Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Looking forward to the minor match now. Pretty protracted stuff from Limerick and Galway minors, with neither really looking like they wanted it, but Galway just showing a tiny bit to take it in the end. One thing I was surprised with was the difference of the refereeing in both this and last weeks games. Last week you could not even brush against a player without coughing up a free, while this week you probably would have had to almost take off someones head to earn any attention from the ref. A little bit of consistency would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Chinpool wrote: »
    Fcuk that forever. Limerick were absolutely shocking as much as Clare played well

He deserves an awful lot of credit for what Clare have achieved this year.

But having had him as manager before, and experiencing that, I still wouldn't be in favour of him coming back even if you paid me. Not that that will ever be on the cards anyway.

Waterford v Galway, Clare v Cork the all-ireland final pairings. Nice for some sort of change. Funnily, the underdog won in all of the all-ireland semis this year from those two grades. What a year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Field Master

Any word on a new manager? I would like to see Derek McGrath get the job with Alan Kelly as a selector, Mullane would definitely come back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Any word on a new manager? I would like to see Derek McGrath get the job with Alan Kelly as a selector, Mullane would definitely come back next year.

Mullane won't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Field Master

STIG83 wrote: »
    Mullane won't come back.

Probably not now. pity. onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Not nice.
    Stop stiring it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 Hurler golfer

Easy hide behind computer with posts like that

doz wrote: »
    I didn't mean to belittle their victories as they have put up very impressive scores but you would have to question what is going on at Ballygunner and whether Roanmore should be playing senior at all. Dungarvan and Passage put big scores past them already and Mount Sion likely to do the same in the last round.

You would expect a big display from Ballygunner tonight but Dungarvan are going well and will smell blood.

Well they got their big display in the end. So all to play for next weekend. Love the club championship I have to say.

Roanmore only lost to Passage by 4 points, but I agree they're struggling. Pity because the year they won the Intermediate they also won the Junior (Senior attached) so it seemed like the club was progressing well in many aspects. They also have teams competing in the higher divisions of underage always, but I guess theres a lot of competition ffor getting young players out that way with both Mount Sion and De La Salle nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Ballygunner played brilliant hurling for 50 mins tonight, Sok was outstanding in goal, brian o' sullivan and paudie mahony scored a lot from open play too, philip mahony back from the states covered a lot of ground with shane o sullivan also. Dungarvan only got into it in the last 10mins, the scoreline flatters them really. Gavin Crotty sent off for 2 yellows. Jamie Nagle their stand out player imo. Still a very young team, after losing their whole full back line from last years championship but the younger players have great potential.
    Next sunday night in fraher promises to be an unreal encounter, winner takes all between Dungarvan and Abbeyside should expect to gather a huge crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

doz wrote: »
    If you were to select the candidate with the most intercounty experience from within the county then he would certainly be at the top of the list. Did a decent job with Carlow in my view and John Meyler has continued his good work. I could be wrong but I believe he has gone for the job before and not been chosen. I would certainly rather him than some of the other names within the county being bandied around at the moment.

A lot of Wexford people will tell you that the biggest mistake they made was getting rid of John Meyler. Seemingly one of the county board went ahead and got a replacement for Meyler without consulting anyone else. A lot of people felt Meyler was on the tight track with Wexford, seemingly he was sacked because Kilkenny beat them by 10 points and that was seen as unacceptable, even though the same year Kilkenny beat everyone else by 10 points as well. :rolleyes:
    Also in relation to player power, I don't think Michael Ryan can get back the dressing room without getting rid of some of the players who went against him. If a certain inter county star decided not to play this season because Ryan was in charge, then Loughnane's comments were spot on, no player is bigger than the county.
    Also, when Liam Griffin was in charge of Wexford, players from the biggest club in the county had issue with him over team selection and tactics and refused to play for him, so he said fine, you're not playing. went on to be proven correct and won the AI. Now, I am not comparing Michael Ryan to Liam Griffin, but the boss is always the boss.
    I have heard this sniping of Michael Ryan all season, that he is not a real hurling man etc etc. The same could be argued about the fella over the Wexford U21's and I know there is a bot of grief about him being involved as it is starting to look like he is the heir apparent to Liam Dunne. I think also some people are forgetting that this is not the first blowup with this manager and panel, there was also the issue last year where they did not want Brother Ryan coaching them, (as good a hurling man as you could find) remember, that is how Ken McGrath ended up getting involved as a selector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

If I remember right Br Ryan went on record after he resigned to say he gave it his best but he under estimated the job and he was nt able for it, thus proving the players right. Thats when Ken came in ans saved us from regalation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

If I remember right Br Ryan went on record after he resigned to say he gave it his best but he under estimated the job and he was nt able for it, thus proving the players right. Thats when Ken came in ans saved us from regalation.

My recollection is he said he could took him as far as he could, and felt limited in his abilities

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Galway winning in extra time was the worst possible result for Waterford, imo, as it gave them a vital extra 20 minutes playing at the required level. Limerick started very well, but once Galway got up to the pace of the game Limerick became very nervy, and their first touch deserted them. Not that Galway were much better in this respect in a game full of errors. The state of the pitch may have have something to do with it. The grass seemed to be too short, with players finding it difficult to lift the ball or judge the bounce, while a lot of the sideline pucks were poor.

I thought that Galway were the better team for the first 20 minutes of the second half, but were unable to pull ahead, and Limerick came back strong in the last 10 minutes, displaying the benefits of having already played three hard games. The incorrect Hawkeye judgement against them was amazing, as the ball clearly was inside the post. Is this judgement made electronically, or is there a fourth official who looks at the video and makes the call? However, the referee Feargal Horgan gave them plenty of additional time, and a handy free, to level things up at the end of normal time. I sincerely hope this guy is not appointed to the final, based on his earlier displays with Waterford involved, while today he missed an awful lot of frees and at one stage seemed to forget that there were any rules at all.

In extra time Galway finally made their greater physicality tell to pull away. They did the same in extra time against Clare a couple of years ago. Their centre back was very influential but their full back line was never put under any real pressure and their full forward line made little impact. However, they are likely to come on a lot, not only from just winning this game, but from the extra game time they got.

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Galway winning in extra time was the worst possible result for Waterford, imo, as it gave them a vital extra 20 minutes playing at the required level. Limerick started very well, but once Galway got up to the pace of the game Limerick became very nervy, and their first touch deserted them. Not that Galway were much better in this respect in a game full of errors. The state of the pitch may have have something to do with it. The grass seemed to be too short, with players finding it difficult to lift the ball or judge the bounce, while a lot of the sideline pucks were poor.

What about if it had gone to a replay? To be honest, won't read too much into 20 mins extra hurling.

What I'd be more worried about, is they should know more about us than we know about them, and then was pretty telling in the replayed Munster final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

What about if it had gone to a replay? To be honest, won't read too much into 20 mins extra hurling.

What I'd be more worried about, is they should know more about us than we know about them, and then was pretty telling in the replayed Munster final.

Not a vintage minor team like ones they've had in the past tho. More collectively good than individually while I think were quite the opposite. I really feel theres an AI there for us well never get a better chance

robopaddy wrote: »
    Not a vintage minor team like ones they've had in the past tho. More collectively good than individually while I think were quite the opposite. I really feel theres an AI there for us well never get a better chance

Not a phrase I like but its a grea opportunity no doubt.

And we've had far more games. Would be a really great day to win an all-ireland, was just shy of being born the last time we won one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I feel Waterford could win this alright from the glimpses I have seen of both teams. Two very good centre backs on both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

Mullane won't come back.

Looks like he is out for the year from the recent injury sustained and that will give him plenty of time to continue with the pen or maybe direct someone to write for him

Not a phrase I like but its a grea opportunity no doubt.

And we've had far more games. Would be a really great day to win an all-ireland, was just shy of being born the last time we won one.

I know we dont need to put any extra pressure on but I hope its drilled into these lads that if they play like they can theres an All Ireland there for the taking for them. Galway are good but we should not fear them and its high time Waterford teams started going into these games beleiving we can win them, because Galway always will, at underage anyway thats for sure.

Looking at Limerick yesterday while I think they were unlucky with the hawk-eye thing I thought they are a limited enough bunch when it comes down to it. Have some lovely hurlers no doubt and had an awful lot of preperation done (I notice as many men on the backroom staff as subs nearly) but pound for pound I think we are a better team. We definetly threw it away against them the first day and were a bit deflated in the replay they peaked on the night and were always going to have the psychological adavantage after how the first game ended up. The lads could end up regretting that for a long time unless they can get the big one in 3 weeks time, all will be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

I feel Waterford could win this alright from the glimpses I have seen of both teams. Two very good centre backs on both teams.

Scores will be hard to come by if each team has two centre backs.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

I know we dont need to put any extra pressure on but I hope its drilled into these lads that if they play like they can theres an All Ireland there for the taking for them. Galway are good but we should not fear them and its high time Waterford teams started going into these games beleiving we can win them, because Galway always will, at underage anyway thats for sure.

Looking at Limerick yesterday while I think they were unlucky with the hawk-eye thing I thought they are a limited enough bunch when it comes down to it. Have some lovely hurlers no doubt and had an awful lot of preperation done (I notice as many men on the backroom staff as subs nearly) but pound for pound I think we are a better team. We definetly threw it away against them the first day and were a bit deflated in the replay they peaked on the night and were always going to have the psychological adavantage after how the first game ended up. The lads could end up regretting that for a long time unless they can get the big one in 3 weeks time, all will be forgotten.

I taught Limericks centre back was outstanding. I also remember thinking the very same of Galway in '92. It is all on the day, our lads are some of the best I have seen for a long time in a Waterford shirt but I feel the best is not being got out of them for some reason. They are due this fabled one big game lets hope it's in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I taught Limericks centre back was outstanding. I also remember thinking the very same of Galway in '92. It is all on the day, our lads are some of the best I have seen for a long time in a Waterford shirt but I feel the best is not being got out of them for some reason. They are due this fabled one big game lets hope it's in them.

That Galway centre back in 1992 was Conor O Donovan, lorded it that day MOTM performance. We just couldnt get the ball into Flynn that day, in the end Flynn was moved out to the half forward line but didnt have the desired impact.
    O'Donovan although outstanding that day never had any impact later at senior for Galway which was surprising as leaving Croke park after we were saying he looked a future all star.

carter10 wrote: »
    That Galway centre back in 1992 was Conor O Donovan, lorded it that day MOTM performance. We just couldnt get the ball into Flynn that day, in the end Flynn was moved out to the half forward line but didnt have the desired impact.
    O'Donovan although outstanding that day never had any impact later at senior for Galway which was surprising as leaving Croke park after we were saying he looked a future all star.

You never know with minors. Galway had a minor Karril Wade a good few years back he was the most outstanding minor I have ever seen in Croke Park (and I think Joe Canning was on the same minor team as a 15 year old) but I havent heard of him since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

You never know with minors. Galway had a minor Karril Wade a good few years back he was the most outstanding minor I have ever seen in Croke Park (and I think Joe Canning was on the same minor team as a 15 year old) but I havent heard of him since.

Wade played senior and was a free taker when loughnane was in charge I think, but ya he was only on the team for a year I think, think is is from sarsfields in Galway, Joe Conneys club I wonder what happened him, he is 27 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

noiniho wrote: »
    Wade played senior and was a free taker when loughnane was in charge I think, but ya he was only on the team for a year I think, think is is from sarsfields in Galway, Joe Conneys club I wonder what happened him, he is 27 now

Booze, fags and women is the default answer in this scenario :D

noiniho wrote: »

Didnt remember him playing senior... but I checked youtube (have a pretty boring monday!!) theres a video of the 2004 AI minor hurling final between Galway and KK the lad Wade gave an absolute exhibition especially in the first half never seen a performance like it. Worth a look

But my point being if someone had said to you at the time that he will never make it then youd think theyve lost their marbles so just goes to show a good minor dosent give any guarantees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Didnt remember him playing senior... but I checked youtube (have a pretty boring monday!!) theres a video of the 2004 AI minor hurling final between Galway and KK the lad Wade gave an absolute exhibition especially in the first half never seen a performance like it. Worth a look

But my point being if someone had said to you at the time that he will never make it then youd think theyve lost their marbles so just goes to show a good minor dosent give any guarantees

I had a look at that video just now and it was an absolute master class from Wade in the first half. John Lee is my cousin and I remember my uncle telling my father that this lad was going to win Galway the title long before the final was ever played. People were convinced the senior team would be invigorated by all this talent but as is the case with a lot of minor teams this was never realised. He was a precocious talent, sad he never made the inroads he should have with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

robman60 wrote: »
    John Lee is my cousin

Your cousin was fantastic underage too. At least it seemed to be his career that hampered his hurling than booze and women!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Advertisement

Big loss for Ballygunner. Tough blow for him as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement