Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhhh suppose in fairness they are very good... Out of budget for us, still thinking of the reception music but back to the cd player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sugartown Road booked out on our date as well. Anyone heard of Armageddon/The Great Pretenders? Waiting a call black about availability before we go to see them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Thanks for the help guys! Milly I didn't actually ask in the crane lane but I've been keeping an eye on who they have playing as well as a few other bars around town. Collage I hadn't come across, will check them out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pampootie wrote: »
    I'm based in Cork. We were hoping for a soul/motown type band but I think we've exhausted most of our options on that front! Wedding is the May Bank holiday next year so I'm panicking that loads of bands will be booked out!

Have you tried the Papa Zitas? http://www.papazitas.com/

Or the Roaring Forties may possibly fit the bill?

Papa zitas are over our budget unfortunately! Roaring forties I must look into again actually, never got to see them live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Tobe2016

Anyone hear of J90? Or having any reviews, thinking of making an enquiry but no sure how much they'll cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Tobe2016 wrote: »
    Anyone hear of J90? Or having any reviews, thinking of making an enquiry but no sure how much they'll cost.

Have heard them play before( not at a wedding) and they are quite good. It was a few years back when I was at their gig so not sure if line up has changed since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

I'm based in Cork. We were hoping for a soul/motown type band but I think we've exhausted most of our options on that front! Wedding is the May Bank holiday next year so I'm panicking that loads of bands will be booked out!

We booked these guys http://www.jopetitmusic.com, I remember seeing on their website somewhere that they did a gig in Cork so they probably travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

etymon wrote: »
    We booked these guys http://www.jopetitmusic.com, I remember seeing on their website somewhere that they did a gig in Cork so they probably travel

ooh, they look great!

We've gone through 3 bands now. Two booked, and one didn't bother to call us back to let us know either way, so they are struck off just on rudeness! :mad:
    Have to up our game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We've gone through 3 bands now. Two booked, and one didn't bother to call us back to let us know either way, so they are struck off just on rudeness! :mad:
    Have to up our game!

Are The Rubix def gone? Did they get a deposit from the other people?

Try Quantum as well. They are based in Meath. I went to see them and found them very good too.

Pink Champagne are another one but they are very popular so could be booked already.

andreac wrote: »
    Are The Rubix def gone? Did they get a deposit from the other people?

Try Quantum as well. They are based in Meath. I went to see them and found them very good too.

Pink Champagne are another one but they are very popular so could be booked already.

Yeah they rang the guys that booked them to tell them we had a cash deposit ready and they paid the deposit that day. Disappointed to say the least, but on the upside they didn't leave us hanging for weeks and we know exactly what kind of band we want as well!
    Thanks, I'll be checking them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yeah they rang the guys that booked them to tell them we had a cash deposit ready and they paid the deposit that day. Disappointed to say the least, but on the upside they didn't leave us hanging for weeks and we know exactly what kind of band we want as well!
    Thanks, I'll be checking them out!

Ah thats crap, sorry to hear that. Well if its any consolation, i really wanted Pink Champagne but they were booked out. Was raging but then found the Rubix, so was happy with my decision. So maybe you might get someone just as good and be happy with who you found.

There is another band we went to see, Wiseguys. They put on a great show, but not as good a singers as the ones in The Rubix, but were very funny.

I got a few more quotes but they might be a bit out of your budget.

Oh another one, Top of the popz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

We went to see Pink Champayne twice, loved them the 1st time but OH wasnt with me, second time they were a little off & OH wasnt impressed but after the band at the weekend, he changed his mind and now they are booked! Its finally sinking in with him that people book wedding stuff way in advance:)

Whats your budget ShaShaBear?

J 90 are quite funky,. heard them a few times. Only thing is they can be too loud but you can ask them to turn that down. They are a fun band...

Roaring 40's good too different scale to j90 I would think..

You should change the crane lane sure youll never know unless you ask they will either say yes or no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I popped the question to my bridesmaids over the weekend! I was in England visiting one of my friends and decided I wanted to ask her in person so I figured I would ask all of them over the weekend as I had things planned with each of them anyway.

I made up little cards saying 'I can't say "I do" without you' and put together a box each for them with a little me-to-you-bear wearing a bridesnaid shirt, a mini bottle of presecco, nail polishes in our colour scheme and a ring pop.

Where they smitten

I don't suppose any of you ladies are familiar with printing on sheen card?
    Doing up template invitations and the ink is a tad too easy to smudge, wondering if it might be the paper/ink combination or perhaps just a printer cleaning issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

They're excellent, my sister booked them on my recommendation, and a good few people who went then booked them for their own wedding :P I should get a commission.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I don't suppose any of you ladies are familiar with printing on sheen card?
    Doing up template invitations and the ink is a tad too easy to smudge, wondering if it might be the paper/ink combination or perhaps just a printer cleaning issue?

It can depend on your printer. You can print on shimmer/shiny card from a laser printer.

I have found that inkjet printers do not print well on sheen card. Images don't pop/colours are off etc.

However laser printers won't print on any card is textured. Does your card have a texture?

It can be an idea to google your printer make and model to find out the acceptable card weights it will take also. Sometimes if the card is too heavy the ink smudges.

• Advertisement

ahayes84 wrote: »
    It can depend on your printer. You can print on shimmer/shiny card from a laser printer.

I have found that inkjet printers do not print well on sheen card. Images don't pop/colours are off etc.

However laser printers won't print on any card is textured. Does your card have a texture?

It can be an idea to google your printer make and model to find out the acceptable card weights it will take also. Sometimes if the card is too heavy the ink smudges.

No there's no texture, its plain gold card. It's coming out of the printer just fine, just that I left one to dry for an hour and lifted it up and it smudged a bit where I held my thumb (probably the heat and moisture). I have two sitting to dry for 24 hours to see if it makes any difference but I'll check about the card weights!

It could be your printer. Afriend of mine had thesame problem trying to print on shimmer paper as her printer was not suitable for it. What type of printer do you have?

It could be your printer. Afriend of mine had thesame problem trying to print on shimmer paper as her printer was not suitable for it. What type of printer do you have?

Canon MG2250.
    I can see now it's not going to be suitable for the task. Suppose I can use it for templates and tests but I'll have to borrow a printer for the job!

Canon MG2250.
    I can see now it's not going to be suitable for the task. Suppose I can use it for templates and tests but I'll have to borrow a printer for the job!

Yes my mom has that printer too and while i could print on shimmer paper the colours were totally off. I'dsay if you had heavier card then i used it wouldn't take at all.

See if anyone has a laser printer. would you have one in work maybe?

Yes my mom has that printer too and while i could print on shimmer paper the colours were totally off. I'dsay if you had heavier card then i used it wouldn't take at all.

See if anyone has a laser printer. would you have one in work maybe?

OH has one in work they've said we can use (think that's because his boss is a big nosy biddy, even though he's a man :P )
    But at least we know what it looks like on the shimmer! Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

They are €2300 for the band and €200 for their DJ.

They are a great band! Never seen them at a wedding but have seen them quite a few times in pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Have you seen the Modern Souls? They're based in Tipperary but would probably travel. They were our wedding band and unreal, the dancefloor was hopping all night. We didn't want a 'waltz n jive' band so they were perfect! Check them out live if you can as the YouTube videos don't do them justice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sunnier

I am a newbie here, but recently got engaged and are aiming for spring 2016. In about ten days we have the appointment to register, have our date picked and the hotel and photographer we like have our date free so we have been quite lucky. We have spoken about it for so long so it is mad that it is actually happening!

Dolbert wrote: »
    Have you seen the Modern Souls? They're based in Tipperary but would probably travel. They were our wedding band and unreal, the dancefloor was hopping all night. We didn't want a 'waltz n jive' band so they were perfect! Check them out live if you can as the YouTube videos don't do them justice at all.

Thanks Dolbert, if you have a chance could you send me on a number or email address for them? Can't see one online, just their Facebook!

• Advertisement

Can anyone who booked with the HSE for a venue other than the registry office tell me how long it took from the booking until you got your pack in the post to fill out for the venue's inspection?

I am trying to think now I am sure she emailed us the letter for the Venue to sign.. So we had it before we went in to pay the registry fee... We are getting married this year and we done this last year...

Just thinking now is it that your venue is not on the list and they need to check it out, or is it a registered spot and you just need to get the owners to sign it

Milly33 wrote: »
    Just thinking now is it that your venue is not on the list and they need to check it out, or is it a registered spot and you just need to get the owners to sign it

Ah I'd imagine its on a list. This was all done over the phone but the venue has done HSE civil weddings before, quite recently as well. Suppose I was just getting a bit worried because I haven't heard anything from them since booking the date with them - I'd really like to have something solid.

Well then it should take long at all... I was looking for the email but for some reason lots of emails get deleted from my gmail accountant it is very frustrating..

You have made your appointment with the HSE or booked you date have you? We defo got an email after we booked saying here is the information you need to have the owners sign and then we had it for when we went in to meet with the civil servant. I would email them and ask them to send it on... Must say I found them very helpful replying to emails.

Well then it should take long at all... I was looking for the email but for some reason lots of emails get deleted from my gmail accountant it is very frustrating..

You have made your appointment with the HSE or booked you date have you? We defo got an email after we booked saying here is the information you need to have the owners sign and then we had it for when we went in to meet with the civil servant. I would email them and ask them to send it on... Must say I found them very helpful replying to emails.

Yeah just booked the date, not the appointment with them. I'll send an email on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Hi all! Delighted to be able to join in this thread! We got engaged this weekend and while we haven't picked a date yet, we're aiming for Autumn 2016.

It all feels very surreal at the moment but hugely exciting and I can't wait to start planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curlywurlyash

Hi Thanks for the Advice re J90 just been looking on there site. Can i ask when you book them for a wedding do they tend to play covers or do they play some of there own stuff? Sorry i know your not there manager :) ha just wondering if they will do a WALTZ at all to keep the oldies happy.

They should nearly do what you ask them to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Hi Thanks for the Advice re J90 just been looking on there site. Can i ask when you book them for a wedding do they tend to play covers or do they play some of there own stuff? Sorry i know your not there manager :) ha just wondering if they will do a WALTZ at all to keep the oldies happy.

No problem, I asked the same question more to avoid waltz's than anything. They sent me a tracklist they did for one wedding recently for a couple who were 30

Songs marked with * are regulars in the set at the moment.

OLDIES, COUNTRY AND ROCK N ROLL

Blue Suede Shoes Elvis *
    Jailhouse Rock *
    Neil Diamond Sweet Caroline *
    Not Unusual Tom Jones
    Red Rose Cafe *
    That's Amore *
    Galway Girl Mundy *
    Wagon Wheel *
    Siege Of Ennis *
    The Gambler Kenny Rodgers
    Country Roads *
    Folsom prison blues *
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Just 17
    Shout Lulu *
    Higher and Higher Jackie Wilson *
    Proud Mary Tina Turner *
    Friends in Low Places Gareth Brooks

70'S/80's DISCO

Come On Eileen Dexies Midnight Runners
    Good lookin woman Joe Dolan
    Waterloo ABBA
    Mama Mia ABBA *
    Play That Funky Music Wild Cherry
    Superstition Stevie Wonder
    Signed Sealed Delivered Stevie Womder
    Disco Inferno The Tramps
    Can You Feel It Jackson 5
    Call Me Al Paul Simon *
    All Night Long Lionel Ritchie

ROMANTIC/FIRST DANCE/SLOW SONG

John Legend All Of Me
    Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud
    Tom Baxtor Better
    Take That Million Love Songs
    James Morrisson You Make It Real
    Al Green Lets Stay Together *
    James Blunt Bonfire Heart
    Elbow One Day Like This *
    Take That Greatest Day
    Take That Rule The World
    Jason Miraz I'm Yours *
    Jason Miraz I Won't Give Up
    Goo Goo Dolls Iris *
    Snow Patrol Chasing Cars
    Stevie Wonder Isn't she Lovely
    The Ramones Baby I Love You
    Michael Buble Everything
    Lionel Richie Three Times A Lady
    Ray LaMontagne You Are The Best Thing
    Lumineers Ho Hey *
    The Coronas Warm *
    Brian Adams Heaven

CHART

Bruno Mars Uptown Funk
    Taylor Swift Shake It Off
    Rude Magic
    All About That Bass Meghan Trainor
    Can't Hold Us Mackelmore *
    Locked Out Of Heaven Bruno Mars *
    Treasure Bruno Mars
    Daft Punk Get Lucky
    Wake Me Up Avicii *
    Timber Pitbull *
    Ed Sheeran Sing
    Wheetus Teenage Dirt Bag
    Shakira/Rihanna Can't Remember to forget you
    Imagine Dragons On Top Of The World
    John Legend All Of Me
    Candy Robbie Williams
    Express Yourself Laberinth
    Forget You Cee Lo Green
    Blurred Lines Robin Thicke *
    Pharell Williams Happy *
    Beyonce Crazy In Love *
    Beyonce All The Single Ladies *
    Poker Face Lady Gaga
    Bad Romance Lady Gaga
    Hot n Cold Katie Perry
    Pump It Black Eyed Peas
    I Gotta Feeling Black Eyed Peas *
    Let's Get it Started Black Eyed Peas *
    DJ Got us Falling in Love Usher
    Dynamite Taio Cruz *
    Moves Like Jagger
    Party Rock Anthem LMFAO
    Sexy and I know it LMFAO
    Roar Katie Perry
    We Found Love Rihanna *
    Written in the Stars Tinie Tempah
    Starships Nicki Minag
    New York Jay Z Alicia Keys
    Stereo Love Gym Class Heroes
    Fun We are Young
    Wild Ones FloRida
    90's Dance Medley *
    Don't You Worry Child Seewdish House Mafia
    Hey Ya Outkast

ROCK

Bohemian Rhapsody Queen *
    Living on a Prayer Bon Jovi
    Its My Life Bon Jovi
    Summer of 69 *
    Don't Stop Me Now Queen
    Sweet Child O Mine Guns N Roses
    Don't Stop Believing Journey
    Thunder Struck AC/DC *
    Shook Me All Night Long AC/DC *
    Highway To Hell
    Blink 182 All The Small Things *

INDIE

Ho Hey Lumineers *
    Shipping up to Boston Dropkick Murphy's
    Viva La Vida Coldplay
    Mr. Brightside The Killers *
    Sex on Fire Kings of Leon *
    Valerie Amy Winehouse *
    Rolling in The Deep Adele
    Pencil Full of Lead Paulo Nutini
    10 out of 10 Paulo Nutini
    Could You Be Loved Bob Marley
    Little Talks Of Monsters and Men *
    Lonley Boy The Black Keys
    Chelsea Dagger *

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I'm next year as well...October.. So far I have Venue, church & Photographer booked. I am pricing local Florists at the moment to allow me get an idea of our budget.
    I think I found my dress but I wanted to make an appointment in Dinagh Modes before I commit to the dress as I heard the lady there is meant to be brilliant in letting you know which dresses suit your figure etc. That is booked for next month.

When should I order Invites? Has anybody any idea on where to order them from? Do people send out save the dates anymore??

I need to book a band and church music next. I have sent a few emails.

• Advertisement

congrats sunshine, you are working your way down the list getting things done.. the invites is really up to you I found though that looking at the as soon as you can just so ye can both decide on what ye want as there is so many out there, is the best thing..

We sent out the save the dates but only to people abroad so that they would know in plenty of time if they wanted to book flights and holidays all that goes..

congrats sunshine, you are working your way down the list getting things done.. the invites is really up to you I found though that looking at the as soon as you can just so ye can both decide on what ye want as there is so many out there, is the best thing..

We sent out the save the dates but only to people abroad so that they would know in plenty of time if they wanted to book flights and holidays all that goes..

Thanks! Where did you look at invites? Is there any particular website ? I know there are many out there!

How far in advance did you send the Save the dates??

invites oh there are so many sites most defiantly. I am sure some one here can point you in the right direction. If you are looking for the basic styles visat print was great. Or they do quirky things too like magnet type invites that you can pop up on your fridge a friend done this and I must say they were loverly. We went down the route of doing our own and printing..

Ali Express on line too has lots of nice ones, just order in plenty of time...

The save the dates. I think we sent ours out about a month after we booked the official date and had the venue sorted. So lets say we are August now and booked me thinks after Christmas last year so that was well in advance.. So once we defo had the venue and the date that was it out they went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thanks! Where did you look at invites? Is there any particular website ? I know there are many out there!

How far in advance did you send the Save the dates??

We aren't bothering with save the dates. The folks abroad have been told the date so that's grand. Getting our invites with Lantz. There are loads of sites but we wanted somewhere we can actually see the invite and feel it etc. We were at a wedding fair and Lantz had a stand. Picked out a few that we liked so paid our deposit and got a discount off the price. Wont go in to order them until Feb or so.

We're making our own as well. I have the actual invite template done, just need to do an RSVP and a small list of places to stay in the area! No idea when we are supposed to send them out, though!

Tis again up to ye when to send. I was all up for sending them out early so we could get replies back asap. People I have to say are a pain in the arse when it comes to RSVP. We didn't put a date on ours just said RSVP asap and we are still chasing people to send them back, and tis both people going and not going...

We started in June for August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Didn't bother sending Save The Dates, we sent our invitations in late January for a late May wedding, with an RSVP date of February 28th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

One of the girls my sis works with got married a couple of weeks ago at our venue and is raving about the place. Can't fault it in any way :D:D:D
    Her mother is still talking about how lovely it was, the staff and how the food was fab! Yayyy

That's great Dovies. It's grest when you hear positive reviews. Where is the venue if you don't mind my asking?

In regard to the invites,
    should I was to order until after I go to my first wedding fair in the RDS this September? Will I get good deals at it?
    I get married in October next year so I guess sending them in August seems about right?
    My problem is, another couple that will be invited to our wedding ( and the same guests will be on OH side) are getting married 2 weeks before us!! And they will have to travel for our wedding.

So I'm not sure if I should send them out before they get theirs out or would that be mean?I'm assuming theirs would go out around July. Advice please!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

That's great Dovies. It's grest when you hear positive reviews. Where is the venue if you don't mind my asking?

In regard to the invites,
    should I was to order until after I go to my first wedding fair in the RDS this September? Will I get good deals at it?
    I get married in October next year so I guess sending them in August seems about right?
    My problem is, another couple that will be invited to our wedding ( and the same guests will be on OH side) are getting married 2 weeks before us!! And they will have to travel for our wedding.

So I'm not sure if I should send them out before they get theirs out or would that be mean?I'm assuming theirs would go out around July. Advice please!!!

I would just send save the dates out this year. That'll solve your problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement