Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Silent Hill - Del Toro and Kojima

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cormac... wrote: »
    I'm more interested in how many of the scares will be scripted/forced and how much of it will be cutscenes.

There's nothing wrong with scripted/forced scares - they simply have to be done correctly. One doesn't need to look far to see how heavily authored games can have remarkably powerful moments and setpieces well beyond what can happen in more freeform titles (although they offer their own sort of memorable, emergent moments) - take the first appearance of Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2 for example. A scripted jump scare is one thing, but there's also an onus on the developer carefully build atmosphere, triggers, associations and much more besides - concepts that are very much still scripted.

There's certainly potential for more dynamic, gameplay driven horror too, but it's a very challenging thing to achieve. I haven't played it so am only basing this on the reviews I've read, but Daylight went for random generation scares, and was deemed by many to be a nearly total failure. Making a player feel weak and vulnerable without it also being majorly frustrating takes great skill (SH Shattered Memories tried it with mixed success). The best scares are painstakingly orchestrated to arrive at the perfect moment, and that can't really be achieved without developers making sure that is the case.

I think the P.T. demo is a good example of a game that has been elegantly designed by its developers, and the player is being forcibly steered in a particular direction and through well-placed setpieces while also being granted enough freedom to work out the secrets at their own pace. That's a solid compromise IMO, and hopefully the final game will expand on that while opening up the design to something more elaborate than an endlessly looping corridor - and hopefully without some of the overly obtuse puzzles and pixel hunting of the demo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Well i played it tonight for the 1st time, literraly couldn't deal with it after 20mins. P.T. demo wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Well i played it tonight for the 1st time, literraly couldn't deal with it after 20mins. P.T. demo wins.

I finished for the third time yesterday. Having done it twice I thought it wouldn't frighten me so I played the whole thing wearing the headset. Fúck me, it was intense.. It adds a completely new level of creepiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

There's nothing wrong with scripted/forced scares - they simply have to be done correctly. One doesn't need to look far to see how heavily authored games can have remarkably powerful moments and setpieces well beyond what can happen in more freeform titles (although they offer their own sort of memorable, emergent moments) - take the first appearance of Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2 for example. A scripted jump scare is one thing, but there's also an onus on the developer carefully build atmosphere, triggers, associations and much more besides - concepts that are very much still scripted.

There's certainly potential for more dynamic, gameplay driven horror too, but it's a very challenging thing to achieve. I haven't played it so am only basing this on the reviews I've read, but Daylight went for random generation scares, and was deemed by many to be a nearly total failure. Making a player feel weak and vulnerable without it also being majorly frustrating takes great skill (SH Shattered Memories tried it with mixed success). The best scares are painstakingly orchestrated to arrive at the perfect moment, and that can't really be achieved without developers making sure that is the case.

I think the P.T. demo is a good example of a game that has been elegantly designed by its developers, and the player is being forcibly steered in a particular direction and through well-placed setpieces while also being granted enough freedom to work out the secrets at their own pace. That's a solid compromise IMO, and hopefully the final game will expand on that while opening up the design to something more elaborate than an endlessly looping corridor - and hopefully without some of the overly obtuse puzzles and pixel hunting of the demo ;)

I agree. The level of design throughout the demo and the purposeful restraint it places on the player, without causing excessive frustration, is to be highly commended. Scripting and setpieces are not enemies when used in the right context as is so brilliantly illustrated here.
    It genuinely makes me smile that a demo set in an L shaped looping corridor has garnered so much intrigue and surprise, alongside huge open world focused output! :)

Around about Loop 7
    so after the dead sink baby, i was nabbed by your one trying to go through the final door, some places online say this is cause of some radio commands but does anyone here have any advice. Once she got me i stopped cause i freaked out, but I want to go back and try finish it, is there a way to avoid her getting you or does it even matter if she gets you

Any help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Around about Loop 7
    so after the dead sink baby, i was nabbed by your one trying to go through the final door, some places online say this is cause of some radio commands but does anyone here have any advice. Once she got me i stopped cause i freaked out, but I want to go back and try finish it, is there a way to avoid her getting you or does it even matter if she gets you

Any help?
    I think she's supposed to get you. It'll just start the next loop.

Penn wrote: »
    I think she's supposed to get you. It'll just start the next loop.

I've been reading up on it now for a while (hour)
    I think it might have been the loop (not sure which one) where she will kill you for "touching the dial" or "looking behind you" or where she randomly kills you for being idle too long, I'm still not 100% if these are both the same loop though

How the **** is anyone of sane mind and body to be expected to play a full game if it's done anywhere near this style, it's extremely unsettling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Around about Loop 7

Any help?

The first time you get a chance to gouge the eye out of the picture of the happy couple don't go through the cellar door. Collect all the pieces of the picture then zoom into it to make sure the pic is full. From then on the ghost can't harm you, but she can still frighten the shít outta you.

Regarding the radio commands, I've finished it three times, each differently. It's so random that you can't finish it the exact same way twice (as far as I know)

Your best bet would be to delete you saved data and start again. Then you can complete the picture first time and needn't worry bout that scary ass bitch...

Hope this helps, though it probably wont....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's the first game that really makes me want a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

SeantheMan wrote: »
    It's the first game that really makes me want a PS4.

It's the first game that's made me wish I hadn't bought one:eek:

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's the first game that's made me wish I hadn't bought one:eek:

I wish i had the balls to play beyond the 7th loop :o and
    getting my neck snapped,
    i could't even watch the video of the scary bit without getting goosebumps

Video

So just found out that this could be a Halloween release...2016!? :eek::D

Also hints of open world gameplay. Makes sense I suppose with the fox engine being used.

God I cant obsess over something that is over 2 years away, so The Evil Within, the stage is yours:)

ripperman wrote: »
    Also hints of open world gameplay.

I always get a bad feeling when i hear this. I dunno, maybe it's just an overambitious game style. It could work as long as the "world" is the size of a town of population 723 :)

Yeah it doesn't fill me with confidence considering its a horror game. Can the level of tension and atmosphere in P.T. possibly be transferred to an open world!? I don't know!?

I wish games would stop bandying around open world like it's the answer to all the worlds problems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Silent Hill always went for the illusion of open world anyway though. It feels like you've got a full town to explore even though really it's a limited sequence of buildings. So I don't think that would make a major shift in the feel of it.

Yes that’s true they did and if they continue with that then that’s absolutely fine. Give me illusion any day of the week, if it’s a horror game we are talking about. Silent Hill in all the games always felt small and isolated to me and yet deep, within its defined map. I want that from a horror game. I want boundaries and the feeling of claustrophobia, the staple of many horror movies and games. That’s why P.T. was extraordinary in my opinion. Less is quite often more. Just because the technology is there to create huge worlds it doesn’t mean it should be done. Use the technology to trap me somewhere and convince me that this small area in which I find myself is the most horrendous place I have ever witnessed instead of bombarding me with a gigantic town or city map.

I hope it has an army base where you can steal rocket launching harrier jets and then call in some mercenary support to swarm a location as you rain sweet death from above

Well. It's the only way to be sure.

I hope it has an army base where you can steal rocket launching harrier jets and then call in some mercenary support to swarm a location as you rain sweet death from above

:D

• Advertisement

"How did you get past the Shakespeare puzzle? Was it a quote from King Lear?"

"Dunno, I drove a tank through it."

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FrancoThetanko

I can't play this for longer than 2mins

Following the shocking news of Kojima productions and Konami what does this mean for the future of Silent Hills? I would be deeply disappointed if it were to be disbanded. Is buying the license an option for Kojima I wonder?

ripperman wrote: »
    Following the shocking news of Kojima productions and Konami what does this mean for the future of Silent Hills? I would be deeply disappointed if it were to be disbanded. Is buying the license an option for Kojima I wonder?

I would guess he can just rename it and make a horror game, as long as he doesn't use any of the recognisable silent hills stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd put money on the project being canned. I'd be very surprised if it's even out of the concept stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Shame if it was canned, loved the mind **** that P.T was, plus have always had a soft spot for horror games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd put money on the project being canned. I'd be very surprised if it's even out of the concept stages.

That would be terrible. The demo garnered so much attention last year. What a wasted opportunity if that does happen. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Confirmed as canned, as feared in posts from a month ago :(

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/04/26/p-t-the-silent-hills-teaser-is-being-removed-from-the-playstation-store/

PT is being removed from PSN in 3 days, so download it now if you haven't played it yet and might want to at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No surprises there. I doubt it was even in development stages or even out of early planning so not a huge loss.still I don't think the market can support a game that can live up to Silent Hill 2 so maybe it's for the best that it's not another jump scare filled Downpour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

What a sickner. PT was such a great horror experience.

Advertisement