Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

did Deep Impact actually go off at 1.10 on the pari-mutuel in the end that year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Yeah, very important to remember that with 2 fancied Japanese horses entered, it would be wise to wait until the day to back any other horse you fancy outside of these 2. In particular, if you fancy a non-Japanese, non-French horse (Taghrooda perhaps) you could get an absolutely silly price on the Pari-Mutuel come Arc day!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Gregory Benoist has chosen to ride Ectot over Avenir Certain in the Arc. Lemaire will ride Avenir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

113 horses to pick from.
    http://www9.france-galop.com/fgweb/domaines/courses/courses_calendrier.aspx

Bounty Owners does not apply in this event and Breeders premiums shall be as follows: 135.000 (1), 54.000 (2nd), 2 7000 (3rd), 13.500 (4th), 6.250 (5th). For stallions and mares 3 years old and above. Weight: 3 year s, 56 k. ; 4 years and above, 59 k.1 / 2. Payment to the chicken owners: 7,200 to engagement on May 14 or 120,000 to the commitment on Oct. 2. Initial package: Tuesday 30 September to November h.30. The race will be preceded by a parade. A work of art will be available to the owner and a souvenir to the coach, the jockey, the rider training and the breeder of the winning horse. Maximum 20 runners. The number of starters will be reduced by eliminating horses which the service of handicappers FRANCE GALOP either assigned the lowest Handicap values.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

diomed wrote: »
    113 horses to pick from.
    http://www9.france-galop.com/fgweb/domaines/courses/courses_calendrier.aspx

Bounty Owners does not apply in this event and Breeders premiums shall be as follows: 135.000 (1), 54.000 (2nd), 2 7000 (3rd), 13.500 (4th), 6.250 (5th). For stallions and mares 3 years old and above. Weight: 3 year s, 56 k. ; 4 years and above, 59 k.1 / 2. Payment to the chicken owners: 7,200 to engagement on May 14 or 120,000 to the commitment on Oct. 2. Initial package: Tuesday 30 September to November h.30. The race will be preceded by a parade. A work of art will be available to the owner and a souvenir to the coach, the jockey, the rider training and the breeder of the winning horse. Maximum 20 runners. The number of starters will be reduced by eliminating horses which the service of handicappers FRANCE GALOP either assigned the lowest Handicap values.

Makes sense I suppose. Sure, who else would ya make the payment to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

did Deep Impact actually go off at 1.10 on the pari-mutuel in the end that year?

I think it worked out that you could have backed every other horse in the race on the PMU that year and still guaranteed a profit once Deep Imact didn't win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

yes, I was there, there were thousands of Japanese literally shoving wads of 100 euro notes in over the counter

Deep Impact; El Condor Pasa; Orfevre; Nakayama Festa; Hiruno D'Amour; Manhattan Cafe; Meisho Samson; Victoire Pisa; Aventino.

Is 2014 the year they win? If they do it might start a Japanese invasion of European Group races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Deep Impact; El Condor Pasa; Orfevre; Nakayama Festa; Hiruno D'Amour; Manhattan Cafe; Meisho Samson; Victoire Pisa; Aventino.

Is 2014 the year they win? If they do it might start a Japanese invasion of European Group races.

Doubtful it will cause an invasion. Price money in europe besides the arc is a long way behind japanese racing. If just the way stays it wins.

Aob has two runners left in the arc. The best horse he ever trained is too good for the arc apparently. The stakes system in europe has racing ****ed . Its like boxing with none of the top contenders competing against each other. Kingman retiring another one . Basically a load of flat track bullies. You have to admire the Japanese sending over there best and having a go .

• Advertisement

Aob has two runners left in the arc. The best horse he ever trained is too good for the arc apparently. The stakes system in europe has racing ****ed . Its like boxing with none of the top contenders competing against each other. Kingman retiring another one . Basically a load of flat track bullies. You have to admire the Japanese sending over there best and having a go .

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Leaning towards Just A Way at the moment but hate backing horses who are unproven at the trip.

Dunno has it been mentioned already but William Buick has picked up the ride on Ivanhowe.

It's not a huge surprise though. The Ballydoyle team seemed to indicate that they'd be concentrating on 10 furlong races for Australia after he won The Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

More I look at the field the more Ruler Of The World jumps out at me. Im a huge fan of Treve but I dont think she is anywhere near the level she was last season. She would blitz these if she was.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    More I look at the field the more Ruler Of The World jumps out at me. Im a huge fan of Treve but I dont think she is anywhere near the level she was last season. She would blitz these if she was.

It would be a poor enough Arc if Ruler Of The World was good enough to win it. The stats are always favourable towards French-trained 3yo's. I started following this blindly about 20 years ago and I've been rewarded plenty of times. Ectot is the one who stands out for me.

Ectot is the one who stands out for me.

I don't like how close Adelaide got to him the last time out, and Adelaide got an absolute shocker of a ride that day from Moore.

Just noticing Chicquita has been left in by O Brien. Can't believe she is as big as 33/1. Ran an absolute blinder behind Tarfasha on her reappearance after 14 months off the course and over a trip that would of been a shade on the sharp side for her. This filly is a bit special, every time she ran last year she was green, and still managed to win an Oaks and would of got closer to Treve in the French Oaks only for veering across the track and running extremely green. The type of filly to improve at 4 and by Montjeu she will relish the 1m4f. She could lack the experience but shes the one I will be backing each way at huge odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Just noticing Chicquita has been left in by O Brien. Can't believe she is as big as 33/1. Ran an absolute blinder behind Tarfasha on her reappearance after 14 months off the course and over a trip that would of been a shade on the sharp side for her. This filly is a bit special, every time she ran last year she was green, and still managed to win an Oaks and would of got closer to Treve in the French Oaks only for veering across the track and running extremely green. The type of filly to improve at 4 and by Montjeu she will relish the 1m4f. She could lack the experience but shes the one I will be backing each way at huge odds.

She wouldn't have gotten near Treve. Ectot wasn't ridden out to the line the jockey is thumping the air before he reaches the post and the colt hasn't ran since April. Look at the move in the straight where he breezes by them all. They were all flattered by the proximity to him, not sure if it was lack or fitness or the concerning one, that he might not fully get the trip. He will be exposed on Sunday if the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Ryan Moore left in the weighing room for the Arc. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Ryan Moore left in the weighing room for the Arc. Bizarre.

He rides Tapestry according to RP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Treve 10/1, wow!

Won't we all look dumb if she reproduces last year's run!! And we're not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Cute enough by Ballydoyle, no way was Moore ever going to be left on the sidelines. Tapestry a rabbit from the hat but has obviously been planned. At 120k to supplement it'd want to be..

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Cute enough by Ballydoyle, no way was Moore ever going to be left on the sidelines. Tapestry a rabbit from the hat but has obviously been planned. At 120k to supplement it'd want to be..
    Maybe she could be placed or win but o briens record would not breed confidence. About two horses placed from a lot of runners. The arc is a different kettle of fish from the irish and english derby but i think his runners this year have a chance of a place at best.

Maybe she could be placed or win but o briens record would not breed confidence. About two horses placed from a lot of runners. The arc is a different kettle of fish from the irish and english derby but i think his runners this year have a chance of a place at best.

She wouldn't have gotten near Treve.

I disagree. Look at the race again. Treve had a good 3 lengths on Chicquita when they kicked for home. The filly was an absolute monkey in the race, flashing her tail and veering back and forth slightly and finished under a hands and heel ride. Not saying she would of beat her, but she wouldn't of been far off and Chicquita is the type to improve at 4 whereas there is big question marks over Treve.

I will post my tip when the money is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I will post my tip when the money is down.

Lol, You expecting a Tony Martin style gamble on Arc Day? Maybe there's a Chinese Tony out there ready to unleash the plot of all plots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Lol, You expecting a Tony Martin style gamble on Arc Day? Maybe there's a Chinese Tony out there ready to unleash the plot of all plots

Didn't you know Diomed's money always shifts the market on Arc day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Fingers crossed there might be some inside info posted in the tips thread yet

• Advertisement

Don McClean tipped Harp Star on Newstalk tonight, for what it's worth. He then sang a verse of American Pie.

Advertisement