Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reduced Broadband Speeds in Tramore

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

UTV have yet to respond to my complaint, nearly two weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Sully wrote: »
    UTV have yet to respond to my complaint, nearly two weeks now.

Drag on and on and on , in your situation I'd be glad of dealing with same agents , obviously there is little can be done , however with comreg looking into to it ,a boards and a face book page , Eircom admitting it I'm surprised you are still getting the runaround,
    When it will do no giod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

rasper wrote: »
    Personally would prefer to deal with same agents , however doubt they have it set up like that , how could they , calls would bee held in queues forever while waiting for the same agent , would it be more regional based possibly.but thats a far stretch in itself as regarding explaining them selves , that's what notes are taken as I don't think john murphy will remember john power issue from 3 days ago after 200 calls in between
    Anyway if an issue isn't fixed after 3 calls while they tell u move this that and the other , turn off the lights , get an electrian , and all other bs they pawn people off

Fact is the exchange is issue and everyone isp downwards and upwards know it , comreg only recourse

I've worked in my fair share of call centres, when a call comes in and the system registers it as a repeat call it will try route it to the last person who dealt with a call from that number, if the agent is busy then the call will hold for up to usually 5min incase the agent becomes free, if not then it will route the call back into the general que on a first come first serve basis, unless the original agent then becomes free in which case the call skips to the agent.
    if the agent either isn't working or on a break then he call goes straight into the general que.
    the calls that end up becoming a repeat calls are the ones you usually remember, especially after you read your own notes, the 200 odd calls in between are usually less then a minute basic stuff you do all the time, these calls are the ones you rarily remember.

Have worked the call centre scene in earlier days myself , wasn't around then but obviously is now as you say , pretty good development however it must be tougher on the agents being made to lie to the same person over and over as in this case
    Call centres can be tough enough as is

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I've worked in my fair share of call centres, when a call comes in and the system registers it as a repeat call it will try route it to the last person who dealt with a call from that number, if the agent is busy then the call will hold for up to usually 5min incase the agent becomes free, if not then it will route the call back into the general que on a first come first serve basis, unless the original agent then becomes free in which case the call skips to the agent.
    if the agent either isn't working or on a break then he call goes straight into the general que.
    the calls that end up becoming a repeat calls are the ones you usually remember, especially after you read your own notes, the 200 odd calls in between are usually less then a minute basic stuff you do all the time, these calls are the ones you rarily remember.

When I call in, I am immediately put through to the same guy. I know it, but he never says. It's before I even give the reasons as to my call.

Anyway, the complaint to UTV is via Comreg. No response, nearly two weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

Seems as though this is not just a specific localised issue with our exchange. Found this is the Talk to Eircom forum. Think its up in Trim, Co. Meath. They have been upgraded to eFibre in the are since last summer (2013) and in the evenings between 8-12 their speeds are dropping from 45-50Mbps down to between 1-5Mbps due to congestion. Notably as usual when Eircom know there is a problem in an area, they seem to decide to ignore to answer queries on their Talk to threads.

Think we are doomed for the foreseeable future lads, even when the eFibre is active (here's hoping March '14 estimate goes ahead)

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057043309/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I asked on Talk to and other questions put since mine have been answered, mine is now on page 2. I will bump it on Monday, but I think you are right.

When I call in, I am immediately put through to the same guy. I know it, but he never says. It's before I even give the reasons as to my call.

Hate to be that agent , knows u know , isn't allowed say or hint anything , call is being recorded and. A very good chance it willl be retrieved when a comreg complaint goes in , his performance measured on it yet is forced to lie by his employers
    Honestly could not sing sky broadbands praises enough, may just because they new and entered market with fresh agents in Dublin, but customer service has been 5* and there agents a pleasure.to talk too
    That's how service centres are meant to be

Hate to be that agent , knows u know , isn't allowed say or hint anything , call is being recorded and. A very good chance it willl be retrieved when a comreg complaint goes in , his performance measured on it yet is forced to lie by his employers
    Honestly could not sing sky broadbands praises enough, may just because they new and entered market with fresh agents in Dublin, but customer service has been 5* and there agents a pleasure.to talk too
    That's how service centres are meant to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Absolutely ridiculous this morning and I'm in the centre of the town in work!

3278965129.png

• Advertisement

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3279050460.png
    also tramore, why the difference (not amazing but manageable)

Bit better now!!!

3279135070.png

Got a reply from Eircom on Talk to:
    I've double checked this and I can confirm that efibre should be coming to Tramore by mid March. Not all areas in Tramore will be able to avail of an upgrade as works to cabinets will be ongoing over the next year but the cabinets done by arch will be going live then. I will not be able to offer an indication on specific areas, line or cabinets until efibre has lauched in Tramore.

So it looks as though everyone is right. Something is ('should be') happening in March, but we don't know who will be connected, and some will not be on until the end of the year.

looksee wrote: »
    Got a reply from Eircom on Talk to:

So it looks as though everyone is right. Something is ('should be') happening in March, but we don't know who will be connected, and some will not be on until the end of the year.

I assume the cabinets that are fitted by now are the ones going live, no work done in my estate:/

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

That's a joke like,how can they just decide that a certain area of Tramore will have fibre and others won't?! I still can't understand either how these guys don't know specifics as to where the cabinets will be. Are they just throwing them in wherever the engineer fancies or have they gone to the trouble of making a "plan"?

It infuriates me they way they with hold information. Just come out and bloody say exactly whats going on and where.

3 cabinets I've noticed are at

1 Pine grove/westbrook
    2 Clarinwood
    3 Beside riverstown stores

Even though I was told the cable extends almost to Annestown, it seems from the above posts that I certainly won't be seeing anything in March! The nearest cabinet to me is the Pine Grove one! But that's still over 1km away!!

Today at work is same old story....

3281428794.png

There is one by the grotto up by the Council Offices (there's a surprise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Benny1210

They are popping up all over theres 1 in Monvoy Valley bottom entrance and 1 at the roundabout in Sommerville aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

I've had broadband issues for awhile with eircom (just posted over on the eircom forum about it). Before Christmas was getting ~18 Mbps, now lucky to get 2 Mbps. I was told this morning by them "you had no congestion before and so good speeds, now people have increased their bandwidth so there is congestion in Tramore, nothing we can do about it"....despite the fact I pay for UNCONGESTED bloody broadband! (How I haven't cursed writing that is beyond me)

DaveC85 wrote: »
    That's a joke like,how can they just decide that a certain area of Tramore will have fibre and others won't?! I still can't understand either how these guys don't know specifics as to where the cabinets will be. Are they just throwing them in wherever the engineer fancies or have they gone to the trouble of making a "plan"?

It infuriates me they way they with hold information. Just come out and bloody say exactly whats going on and where.

3 cabinets I've noticed are at

1 Pine grove/westbrook
    2 Clarinwood
    3 Beside riverstown stores

There are actually loads around the town mate, the went around setting up the bases for them first and once that was done they started fitting the vDSL cabinets. Wherever there was an old cabinet, a new vDSL will be placed within 10 metres of it.

Have seen other cabinets as well as the ones you mentioned at:

Newtown Hill
    Meadowbrook
    Marian Terrace
    Roselawn
    Moonvoy

As much as I'm looking forward to the rollout of fibre, its a shame that each area will be staggered but at least providers will be emailing/phoning/mailing users to inform them once their line is available for fibre.

One is issue is that you need an Engineer visit to get fibre installed with a new modem in your home. Sorry for straying off topic here.

Have contacted Vodafone numerous times and still have not got proper information from them, keep getting fobbed off being told there is no visible issue that they can see.

Pretty much disgusted to think that even when the fibre is rolled out here, out bandwidth issues as a result of the exchange having issues and being prehistoric is unacceptable. It just means that speed differentials will be more pronounced compared to the issues that are being suffered now :(

• Advertisement

Just to reiterate what gary said on the first page, can anyone suffering from these issues file a formal complaint with Eircom here and then you can make a complaint to ComReg here. Enough is enough with this shower. I lodged the complaints yesterday and it only took a couple of minutes

Just today saw there is a box on Sweetbriar Park/Lawn.

Just saw this on the FB BB issues in Tramore page. Is this your BB company????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A thread has been set up here to collate all the reports of poor broadband across the country. Pop on over and add your details if you can

Hahaha i threw that video onto the eircon tramore page. It sums up every provider here in ireland.

Great idea with the link Robocode, kinda nice and not at the same time to see we're not the only one's in the same boat.

I can't take credit for the idea, a user finnteme started it but it is a great idea :)

They've swept to new lows for me tonight

3290181070.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I am completely sick and tired of this.

For the last couple of weeks my broadband has been disconnecting then reconnecting then disconnecting etc...

Have been onto them, they've sent engineers out, they say its a problem with the exchange and should be sorted soon.

Can't even post my speeds (which are horrible) because of course my internet doesn't work. Been tethering off my phone the last couple of days.

This seems to usually only happen in the night, just getting sick of this now. I wish they would hurry up and enable the eFibre if the exchange is really that bad at the moment.

I am seriously considering changing but all companies are on the same lines so the same problems will happen regardless of the provider unless I go satellite which I do not want to do.

Paying for uncongested broadband, I'm currently getting neither. Pathetic.

If you could add your case to this thread I'd really appreciate all the input we can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

robocode wrote: »
    If you could add your case to this thread I'd really appreciate all the input we can get.

Just entered mine....

Folks, if your getting nowhere with your ISP then take it up with ComReg. It's easy, just keep an eye so its not left slide.

I did just that last week, waiting to hear back from comreg. I'll post up here once I do to let you know how it worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kgarvey

I got the tail end of the news on the radio today mentioning COMREG looking into phone companies offering higher speeds than they are able to provide... And there doing somethign about it

I didnt get the story just the ending does anyone know what there doing??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Cant add much of interest to anyone here but the internet speed in our house is absolutely pathetic the last few weeks and it used be fairly good! Are the estates mentioned above the only ones getting the new improved thing or will nearby estates get it too?

Decided to humour myself today and see was there an update, naturally enough there wasn't. So in the 2 weeks between my call's,not one piece of information exchanged between tech support and the ground engineers.

DeiseGirl, the estates close to the cabinets will be tied in,so the likes of ballycarnane woods and cairn dubh will connect to the cluin mhor cabinet's.

• Advertisement

Just an update on my end.

UTV spoke with me last week and assured me they would investigate with eircom, following on from my COMREG complaint. They were not given any notification from eircom of a problem in the exchange, and informed me it will take a number of attempts before eircom give them an answer we can work with, effectively. I got a call Monday to confirm they are talking with eircom but it will take more time to get answer they can work with. I was told my problem sounds very like congestion in the exchange.

(Paraphrasing, of course, but that's the gist)

I haven't got a call back just yet, but I genuinely think UTV are looking into it and eircom are just being slow. So I will give it a little more time before seeking an update.

Just an update on my end.

UTV spoke with me last week and assured me they would investigate with eircom, following on from my COMREG complaint. They were not given any notification from eircom of a problem in the exchange, and informed me it will take a number of attempts before eircom give them an answer we can work with, effectively. I got a call Monday to confirm they are talking with eircom but it will take more time to get answer they can work with. I was told my problem sounds very like congestion in the exchange.

(Paraphrasing, of course, but that's the gist)

I haven't got a call back just yet, but I genuinely think UTV are looking into it and eircom are just being slow. So I will give it a little more time before seeking an update.

I actually had an engineer at my house the other day and said that they were working on the exchange and we should soon see some improvments.

He also told me that eFibre is to go live on the 14th March in Tramore. :)

However he said once it's switched on, it could take a week before anyone can see the correct speeds etc...

Here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Paying for 'up to' 8mb. I usually get 5.5mb down and 40 ping.

SpeedtestnetbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.png

It's been like this all day.

Keno wrote: »
    Paying for 'up to' 8mb. I usually get 5.5mb down and 40 ping.

SpeedtestnetbyOokla-TheGlobalBroadbandSpeedTest.png

It's been like this all day.

I second that sentiment Keno, Last night at 2-5AM I was getting between 10-12Mbps download speeds on my line, in accordance with my package. Today however since midday it has been like this:
    3310588159.png

and still is. Just utterly infuriating

• Advertisement

And it gets better!

3310596462.png

I'm feeling the effects of this tonight, getting extremely p***ed off now at this stage.

3310659822.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

There are actually loads around the town mate, the went around setting up the bases for them first and once that was done they started fitting the vDSL cabinets. Wherever there was an old cabinet, a new vDSL will be placed within 10 metres of it.

Have seen other cabinets as well as the ones you mentioned at:

Newtown Hill
    Meadowbrook
    Marian Terrace
    Roselawn
    Moonvoy

Not sure if someone pointed to this map yet?

Haven't posted in a while but here is the latest speed test which is somewhere near normal and has been for the last week or so!

With UTV!

3312209407.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

E fibre is coming but who knows when, I'd say sooner rather than later!!!

I have to ask is anyone on here actually looking for faster broadband now, there is a lot of moaning but people putting up with the service they didn't sign up for - I hate to say it but its so Irish ???

Mine at this minute
    Ping 60
    Download speed 11.78
    Upload speed 6.53

If you don't like what your getting let your feet do the talking, I bet they'd install efibre alot faster if they actually started losing customers because of their disgraceful service. Money is all there interested in so hit them where it hurts.

E fibre is coming but who knows when, I'd say sooner rather than later!!!

I have to ask is anyone on here actually looking for faster broadband now, there is a lot of moaning but people putting up with the service they didn't sign up for - I hate to say it but its so Irish ???

Mine at this minute
    Ping 60
    Download speed 11.78
    Upload speed 6.53

If you don't like what your getting let your feet do the talking, I bet they'd install efibre alot faster if they actually started losing customers because of their disgraceful service. Money is all there interested in so hit them where it hurts.

I agree totally however up in till june . We had excellent speed
    , and I essentially have had free broadband and line rental since then becuase I didn't believe eircoms bs and pushed and pushed . Had engineers in my house three times
    , doesnt help anyone that u r threatened everytime before each visit

rasper wrote: »
    I agree totally however up in till june . We had excellent speed
    , and I essentially have had free broadband and line rental since then becuase I didn't believe eircoms bs and pushed and pushed . Had engineers in my house three times
    , doesnt help anyone that u r threatened everytime before each visit

If you're getting for free thats a plus alright.

Its terrible that you're being threatened, they're unbelievable

If you're getting for free thats a plus alright.

Its terrible that you're being threatened, they're unbelievable

Every single time (eircom procedure) im sure but it was, if there is no problem up to the entry point on house you ll be billed, didn't bother me but imagine what it sounds like to a person who doesn't understand and this is while it was widely known , but officially " oh there's no problem u r the only one"
    €25 a month just to have a line with a phone I never use to be told that , broadband is only €13 extra or something pm

There's no point switching to another service when all the lines are eircom controlled we'll still have the same problem regardless. If I pick up the phone in my mothers house and call about the slow speeds and mention nothing that I know there's a problem on the exchange in Tramore,Eircom will troubleshoot as normal and say nothing about the bigger issue at hand.

They've not openly come out and announced a fault,instead the real problem is hidden behind smoke and mirrors.

More than likely the majority of us here are using our net for netflix,gaming and downloads and that's why we notice the difference but if your household does nothing but browse you wouldn't even notice the difference in speeds between peak and off peak times.

I called yesterday for an update and they've no idea. I'm encouraged to pay my bill as normal and then when the issue is resolved I'm to call back to fight tooth and nail for a full refund because apparently despite the fact that I'm paying for an uncongested service,the fact that I received "some" service is meant to be good enough.

At this stage I doubt the problem will be fixed,fibre rolled out next month and when people start jumping onto that,dsl congestion will drop and Eircom won't have fixed the issue.That's their solution right there

DaveC85 wrote: »
    There's no point switching to another service when all the lines are eircom controlled we'll still have the same problem regardless. If I pick up the phone in my mothers house and call about the slow speeds and mention nothing that I know there's a problem on the exchange in Tramore,Eircom will troubleshoot as normal and say nothing about the bigger issue at hand.

They've not openly come out and announced a fault,instead the real problem is hidden behind smoke and mirrors.

That only applies if you need a landline which I don't have or need and I have VoIP phone, so rather than the internet coming over the phone, the phone comes over the internet.
    And its not satellite internet either, from what I know its wireless repeaters. I wasn't going to move either because I was convinced it was either phoneline or satellite.

We would regularly have Neflix on in both rooms in the evenings, I also work from home parttime and the broadband is fine, no probs what so ever. I have no problem Skyping relatives in Oz.

I did have different landline internet and I got out of the contract because I wasn't getting the service I was paying for. I did have to contact Comreg but it wasn't difficult as the service provider was in breach, it did take about a few phone calls and I had to contact Comreg 3 times, but it was all done and dusted in about a week.

I'm sick of companies offering bad service and thinking people just have to put with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement