Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 1a(1) - The Aptitude Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dcharkin

what was the name of the book, do they have the same kind of diagrams as the test familarisation booklet. Has anyone started the college yet and how is it going! What are the hours etc. and how much do you get a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 popsypya

As far as I remember you can find the pay and hours in the information booklet..

https://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/08012_Notes_for_Candidates.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    kerry4sam - what is the name of the book you got? i got three from the library but not much in them other than the non verbal tests and have done them a couple of times now.
    popsypya wrote: »
    Well I got a book on psychometric test when I did not really know what the garda test would be like and there is too much different stuff in that book that I dont need and just get confused by looking at... was a bad choice..

The book you got sounds great, what is the name of the book and who wrote it ?
    dcharkin wrote: »
    what was the name of the book, do they have the same kind of diagrams as the test familarisation booklet. Has anyone started the college yet and how is it going! What are the hours etc. and how much do you get a week?

Hey not sure if it would fall under this charter rule: # No requesting, offering or quoting copyrighted material in any form. You are free to re-sell books and the like that you bought privately over on adverts.ie

so i'll send you all on a PM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It doesn't. You can give out names and authors of books. You can't request or offer a COPY of books though, as in placed on a photocopier and actually copied. Thanks.
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey not sure if it would fall under this charter rule: # No requesting, offering or quoting copyrighted material in any form. You are free to re-sell books and the like that you bought privately over on adverts.ie

so i'll send you all on a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've also just noticed from the last time I did it (2yrs) that question one is now about you and your past experiences from work etc. It used to be reading a short passage and answering question from it.

I'm just going to read the Kilroys College course book I got from yrs ago. You really only have to get plenty practice with the Analytical Reasoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

kerry4sam - just googled the book would you believe it is one of the books i got from the library, havent looked at it yet!!

will get studying tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

what is the book called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

horse1 wrote: »
    what is the book called

Dont think your allowed request copy righted material.

You might try pm'ing Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

psni wrote: »
    You can give out names and authors of books.

You can give out the names, as above straight from the horses mouth so to speak!!!:D

• Advertisement

Managed to get hold of the book in waterstones in Cork earlier today.. gonna study hard now for the next two weeks have my test on the 11th.

Also booked a consultation for the laser surgery on my eyes, am dreading it... anyone here that has had it done?

And does anyone know if you can bring a stop watch to the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Hi, i just booked today, i've to go up to Dublin, is it Abbey Centre or something? Does anyone know where it is?

Btw i did it a couple years ago and i can't remember anybody giving out about stopwatches or watches so i'd say you'll be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

no problem afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Mark63

Managed to get hold of the book in waterstones in Cork earlier today.. gonna study hard now for the next two weeks have my test on the 11th.

Also booked a consultation for the laser surgery on my eyes, am dreading it... anyone here that has had it done?

Had it done a few days ago and went back for a check up today - almost at 20/20 vision now and well inside the requirements for the Gardai. Op itself was painless and very quick - less than 30 mins and was back home in an hour and half. After a day got a bit sore and sight went down but recovered quickly. Definitely recommend it if you need it.

MOG7 wrote: »
    Hi, i just booked today, i've to go up to Dublin, is it Abbey Centre or something? Does anyone know where it is?

Btw i did it a couple years ago and i can't remember anybody giving out about stopwatches or watches so i'd say you'll be ok.

chapter house,abbey street-at the luas stop

• Advertisement

shakin wrote: »
    chapter house,abbey street-at the luas stop

Thats the one, cheers, mine is on the 26th but doing a course in Athlone on Sunday to refresh on it. Best of luck everyone!

Thats the one, cheers, mine is on the 26th but doing a course in Athlone on Sunday to refresh on it. Best of luck everyone!

any chance you could pm which course your getting?

Does anyone have a link to the form we need to email off before the 5th or 6th of June after we have applied for our position in the apptitude test? Link anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mc-panda

Please find requested link below:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/downloads/Stage_II_Application_Form.doc

If this does not work, proceed as follows:

(i) Go to www.publicjobs.ie.
    (ii) Click on "campaign updates" (on upper left side of home page).
    (iii) Click on "In Progress Campaigns" (underlined and in blue text).
    (iv) Scroll down to "Garda Trainee May 2008".
    (v) You will find it here along with other supporting documentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭karlokarl

Hey kerry4sam, I sent you a pm. Just wondering if you could pm me the name of the book? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Its not the Special K Books is it? There supposed to be the best!

Its not the special k Books is it? There supposed to be the best!

dunno if you can mention that?

Um edited:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭horse1

Hi kerry4sam,

could you pm me aswel with the name of the book. thanks

karlokarl wrote: »
    Hey kerry4sam, I sent you a pm. Just wondering if you could pm me the name of the book? Thanks!
    horse1 wrote: »
    Hi kerry4sam,

could you pm me aswel with the name of the book. thanks

Just sent you both on a PM :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Just sent you both on a PM :)

hey kerry would you mind sending me on the name of the book too please :D

soundlad wrote: »
    hey kerry would you mind sending me on the name of the book too please :D

soundlad just sent you on a PM :)

I don't think their will be need for one being honest with you ... They tell you when you've a few minutes to go and they have two fairly big clocks at the front of the hall should you have the time to look up from your papers :D I don't remember looking up for sectionB at all and jump when he said "TIME" as i was just on the last question and answered it but for A then I watched the clock count-down :) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Crap crap crap, rang this morning to sort out a date for aptitude test to be told that all the slots are gone & i have to wait until July :(
    Now, before anyone jumps in & says i should have rang them on Wednesday i couldn't i was trying to arrange a child minder for the day before i rang so that if i got an appointment i wouldn't have to change it!
    :eek:

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Crap crap crap, rang this morning to sort out a date for aptitude test to be told that all the slots are gone & i have to wait until July :(
    Now, before anyone jumps in & says i should have rang them on Wednesday i couldn't i was trying to arrange a child minder for the day before i rang so that if i got an appointment i wouldn't have to change it!
    :eek:

Ah no, sorry to hear it, i rang yesterday and could only get a place in Dublin, but yer one on the phone said places were booking up quick...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

i thought the only place you could do them was dublin!!

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    i thought the only place you could do them was dublin!!

it is!

soundlad just sent you on a PM :)

you should start charging them!:D

it is!

Really? Mine was in Mountmellick 2 years ago.... Which i failed obviously!

Really? Mine was in Mountmellick 2 years ago.... Which i failed obviously!

i think last year was the first year in a while they were brought back to dublin.
    they are in chapter house this time as opposed to parnell sq last year

you should start charging them!:D

I should be on some sort of commission :p

Crap crap crap, rang this morning to sort out a date for aptitude test to be told that all the slots are gone & i have to wait until July :(...

Ah jeez man, sorry to hear that ... At least you don't have long to wait though :)

Crap crap crap, rang this morning to sort out a date for aptitude test to be told that all the slots are gone & i have to wait until July :( ...

Larger numbers than anticipated applied ... I've never heard about this happening before ... Does that mean they are re-opening the campaign in July or just taking on the people who signed up in May i wonder :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Larger numbers than anticipated applied ... I've never heard about this happening before ... Does that mean they are re-opening the campaign in July or just taking on the people who signed up in May i wonder :confused:

the downturn in the economy seems to be pushing up the demand for secure jobs such as an GS it seems !

• Advertisement

I was given to understand it was only the May leftovers :(
    Wonder do i still need to send that form in by June 5th?
    Going to do it anyway and send an explanatory email with it, better be safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 daisey

I was given to understand it was only the May leftovers :(
    Wonder do i still need to send that form in by June 5th?
    Going to do it anyway and send an explanatory email with it, better be safe than sorry
    hey angelfire have you booked your test or do you have to wait for the next time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

so whens your aptiudes starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

soundlad wrote: »
    Just booked my test for the 14th of June. The first three days are booked up already. now to the joins of filling up form b. Its so hard to come up with scenarios :(

best of luck man..hopefully ull get in this time :)

Celtic07 wrote: »
    so whens your aptiudes starting?

ha mine is on friday the 13th :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭The Dude 87

Hi guys, rang up wednesday morning first thing and got monday 9th at 10 am. Happy days......hopefully pass it this time!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Hi i rang up this morning. Was told that all places were full up and that i would be put on a stand by priority list. Does that mean if someone cancels or will there be another slot in a few weeks??

LeoGilly wrote: »
    Hi i rang up this morning. Was told that all places were full up and that i would be put on a stand by priority list. Does that mean if someone cancels or will there be another slot in a few weeks??

id imagined that ya if you have put your name down and someone cancels then it would be logical for them to cantact you. you should ring PAS and ask them about this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭soundlad

Celtic07 wrote: »
    best of luck man..hopefully ull get in this time :)

cheers celtic . hopefully be lucky this time. how did ur week go. u doing anything excitin down there yet

I was given to understand it was only the May leftovers :(...

cheers man, thought as much alright :)

daisey wrote: »
    hey angelfire have you booked your test or do you have to wait for the next time?
    No, i have to wait until July

LeoGilly wrote: »
    I was told they wouldn't do this, but that i'd have first preference for the next sittings! (which are in July)

• Advertisement
Advertisement