Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall People Flying !

Options
  • 05-07-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

A friend of a friends sister-in-law mothers brother.. OK its me :)

Why do tall people, I mean really tall people 6ft 6in have to pay for leg room on flights ? its genetic ! I cant help it ! :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

sunny2004 wrote: »

Why do tall people, I mean really tall people 6ft 6in have to pay for leg room on flights ? its genetic ! I cant help it ! :)
    I didnt know you did have to pay extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Oryx wrote: »
    I didn't know you did have to pay extra?

Let me explain, I do not fit in an economy seat, my feet do not touch the ground as my knees are stuck somewhere near the table, and if the guy/girl tries to move their seat back during the fight I am screwed ! and before anyone suggests putting my legs out in the aisle, this is assuming I can get an aisle seat and its not practical or comfortable, not to mention safe for others or the trolley cant get past. on long haul flight my chances of DVT are increased as my legs are squashed from the start... so please :) take this as read..

Now the only way out is to pre-book an emergency seat..
    Our national carrier charges 30 euros for this service for a round trip to say London !

Ah. I usually fly ryanair where you takes your chances seat wise. Have managed to bag the emergency seat a few times though, at no extra charge. But shhhhh or theyll put coin ops on em for the extra money!

Ah. I usually fly ryanair where you takes your chances seat wise. Have managed to bag the emergency seat a few times though, at no extra charge. But shhhhh or theyll put coin ops on em for the extra money!

LOL..
    its coming.. you know its coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've heard of people having their legs lengthened so that they can join their local law enforcement department. Wouldn't it be more economical in the long run (no pun intended) to have your legs shortened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Look at it this way OP. While you have to pay for leg room on flights, short people may have to fork out for step-ladders to reach things that are high up - you don't. Short people have to ask for help with reaching high things in supermarkets - you don't. If there's a really big puddle, you can step over it - they can't. If you're at a gig or club, you have an infinitely better chance of being able to see and/or find your friends if/when you get separated. I realise that only one of these things is of monetary value, but take some comfort in the others!! ;)

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Look at it this way OP. While you have to pay for leg room on flights, short people may have to fork out for step-ladders to reach things that are high up - you don't. Short people have to ask for help with reaching high things in supermarkets - you don't. If there's a really big puddle, you can step over it - they can't. If you're at a gig or club, you have an infinitely better chance of being able to see and/or find your friends if/when you get separated. I realise that only one of these things is of monetary value, but take some comfort in the others!! ;)

Brilliant LOL but there are flaws, the finding a friend at a gig only works if they are tall or have a rather unique bald spot on their head !
    and for all the other items mentioned you dont get charged 30 euros ;)

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I've heard of people having their legs lengthened so that they can join their local law enforcement department. Wouldn't it be more economical in the long run (no pun intended) to have your legs shortened?

If you keep this up it will be your legs getting broken ;):p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote: »

Do they go to LA ? JFK in NY ? :P

Yep, I can see how this is going to go !!!:D:confused:;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement

[sensible post]Is the legroom as bad on long haul? I thought their economy had better room. Oh, and on some booking sites you can check each airlines legroom, which might be useful.[/sensible post]

At least your not morbidly obese. They have to buy two seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you didnt have the option of pre-booking the emergency exit then you wouldn't be able to be sure you could get it so you should be glad you can pre-book it - even though it is expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

[sensible post]Is the legroom as bad on long haul? I thought their economy had better room. Oh, and on some booking sites you can check each airlines legroom, which might be useful.[/sensible post]

At least your not morbidly obese. They have to buy two seats.

It sucks alright, especially since by law the emergency seats have to be occupied. So if no one pays the extra fee to pre book then they just give them to people at check in. I'm 6'4 and ALWAYS ask at check in for a seat with extra leg room, in fact i always ask to be upgraded as well, ya never know!:) Maybe i'm lucky, but most of the time i'm able to get an emergency exit seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Can't believe this took 48 mins to come up :)

axer wrote: »
    If you didn't have the option of pre-booking the emergency exit then you wouldn't be able to be sure you could get it so you should be glad you can pre-book it - even though it is expensive.

I am so glad that I pay an additional 30 euros each time ;)
    You clearly are not tall and if you are you clearly don't travel a lot :)

Regarding the "fat" people. Personally I believe if its medical or genetic, (don't know a lot about been overweight" but if its a medical situation as opposed to "who ate all the pies" then why should they pay for an additional seat ? could be simply sorted with a letter from your doctor ! I suppose.. either way, I dont need a doctors note :) I am just tall ! the human race is getting taller, I am simply ahead of my time ! ;)

Next we will be charging for wheelchairs.... O, we did do that didn't we LOL until someone stood up (figuratively) and complained ! :)

Regarding the long haul you are in fact correct.. the seat configuration gives you some additional leg room.. not a lot but its bearable just...

I am simply saying that its descrimination !
    If I was blind my dog would be allowed ! :)

I am so glad that I pay an additional 30 euros each time ;)
    You clearly are not tall and if you are you clearly don't travel a lot :)
    Im only about 6' 1" but I travel at least twice a month on an aeroplane.

Which do you prefer - the ryanair way of every man for himself or the aerlingus way of giving an option of pre-booking a seat well in advance of the flight at a cost? or what do you suggest the airlines do?

I am not trying to justify their charge but its really the same difference when it comes down to it. You are always going to have problems being either much taller than average or much smaller than average (the average being about 5' 7/8")

The airlines should operate a first come first serve thing but only offer seats with extra leg room to people who actually need it.

If i were on booked on a flight and people who need leg room got there before me, then i'd say fair enough... But if the people taking up those seats are 5'6 or something, then i'd be incredibly pissed off.

The airlines should operate a first come first serve thing but only offer seats with extra leg room to people who actually need it.
    so should they measure everyone? Should they ask about any medical conditions etc?
    If i were on booked on a flight and people who need leg room got there before me, then i'd say fair enough... But if the people taking up those seats are 5'6 or something, then i'd be incredibly pissed off.
    What do you think determines if someone needs extra leg room or not? Just height?

so should they measure everyone? Should they ask about any medical conditions etc?

What do you think determines if someone needs extra leg room or not? Just height?
    I never said it was an easy solution, but it is a fair one, in an ideal world.

And no they wouldn't have to measure everyone.. Maybe just ask for height when booking. Not that hard.

And unless there's some crazy rare disease that means that someone at 5'6 has an inseem of 40'' then yeah, i think height is a good indicator of who needs leg room and who doesn't.

Axer,
    I am at a loss here. maybe you could clear up a few points, you said above you are not justifying the airlines position.. but you go on to say basically I should accept it ? may I ask you a simple direct question.
    Do you in fact agree with the charge or not ?
    and at 6ft 1in do you fit comfortably into a domestic seat ?

as for the charges they are in fact relatively new...
    I refer back to the times when wheelchair charges were introduced..

you also mention the measuring of people.. at my height its obvious even to a blind person (my voice is heard form above) that I am quite tall. so no need to think for one minute that I am going to fit in a standard seat..
    so, I get charged for been genetically tall.. Lets be fair and charge the blind people for their dogs.. you are not suggesting that is right ?

I travel a lot myself.. I'm a travel photographer among other things.

Not directed at your good self, and I have mentioned it before here on boards. But I often come across many people who simply argue the opposite to whatever the way a discussion is going.. To me I am discriminated for something I cant help. I am tall.. why cant we go after the blind folks as well ;) its only fair after all. :rolleyes:

If we accept it then we deserve it..

• Advertisement

What other reason is there ?

I never said it was an easy solution, but it is a fair one, in an ideal world.
    which we are not in.
    And no they wouldn't have to measure everyone.. Maybe just ask for height when booking. Not that hard.
    What about those checking in online or via the computers they have set up?
    And unless there's some crazy rare disease that means that someone at 5'6 has an inseem of 40'' then yeah, i think height is a good indicator of who needs leg room and who doesn't.
    The length of legs is not the only reason why someone would need extra leg room. Conditions whereby someone is prone to blood clots; conditions such as arthritis whereby the person might need to stretch their legs to help with the pain; conditions that make it hard for the person to get in and out of their seat. Im sure there are more even deserving conditions that I don't know about.

Axer,
    I am at a loss here. maybe you could clear up a few points, you said above you are not justifying the airlines position.. but you go on to say basically I should accept it ?
    Well, if you want/have to fly with aerlingus then you have to accept it. The only way that it will change however is if it more hassle than it is worth to them.
    may I ask you a simple direct question.
    Do you in fact agree with the charge or not ?
    No in one way, yes in another.

No, because I think it is a bit money grabbing exercise to charge for those seats considering aerlingus are still not that cheap of an airline and thus are not passing on the savings to their customers. I could understand ryanair doing it since you could buy a flight from them and pay the extra charges for the emergency exit seat and still come out cheaper than aerlingus.

Yes, because they are firstly looking at supply vs demand and see that there is a demand there (and obviously low supply) and also because it is the only way of making sure you get that seat if you really need it since before this you could pick your seat online or at the airport thus the seats with extra leg room would be gone very quickly if you didnt have to pay for them
    and at 6ft 1in do you fit comfortably into a domestic seat ?
    I usually fly with Ryanair (30") but 2 days ago I flew with aerlingus (32"). I fit into both fine however it would be great to be able to stretch my legs but you get what you pay for thus I accept that. I also took a citylink bus to dublin airport. That journey was longer than the flight I took and had less legroom from what I could tell thus it doesnt bother me too much about the leg room in the aeroplane.
    you also mention the measuring of people.. at my height its obvious even to a blind person (my voice is heard form above) that I am quite tall. so no need to think for one minute that I am going to fit in a standard seat..
    So where is the line between when a person should get a seat with extra leg room or not? 6' 1", 6' 2", 6' 3"...?
    so, I get charged for been genetically tall.. Lets be fair and charge the blind people for their dogs.. you are not suggesting that is right ?
    I don't think you are getting charged for being genetically tall. I think airlines have looked at the average size of a human and the amount of seats they can fit in and settled on a leg room distance as a result i.e. what customers would accept. 32 inches is a very common size.
    Can you actually fit into a normall airlingus 32" seat?
    Not directed at your good self, and I have mentioned it before here on boards. But I often come across many people who simply argue the opposite to whatever the way a discussion is going.. To me I am discriminated for something I cant help. I am tall.. why cant we go after the blind folks as well ;) its only fair after all. :rolleyes:
    I am not arguing just for the sake of arguing but from a business point of view I see why they are charging. Also since it is the only way you are going to guarantee to get that seat since otherwise it would more than likely be booked straight away since very few are willing to pay the extra bit. Also there is no point giving out about something without giving a viable alternative method - that is why I ask the questions.

I think being blind is somehow a little more inconvenient than being tall.
    If we accept it then we deserve it..
    It is going to be a hard fought battle since most accept it because they are not as tall as you.

which we are not in.

What about those checking in online or via the computers they have set up?

The length of legs is not the only reason why someone would need extra leg room. Conditions whereby someone is prone to blood clots; conditions such as arthritis whereby the person might need to stretch their legs to help with the pain; conditions that make it hard for the person to get in and out of their seat. Im sure there are more even deserving conditions that I don't know about.

I can see this is truly going nowhere, so I will leave you with this..
    You cant sit in an emergency seat unless you are medically sound.. :)
    try any of the above and you will be instantly excluded from one at an emergency door.

Cheers for your thoughts folks.. I am in fact going to try to get some advice regarding the legality of this. should be interesting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could be some use :

http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm
    http://www.uk-air.net/seatplan.htm

Could be a while before we see all Ryanair kitted with these

http://www.thompsonsolutions.co.uk/ts_cozysuite.html

bushy... wrote: »

Interesting read ! cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

random wrote: »
    Can't believe this took 48 mins to come up :)

only took a few seconds for me, i'd check your connection if i were you

:D

not particular tall my self, but will still try and get the emergancey seats my self, or if flying aer lingus, will select them on the self check in, just purely from a comfort point of view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Kensington Chap

At least in my bitter, narrow-minded opinion. Being 6´3" is tall but not exceptionally tall, still airplane/bus seats all seem to be made for people a foot shorter than me.

Any tall people having trouble with clothes? Seems to me any trouser long enough for the legs has a waist measurement fit for Yokozuma.
    So while you may comfortably cover your ankles the arse of the pants hangs sad and empty, plus the waist band is all crumpled up under your belt.

Lousy small people.

You cant sit in an emergency seat unless you are medically sound.. :)
    try any of the above and you will be instantly excluded from one at an emergency door.
    The emergency exit seats are not the only seats with extra leg room.
    Cheers for your thoughts folks.. I am in fact going to try to get some advice regarding the legality of this. should be interesting..
    What could be illegal about it?

There is no point giving out unless you have viable alternative ideas as to how it should work. You never answered at what height should people be offered the seats with extra leg room in your opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

What if there was a plane-load of people going to a tall people's convention. Who gets the seats then? Picture the carnage.

In all seriousness though, i do think there is an issue here. Not sure of a viable way to solve it though.
    Brilliant LOL but there are flaws, the finding a friend at a gig only works if they are tall or have a rather unique bald spot on their head !
    and for all the other items mentioned you dont get charged 30 euros ;)

Hey, a good sturdy step-ladder for those hard to reach kitchen cupboards can be upwards of €30! As can heel lifts or those shoes that make you look taller.

Advertisement