microsoft’s flagship Xbox One shooter. We have no idea who is making that version of Respawn’s exciting multiplayer game.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/08/who-is-developing-titanfall-for-xbox-360

Wonder what Studio they went with, still have a lot of friends who have not made the next gen jump.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nazzu wrote: »
    Who Is Developing Titanfall for Xbox 360?
    Which studio did Respawn pick, and why haven't we heard about it yet?

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/08/who-is-developing-titanfall-for-xbox-360

Wonder what Studio they went with, still have a lot of friends who have not made the next gen jump.

My guess is that this is a dictate from Microsoft. Why advertise the game on a console which you want people to migrate off.

As for the 6v6 limit, I'm totally fine with it. The game seems to have been designed to be based around that limit, which means that it'll work.

Apparently, there can be up to 50 combatants on a map, including players and Titans. See polygon here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was going to pre order this but held off, not sure why but I expected .... actually just assumed this would have a single player element must have missed the memo on it being multiplayer only.

I know many who say FPS gmaes like cod and bf don't need the single player part these days, I like to dip in and out of multiplayer content it's not my primary focus unless it's co-op as opposed to competitive. So I think I'll be giving this one a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

calex71 wrote: »
    Was going to pre order this but held off, not sure why but I expected .... actually just assumed this would have a single player element must have missed the memo on it being multiplayer only.

I know many who say FPS gmaes like cod and bf don't need the single player part these days, I like to dip in and out of multiplayer content it's not my primary focus unless it's co-op as opposed to competitive. So I think I'll be giving this one a miss.

Similar to Need for Speed Rivals, I believe Titanfall will primarily be played online but I think you can also switch this off and use an offline mode with addition bots to play the game solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

CatInABox wrote: »
    My guess is that this is a dictate from Microsoft. Why advertise the game on a console which you want people to migrate off.

If that's the case, why bother with a 360 version at all? let it be next-gen exclusive. They must obviously be hoping it sells well on 360 or else they wouldn't be developing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    Game Sales.

There are more Xbox 360 owners than Xbox One owners. Also with a console exclusivity deal on the table selling only to Xbox One customers would have been a deal breaker.

Limited edition controller for people who are into that type of stuff

BeBsJd3CIAEERW6.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Anyone get any emails about the supposed alpha?

http://www.oxm.co.uk/69499/titanfall-xbox-one-alpha-trial-registration-site-goes-live/

I'm kind of suspicious of it myself but boy do I want it to be true(and also for me to get an invite :p)

This could be worked in your favour, might be able to get some Killzone's cheap on adverts

xFKbcSK.jpg

It's Xtra-Vision/HMV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

RasTa wrote: »
    This could be worked in your favour, might be able to get some Killzone's cheap on adverts

xFKbcSK.jpg

It's Xtra-Vision/HMV

and knack !! i doubt they will take those two games though , I have the PS4 myslef , but I will be getting this for the PC.

It is released the same day as dark souls 2 though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dark souls 2 isnt out the same day on pc, so you can play titanfall for (probably) a few weeks until DS2. provided you'd planned DS2 on pc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Otacon wrote: »
    Similar to Need for Speed Rivals, I believe Titanfall will primarily be played online but I think you can also switch this off and use an offline mode with addition bots to play the game solo.

I hope there actually is a story to Titanfall though. NFS rivals was fun for a while, but it was literally just doing the same things over and over with a couple of cut scenes that had no impact on the game.

I thought the PC release of Titanfall was behind the consoles?

dark souls 2 will be on the PS3 for me, I don't have any xbox so titanfall will be on the PC.

Have you not got a controller for the pc ? It'll be so much better if there are any "blighttown" areas in ds2. Having solid frame rates alone is worth the wait imo.

Magill wrote: »
    Have you not got a controller for the pc ? It'll be so much better if there are any "blighttown" areas in ds2. Having solid frame rates alone is worth the wait imo.

ya have a controller, I am in NG+ on dark souls on the PC , I went out and bought the PC version as well just to get the new content earlier !! I have my PC in a back room at the moment, and it's not comfortable as my sitting room for playing games. Plus dark souls 2 will be out on the consoles first , and i don't think i could wait for the PC release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

multiplayer only?....i'm out!

Some of the "Alpha" footage being leaked (Same map etc we've already seen). Looks like it could be fun for a wee while, but i think this video shows one of the things im concerned about with the amount of AI bots in each match. Even just watching it, it feels more like a PVE Serious Sam shooter than an actual competitive multiplayer one. Like he just runs into a house and kills like 10 bots while they all stand there looking at him. I'm guessing they have like a 3/4 second lock-on period... they just look dumb as sh1t.. some of them are oblivious while getting shot in the back etc. I can just see that getting really boring and repetitive after a while.

I had thought the amount of AI was due to it aiming to be more than just a MP/CoD Clone and feeling more "Epic", but the more videos I see the more it looks like CoD with jetpacks and mechs. Maybe its just the map/mode tho. It'll probably be very appealing to the call of duty crowd, so that's certainly not a bad anything for respawn.. just not really expecting it to be universally loved outside of that market.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19v9ni_titanfall-closed-alpha-offscreen_videogames?start=156

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Advertisement