Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

My son's PS3 went bang the other month, and I gave him mine while he is waiting on SANTA to replace his system .....I bought GT5 for it and was not to impressed tbh. Had a huge update ( can't remember the size. ) Left the system downloading for @ 1-2 hours and then had to wait for the thing to install......

Any way the plus side is....I can now get back to playing my xbox, finished gears of war 3 on hardcore and got to the final boss on Insane.

Said feck this ( after trying to kill the boss for the 70 time ) treaded into extravision for 25€ and got Forza4.......

Got Gears 3 for 20€ and just got Forza 4 for the same....Happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I work for MS

Were you telling me before that o1s1n was the coffee boy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »
    Were you telling me before that o1s1n was the fluffer?

FYP. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

oh... 11.11.11

See you all back here in 12 hours!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Were you telling me before that o1s1n was the coffee boy?

He is also the biscuit boy as well......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of biscuits...

Screw 11-11-11 11:11, today marks a much more important public holiday:

http://www.tofugu.com/2010/11/11/what-is-pocky-day-11-11/

Here's to you, delicious chocolate covered snack!

dced1ebb7685ced84cbbf7b65382f79a1226153130_full.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He is also the biscuit boy as well......:rolleyes:

Get off boards and go back to cleaning the toilets! :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    Get off boards and go back to cleaning the toilets! :P

I would but you did them already......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Just to warn you that the next three or four hours are by a distance the hardest of the game. Take your time, persevere and don't let 'em get you down. Even when the most dastardly trick in the game - it involves a gate - will make you want to rage quit something fierce.

Rage quit at that point is exactly what I did...haven't picked it up since actually! Know better now, will be getting back to it soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ghostchant wrote: »
    Rage quit at that point is exactly what I did...haven't picked it up since actually! Know better now, will be getting back to it soon

Yeah, I wish I had a picture of my face when I discovered it. As Bender might say, 'killing all humans' seemed like a more than appropriate response at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I look forward to venting here in good time so!
    I need that Drake Sword, apparently, here dragon dragon...

Never did get the Drake sword - just went for the blitz attack when I eventually did slay the dragon in question (heavy soul arrow - run away - heavy soul arrow - run away x10).

Once you get past the next boss and achieve a certain story event, the game becomes more manageable. And then you can look forward to the slow trickle of uber weapons :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just got the new issue of retrogamer magazine (from the new balbriggan easons :) ). Seems like a fantastic issue. There's a huge making of FFVII article with Kitase, can't wait to read it. There's also a making of Radiant Silvergun, which should be as good as the rest of the treasure article. There's also a making of Revenge of Shinobi and Kid Chameleon, a game I hate but will definitely like to read about it. Jetman, Monty Mole and Panzer Dragoon Orta as well and the X68000 are covered. There's also someone from the god awful Probe Software in the developer hot seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just got the new issue of retrogamer magazine (from the new balbriggan easons :) ). Seems like a fantastic issue. There's a huge making of FFVII article with Kitase, can't wait to read it. There's also a making of Radiant Silvergun, which should be as good as the rest of the treasure article. There's also a making of Revenge of Shinobi and Kid Chameleon, a game I hate but will definitely like to read about it. Jetman, Monty Mole and Panzer Dragoon Orta as well and the X68000 are covered. There's also someone from the god awful Probe Software in the developer hot seat.

It's well for some to have their own magazine :D

unledooo1.png

Seriously though I got the mag last week and its a decent issue all right.
    Well worth picking up and the reason I got Panzer Dragoon Orta in the post today.

I've not picked up the magazine for a few months now, but seeing as Radiant Silvergun and Probe are featured I think I'll grab it on my iPad.

Are either of these features a good read, or just a couple of paragraphs?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »

unledooo1.png

Well worth picking up and the reason I got Panzer Dragoon Orta in the post today.

Just thought I'd quote this message, just because it's such a lovely picture.

Hey, here's a thought!
    We have a LBGT forum here, haven't we?
    What if we......

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I've not picked up the magazine for a few months now, but seeing as Radiant Silvergun and Probe are featured I think I'll grab it on my iPad.

Are either of these features a good read, or just a couple of paragraphs?

I can loan you the mag on iPad if you like?

The app supports that feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

unledooo1.png

Utter photoshopic genious :D:D:D

Cheers Ulysses! How does that work? I've not used that feature yet.

I do really like the cover of the new issue as well.

photone.png

@Pyongyang
    I just stick your email address in the share option on my app and I lose access to it for up to 4 days and then I get it back after that or after your finished.

• Advertisement

And I'm back for more One goodness!

Just replaced the screen lens on my best condition Game Boy DMG-01.
    Man it looks brand new, and I only spent 4 or 5 euro on the official lens and postage.

I stuck a pic in the retro repair thread for anyone interested.

@Pyongyang
    I just stick your email address in the share option on my app and I lose access to it for up to 4 days and then I get it back after that or after your finished.

I did not know this. I have a Games TM subscription on the iPad. We should work something out.

Picked up Skyrim today... enjoying it... I'll imagine I'll get bored though... Don't think I lasted too long with Oblivion...

DinoRex wrote: »
    I did not know this. I have a Games TM subscription on the iPad. We should work something out.

Sounds like a plan. A forum library of sorts.

cover_print5_lg.jpg

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,845 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retrogamer FFVII article was a bit disappointing. Unlike the excellent Resi one there was nothing about the trainwreck development of the game which would have been interesting and it was really afraid to criticise the game even going so far to compliment the 'depth' of the materia system which is probably the most simplistic and dull battle system of the FF series. Still not a bad read though but I'm guessing Square had some silly conditions that had to be fulfilled to get it published unlike Shinji Mikami who is no longer at Capcom and spilled the beans.

Master of the Universe

Retrogamer FFVII article was a bit disappointing.

What's the rest of the mag like this month? If I've to only get it to read the Radiant Silvergun article then I'll just rob Ulysses' copy.

Have they ever had Darius as the cover photo? Again, I mean this:

darius2.png

And not this:

Darius_danesh_live_twice_album.jpg

Retrogamer magazine is always a good read it's just that when they are dealing with employees of japanese companies that still work at the company they made the game for then it's hard to get anything negative out of them. It's just the way japanese companies work. Just disappointed it wasn't as good as the Resi article from last month. I haven't read the rest of the magazine just that article.

Not sure if they ever covered Darius since I've only been getting the magazine the last 2 years. Write in and ask them, I'm sure they'll get back to you.

A cool Darius cover would be spectacular I think (even though you hate the first ones :D).

I found a similar issue too with Retro Gamer company interviews. The Cave one was really good, but didn't really press enough buttons to get more juicy info out of them that isn't really already well known anyway. So although it was a really good read and obviously a coup for the magazine, I came away from it feeling that I hadn't really learned anything new.

Is the Probe article good? I actually quite liked some of their titles. Were they not generally well liked?

• Advertisement

I found Probe did some okay titles but most of their conversions were really piss poor including a disgraceful bubble bobble and rainbow islands conversion for saturn and of course the god awful megadrive mortal kombat games.

Nice one Andrew 'Greek Mother' 76 for a top night. Great to meet a few faces. Delighted to see a Vectrex in the flesh, I think I'm won over and want one!

Couldn't believe I got a shot at Akai Katana and got soundly beat at Street Fighter too!

Though for me the highlight had to be seeing a proper Cave PCB (how small are they!) and playing my new favourite shooting game... Ibara! Nice one ondafly!

Think a few can agree, that game is utterly mesmerising. Beautiful stuff and expertly piloted by Johnny Ultimate, you're a natural!

Sera, get those geek craft goodies made up and thanks for the psychedelic cola. Raging I didn't get to try the Fukushima cake!

Forgot to mention all the other cool stuff I saw. The Nomads, NES carts and Pier Solar and more. So much cool stuff but........IBARA! OMG! I AM IN LOVE! My PS2 copy is going to be hammered tomorrow!

Cheers again all, I had a blast. :)

Just home now. Not sure if I'll be able to sleep after Gregory Horror Show.

Whenever I close my eyes all I see is Catherine and her big syringe coming after me!

DinoRex wrote: »
    Just home now. Not sure if I'll be able to sleep after Gregory Horror Show.

Whenever I close my eyes all I see is Catherine and her big syringe coming after me!

Was it you who was playing that game about a boy who 'likes girls' and 'playmates' on the NES? :)

Feck!
    Completely forgot about the Beers!
    Arse!
    And I wanted to show off my inadequate Dark Souls skills!
    Might throw an Xmas Beers in mine, will have to consult with the venue management first.

Aha Gregory Horror Show - proof that square headed weird animal things make for far more terrifying survival horror material than zombies, dinosaurs or any of the other tropes of the genre.

Cheers again to Andrew for the eve, twas a blast :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I learned so much accurate history about dinosaurs

Thanks lads and lady, your a great bunch of lads

As promised last night, here is my PS2 copy of Ibara running in tate today. :)

Was it you who was playing that game about a boy who 'likes girls' and 'playmates' on the NES? :)

Yes. Little Nemo. He would drug animals with 'candy' and the slip inside their bodies!

Also it's the Studio Ghibli film that never was:

Thanks a million for being a great host andrew76. Sera says thanks as well. I'm still dropping hints to sera to get me an arcade cab, don't think it's working.

Oh yeah, fuck Toki.

Hints?

First thing I hear retr0 say when he walks into the room.

"Hey Sera. You know an arcade cab would make a really nice Christmas / Birthday present"

:P

• Advertisement

He already used up his christmas and birthday presents on that lemon tree and he hardly ever plays with it.

@Retr0gamer: I can give you one handy tip for getting a cab. Bribe them with shoes and bags!

My Missus has both shoes and bags and so far I have no cab!
    Sad but true!
    At least I can call next door in the new year and play with kerbdogs Naomi. :)

I am making slow progress, but progress never the less, in Dark Souls.

Oh, and I see "sources" have Zelda already, the dirty pirates!

Master of the Universe

Only back in myself. Had a great time, thanks Andrew76! Great seeing so many people interested in shmups in one place like that. Can't say I've ever seen anything like it before.

/Off to ebay to look for an Ibara PCB.

I'm still having trouble with the whole lava = bad concept....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, and I see "sources" have Zelda already, the dirty pirates!

I have it preordered (And fully paid for)

So its a Backup:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Thanks a million for being a great host andrew76. I'm still dropping hints to get me an arcade cab
    @Retr0gamer: I can give you one handy tip for getting a cab. Bribe them with shoes and bags!
    Thanks so much Andrew for having us over and for heating up my lemonade for me (_ _*) and sorry to keeping you up late.
    It won't work, the only cab I'm getting is my own :pac:
    Sera, get those geek craft goodies made up. Raging I didn't get to try the Fukushima cake!
    I'm only home today so hopefully I get my craft on soon enough, usually post stuff I make anyway. I had some when I was there and took some home with me for the train onomnomnomnom, thanks Dinorex

Finished Rule of Rose. What a ****ed up game. Well worth suffering through the crap combat for the story though.

Edge Magazine:

'It's just a murky brew of meaningless, exploitative dysfunction filling an empty game, and it leaves a bitter taste.'

Translation: I was too stupid to understand what happened in the game and didn't bother finishing it and the Daily Mail said it was evil so here's some new words I discovered from my thesaurus.

Oh look at the time!

This means I've been playing Skyrim too much... it's one of those games where you completely lose track of time.

Also this:

48l3b.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sera wrote: »
    Thanks so much Andrew for having us over and for heating up my lemonade for me (_ _*) and sorry to keeping you up late.
    It won't work, the only cab I'm getting is my own :pac:

You're very welcome and yikes that's some hassle you'd have with college. :(

Thanks to all who took the trip down and for the goodies you brought. Big thanks to Jack for the tastey burgers, fair play man. Thanks ondafly for gracing our presence with Ibara ("EE BARA!!"), what a stunning looking game (once I rememberd the RGB pots on the back of the supergun :o). I get the feeling pyong really wasn't satisfied with his brief sniff of the board. :pac:
    Also lol @ Retr0 and Toki, you got there in the end dude. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement