Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Cheers edburg, I'm in Dublin. I am picking the car up next week after or gets its nct so will post pics then. Can you recommend any bodyshops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Cheers edburg, I'm in Dublin. I am picking the car up next week after or gets its nct so will post pics then. Can you recommend any bodyshops?

Not for Dublin sorry, I am based in Cork countryside. I know a couple good painters but cost of getting car there and his work etc may make job uneconomical.

Plenty lads about Dublin will hopefully drop a couple names hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That's a good price. Will the c120 attachments fit, esp the hose (after buying a new 60 euro hose).

I take it the c120 is out of production?

I have no idea about the hoses as I don't use one of those but I would only assume they should fit dine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Question... How do you get hay out of carpet interior?

Hoover wouldn't lift it. Trying to clean the interior of parents octavia

Cheers
    Mick

If it has a velcro carpet like my Superb then it aint easy:D.

I ended up picking dog hairs one by one today!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Hi Folks,

I've just bought an 01 BMW, car is mint for its age but there is the odd scratch or two and a small dent on the boot, also a very small bit of rust on the front wheel arch. Also the black outline of the sunroof is peeled off in places.

If you mean having the sunroof resealed I had looked into this on mine and was told around €300.

• Advertisement

Question... How do you get hay out of carpet interior?

Hoover wouldn't lift it. Trying to clean the interior of parents octavia

Cheers
    Mick

Best way, as mentioned, would be to hand pick it, have the hover going along beside so it gets sucked up straight away.

You could also try putting sellotape around your hand to pick up smaller pieces, or a lint roller.

No I mean the black paint on the metal edge around the glass of the sunroof is peeled in diff spots revealing the metalic steel, so I was hoping to get the edge repainted.

No I mean the black paint on the metal edge around the glass of the sunroof is peeled in diff spots revealing the metalic steel, so I was hoping to get the edge repainted.

remove the sunroof and do it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Am looking to put my car in for a full valet soon, one of the places I checked out charge 90 quid which consists of:

Hand wash, chamois dry, complete interior valet, seats and carpet shampoo, interior vacuum including boot, dashboard and console cleaned, machine wax, tar removal, matt wash (?), wheels polished and sealed, tyre gel, windows cleaned and sealed and air freshener.

Would that be a considered a decent valet or could I do better for a similar price ?

Am looking to put my car in for a full valet soon, one of the places I checked out charge 90 quid which consists of:

Hand wash, chamois dry, complete interior valet, seats and carpet shampoo, interior vacuum including boot, dashboard and console cleaned, machine wax, tar removal, matt wash (?), wheels polished and sealed, tyre gel, windows cleaned and sealed and air freshener.

Would that be a considered a decent valet or could I do better for a similar price ?

Seems cheap if that machine wax bit is actually a good polish then wax applied, plus matt wash bit needs explaining, is it bloke called matt that washes it maybe?? :P

If done right your on to a winner, I know pro detailers who charge minimum 3 times that for a session.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever use car cosmetix in sandyford? Opinions on their work/prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Anyone ever use car cosmetix in sandyford? Opinions on their work/prices?

Take a look at the last 3 pages here: http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=2262&page=3

That's shockingly poor, looks like they just painted over the rust.

Did that BMW owner sleep with the mans wife/daughter or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Depends on products your using.

I clean off using windolean then use auto glym or similar and apply with applicator and then use micro fibre.

I've used many types of window cleaning products and generally the result is the same....my glass is clean but the microfibre cloths I use leave behind lint.

I am fussy, but surely I can do better with the right cloth.

Does detailing shed have anything I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The reason your MF cloths leave lint is because you are washing and drying them with clothes or towels.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Fiesta

Honestly I don't. Never.

Tried unused new ones. Same.

The lint I'm talking about is very fine, but is there.

What do you use?

I use Gtechniq Zero-R microfibre cloths. I always wash them separately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fiesta wrote: »
    Honestly I don't. Never.

What do you use?
    You have to wash the mf cloths before use i think

How should they be washed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

How should they be washed ?

Larry from Ammo NYC has a video about it here

• Advertisement

Fiesta wrote: »
    Honestly I don't. Never.

What do you use?

Can you show us the cloths your buying??

Anyone have a good APC that I could pick up locally around Cork today?

Anyone have a good APC that I could pick up locally around Cork today?

Supermarket
    Flash APC

Tesco = Daisy APC

Lidl or Aldi?

vectra wrote: »
    Supermarket
    Flash APC

Tesco = Daisy APC

Lidl or Aldi?

That's perfect, wasn't sure was there like detailing specific ones or would they do, will pick one up now.

Lidl one is less than €1 for 1 litre. Nice choice of scents too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Lidl one is less than €1 for 1 litre. Nice choice of scents too

That's the one i used after vectra's recommendation and it worked perfectly. Cheap and cheerful!

If you look at something like chemical guys apc, it costs about €20 per litre; I can't see any difference other than brand. Maybe a nicer smell?

With stuff like wax, alot of the more expensive stuff seem to be better bit the APC seems like a bit of a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

So I've been thinking... Autoglym make a special wax you can use when your car is wet. So basically, after you wash it, you can spray their wet wax on as you're drying your car with your towel. It'll help dry your car big time, separate microfibre to buff it after and you have quickly applied a bit of shine to your motor!

I think it's quite good, but a bit pricey.

Aldi have a waterless wash and wax, I'm wondering if it's the same thing?! Could I apply it to the car after I've rinsed it, and use it to help dispel the water? I'd never use it on a dry car, but wondering if it would be any good as a quick wet wax?

Bandito909 wrote: »
    So I've been thinking... Autoglym make a special wax you can use when your car is wet. So basically, after you wash it, you can spray their wet wax on as you're drying your car with your towel.

Orchard Autocare Perfection from Detailingshed would be my first choice.

I sometimes dilute it 50/50 and lightly spray the car while wet and just towel dry it.
    Super job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Gave mine a good wash today, the chemical guys carnuba wax I put on a month ago is still working away amazingly. Although now that my car is parked in an underground carpark, it tends not to see too much rain so I'd guess that helps a lot! Also managed to slightly curb one of my rear wheels. Nothing too bad, but still raging. I guess I've had the wheels a year and a half now, some minor damage is to be expected eventually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Gave mine a good wash today, the chemical guys carnuba wax I put on a month ago is still working away amazingly. Although now that my car is parked in an underground carpark, it tends not to see too much rain so I'd guess that helps a lot! Also managed to slightly curb one of my rear wheels. Nothing too bad, but still raging. I guess I've had the wheels a year and a half now, some minor damage is to be expected eventually!

Wheel wizards in finglas would sort you out, if you wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wheel wizards in finglas would sort you out, if you wanted

The damage is very slight, and the wheels are BBS bought new 1.5 years ago, so I'd rather not compromise the original finish too soon. Maybe further on down the line I'd consider it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A quick question guys/gals I'm trying to keep the car shiny like new only have it a week but it's starting to get dirty in certain parts (front bumper) etc Is there any product I can use that will keep it shiny?? It was waxed/shined with diamond bright before I got it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Wash it using the two bucket method, with a good wash mitt and pH neutral shampoo. A good microfiber drying towel is also advised.
    Regular washing, using the correct technique, will keep it looking very well for months.

If that diamond bright is same stuff optioned on hyundai dealers then imo it ain't up to much.

Be better using one of the well known brands of sealant/wax.

Bilthamber finis-wax is a good wax and decent price. Heard good stuff about the double speed wax to.

Used autobrite nano seal on my black insignia, looking good so far. Only been on a few weeks.

Regular wash with good shampoo to, not fairy liquid some people I know use lol

• Advertisement

Just browsing on Detailing Shed there and wondering what is the difference between the Belt Hamber Auto Mitt & Chemical Guys Chenille Wash Mitt ?

The both look very different to each other but i'm assuming they do the same thing obviously.

http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/111-bilt-hamber-auto-mitt.html

http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/59-chemical-guys-chenille-wash-mitt.html

They do the same thing - I personally prefer a microfiber mitt (so the Bilt Hamber Auto Mitt out of the two you linked), over the noodle mitt, as I feel there is more pile for dirt and grit to be absorbed into, keeping it away from the surface of the paintwork, and thus limiting swirls.
    Some people prefer the noodle mitts, others prefer lambswool, and others a microfiber.
    Bilt Hamber Auto Mitt or Microfiber Madness Incredimitt would be the two I'd choose, with the Incredimitt just pipping it, as its double sided and has a built in sponge to hold extra shampoo & water.

Incredimitt Al day over the others.
    Best one I have used a mile.

Lads, could I get a step by step breakdown of the correct procedure to have the car ready for a machine correction/polish.

Would I be right in saying it's something like this:

Wheels
    Rinse Car
    2 Bucket Wash
    Rinse Car
    Clay
    Fallout/Tar/Iron Removers
    Rinse
    Dry
    Compound
    Medium Polish
    Light Polish
    Clean with IPA or the Like
    Glaze
    Seal
    Wax

Is that the correct order? Is there something I'm missing?

Lads, could I get a step by step breakdown of the correct procedure to have the car ready for a machine correction/polish.

Would I be right in saying it's something like this:

Wheels
    Rinse Car
    2 Bucket Wash
    Rinse Car
    Clay
    Fallout/Tar/Iron Removers
    Rinse
    Dry
    Compound
    Medium Polish
    Light Polish
    Clean with IPA or the Like
    Glaze
    Seal
    Wax

Is that the correct order? Is there something I'm missing?

You shouldn't need to glaze after machine polishing.

• Advertisement

Tar and Iron Fallout removers before claying! ;)

A glaze is basically like a filler so as vectra said, it's not needed if the machine polishing is done properly :P

Well, it might be.
    100% correction may not be his intention, nor achievable, or it might be risky to try achieve it, so even if he were to compound, polish and refine it, he might still be left with defects he wants to hide; so a glaze might be a step in the process! ;)

Good point......I'll just retreat back into my corner now..... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

Curran, had you any further feedback, positive or negative, on the BH claybar? I'm gonna need to clay my car in a couple of weeks, but after my experience with the BH one I'm almost reluctant to use that one again! Are the other brands any different?

Thanks for the information lads! Just need to pick up a few more things before I go at it!

Good point......I'll just retreat back into my corner now..... :o

Make room for me :)

Curran wrote: »
    Wash it using the two bucket method, with a good wash mitt and pH neutral shampoo. A good microfiber drying towel is also advised.
    Regular washing, using the correct technique, will keep it looking very well for months.

I'm interested in the Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy towel as several people have recommended it here. Detailing Shed sells them but there's no mention of the size. Does anyone know the dimensions of the towel that's for sale on detailing shed by any chance? (ahem...cough.....curran)

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good tyre cleaner please?. Like a tyre foam or something like that to get them properly clean before I apply tyre dressing. Thanks

The Dry Me Crazy towel is big enough that you can fold it twice and 1/8 of it can dry the roof, bonnet and bootlid. It.Is.Superb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement