Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being Short Vs Being Tall

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Just reading this thread, about a guy who felt discriminated against for being tall, by being made to pay for extra leg room on a plane.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329008

Well, I'm 6'2'', and I know all you short people think "Oh, tall people have it easy" , but that's not the case.
    Sure, women prefer us, we always get a good view at concerts, and our presence commands a certain respect, but there's many many downsides.

For example:

We really do have to mind our heads, wherever that sign is posted.

We're constantly harrased by old ladies in the supermarket, who want us to remove things from tall shelves.

It's hard for us to hide in crowds.

You know how you look out a plane, and everything seems tiny? Well, what may seem like a large apartment for a normal person, seems much smaller to a tall person, meaning we have to pay more for the same effect.

And when I was in China, I couldn't walk down the street without being stared at, like I was the elephant man. People even asked to take pictures. it did irreperable harm to my self esteem.

So, it's not all fun and games and seeing over walls, for us tall people. We have it hard too.

So spare us tall people a thought, next time you're fitting comfortably in your small fuel efficient car, and paying a low food bill as you need less nourishment than us, and remember, tall people are people too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Blisterman wrote: »
    tall people are people too.

LIES!!!!

Go join the circus, freak!!!

I wish I was tall :( Average height sucks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tell you what is too big blisterman - you sig is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah old ladies in the supermarket piss me right off. I'm only 6ft, feck off and a get a real tall person!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

*Wipes away a tear*

Sniff...

Soo True...

Not to mention..
    I'm 6Ft 4..

Do you notice how just offhandly hostile the average person gets once they realise that you can see the top of there head?? Weirdiest thing ever :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

And when I was in China, I couldn't walk down the street without being stared at, like I was the elephant man. People even asked to take pictures. it did irreperable harm to my self esteem.
    Are you sure you don't look like the elephant man? Pighead has also walked down the street in China (well Parnell St but more or less the same) and there was nobody staring or asking could they take any pictures. Well maybe a few chicks stared but that was lust and is fairly normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Lol!:D
    So spare us tall people a thought, next time you're fitting comfortably in your small fuel efficient car, and paying a low food bill as you need less nourishment than us, and remember, tall people are people too.

Sounds like a charity ad, Tall people aren't just for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

six foor two?

You don't even know you're born!

Can't stand up in a bus. Can't have footboards on beds. Can't buy trousers without having them look like capri pants.

Also, as is well known, the weather changes up here, compared to down in the normal parts of the atmosphere where "normal sized people" have their heads.

But, on the plus side, Do you know where the best place to stand at a gig is when you're this tall? Anywhere!

And the worst? Right behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd hate to be really tall but I think I'd prefer it over being really short...I'm 6 foot btw so I think that's around average...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The one thing that annoys me most is people with comb overs. I'm sure it looks "okay" (/sniggers) to small people, but tall people see EVERYTHING and its not nice! :mad:

I'm 6' 4" btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

How's the weather up there?

High Tower!

Lanky bastard.

You'd make a better door than a window.

I like being tall most of the time but agree with the OP 100% !

I'm about 6'4"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What?! No Tall People & Facial Hair forum request?!
    You should totally ask for one, and form a Tall People Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pighead wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't look like the elephant man? Pighead has also walked down the street in China (well Parnell St but more or less the same) and there was nobody staring or asking could they take any pictures. Well maybe a few chicks stared but that was lust and is fairly normal.

I lol'd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Hmm, as a 5'11" female I would happily give away 3".

Can't count the number of times lads have said "Jaysus, you're tall!" before they realise I'm even wearing flat shoes!

Anyway, it's 5 o'clock, I'm off to do some jeans shopping in the Topshop Tall section with the other freaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm a comfortable height, just right. I'd agree being too tall is almost as bad as being too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm a 5'7" female. I'm not really tall, but when I was growing up I did gymnastics, and I was always the tallest girl by a head. I sucked at gymnastics, and all of the short girls who could flip and twist so easily used to laugh at me. :(
    Am still traumatized by those events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Being tall is more of an inconvenience than being small, I would imagine. But at least if you are tall and angry about something, people don't assume you have a height complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm a good bit above average height and am glad for it.
    Can't imagine being below tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I get used for my height in work like retrieving boxes from high places or putting up show material that usually requires a ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm 6 foot and can just fit into the seats on public transport/planes. I always pity the poor freaks that come on after the couple of minutes of laughing, pointing and making rude and insensitive jokes about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Am six foot, so above average but not in the freak realm. There are tons of benefits to being tall but none to being short imo op, apart from short girls sometimes being cute (but tall girls are WIMMEN, and much sexier). My legs are quite long though so I still get some of the disadvantages of the taller lad. Also op I know a girl who was in korea and was asked for pics, they do it to all western tourists (well as many as they can I suppose). orientalism works both ways I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

A_M101 wrote: »
    Hmm, as a 5'11" female I would happily give away 3".

Can't count the number of times lads have said "Jaysus, you're tall!" before they realise I'm even wearing flat shoes!

Anyway, it's 5 o'clock, I'm off to do some jeans shopping in the Topshop Tall section with the other freaks!

I'll take those three inches, I know just where to put them. :P

I'm only 178cm, which I think is 5'11" in your Imperalist measuring units and I have found I'm slightly too big for scutty little Japanese motorbikes. Even a Honda Blackbird! And they're fairly big. I have to slouch to fit. How small are the people they design them for!? I'd hate to be 2m or more. Crikey, I'd have to cut my feet off then. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ha being small isn't always handy either - Dresses and trousers are all made for tall people, tall skinny people at that. I can stand next to a rail and have the waistline near my chest and the ends of them an inch or two off the floor.
    The 'short' pants you can get, are too short! so you look like a tool with short pants, and I'm sure people go 'omg how can you get pants that are too short for you?' It's possible! I don't buy em though.
    Short legs are not good for trekking through forests in Cambodia, trust me.
    They don't help when trying to get over barbed wire either.

however, upsides to being short - I can sit in some cinema seats and swing my legs, my single bed is more than enough for me, I can look cute trying to jump up and reach that coat hook, I get to clamber on worktops to get stuff out of the top shelf and so forth.
    Things are always an adventure. I get to wear heels and such like. And I fit better when getting hugs :D

(female 5'3'')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Disco Stu

6ft 5... big sod, don't fit in anything very well, planes, trains and some automobiles... can't buy feckin trousers in this country without paying a fortune for them... :o I get stared at when I walk down Grafton Street and have been asked to pose for photos here... very weird...!? :rolleyes:

Oh yeah I forgot the fact that I walk into the top of feckin doors too... :eek:

Have decided only reasonable way to get around the problem of being over tall is to become rich... fly business/first class... no public transport... and back of chauffeur driven car...! :D

So i'm off to buy a lotto ticket... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

WindSock wrote: »
    Being tall is more of an inconvenience than being small, I would imagine.

Why?

Pretty much everything as a complaint in the OP can be reversed for small people e.g. finding it hard to find clothes that fit etc. and being tall comes with plenty of advantages too.
    Karoma wrote: »
    You should totally ask for one, and form a Tall People Union.

There's actually a Tall Persons Club of UK and Ireland.

They have no minimum height requirement, only that you yourself feel you are tall.

I tried joining once but they wouldn't let me.

I'm 5' 3".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

This thread reminded me of this:

click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

When i was a kid i repeatedly wanted to punch my Gran in the face for telling me i should put a brick on my head to stop growing.

That gets old when your hear it every couple of months for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im 6' 4" and ugly as ****.

I make small children cry at the mere sight of me.

Women tend to feel safe around me (so ive been told)

i corrected their mistake.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm 6'4" also. Airplanes are a problem but I'd hate to be a short person. I have it on good authority that they have no reason to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"I didn't know that they could stack sh1t that high without it falling over" seems a popular comment by suicidal fast-running short people.

Advertisement