Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Eoineo wrote: »
    Are you sure about the full bladder???? I by accident had a full bladder at my anomaly scan and the sonographer was very unimpressed as it squished everything up on the baby. They used to recommend a full bladder up until 20 weeks but now with the newer machines they say once you're past 12 weeks you're grand.

Yeah, for the anomaly scan you're grand, I didn't have a full bladder for that. But the 34 week one is to check the location of the placenta....and she told me that I have to have a full bladder for it...she said if I can't hold it then I can't hold it, but try if I can :D But she went and put it on the print out report 'has been advised to return with a full bladder' so now if I turn up with an empty one I'm going to look like I just ignored her request :D

I wouldn't mind but as it's to do with the location of the placenta it may involve a vaginal scan...now surely that and a full bladder is just tempting fate? :o:o

Avril123 wrote: »
    I had a private scan done when I was 7 weeks pregnant and was told to drink a litre of water before the scan...a litre..! So i did and I was waiting for an hour to be seen and I was in agony,nearly crying with the pressure on my back from all the water in my system so I went to the receptionist and she just kept telling me well empty your bladder a small bit, I was like a small bit, If i go I won't be able to stop!!! Anyway went a bit and managed to hold a bit in but ws still very uncomfortable and I am quite small so to be honest I shouldn't have had a lite of water..but I didn't know that so I was just doing as I was told, they don't consider the discomfort of having a full bladder while waiting for a scan and knowing that you can't go to the toilet, at the private scan i was going mad and pacing around the waiting room nearly crying and trying to sit down then having to get up again, the language out of me was shocking my poor boyfriend couldn't do a thing to make me relax :D

haahaa oh stop, I'd be the same. But once you know you can't go, it makes it so much more urgent.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

haahaa oh stop, I'd be the same. But once you know you can't go, it makes it so much more urgent.:D

Have you been into see the doctor yet in the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Does it happen in a lot of hospitals that you have to attend separately for doctor and midwife appointments? It seems like a shocking waste of resources to have women come in on two different occasions when surely they could fit both in on the same day (like they do in my hospital)?

Does it happen in a lot of hospitals that you have to attend separately for doctor and midwife appointments? It seems like a shocking waste of resources to have women come in on two different occasions when surely they could fit both in on the same day (like they do in my hospital)?

wat hospital are you attending? Yeah In Holles St I think you have to come in on different occasions

• Advertisement

Avril123 wrote: »
    Have you been into see the doctor yet in the hospital?
    Yeah I saw the hosp doc at 18 weeks. And I'm seeing them again on Monday, 25 weeks.

Cat for your first app with Holles st semi private you just see the midwife for bloods and history. Every other appointment is with the consultant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm going public in Kilkenny - I see the midwife first (usually a wait of about 1 - 1.5 hrs) who does general check-up (urine, 'how are you' chat, advise on various things like birth plan/pain relief/ breastfeeding/physio) and then wait about another half hour to see the consultant/registrar (who does BP, quick feel of bump, possible quick scan if any issues). I always see both each time. Every second appointment is with my own local GP (hospital is 30 miles away) who just checks urine & BP. I guess it's not too bad if you just have the one set of separate appointments - if it was every time I'd go mad!

I'm going public in Kilkenny - I see the midwife first (usually a wait of about 1 - 1.5 hrs) who does general check-up (urine, 'how are you' chat, advise on various things like birth plan/pain relief/ breastfeeding/physio) and then wait about another half hour to see the consultant/registrar (who does BP, quick feel of bump, possible quick scan if any issues). I always see both each time. Every second appointment is with my own local GP (hospital is 30 miles away) who just checks urine & BP. I guess it's not too bad if you just have the one set of separate appointments - if it was every time I'd go mad!

I have never once had a talk with a midwife or a consultant about a birth plan or anything like that. The midwives always check your weight and your urine when you go to see the consultant and then you wait to see the doc. Sorry I don't think I made that clear. Both the gp and the consultant only seem to be concerned about my bp (which is understandable) maybe it's up to me to ask the questions is it? :o

Oh btw...if anyone is feeling a little tired/sluggish lately....I started eating kiwis last week and they have really made a huge difference! I googled before I got them and most sites say they're safe to eat, some say they're not in case baby is allergic, so just bear that in mind. But I couldn't recommend them highly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have never once had a talk with a midwife or a consultant about a birth plan or anything like that. The midwives always check your weight and your urine when you go to see the consultant and then you wait to see the doc. Sorry I don't think I made that clear. Both the gp and the consultant only seem to be concerned about my bp (which is understandable) maybe it's up to me to ask the questions is it? :o

They usually don't ask unless you've filled it in, in the section of your chart. . and then not until closer to your due date. . in drogheda you pick up your chart and as according to where you are in the pile of charts you get the bp and urine done then back into the same line-up for the consultant. .Thank god i've only ever had my wieght checked once. . i'm phobic about scales:D

So its 29 weeks done 30 starts tomorrow. . .and i'm officially off dairy for the rest of the pregnancy.. :( boo and as soon as baby is out i've to go for the rest of my testing. They're all of the opinion that it's the dairy that's pushing up the blood sugars . . . :rolleyes: have to say since i'm off it my energy has shot up ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I had been really frustrated lately about my other half not being able to feel any of the babys kicks when he puts his hand on my belly. It's like the child knows he's there and just stops every time. That was until last night, my OH decided to see if he could hear anything going on in the bump - finally after about 2 mins of listening, he got a kick in the ear for himself. It's like the baby knew exactly where to aim! :D
    We laughed a lot. Now finally he got to experience what I have been experiencing the past few weeks. He was so chuffed :)

cbyrd wrote: »
    They usually don't ask unless you've filled it in, in the section of your chart. . and then not until closer to your due date. . in drogheda you pick up your chart and as according to where you are in the pile of charts you get the bp and urine done then back into the same line-up for the consultant. .Thank god i've only ever had my wieght checked once. . i'm phobic about scales:D

So its 29 weeks done 30 starts tomorrow. . .and i'm officially off dairy for the rest of the pregnancy.. :( boo and as soon as baby is out i've to go for the rest of my testing. They're all of the opinion that it's the dairy that's pushing up the blood sugars . . . :rolleyes: have to say since i'm off it my energy has shot up ..

Awww week 30, you're in the final countdown now :D Is it difficult trying to find non dairy stuff? Do you have to take any extra vitamins? That's great about the energy though. Amazing how something as simple as that can make a huge difference!
    I had been really frustrated lately about my other half not being able to feel any of the babys kicks when he puts his hand on my belly. It's like the child knows he's there and just stops every time. That was until last night, my OH decided to see if he could hear anything going on in the bump - finally after about 2 mins of listening, he got a kick in the ear for himself. It's like the baby knew exactly where to aim! :D
    We laughed a lot. Now finally he got to experience what I have been experiencing the past few weeks. He was so chuffed :)

haahaa that is so cute! The other night there was a head or a bum sticking out of my belly and everytime I rubbed it baby kicked...so i called the hubby over and he felt it too...so we kept doing it...properly drove the poor thing nuts :o:D

So haven't felt much kicking the last couple of days but could feel baby moving around when I put my hand on my stomach and could see my bump actually moving.. :D But not getting kicked as much now, is this normal and has anyone else been the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

I'd say it depends on the baby's position - if it's facing towards your back it's possible the kicks are being absorbed. So long as you are feeling/seeing some movements I'm sure everything is ok. I'm getting jabs very low down this evening-sore!!!

KayTee wrote: »
    I'd say it depends on the baby's position - if it's facing towards your back it's possible the kicks are being absorbed. So long as you are feeling/seeing some movements I'm sure everything is ok. I'm getting jabs very low down this evening-sore!!!

Yeah actually started getting some kicks earlier on which i was delighted with, also seeing my stomach move as well which is great

I'd agree with KayTee, Avril, if the baby's turned the wrong way, it's harder to feel them. Though I know it gets a bit worrying. Last week I hadn't felt anything for days, so much so I was going to go to the hosp if it hadn't moved soon. Thurs it was back jumping around. Normally I wouldn't really panic, but this baby is particularly active, so when it was quiet for a few days I got a bit worried.

Glad s/he started moving again, it's so difficult trying to keep track of them, but I'm delighted you're feeling it now.

This might seem like a bit of a stupid question but can you wear fake tan when pregnant? I don't intend to rub it over my bump just on my arms which slightly sunburnt thanks to the gorgeous weather we had the other day and on my neck and face,

Gosh I hope so Avril, it's the only thing that makes me feel somewhat human the last few weeks!!

lol I haven't put it on in ages and am heading out tonight and just want to put it on my shoulders, face and nek :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I started feeling kicks yesterday. One or two gentle bumps. Today I'm feeling even more - might be due to the fact that I'm almost waiting for them. It feels so weird! I'm just hitting 17 weeks on my first pregnancy so this is all so new to me! :-D

• Advertisement

It's a fab feeling nicowa- enjoy it!

I think my baby will not be born in the normal way but will burst out my left side from the amount of jabs I am getting there today!

I had one of those "Body is alseep but mind is awake" experiences last night, The only thing i could move slightly was my left hand and I was trying to hit my boyfriend with my hand to wake him up but I could only barely touch him and I kept trying to say his name but couldn't really move my lips so trying to say his name was really hard and I could only mumble it and the weird thing is that I could feel the baby on my left side really pushing against me as if it was trying to shove it's whole body out my left side, It was really weird and there was nothing I could do, really freaked me out !! Has anyone else experienced this while pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

visit to doc today cos have sore throat and he checked and i was able hear the babys heartbeat!! first time. everytime i think of it a smile just comes across my face. 14 weeks 3 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I made the big mistake of watching the programme on bbc last night about the belfast maternity hospital. . . i have just managed to freak myself out. .. the thoughts of labour again. . :eek: i've done it 3 times. .. i know the drill. . but that's the problem.. it's so fresh in my mind..:( maybe i'm just tired, . .

I don't know the drill at all as this is my first and I am so nervous!! :D

grrr had the appointment from hell at Holles St yest. Arrived from my app at 3, was handed a queuing number 36, they were only on number 12! The doc had been called away on an emergency and the nurse just let the queue build up! When she finally called another doc, he started seeing the wrong patients, so the other consultant's patients were all out in 5 mins and we were all still waiting! The Admin lady, finally took control, went over to the hosp and dragged over about 5 docs, so I was finally seen at 4.20.

Anyhow, saw this absolutely nightmare of a doctor. My bp has been creeping up, so the GP wanted the hosp to make the call as to whether put me on meds or not. I gave the doc a list of my home readings and she says 'sometimes the automatic machines like the one you have at home aren't accurate'...I asked not accurate as in too high or too low? She says 'Just not accurate! Like I was a 5 year old child! So that was wrong footing with me straight off.:D

She had a list of my home readings, a list of my gp readings and a list of the hospital readings, but she still wants me to go for BP monitoring! How many flippin readings does she need :eek: She wanted me to come back on Thurs, I said I couldnt, I'd come back on MOnday...omg she basically said I've no consideration for my baby and both of us face the possibility of dying if I don't get the BP monitoring on Thurs! :rolleyes: I should say at this point, my bp is borderline....it's not high, it's not low, it's tinkering on the cusp, and was most likely raised yesterday because of the long wait! If it was through the roof I could understand. I'd say it was bloomin through the roof by the time I was finished with her though lol.:D Also, she did a quick scan of baby, which is measuring fine for dates, urine is clear of protein and I've no other issues whatsoever!

She was an ill-mannered jumped up little pain in the backside and I went through her for a short cut! Anyhow I told her I'd be back on Monday, that was that, grabbed me file and stormed out :o

grrr had the appointment from hell at Holles St yest. Arrived from my app at 3, was handed a queuing number 36, they were only on number 12! The doc had been called away on an emergency and the nurse just let the queue build up! When she finally called another doc, he started seeing the wrong patients, so the other consultant's patients were all out in 5 mins and we were all still waiting! The Admin lady, finally took control, went over to the hosp and dragged over about 5 docs, so I was finally seen at 4.20.

Anyhow, saw this absolutely nightmare of a doctor. My bp has been creeping up, so the GP wanted the hosp to make the call as to whether put me on meds or not. I gave the doc a list of my home readings and she says 'sometimes the automatic machines like the one you have at home aren't accurate'...I asked not accurate as in too high or too low? She says 'Just not accurate! Like I was a 5 year old child! So that was wrong footing with me straight off.:D

She had a list of my home readings, a list of my gp readings and a list of the hospital readings, but she still wants me to go for BP monitoring! How many flippin readings does she need :eek: She wanted me to come back on Thurs, I said I couldnt, I'd come back on MOnday...omg she basically said I've no consideration for my baby and both of us face the possibility of dying if I don't get the BP monitoring on Thurs! :rolleyes: I should say at this point, my bp is borderline....it's not high, it's not low, it's tinkering on the cusp, and was most likely raised yesterday because of the long wait! If it was through the roof I could understand. I'd say it was bloomin through the roof by the time I was finished with her though lol.:D Also, she did a quick scan of baby, which is measuring fine for dates, urine is clear of protein and I've no other issues whatsoever!

She was an ill-mannered jumped up little pain in the backside and I went through her for a short cut! Anyhow I told her I'd be back on Monday, that was that, grabbed me file and stormed out :o

That is shocking !! I would have complained about her, They can be so rude !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lazuli

HI Girls

I recently came across an information evening for mums (it was advertised on Sat in the paper) to be to help them with the final trimester. If you want more information you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hannibal Smith, what a day from hell. It always made me laugh when they took your blood pressure after rushing down you lunch, driving across town to the hospital, queuing up and being ferried from one place to the other, finally sitting down and being told, 'Your blood pressure is a little raised, any reason for that?'

Your experience made me think of the doctor I had to see on one visit. She was so short with me, if she could answer in a 1/2 syllable she did.

When my waters broke, it was her they called to examine me. The look of horror on my face when she said she was going to examine me. When she realised all my waters were gone and I was actually going to have my baby she was so sweet. Did everything she could for me and was really reassuring, in her own way. I think she just hated doing the clinic!

• Advertisement

I was all ready to complain Avril, I was fit to get her struck off :D but then I thought, maybe I should wait till after baby is born and after reading WMPDD3's post, I think I'll stick with that plan :D

They listen to nothing you say, it annoys me so much. They fly off on a complete tangent of what it might be etc and try and pigeon hole you into their list of illnesses, instead of looking at my file and my facts and realising it's just borderline bp. They're afraid of their lives it's pre-eclampsia....it's not, it's my natural bp creeping up, just like it did in the last pregnancy. Fair enough the last pregnancy it did develop into pre-eclampsia, but that was at week 36, when my bp went sky high. They were doing all they could to keep the bottom line below 100 ffs...the other day it was 140/80. If they think that's high, they ain't seen nothin yet :D

This is my pregnancy, I'm the one in charge, so they'd better fall in bloomin line with me! :D

Advertisement