Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This is a serious question in case anyone thinks I'm trolling.

When yous are all talking about using a APC I was always under the assumption that yous meant a car/motor approved one but do some of yous seriously use the likes of Flash and other brands that you could pick up in your local Dunnes ?

APC is APC. Personally I've always used Meguiars APC but it doesn't smell great. If anything it smells cheap and you'd get sick of it fairly easily.
    bbari wrote: »
    Yeh, I was going to quote Vectra on this too i.e. applying Authentic gives that extra shine but the beads die. Removing layers using an APC isn't really much of extra work i.e. wash couple of times with APC and rinse down ? I should probably do it if thats a proper way to do it ? The only thing is, I won't be able to just leave it parked for 24 hours over the weekend and apply another coat :)

I would much prefer to just have Fusso on top and have great beading and not have them die. Personally I don't think one would notice any extra shine especially on a car with such good paintwork as your and vectra's.

What you're going to do IS the proper way. I'm coming from the side of someone with a bad lower back.....seems like a lot of unnecessary pain :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Yes, you can see in the above pic, its just normal APC. I read that an APC is an APC, I hope I am not screwing up anything using Lidl branded APC :)

Yeah I'm very familiar with the APC in your picture, we use it to was the floors in work so that's what made it catch my eye.

I'm guessing that the likes of that will do just as good of a job as something from chemical guys or megures that probably cost 3-4 times the amount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

And that is all it would be used for yeah ? Just stripping ?

A lot use it to clean interior plastics, gives a matte finish.

I prefer son of a gun though, leaves a shiny finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just to add my 2c worth in this topic.
    If it were me prepping my car for winter, 2 x half days is not much work

Wash with Fairy ~ apc solution.
    Detar
    Wash
    Clay
    Wash
    2 x Wipedown with Carpro eraser.
    This should only take an hour or so in total

very light coat of Fusso
    Buff
    24 hours later
    second coat of fusso very light again.
    Take it easy for the rest of the winter.
    That Fusso is totally underestimated. I would rate it much better than 845 and I was a firm believer in that stuff as you all know.

But through testing this myself. preference is Fusso on its own.
    Nothing under it and nothing over it. Not even QD.
    It just spoils the effect on it.

Thanks for your €20.00 input there veccy ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your €20.00 input there veccy ;)

Did you collect the new motor yet?

vectra wrote: »
    Did you collect the new motor yet?

Today's the day :)

Today's the day :)

You will be like Niall Horan today
    "One 3R3ction" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Can the fusso stuff be bought in Ireland yet?

Edit: oh I see mrdetailireland sell it but is sold out.

edit 2: 26 euro delivered from Poland dark light

nd wrote: »

The only place I know it's stocked is over the road from me in Cashel. Mr Detail

• Advertisement

nd wrote: »

Edit: oh I see mrdetailireland sell it but is sold out.

Get it in the UK and send it over via Parcelmotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

vectra wrote:
    very light coat of Fusso Buff 24 hours later second coat of fusso very light again. Take it easy for the rest of the winter. That Fusso is totally underestimated. I would rate it much better than 845 and I was a firm believer in that stuff as you all know.

Sorry if it's a stupid question!

Does it matter if the second coat is after a week instead of 24 hours later?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Sorry if it's a stupid question!

Does it matter if the second coat is after a week instead of 24 hours later?

Other than the car picking up contamination during the week, no issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Well, looks like I have to strip the wax and do some extra buffing :(

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Well, looks like I have to strip the wax and do some extra buffing :(

Looks like you need to explain yourself to :P

A rake of scratches seem to have found it's way onto my passenger rear quarter! Eye sore!

Bummer, car park scratches or hedge like scratches from driving down the lanes.

Since polishing or that were there and hidden by the polishing oils?

Curran wrote: »
    Since polishing or that were there and hidden by the polishing oils?

Since polishing, definitely weren't there before, must've clipped a hedge or something.

• Advertisement

Nightmare - hopefully they wont take took much work to correct! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Just back from japfest, probably the best I've ever seen it and I've been to it 4 times. Was nice to see a few cleaning/detailing stands their, autoglym been one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Im looking to buy a couple of pads for my DA, Im unsure which pads I need though? I wont be tackling anything serious, so mainly light to medium defects. To start out with Ill be looking to get 2 5.5" pads, Im unsure which colours I need though, I was thinking green( medium cut) and blue(light polish/finishing pad) would this be the correct thinking? regards polish I have Chemical Guys 3n polish it claims to be an all rounder, but dunno whether I need a more dedicated polish from the likes of the menzerna range?

Any advice appreciated!

Is the car a VW?
    If so, the paintwork will be quite hard. The green pad would probably be fine, but the blue will be a little soft. I'd look more towards the black.
    For the polish; 3n will do a job, but a dedicated polish will do a better job. CarPro Fixer is a good option, as it's a great all rounder. You just need to change the pad to change the amount it cuts. The CarPro Reflect is just needed for the final stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

It's an Audi A3, great I'll look at them so and get something ordered from yourselves, was look at the fixer too. Trying to restraint myself from getting too much as I know I can get carried away and we all know it's gets expensive then!

I've now got myself hooked up with a unit so cleaning in the rain is now no problem, my car is in dire need of a clean and I'm having withdrawals from not detailing anything :D

Has anyone any experience with AMMO NYC? Tempted to try out a few of their stuff, my own is running out and would like to try something else.

Yes very good stuff, they work very well together.

Love wheel cleaner and the hydrate is quite unique for helping to dry cars.

Only thing is he only sells in the single containers, have asked a few times about getting bulk containers for some items but he hasn't got round to it.

Still using his shampoos at minute and have few bottles of skin and mud tyre gel.

edburg wrote: »
    Yes very good stuff, they work very well together.

Love wheel cleaner and the hydrate is quite unique for helping to dry cars.

Only thing is he only sells in the single containers, have asked a few times about getting bulk containers for some items but he hasn't got round to it.

Still using his shampoos at minute and have few bottles of skin and mud tyre gel.

Sounds pretty good! Will probably give them a belt so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

One car cleaning job I absolutely detest and can never do properly is clean the inside of the windscreen. Complete pig of a job. And you think you've done it only to drive into the sun and see loads of streaks!

Well I finally found the answer. Get down to Lidl, pick this up for €4. I can confirm its genius, does exactly what it says on the tin!

The handle is telescopic and the head is thin enough to get right into the corners and bottom of screen with minimum effort. It comes with a couple of microfibre "socks" that you pop onto the head.

EA9042DA-7BB4-48C3-9943-A094F0F16688_zpsyxphoeuo.jpg

Advertisement