Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman killed, 7 injured in garda chase outside Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Did I read correctly that the occupants of the polo where aged between 13 and 33?That don't sit right,no matter which way you look it.The guards have been quite public about ongoing operations against organised burglary gangs using the main roads out of Dublin,and have indeed had some success in that regard,but I've lost count how many fatalities I remember from police pursuits in this country.Baldonnel is about a 5min chopper ride away,the air support unit should have been scrambled,the boys in pursuit would have pulled back,and and let other units further ahead block the off ramps or deploy those stinger things.They were on a motorway,so they had these scumbags contained to a certain extent,with some coordination from the air this tragedy might have been avoided.God love the poor woman and her family,and hopefully a swift recovery for the two cops

Does the air support helicopter have nightflying and all weather capability?
    Does it have "skyshout" loudspeakers , thermal cameras and powerful searchlights?
    If it isn't kitted out with these facilities it would be next to useless in a nighttime emergency.
    Peanuts and monkeys?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

And yet again people screaming for more gardai: There are too many gardai and they are in the wrong places. What if there had been no garda car there to chase the lot for passing a toll barrier without paying? There would not have been a victim.
    A simple photo camera in place would have been enough to catch up with the non paying lot later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

The leader of that gang in the Polo should get the death penalty and the sooner it is brought back the better it will be for this country and it's people.

The other four of them should get long sentences of hard labour and no televisions in the cells with them.

Deepest sympathy to the family of the unfortunate innocent victim, and also to the Gardai involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

RoboRat wrote: »
    Murder: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Unlawful: yes
    Killing: yes
    Premeditated: debatable but if you drive into somebody at a high speed using your car as a weapon then IMO, thats premeditated.

Will they get charged for it, no. My point was that they should get charged for it.

Legally, they'll be charged with dangerous driving causing death with a possibility of a 10 year sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anita M. wrote: »
    And yet again people screaming for more gardai: There are too many gardai and they are in the wrong places. What if there had been no garda car there to chase the lot for passing a toll barrier without paying? There would not have been a victim.
    A simple photo camera in place would have been enough to catch up with the non paying lot later.

Read the thread and related articles. They crashed through a toll barrier and are suspects in house thefts. I don't think paying their toll charges was much of a worry to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Basterds, rip. Poor woman's family. I hope those scumbags get locked up for 20 years.

However I would like to know why it's seen as a necessity to chase youths on a busy motorway. Is not far more convenient to just follow them with a chopper of sorts to avoid what happened.

It's also like to know if the garda who stopped them were qualified to pursue at high speed s

Your assumption is that the youths are only going from A to B. They generally tend to be joy riding, which means they are going to be a danger either way. They head out the motorways, steal a car and joyride it back to areas like Cherry Orchard where they proceed to drive the **** out of them in green areas and housing estates until they crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is always someone "unfortunate" when an incident like this happens, that get the book thrown at them to deter others in future, this should be that incident, hit them with every charge possible, there are levels of scum, release some other lesser scum bag down the chain earlier to free up the space if needs be!

There is often talk of we need the kids to be tomorrows taxpayers, imagine the net gain to society if non of the scum had walked from that Polo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Before or after they torched the stolen car?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Of course you're not a sheep.
    You're a very special and unique little snowflake who's able to come up with loads of 'theories' based on practically no information what-so-ever.

Oh! what theory did I come up with?

Said on Newstalk the occupants of the Polo are travellers.

Makes no difference whether they are Travellers, Settled, Settled Travellers or or mixture of everything.

They are scum through and through. More than likely dragged up by parental scum who passed on their habits to them, just as they were passing them on to the 13 year old in the car.

FFS What kind of cretinous arseholes bring a child on a burglary spree? Absolute pure and utter scum.

They should be done for child neglect as well as manslaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Not... quite.... sure.... what... to.... say....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Legally, they'll be charged with dangerous driving causing death with a possibility of a 10 year sentence

the sentence for that offence should be changed to at least 25years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lapin wrote: »

FFS What kind of cretinous arseholes bring a child on a burglary?

The kind that need a small body to get through a small window in order to open the back door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

endacl wrote: »
    The kind that need a small body to get through a small window in order to open the back door.

It also acts like an apprenticeship. They learn how to hotwire cars, fish keys through the letterbox and how to pick a good mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I am so enraged reading this. Throw the book at these c unts. Thoughts with the family of this lady

endacl wrote: »

Yes I know. My question was more of an attack at the mindset of these scumbags rather than their actual use of children to commit crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

If they had robbed your house you'd be singing a different tune, pathetic post! RIP to the woman who died and thoughts are with her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Pavee Point have released a statement condemning the behaviour of these people and saying that actions like this will only further the discrimination that members of the travelling community are subjected to

lol of course they haven't. you settled people are just racist for criticising them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Hitchens wrote: »
    The leader of that gang in the Polo should get the death penalty

for what. that would effectively condone the crime it would be implemented for.
    the sooner it is brought back the better it will be for this country and it's people.

yeah. say its wrong to take a life by taking a life and being a hypocritical murderer. it would bring this country back to the dark ages like the ferrel vermin states in america and other dumps that still have it. its not coming back, get over it and move on.
    The other four of them should get long sentences of hard labour.

there is no hard labour in this country and never will be.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there is always someone "unfortunate" when an incident like this happens, that get the book thrown at them to deter others in future, this should be that incident

the days of things being done to "deter others in future" never existed, only in the minds of the deluded and the "look were doing something aren't we great brigade" . if one doesn't know something is wrong in the first place they aren't going to realize it ever. simple punishment is the only way, the deterrent factor will not exist any more.
    hit them with every charge possible

can't be done. they can only charge them with the crime commited and can only do so if they have enough evidence to prove it

there are levels of scum, release some other lesser scum bag down the chain earlier to free up the space if needs be!
    imagine the net gain to society if non of the scum had walked from that Polo!

that statement says to me your okay with this womans death. by condoning these people being killed in the polo had they been that condones all death

• Advertisement

Pavee Point have released a statement condemning the behaviour of these people and saying that actions like this will only further the discrimination that members of the travelling community are subjected to

lol of course they haven't. you settled people are just racist for criticising them

its well known there are very few who criticise travelers for genuine reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

that statement says to me your okay with this womans death. by condoning these people being killed in the polo had they been that condones all death

Really? That statement didn't say that to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Does the air support helicopter have nightflying and all weather capability?
    Does it have "skyshout" loudspeakers , thermal cameras and powerful searchlights?
    If it isn't kitted out with these facilities it would be next to useless in a nighttime emergency.
    Peanuts and monkeys?

they definitely have the thermal cameras and the large spotlight,I'm not sure about the speaker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It does look like an unfortunate case of the wrong place at the wrong time. Its obvious the occupants of the Polo were up to no good but I'm not clear why the guards performed this manoeuvre at such a dangerous location.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

they definitely have the thermal cameras and the large spotlight,I'm not sure about the speaker though.

Doesn't have a speaker .

Been I'm fairly near to Baldonell I haven't seen or heard the Garda helicopter in the last week ,
    I wouldn't be at all surprised it was under going maintenance.

As for supposed garda boxing in I doubt It actually happened at all it was mentioned in one news article last night .
    But not been mentioned in the majority of reports since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Is it? I would say most people are criticising them based on their own past experiences with them. Are they not genuine reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well I guess it's got to be true if you wrote it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You're right!
    Travellers are dotes ... the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Red Cloud

An unspeakable evil ends Diana Hartens life at 8.30am and by 5pm she is last item on RTE Drivetime news headlines.
    RTE have proven that by adding to the normalisation of murder, far from shining a light on societies evils, they are part of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Red Cloud wrote: »
    An unspeakable evil ends Diana Hartens life at 8.30am and by 5pm she is last item on RTE Drivetime news headlines.
    RTE have proven that by adding to the normalisation of murder, far from shining a light on societies evils, they are part of the problem.

It happened at 9 last night.

Advertisement