Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Haven't been up there in a while but that was arabica before it was Mr waffle and i don't think it changed ownership so new franchise probably just want working

There's a now-vacant unit in Middle St which has been used to try out a number of franchise style brands over the last few years, including both Arabica and Mr Waffle.

I have no links to prove it, but would bet my hat that they're both brands operated by the same company.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

There's a now-vacant unit in Middle St which has been used to try out a number of franchise style brands over the last few years, including both Arabica and Mr Waffle.

I have no links to prove it, but would bet my hat that they're both brands operated by the same company.

They are, same guy owns both, same staff are working there, seems to be pretty much the same coffee too (which is delicious btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

New butcher shop opening in Briarhill shopping centre where pet shop used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

New butcher shop opening in Briarhill shopping centre where pet shop used to be.

I hope they the pet shop removed all of their stock first

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I hope they the pet shop removed all of their stock first

Yeah, they sent it to a nice happy home in the country ...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That Roma takeaway on Sea Road where Godfathers/Pizza Hut was seems to have shut up shop already, a shame for them if it only lasted a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Links234 wrote: »
    That Roma takeaway on Sea Road where Godfathers/Pizza Hut was seems to have shut up shop already, a shame for them if it only lasted a couple of weeks

I don't understand the logic of opening a standard 'run of the mill' take away like that when there are better and more established places just a couple of hundred metres away. I tried the chips in there one night and wasn't that impressed. Bad business decision IMO. Still lamenting the loss of La Fine Bouche :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJpedro

I bought a takeaway cod in Roma Takeaway for €5.80 which seemed reasonable, however when I went home , I saw that fish was overcooked , batter was very hard etc. Its a pity as I like to help new business if they offer value . Also I noticed that the boss seemed to spend most of his time sitting in the car outside the takeaway watching the shop,maybe he should be inside more often, they were hoping to do well with the Jesuit students during their breaks but there is fierce competition on that street .

Its a gamble to open up a takeaway these days.

Note: Two doors away, you have Kia who just won best restaurant in Ireland, Sometimes there are people waiting to go in due to place being full , They offer good service and quality. Everyone talks about it. There is nice picture in Galway Advertiser of owners getting their
    award.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JJpedro wrote: »
    Its a gamble to open up a takeaway these days.

I don't think it's much to do with takeaways specifically myself. You have to think your business idea through and weigh up all these things. Walking right into a head on battle with established names within a stones throw might not be all that wise, especially if you're not doing anything out of the ordinary or particularly good.

I'm a regular patron of Kai, but come on, you're comparing apples and oranges there, a takeaway offering burgers and chips late at night clearly has a different customer base than Kai. I'd certainly say that with Vinny's and Costello's just a stone's throw from it, they've shot themselves in the foot, but it's just a shame to see something pop up and then disappear almost instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I want Iceland to open a store in Galway asap. They are currently expanding nationwide.
    How do I convince them they must simply come to Galway immediately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

snubbleste wrote: »
    I want Iceland to open a store in Galway asap. They are currently expanding nationwide.
    How do I convince them they must simply come to Galway immediately?

Start a facebook campaign: Iceland for Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

There's a new shop close to Aldi Westside. Right next to Aroma Foods
    It's called Foodland and has a sign outside: Now open!

Didn't get to have a look as they don't open until 10 and I wasn't curios enough to hang around.
    Had a quick Google session and it seems to be a Polish Food Store.
    http://www.foodland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There's a Foodland on the Tuam Road.

I buy stuff there regularly, good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There's a new shop close to Aldi Westside. Right next to Aroma Foods
    It's called Foodland and has a sign outside: Now open!

Didn't get to have a look as they don't open until 10 and I wasn't curios enough to hang around.
    Had a quick Google session and it seems to be a Polish Food Store.
    http://www.foodland.ie/
    There's a Foodland on the Tuam Road.

I buy stuff there regularly, good value.

I noticed that they opened up in doughiska as well

Sign in the window of the former Padraig's Place says it's re-opening on 7 November.

I have it on the best authority that it's been taken by the people who have Quay St kitchen. And that the plan, initially anyway, is for it to be a cafe / restaurant / wine-bar - both upstairs and down.

Don't know what name / brand they're using for it as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Has there been any update on Townhouse?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they're gone for good. Well that's wholly disheartening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Timmyctc wrote: »

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they're gone for good. Well that's wholly disheartening :(

Ideal location for a Wetherspoons.

A lot of renovation work been going on in the former Cuba premises the last cupla weeks.

A lot of renovation work been going on in the former Cuba premises the last cupla weeks.

pls no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

pls no.

Have you seen their drink prices? Bit of competition in Galway would be very welcome

• Advertisement

A wetherspoons would be a very, very welcome thing indeed. ;)

Have you seen their drink prices? Bit of competition in Galway would be very welcome
    Links234 wrote: »
    A wetherspoons would be a very, very welcome thing indeed. ;)

Just not in the Townhouse. Wetherspoons will be a very messy affair for the initial few months in Galway. Stick it up by Cuba till the masses get to terms with reasonable drink offers :pac:

Just not in the Townhouse. Wetherspoons will be a very messy affair for the initial few months in Galway. Stick it up by Cuba till the masses get to terms with reasonable drink offers :pac:

That has been a failure since Bazaar left many moons ago, Wethespoons offer great value and good range of craft beers, their Dublin offering hasnt had any of the supposed messiness you refer too yet. Galways range of craft pubs is limited and prices are devoid of value compared to other locations.

That has been a failure since Bazaar left many moons ago, Wethespoons offer great value and good range of craft beers, their Dublin offering hasnt had any of the supposed messiness you refer too yet. Galways range of craft pubs is limited and prices are devoid of value compared to other locations.

Townhouse was really good up until the flooding. Especially during the summers. Great outdoor gigs. I dunno. Spoons in Derry is fairly messy. Its the only one I've ever been to. Not that I wouldnt want a Spoons in Galway, just don't think it would fit in where Townhouse was/is.

I think that's what you call a contradiction in terms.

I think that's what you call a contradiction in terms.

It would be those who dont enjoy good value craft beer, for the urine swilling masses your point may hold.

It would be those who dont enjoy good value craft beer, for the urine swilling masses your point may hold.

Ah I knew it wouldn't take long for that latent snobbery to come out ;) We'll leave it at that so.

Ah I knew it wouldn't take long for that latent snobbery to come out ;) We'll leave it at that so.

A matter of taste really isnt it.

Snobbery you said was it, i'll just leave that above then. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

For sale at the minute, via Morrisseys. good location but risk of flooding may deter some bidders

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement