Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share something you like/find interesting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

syncosised wrote: »
    If you're using a wireless connection and browsing with either Chrome or Firefox, go to Google Maps. Click the dot above the yellow Street View man. It's scarily accurate! How anonymous do you feel now?

:eek:

Mine located me to be just up my road. Bloody hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

If you're using a wireless connection and browsing with either Chrome or Firefox, go to Google Maps. Click the dot above the yellow Street View man. It's scarily accurate! How anonymous do you feel now?

Wow, it exactly located my house! It was just a few meters short of my room. Scary stuff indeed, but also awesome! I have no idea how they did it with that kind of accuracy, that's immensely clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Fucking hell, it didn't just get my street, it got my actual apartment complex. Scary thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This has been freaking me out since 2009 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I'm untraceable, yay for ruralness :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Ohmygod.
    It found me.
    I live in the middle of nowhere.
    Literally. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I just got a pop up saying "www.google.com wants to know your location [Share Location] [Don't Share]". The wilderness ftw. \o/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

"Your location could not be determined."
    I wouldnt mind but Im not that much in the backarse of nowhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I got that too deise. I may be in wicklow, but I'm far from the backárse of nowhere. The dart goes here like, we can't be boggers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Wow.

...maybe it belongs in the "hilarious videos" thread but I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

That's mad. I live in the middle of nowhere and it still pinpointed my exact location! Scary but brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Apparently I'm sitting in the tree across the road from my house..... FAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

I forgot I did this ages ago. It's called FutureMe.org. It's basically sending an email to yourself, except you're sending it to your future self(like in 5/10/20 years or next month, whenever you want!) You just put in your email address, type whatever you want to send(like what's going on atm, stuff you may want to remember in the future etc.) and what date you'd like to recieve it. I thought it was pretty cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Google maps cannot locate me \o/.

I assume it works for mobile internet moreso than real internet.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'm on DSL and it got me within 10 meters of my home. Very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

It has me in the house across the road now. It also has the numbers on the wrong side of the road, so if I'm going by numbers they have it right.

An absolutely STUNNING piece of art work from our top Irish Vega player, and my own personal nemesis, Ken B. Give him a bit of praise for this, it's pretty mindblowing... You need to see the scale of this thing in the post

66ba51c1cc84fea77feb404d61291876.jpg?v=270000

Don't thank this post, thank his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

This is why I love the internet;

One video caused war on the internet,it's a weird social phenomenom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

http://www.truththeory.org/

Really cool site with lots of interesting documentaries, for free! This site is a great place to waste time on :)

This is why I love the internet;

One video caused war on the internet,it's a weird social phenomenom

It's mainly funny because now her life is ruined forever by the ever watching eye that is big /b/rother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Sergei Larenkov's photography- he's 'shopped Russian War photos with those of the present day to create a really cool effect.

0005x5cq

EDIT: apologies for my major thread-breakage

firstcontactalien.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Awesome 10min video following 2 American dancers who went to the World Irish Dance Championships in Glasgow this year. The dancing is VERY impressive - watch it even if you know nothing about Irish Dancing :)

Aaaaaaand a short look at the World Championships in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Came across http://givingpledge.org/ in the Times today.

It's a movement started by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to get the wealthiest people in America to give the majority of their money to charity during their lifetime or when they die. Buffet is donating 99% of his $47 billion fortune when he dies.
    Pierre and Pam Omidyar, whose fortune from eBay, the auction website, is estimated at $US5.2bn, wrote in their Giving Pledge letter: "We have more money than our family will ever need. There's no need to hold on to it when it can be put to use today."

They're hoping that by making it so public, they'll pressure other billionaires into following suit. Peer pressure ftw!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Came across http://givingpledge.org/ in the Times today.

It's a movement started by Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to get the wealthiest people in America to give the majority of their money to charity during their lifetime or when they die. Buffet is donating 99% of his $47 billion fortune when he dies.

They're hoping that by making it so public, they'll pressure other billionaires into following suit. Peer pressure ftw!
    I saw somewhere Bill Gates will only leaves 0.01% of his wealth to his kids[it's still a good 20-30 million each] and the rest goes to his charity foundation.He's worth ~60 billion dollars.
    I know it's not really the point but if a few [maybe like 5] of the billionaires on that list died,they would actually effect the global economy with the amount of money that would flood those countries.That's a crazy amount of influence in only a handful of people

I saw somewhere Bill Gates will only leaves 0.01% of his wealth to his kids[it's still a good 20-30 million each] and the rest goes to his charity foundation.He's worth ~60 billion dollars.
    I know it's not really the point but if a few [maybe like 5] of the billionaires on that list died,they would actually effect the global economy with the amount of money that would flood those countries.That's a crazy amount of influence in only a handful of people

Indeed, Bill Gates personally has more money than many of the poorest countries combined. It's odd to think that if he died, and the money was put to good use (which may not happen due to corruption/bureaucracy) it in theory has the potential to feed an entire country for quite a substantial length of time (hell you could probably feed Ireland for a year on that :P).
    I mean realistically it would be better spent invented in education, infrastructure and farming equipment/training and the like rather than just on food (hopefully), but still.

Well Irish GNP is around 150 billion dollars[its the standard unit] and only about 10% of that is from the agri-food sector[which is basically all food] so 50 billion would feed ireland for about 6 years (we export most of our food production) holy crap,his fridge must be like narnia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Well Irish GNP is around 150 billion dollars[its the standard unit] and only about 10% of that is from the agri-food sector[which is basically all food] so 50 billion would feed ireland for about 6 years (we export most of our food production) holy crap,his fridge must be like narnia

I'd imagine the majority of our food comes from imports, just like everything else in this country...

This is the highest level SF play Ireland has to offer. My good friend Terry (AnimaX, one of pyggy's tutors!) goes up against "Irish Cammy" one of the top 16 players in Europe, Cobelcog in the grand final of Ireland's 11th National Ranking SF4 Tourney. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd reactions make this. Check it out!

If you don't want to watch it all, just skip to 7.00 to see why I am in love with the fighting game community.

And in case anyone cares, I got top 8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

D4RK ONION wrote: »

If you don't want to watch it all, just skip to 7.00 to see why I am in love with the fighting game community.

Because they cheer? :p

• Advertisement

He takes the match with an anti-air Ultra, and only barely manages to make it juggle. If you'd seen the crowd, you'd swear we'd just won the lotto. (people rarely want Cobelcog to win). Go to about 6.40 actually, Cobelcog thinks he has it and taunts, then that happens. Maybe you just had to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

He takes the match with an anti-air Ultra, and only barely manages to make it juggle. If you'd seen the crowd, you'd swear we'd just won the lotto. (people rarely want Cobelcog to win). Go to about 6.40 actually, Cobelcog thinks he has it and taunts, then that happens. Maybe you just had to be there.

Nah, I was just kidding. I get what you mean. There's a great atmosphere and a sense of unity, with people on the edges of their seats as they will on whoever it is they want to win. :)

And in case anyone cares, I got top 8 :)
    There's nothing quite like a gamer moment where everyone is so excited about it.My favourite MTG one:

to sum it up,the guy on the left only had 1 card in a 60 card deck that could get him out of the situation,he had no cards in hand.He put out the costs of the one card and flips it straight out of his deck,explosive cheering worldwide followed.

Most of you probably won't get it,but it always makes me smile
    (kev back me up here,topdeck of the century)

I sort of get what's going on, I have had brief exposure to MtG. The Fighting Game Equivalent is the video I posted last night and screw it imma post it again. Makes me shiver everytime I see it.

Much the same as yours Ginja's, Daigo (Ken) is down to chip damage, blocking a move will kill him and lose him the tourney. Justin (Chun) gets greedy and goes for the super, but Daigo parrys every hit (so SO difficult) and takes him out. Crowd screams, history is made. Full match if you want to see it.

I'm far from competent when it comes to street fighter but:

HOLY SH!T!!
    That's at least 12 consecutive parrys z'oh my goodness!

It is something Justin has yet to live down :P They're still rivals in a big way in SSF4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

El Mac, a graffiti artist;

el_mac_retna_reyes_finished-wall.jpgestevan_mac_retna_web.jpg

I also love Juxtapoz magazine, any tattoo magazines, and well, basically anything arty... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Gonna be a meteor shower on thursday night .... Can't wait! Possible to see a good few wednesday night too!! :D

• Advertisement

Gonna be a meteor shower on thursday night .... Can't wait! Possible to see a good few wednesday night too!! :D
    I'm hoping to be out of a light pollution area by then. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be out of a light pollution area by then. \o/
    My area isn't too light polluted , but I plan on going to a nearby park and lying on the grass on top of a hill for the night :D I really hope it lives up to my expectations!!

My area isn't too light polluted , but I plan on going to a nearby park and lying on the grass on top of a hill for the night :D I really hope it lives up to my expectations!!
    Where I am now, the sky has a lovely orange tingle :rolleyes:

I was googling rabbit tails there, as ya do, and came across this picture:

japanesebobtail1.jpg

Isn't it fantastic? It looks like the cover of the cat's autobiography, "My Nine Lives". I can't stop looking at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

^^^ If only it was a kitler (cat hitler) and then it could be the cover of Meow Kampf....

/runs away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Rabbit tails?

• Advertisement

^^^ If only it was a kitler (cat hitler) and then it could be the cover of Meow Kampf....

/runs away

That was even worse than my one, kudos to you!
    Rabbit tails?

Yes. Rabbit tails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

http://www.giannyl.com/

Ok so I've never actually made anything from here but I have plans. She makes everything look so easy!

(dude has the coolest voice ever)
    Commercial Break: Road-Runner, Uneasy

If I didn't know better I'd say
    the sun never moved ever,

that somebody just pasted it there
    and said the hell with it,

but that's impossible.
    After awhile you have to give up

those conspiracy theories.
    I get the big picture. I mean,

how big can the picture be?
    I actually think it's kind of funny —

that damn coyote always scheming,
    always licking his skinny chops

and me, pure speed, the object of all
    his hunger, the everything he needs —

talk about impossible, talk about
    the grass is always greener...

I am the other side of the fence.

You've got to wonder, at least a little,
    if this could be a set-up:

with all the running I do —
    the desert, the canyons, the hillsides, the desert —

all this open road has got to
    lead somewhere else. I mean,

that's what freedom's all about, right?
    Ending up where you want to be.

I used to think it was funny — Roadrunner
    the coyote's after you Roadrunner...

Now I'm mainly tired. Not that
    you'd ever know. I mean

I can still make the horizon
    in two shakes of a snake's tongue,

but it never gets easier out here, alone
    with Mr. Big Teeth and his ACME supplies:

leg muscle vitamins, tiger traps,
    instant tornado seeds.

C'mon! I'm no tiger.
    And who's making all this stuff?

I can't help being a little uneasy.
    I do one of my tricks,

a rock-scorching, razor turn at 600 miles an hour,
    and he falls off the cliff, the coyote —

he really falls: I see the small explosion,
    his body slamming into dry dirt

so far down in the canyon
    the river looks like a crayon doodle.

That has to hurt, right?
    Five seconds later, he's just up the highway

hoisting a huge anvil
    above a little, yellow dish of bird feed —

like I don't see what's goin' on. C'mon!

You know how sometimes, even though you're
    very serious about the things you do,

it seems like, secretly, there's a
    big joke being played,

and you're part of what
    someone else is laughing at — only

you can't prove it, so you
    keep sweating and believing in

your career, as if that
    makes the difference, as if somehow

playing along isn't really

playing along as long as you're
    not sure what sort of fool

you're being turned into, especially
    if you're giving it one-hundred percent.

So, when I see dynamite
    tucked under the ACME road-runner cupcakes,

as long as I don't wonder why my safety
    isn't coming first in this situation,

as long as I don't think me
    and the coyote are actually

working for the same people,

as long as I eat and

get away I'm not really stupid,

right? I'm just fast.

sorry about the massive post :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

32011_540.jpg

I assume the point of that wasn't to make me hungry?
    It failed. Hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement