Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

grogi wrote: »
    They just want to give the money to someone with the PPP scheme, that's all...

How many tolls could they put on that road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's not really about, they can do without putting any.

It is about paying someone to build a motorway and they paying them for the traffic going through.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I don't believe so. I think it's becoming very realistic now.

Enda: "Cork got its motorway to Dublin. Its amazing the expectations the people of Cork have when the economy recovers. There is no money for a motorway to Limerick".

Leo: Repeated claims that infrastructure, including the M20, is a priority to him. Repeated being a key word here. Has yet to mention any issues with the cost tag of the project, or Metro, or the A5.
    Water John wrote: »
    I think Leo is clever enough and knows the Govn't needs a flagship project in Munster.

Especially given the Luas, Metro, motorways in Galway/Wexford and the general poor state of roads in Cork, Kerry and Limerick.
    grogi wrote: »
    They just want to give the money to someone with the PPP scheme, that's all...

Tolling this would be a waste of time. Its too big to finance through tolls and the traffic volumes at the start wouldn't support a toll.

I would hope the Department of Finance would have learned from the M3/Limerick Tunnel/Waterford bypass fiascos to bury this tolling idea. It works for Drogheda, Enfield, even the M50, but not here.

The two M11 projects, N7, M17/M18, and N25 New Ross all got through as PPPs with no tolling. No reason why this can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

marno21 wrote: »

Tolling this would be a waste of time. Its too big to finance through tolls and the traffic volumes at the start wouldn't support a toll.

I would hope the Department of Finance would have learned from the M3/Limerick Tunnel/Waterford bypass fiascos to bury this tolling idea. It works for Drogheda, Enfield, even the M50, but not here.

The two M11 projects, N7, M17/M18, and N25 New Ross all got through as PPPs with no tolling. No reason why this can't.

If this isn't tolled, driving from Tuam to Cork (217km) how many tolls will you have to pay, just the 1?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    If this isn't tolled, driving from Tuam to Cork (217km) how many tolls will you have to pay, just the 1?

Yes, just the Limerick tunnel

• Advertisement

Yes, just the Limerick tunnel

Drove through that tunnel twice,definitely seems shorter than the JLT here in Cork.

Once with 53 passengers, cost €3.30

An artic was €6.60 if i remember correctly.

Whilst i know the few is the same on the M8 is the reduced price for coaches to encourage people onto a bus hence the cheaper rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Drove through that tunnel twice,definitely seems shorter than the JLT here in Cork.

Nope its 65 metres longer than the JLT.

Nope its 65 metres longer than the JLT.

Jasus, i didn't think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I would have thought JLT was longer too, maybe it's not as steep as the JLT which gives the impression its shorter

JLT is 620m, Limerick Tunnel is 675m

Perhaps the JLT feels longer because most of the time you are in a slow moving queue, and you can't overtake so are stuck behind 60km/h cars, added to the fact there's a roundabout at one end , whilst it carries around 3-4x the volume of the Limerick Tunnel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ridiculous that you can't pay by card at the Limerick toll though.

bear1 wrote: »
    Ridiculous that you can't pay by card at the Limerick toll though.

True. Contactless is perfect for such application...

Deedsie wrote: »
    You can't overtake in either and rightly so. Speed limit in Limerick is 80 km/h

You can, at least in JLT. You just can't change lanes.

Do you hop over the car in front or how do you achieve that? :)

One lane vision of some people does not stop to surprise me.
    If a car on left lane is going slower than the one in right one, at some stage the car in the right lane overtakes the one in left lane...

A lot of people get fined for overtaking like that when overtaking is not allowed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You can't overtake in either and rightly so. Speed limit in Limerick is 80 km/h

Incorrect. Overtaking is only banned for vehicles with 3 or more axels in the Limerick Tunnel. http://www.limericktunnel.com/media/31489/tunnelsafetybrochure.pdf

Mc Love wrote: »
    I would have thought JLT was longer too, maybe it's not as steep as the JLT which gives the impression its shorter

Nope your just looking at it with Confederate flag tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Do you hop over the car in front or how do you achieve that? :)

There should be no overtaking in that tunnel. I was in Cork last week and as always an Audi driver decided to change lanes multiple times in the tunnel overtaking people. Imagine the disruption had he crashed which he could easily have. Gowl

It's just a road with a roof on, no reason for not overtaking in it, or not changing lanes for that matter, and whilst I'm at it, no need to have lights in it, it would be no darker than most country roads and also no need to put on lights as it is lit!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: can we drop the tunnel vision - with or without lights. M20 please.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Water John wrote: »
    I think Leo is clever enough and knows the Govn't needs a flagship project in Munster.

i think leo has his own interests in mind. he is promising roads all over Ireland and metro north because he sees an election coming. if FG win, then thats the last we will hear about the m20 from him until the next election cycle. this is less version of the "5 point plan"

mdmix wrote: »
    i think leo has his own interests in mind. he is promising roads all over Ireland and metro north because he sees an election coming. if FG win, then thats the last we will hear about the m20 from him until the next election cycle. this is less version of the "5 point plan"

He hasn't promised roads all over Ireland, his main 3 promises are Metro North, M20 and the A5, which should start before the end of 2017.

He's made a few comments about "upgrading regional roads" but that's likely to appease the "Dublin is getting all the money" brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

He hasn't promised roads all over Ireland, his main 3 promises are Metro North, M20 and the A5, which should start before the end of 2017.

He's made a few comments about "upgrading regional roads" but that's likely to appease the "Dublin is getting all the money" brigade.

i have no doubt that all the projects you have mentioned above will go ahead, i just think it will be over a very long period. i expect one project to start just before the election after next and the rest to follow. we might not see the m20 start for another 8-10 years

Tender for early works on the Cork Limerick motorway scheme was published by Limerick City/County Council today.

According to posts above by annfield1978, this has already been awarded to AECOM ROD so I can't fully explain it.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=116890

Tender for early works on the Cork Limerick motorway scheme was published by Limerick City/County Council today.

According to posts above by annfield1978, this has already been awarded to AECOM ROD so I can't fully explain it.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=116890
    Correct me if i'm wrong on reading that, is it for a person to sit at a certain point for hours on end counting the amount of vehicles going by?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Correct me if i'm wrong on reading that, is it for a person to sit at a certain point for hours on end counting the amount of vehicles going by?
    AFAIK, they use traffic loops superimposed upon the road surface (rather than like the TII ones which are embedded into the road surface). If you have driven across double wires pinned down across the roadway - they are the specific traffic counters used for surveys or at least, that's what I think.

Middle Man wrote: »
    AFAIK, they use traffic loops superimposed upon the road surface (rather than like the TII ones which are embedded into the road surface). If you have driven across double wires pinned down across the roadway - they are the specific traffic counters used for surveys or at least, that's what I think.

Ah yes, the wires across the road with the little boxes sitting on the kerbside.

I'm familiar with those.

Thank you :D

No it's done with a small camera like device with a memory card and the data downloaded to computer.
    About 15 minutes to set up and dismantle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

No it's done with a small camera like device with a memory card and the data downloaded to computer.

Using lasers perhaps - well that's new!

I'm getting old :eek:

Well yes there is a laser involved. I spent a week doing them with a hand held clicker and a clipboard on the junction of Henry street and Mallow Street in Limerick, the most boring job, made even worse by every second c!(6 stopping walking by, doubling back and asking me what I was doing and asking to see the figures.

• Advertisement

Obviously the box that houses the apparatus is bigger.
    I used one of these to gather traffic data for an enforcement matter involving a business during my former career as a Planning Enforcement Officer, left it up for 3 days, freaked the life out of the business operator.

Advertisement