Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloodborne (From Software / Sony)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So back to my original point about the re-skinning of the game;
    It plays & looks like Dark Souls 1 & 2 and yet it's not being marketed as a souls game however it's a completely new I.P.

For me that what's disappointing about it regardless, even if you do enjoy the gameplay formula. There's nothing original about this "New I.P."

You still haven't answered if you've played the original games?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It plays & looks like Dark Souls 1 & 2 and yet it's not being marketed as a souls game however it's a completely new I.P.

For me that what's disappointing about it regardless, even if you do enjoy the gameplay formula. There's nothing original about this "New I.P."

If that's from an aesthetic pov, fair enough. But on gameplay it's a bit harsh to say it's the same. As I said, it looks quicker, you can't block anymore. You have both a ranged and combat weapon at all times to the looks of it. They can be combined to create a heavy weapon, we don't know much on the online aspect yet etc..

..and that's from a 6 min clip of the only area we've seen so far.

I would just argue that this is the case for a lot of games developed by the same company.

Naughty dog with Uncharted and TLOU, Bungie with Halo and Destiny and so on.

I would just wait until we have a bit more info first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Do we know that they've removed shields and magic, or have we just seen one class so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm pretty sure on the shields but I've no idea on magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

As above and also stated by tok this is not a Souls game

Outside of the name, can you characterise what you think a Souls game is? What attributes should a Souls game have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It plays and looks like a Souls game by design though. Sony own the Demons Souls IP and, according to some interviews with current From President and Souls series Director/Supervisor Hidetaka Miyazaki, they approached the studio to do something new but with the same DNA as the Souls series for the PS4. From the footage of Bloodborne so far, that's what we're getting.

Seeing asset reuse at this stage isn't that surprising and could very well be placeholder in a few cases. In others, such as the UI design, why fix what's not broken? I'd imagine they're aiming for something that feels familiar to the Souls audience but given the drastic settings change and changes to combat, is different enough to differentiate itself from the Souls series.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Do we know that they've removed shields and magic, or have we just seen one class so far?
    That seems to be addressed here.
    “We were already thinking of a shift to a combat system where you would enter battle more actively than the sword and shield-based combat of Demon’s. So we adopted the idea of guns, but there was a prerequisite that we didn’t want the game to turn into a shooting game, and the Victorian age fit perfectly. It’s an era where the imagery of old guns still remains.”

I imagine we'll see magic in some form or another. Maybe alchemy or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Call me strange but I'd consider any game described with the phrase "Dark Souls reskinned" to be a massive compliment.

The exclusive thing is bull****. I'd gladly throw my money at demon souls or this game...on pc.

I agree, the souls games are brilliant and id welcome a souls game ever 2 years no problem unlike other games that have outstayed their welcome, if this game was not exclusive id say it would make a **** ton more money then been on the one console. Sony definity know how too make exclusives.

tok9 wrote: »
    If that's from an aesthetic pov, fair enough. But on gameplay it's a bit harsh to say it's the same. As I said, it looks quicker, you can't block anymore. You have both a ranged and combat weapon at all times to the looks of it. They can be combined to create a heavy weapon, we don't know much on the online aspect yet etc..

..and that's from a 6 min clip of the only area we've seen so far.

I would just argue that this is the case for a lot of games developed by the same company.

Naughty dog with Uncharted and TLOU, Bungie with Halo and Destiny and so on.

I would just wait until we have a bit more info first.

First off not aimed at you tok but DS hard-cores seem to be getting there panties in a twist. I played Dark Souls and enjoyed it.

But on your point, for me like Dark Souls reskinned from what is clearly evident in the video. But we can agree to disagree here. :)

Again if it's not being marketed as a souls game then it's not a souls game.

They could have easily called it Blood Souls tbh

Making a comparison to Uncharted and TLOU is unfair in my opinion. Such a vast difference between the two. And these clearly being different IP's from the same delevepor.

gizmo wrote: »
    It plays and looks like a Souls game by design though. Sony own the Demons Souls IP and, according to some interviews with current From President and Souls series Director/Supervisor Hidetaka Miyazaki, they approached the studio to do something new but with the same DNA as the Souls series for the PS4. From the footage of Bloodborne so far, that's what we're getting.

Seeing asset reuse at this stage isn't that surprising and could very well be placeholder in a few cases. In others, such as the UI design, why fix what's not broken? I'd imagine they're aiming for something that feels familiar to the Souls audience but given the drastic settings change and changes to combat, is different enough to differentiate itself from the Souls series.

That seems to be addressed here.

I imagine we'll see magic in some form or another. Maybe alchemy or something?

Well said and I understand your opinion here. But 'according to' his still hearsay. Also, asset re-usage to the extreme here though from what I'm witnessing.

Otacon wrote: »
    Outside of the name, can you characterise what you think a Souls game is? What attributes should a Souls game have?
    Your post is irrelevant; This is not being marketed as souls game, so it's not a souls game. Ask the developers.
    tok9 wrote: »
    No it's not being marketed as a Souls game but it's from the same developer.

I don't really understand the issue?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    You still haven't answered if you've played the original games?
    Classic Rasta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Your post is irrelevant; This is not being marketed as souls game, so it's not a souls game. Ask the developers.

Marketing doesn't matter, it's a spiritual successor and everyone knows it.

Plus, learn to use the multiquote button.

Marketing doesn't matter, it's a spiritual successor and everyone knows it.

Plus, learn to use the multiquote button.

Get over it, free country.

So who exactly is everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Getting annoyed cause a company who makes games you like are making another game you like, with a lot of similarities to the games you liked by them before, but has a different setting is ridiculous.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Getting annoyed cause a company who makes games you like are making another game you like, with a lot of similarities to the games you liked by them before, but has a different setting is ridiculous.
    Voicing my opinion on what I have watched in the trailer which has possibly upset others. It's a forum, just because I don't agree with others doesn't mean I'm annoyed.

Get over it, free country.

So who exactly is everyone?

Free country, but not a free forum ;)

Everyone on this thread other than you?

Free country, but not a free forum ;)

Everyone on this thread other than you?

Yea that's it really, you answered the question. It's not marketed as a souls game. But you are taking it as a spiritual sequel.

As is stated free country ;)

Also have a read of this;

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/13/bloodborne-is-not-a-successor-to-demons-souls-yoshida-insists/

Yea that's it really, you answered the question. It's not marketed as a souls game. But you are taking it as a spiritual sequel.

As is stated free country ;)

Also have a read of this;

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/13/bloodborne-is-not-a-successor-to-demons-souls-yoshida-insists/

Spiritual successor, does not mean successor. I don't know why shu would want to distance themselves from the souls brand, but just looking at the gameplay it's clear that the souls game is what was in mind when it was being created. And that's not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

So is bloodborne a re skin of another game then? Getting confused now :

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

The game looks fantastic from a design point of view, while the style is distinctively From Soft I think it looks like it will be unique in its own way, the gathering of the people reminded me of the village from Resi 4, if they capture that spooky cult-like ambience it'll be great.

It was very nice to see the lighting mechanic. I think Dark Souls 2 would have been a hell of a better game if they'd implemented it so that's something to look forward to.

The health regeneration system looks a little bit broken but hopefully it was just balanced like that to make progression in the demo a bit easier.

I'm not sure why people are objecting to it being like Dark Souls, it's nuts. If it's like Dark Souls then it'll be great! Miyazaki is directing it too so it shouldn't suffer from some of the problems Dark Souls 2 had, which were in most part its direction and world setting wasn't nearly as tight as in Dark Souls. I have utmost faith in this project.

• Advertisement

Spiritual successor, does not mean successor. I don't know why shu would want to distance themselves from the souls brand, but just looking at the gameplay it's clear that the souls game is what was in mind when it was being created. And that's not a bad thing.
    For you it's not a bad thing, for me it is. But your struggling to except that.

And I never said it was a successor. You brought this up in the first place.

It's a new IP by the same developer that is re-using assets and has very similar game play mechanics to the souls games. That's what is evident in the video. And that's my opinion.

For you it's not a bad thing, for me it is. But your struggling to except that.

And I never said it was a successor. You brought this up in the first place.

It's a new IP by the same developer that is re-using assets and has very similar game play mechanics to the souls games. That's what is evident in the video. And that's my opinion.

Re-using basic animations isn't a crime, most developers do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Looks amazing, cannot wait. I though the level design in Dark Souls was some of the best I've ever seen so hoping that level of quality is there in Bloodborn too.

There's one scene with a huge monster on the rooftops off in the distance, love details like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah.... I think i'll be happy enough to play another "Souls" styled game, if your not a fan of the series... fair enough, don't see how someone that is could be disappointed or surprised by the similarities. Its one of those game series that i'm more than happy to play another few with the same mechanics.
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I agree, the souls games are brilliant and id welcome a souls game ever 2 years no problem unlike other games that have outstayed their welcome, if this game was not exclusive id say it would make a **** ton more money then been on the one console. Sony definity know how too make exclusives.

Would it really though ? Unless we're talking about last gen, i'd imagine the bulk of the Souls fanbase is on PS. With it probably making more money with a PC release than an XB1 one imo. Would have liked a PC release, but at least this will be something else I can play on the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Magill wrote: »
    Yeah.... I think i'll be happy enough to play another "Souls" styled game, if your not a fan of the series... fair enough, don't see how someone that is could be disappointed or surprised by the similarities. Its one of those game series that i'm more than happy to play another few with the same mechanics.

I broadly agree with your post but for seasoned Souls players there are some fairly huge changes in mechanics in this game to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

After Kadokawas takeover of From Software they really do not need to worry about money anymore and the majority of games Kadokawa have put out have been exclusive to Sony platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Magill wrote: »

Would it really though ? Unless we're talking about last gen, i'd imagine the bulk of the Souls fanbase is on PS. With it probably making more money with a PC release than an XB1 one imo. Would have liked a PC release, but at least this will be something else I can play on the PS.

I believe it would, plenty of people crying out for a next gen souls game on pc and xbox one (well pc is already next gen, you get my drift) its well wanted, and it would only make more money from been on multiple platforms rather then the one platform
    but like I said Sony know how to make/get/buy exclusives, the game will earn alot of profit I have no doubt, but this been purely an exclusive will gain sales of ps4's but lets face it the game itself or the company would make alot more money if it was out for every console but in turn this would downsize the amount of sales of ps4 (ps4 sales arnt slowing down, but I mean if the game was not an exclusive, well then it wouldn't be a system seller) tried to rephrase it as it came out abit wrong their :pac:

Feel bad for people who love the souls series or menchanics and have already made their next gen decision, as this would be a system seller at least for me anyway, I already own a ps4, but if I didnt I sure as hell would buy one for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Souls May Cry

Devil May Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Well said and I understand your opinion here. But 'according to' his still hearsay. Also, asset re-usage to the extreme here though from what I'm witnessing.
    Apologies, when I said "according to" I was paraphrasing interviews I'd read previously, one of which you actually ended up linking to. :)

I don't really want to get into the whole subjective area of what's a spiritual successor and what's not though. What I will say is this, the game has Souls DNA all over it, not just the currently shared assets, but the general look and feel of the game. What they have changed, and it should be rather evident to those who have played the Souls series, is that there appears to be a very obvious shift towards a more offensively-focused combat system. It's not just about the removal of the shields in favour of greater emphasis on countering and dodging but also the use of close-range firearms, heavier, more visceral melee attacks, the ability to switch weapon handedness mid-combat with relative easy and what appears to be pretty significant changes to the health system.

When Miyazaki talks of the gameplay mechanics being "brand new, pretty much", I'm rather confident these are the changes he's referring to.
    Xenji wrote: »
    After Kadokawas takeover of From Software they really do not need to worry about money anymore and the majority of games Kadokawa have put out have been exclusive to Sony platforms.
    This is very much a Sony published game though and I'd wager this agreement was in place before the Kadokawa acquisition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Looks very nice! I must admit I was a bit jaded after DS2 and haven't picked up the expansion yet, but I have finished Demon Souls, Dark Souls 1 & 2 and I have no doubt I will be picking this up if I get a PS4.

When I first read about this I was sure it will be Demon Souls 2 or something but looks quiet the departure. I was a bit sceptical at first but reading a bit more into it and team that is behind this has me rather excited and the more I think about it the more it makes sense for them to move on from the Souls series.

I do remember reading on neogaf the time of the reveal that a lot of the Assets in there were placeholders. Would love to see some more fluid movesets or combos to compliment the more offensive playstyle.

Advertisement