Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Biggins wrote: »
    Is there anyone actually fooled by these "levy's"?

The government wants to cut down on the use of the word "tax" where possible so they try this minor PR wording stunt.

The only people they are fooling is themselves - but then given their low mental capacity - that comes as no surprise!

"A rose by any other name is still a rose" - or in this case a nettle ...and we all get stung!

Part of the reason they use levies is certainly to avoid the bad PR of raising taxes but there's also major practical complications with adjusting tax bands midway through a financial year.

With that said they should really axe the levies in December and adjust the tax bands accordingly but it looks like they're not going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Because there are roughly 166 people in the dail and 4 million not.
    You'll get more by taxing that 4 million than by making pointless, populist cuts into TD wages.

Cuts to TD wages may not make a shred of difference when it comes to taxes and the economy. But to see these feckless hypocrites all telling us solemnly that 'we're in this together' while the lot of them are paying themselves ridiculous wages is sickening. They are (unfortunately) elected public representatives. They have to start leading by example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Cuts to TD wages may not make a shred of difference when it comes to taxes and the economy. But to see these feckless hypocrites all telling us solemnly that 'we're in this together' while the lot of them are paying themselves ridiculous wages is sickening. They are (unfortunately) elected public representatives. They have to start leading by example.

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier.
    If they can be bothered to cut Christmas payments to the unemployed (I'm not defending the payments), the miserable money raking in schites should also contribute - but NO - only 12 of the whole lot have taken a cut.
    (Simple example: Jackie Healy O'Reay 89,000 in expenses last year on top of 80,000 in wages and additional perks)

One rule for them and one rule for the rest of us who are now getting heavier hammered to still pay their crazy wages, expenses and perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is it just me or does anyone else realize that the government are basically side-stepping the big bang theory. i.e There is a lot more pain yet to come but it owuld be impossible to do it all in one go otherwise there would be an uprising.

• Advertisement

I have to say that the budget wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I agree that something had to be done to get us out of this mess, however, it pisses me off greatly that everyone says tax the higher earners more but means test everything, meaning that the people who are paying for everything get none of it back! If they means test childrens allowance, I know I wont get it, if they means test college fees, I will have to pay for my child to go to college and yet my husband and I are paying high rates of tax, and for what?! I really don't mind paying tax at all, I just hate that people think it's ok for people on middle incomes to clean up the mess of the banks and to foot the bill for people who can't pay back their loans.

I have not caused any of this! I have a mortgage but no other loans, I own my car, my husband owns his, the only thing I have is a credit card which I do owe some money on, if it came to it I could pay that off in one go so no big deal, I just choose not to. I keep hearing "we were all greedy" "we were having two holidays a year" "we were buying things we couldn't afford" I wasn't greedy, yeh, I might have had two holidays a year but I paid for them with my own money, I didn't borrow off anyone for anything I bought so how is that greedy?

Anyhoo, I'm actually sick listening to the depression but I needed that little rant ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier.
    If they can be bothered to cut Christmas payments to the unemployed (I'm not defending the payments), the miserable money raking in schites should also contribute - but NO - only 12 of the whole lot have taken a cut.
    (Simple example: Jackie Healy O'Reay 89,000 in expenses last year on top of 80,000 in wages and additional perks)

One rule for them and one rule for the rest of us who are now getting heavier hammered to still pay their crazy wages, expenses and perks.

Surprisingly enough, one of his sons is being groomed to take over his seat at the next election - because he's getting too old to carry that heavy sack around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is it just me or does anyone else realize that the government are basically side-stepping the big bang theory. i.e There is a lot more pain yet to come but it would be impossible to do it all in one go otherwise there would be an uprising.

To bang me own drum - I have been saying this for weeks.
    They are doing it in phases as to limit at any one stage the uproar without it at any one time causing it to surpass a certain point and bring down the government.

Do it all in stages. Just when we get used to one bunch of cuts, taxes etc, etc... then comes the next lot... wait a few months, then comes the next lot again ...and again ...and again...

I'm off to France at the end of this month for four days on business - I'll be checking out properties while there.
    I'm getting the fcuk out with my family, of this country thats run by a gang of thugs, two-faced crooks and liars.

I know its bad there if not worse but at least the population there or elsewhere is not as complacent and more so get up off their collective asses and do something - anything - a lot more!

To steal a quote:
    "the government should be afraid of the people,
    - not the people afraid of the government!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm getting the fcuk out of this country with my family thats run by a gang of thugs, two-faces crooks and liars.

Jaysus, if I had a family that was run by a gang of thugs, two-faces crooks and liars, I'd probably leave them behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Fizman wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but how much was the dole Christmas bonus?
    It was a double week, so you got twice what you normally get.

Making Cromwell and Linehan the only two people i can think of that have tried to cancel christmas.

May i point out not everyone got the double week. Not sure of the provisions of it.
    My parents get it as they are on disability pension whereas I, nor anybody i know who is forced to claim the dole, got it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

javaboy wrote: »
    Part of the reason they use levies is certainly to avoid the bad PR of raising taxes but there's also major practical complications with adjusting tax bands midway through a financial year.

With that said they should really axe the levies in December and adjust the tax bands accordingly but it looks like they're not going to.

And that they will do.

They've pointed this out already, but sure I suppose nobody was listening.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Advertisement