Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Due January 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Is that an 8 week scan? So tempted to book one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

pooch90 wrote: »
    Is that an 8 week scan? So tempted to book one!

I will be 9 weeks and 1 day but can be done from 7 weeks onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Hiya, yes it's our first :)

Can anyone tell me what to expect at my first gp visit? Will he exam down there?

On my pregnancy they didn't give a damn about down there until my waters broke at 36+6 and the baby decided to be born early.

gracemarie wrote: »
    Hi! Just back from the doctor and pregnancy confirmed! :-) Due 11th January. I have been following this thread for the last week or so but wanted to wait until I went to the doctor before posting!

This is my first pregnancy and I'm clueless to say the least! Is anyone booked into the Coombe? If so, what should I do next? My doctor said I can register myself which is grand but due to work & personal circumstances, I might not be able to accept the appointment they give me so can I ring and book an appointment before I send the form in?

Thanks!!! :-)

I went semi private in the Coome last time ( going fully private there this time) and went to my GP when I was 4 weeks pregnant. Sent off my booking form 2 days later but still didn't get my booking appointment and first scan until I was 12+6.
    This was cutting things fine if I had wanted to have a further test for Downs as this has to be done before 13 weeks. In the end I decided not to do the test and so it was ok.
    If it was me I'd send off your form as soon as you can as you might be waiting longer than you think if you're not a private patient.
    If you are private then you can do a self referral. I just called up the consultant I wanted to attend last week and have my appointment for when I'm 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gracemarie

thanks! I put them in the post yesterday so hopefully they'll receive the form today or tomorrow. How long were you waiting before they gave you a date? It's all getting real now :-)

gracemarie wrote: »
    thanks! I put them in the post yesterday so hopefully they'll receive the form today or tomorrow. How long were you waiting before they gave you a date? It's all getting real now :-)

I got the reply from the Coombe quite quickly but the fact that I was going to be 12+6 did bother me at the time.
    It also meant I was half dememted with the will I / won't I have an early scan. I was desperate to see my little one (we had been ttc for a year). In the end I didn't as I'd have had to have the booking scan anyway at the Coombe and pay for that regardless. When I stopped to think of all the stuff we would have to get for the baby all of the hundred euros added up and sense prevailed in the end.

Have my first GP app today- very excited!!

The all day nausea is much worse today, haven't been sick but have been retching about 6 times today - sorry for tmi!

I'm not complaining but I think everyone will find out much sooner than I would like if I can't keep this under control!

Have my first GP app today- very excited!!

The all day nausea is much worse today, haven't been sick but have been retching about 6 times today - sorry for tmi!

I'm not complaining but I think everyone will find out much sooner than I would like if I can't keep this under control!

Ginger is quite good at alleviating the worst of the nausea. You can either nibble on a ginger biscuit or drink some ginger tea.
    Eating small amounts frequently helps too. I found that the hungrier I was the worse my nausea got.

Just been to the doc and had pregnancy confirmed. He thinks I am due the 20th Jan whereas the online calculators say 18th. Off to book myself into Holles Street Semi-P :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Oh am delighted to see this thread. Found out on Monday I'm pregnant with my 3rd baby! Due January 17th :)
    Bit nervous and worried but that's par for the course I guess. Went to the doctor today and booking into Holles Street online this evening. Eeeeek can't believe I'm doing all this again ha ha!

Congrats to everyone else. Looking forward to chatting to you all over the next few months :)

Congrats EJD!! A 3rd baby! You will be busy :)

Tell me about it! It still seems a bit surreal to be honest (despite the huuuuge tummy already!).

Is this your first LMC?

Also, was considering SP in Holles St. Had Peter Boylan the last time, but now I'm reading about the Domino Scheme and thinking would I be better off with that? I had 2 very easy straightforward labours last time so I'd be low risk assuming this pregnancy goes the same way - and I begged to be let home early so I did the early transfer home scheme too.

Any advice welcomed!

EJD wrote: »
    Is this your first LMC?

Yea this is hopefully going to be our first :)
    I am not eligible for the Domino scheme as I live in the wrong area. My Doctor was funny today, highly recommended semi in Holles St, was very against private.

Yea this is hopefully going to be our first :)
    I am not eligible for the Domino scheme as I live in the wrong area. My Doctor was funny today, highly recommended semi in Holles St, was very against private.

Last time my GP (whose wife went private in Mount Carmel and then Holles St) advised again private on the basis of money and how much you have to buy to get set up with the first one especially.
    I told him I was going fully private this time and he said he understands why.

Even though I am spending lots of money by going private, I will say that your care is great regardless and if your pregnancy is fine you'll have midwives all the way. It's the post natal care I'm guaranteeing for myself.

Last time my GP (whose wife went private in Mount Carmel and then Holles St) advised again private on the basis of money and how much you have to buy to get set up with the first one especially.
    I told him I was going fully private this time and he said he understands why.

Even though I am spending lots of money by going private, I will say that your care is great regardless and if your pregnancy is fine you'll have midwives all the way. It's the post natal care I'm guaranteeing for myself.

Sorry penny dreadful didn't mean to seem rude, he just thinks for me with no know issues (yet) that semi private will work

• Advertisement

Sorry penny dreadful didn't mean to seem rude, he just thinks for me with no know issues (yet) that semi private will work

I didn't think you were being rude, not even for a second. I was trying (badly it would seem!) to reassure anyone who is worrying about the level of cover they're opting for.

Totally agree ladies.

I went public on my first, semi private on my 2nd and honestly I couldn't find any difference in the care at all. My only reason for going SP on 2nd was the smaller & quieter ward afterwards and that's the truth. I found no difference in apt waiting times. Midwives on both were fantastic. That's why I'm leaning towards domino scheme this time as I would hope that I'll be able to leave the hospital as soon as possible after the birth - so no need for an SP ward - here's hoping anyway.

Each to their own I guess :)

How is everyone doing?
    I'm still enjoying the full joy of morning sickness, had to stop driving to work this morning! Keeping it classy :)

I still haven't had any sickness or symptoms apart from sore boobs, tiredness and amazing sense of smell. Kind of wishing for some sickness so I fell pregnant and slightly reassured.
    We did go and buy some baby clothes yesterday, even though we know it's way too early.

Oh that is very exciting. I am such a worry wart, the baby will probably be here before I buy anything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well LMC!

I'm still the same - lucky in that I have no other symptoms but severe nausea + vomiting all day long. Can only keep down (sometimes) the crappest simple carb foods like dry Rice Krispies, which also makes me feel bad as I had wanted to eat healthy all the way through the pregnancy. Best laid plans eh!

Just booked in with the hospital!! All getting very real :)

Oh that is very exciting. I am such a worry wart, the baby will probably be here before I buy anything!

Aldi have their baby event this week, so many cute bits!!

All good here too, no morning sickness bit tired etc but reckon working full time and 2 other kids would make anyone tired lol!
    Booked all hosp appts today too - eek :)
    think I'll book a private early scan too as don't think I'll last till the 12 week scan!

I'm booked for a private scan at 9 wks, very excited

My GP was sending off my details to the hospital,do I just wait until they contact me now?
    Going public in CUMH. I already got a letter stating that I've been approved for free care but nothing else.

Yep Pooch, they will issue you with a letter with details of booking appointment and first scan. Also attending CUMH until signed off for home birth :)

I'm booked for a private scan at 9 wks, very excited

That's great, so exciting!

You will find that there are some things it's just easier to have sorted sooner rather than later. There can be a lead time on buggies and furniture and also as you get bigger you'll be less inclined to be dragging yourself around the shops looking for things. Also your baby might come a little early. I was due in Oct 7th 2014 and yet my baby decided to put in an early arrival and came almost 4 weeks early. We'd ordered our stuff from Tony Kealys in July and had arranged for it to be delivered when I started my maternity leave. For some reason one Monday morning about 2 weeks before I was due to start my mat leave I called them to see if they could possibly deliver that day as I was on a day off. Luckily they could and we had already collected the buggy. The following week my waters broke and I never even got to start my mat leave. Best excuse ever for not turning up to work on a Monday morning :-)

Best excuse ever for not turning up to work on a Monday morning :-)

Yikes! That must have been a surprise!!

I was thinking of only getting a crib to start with, hoping picking one up second hand at a reasonable price. Will I need a cot straight away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

You will probably use a moses basket for the first couple of months..I'm sure ud know someone that has one..

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    You will probably use a moses basket for the first couple of months..I'm sure ud know someone that has one..

Hopefully although most of our friends are due around the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Oh rite...well if pick one up for 60 quid if u couldn't borrow one..I think they are just more cosy for babs in the beginning...also u can let baby sleep in the sitting room or where ever u are during the day..

However some people just use the pram part of the buggy so u could use this either and just get a moses basket stand..

Yikes! That must have been a surprise!!

I was thinking of only getting a crib to start with, hoping picking one up second hand at a reasonable price. Will I need a cot straight away?

It's all about personal choice. I'm a big believer in organised fun and wanted to get all of the stuff I needed out of the way and in place before the baby was born. It meant that I wouldn't be under any pressure to have to get out and buy things after the arrival.
    Also by buying everything in the one shop it allowed for more bargaining power too and they also threw in free delivery and assembly.
    I used a Moses basket that my mum was in when she was a baby. It was then used for me and my siblings and all of my nieces and nephews. I really like the idea of it being a family heirloom. Also it's massive compared to the newer ones.

I kept my daughter in my room for two weeks only and then put her across the landing into her own room. She never batted an eyelid. I had the Moses basket in her cot so when she moved from the basket to the cot at 14 weeks it was a smooth transition. She was used to sleeping in her own room, was familiar with the stickers on the walls and toys in her room.
    I also made sure she had all of her naps I her own room from 8 weeks too. It's been a really big part of what she is such a good sleeper I think as she is content and familiar with the room as a safe place for herself.

Yep Pooch, they will issue you with a letter with details of booking appointment and first scan. Also attending CUMH until signed off for home birth :)

Wow, home birth, that must be exciting!!
    Thanks for the info, I haven't a clue what's going on!
    Maybe I'll see you in CUMH ;)

Oh wow! A home birth very exciting!!

Haha, that's the plan anyway. Lots of stuff can happen during pregnancy/labour that might mean I end up in hospital anyway, but I am loving the one-on-one care with my midwife so far. Hubby is on board too, thankfully.

Not having first scan till late June, am so tempted to book a private one. Although part of me feels like we should save the money!!

Haha, that's the plan anyway. Lots of stuff can happen during pregnancy/labour that might mean I end up in hospital anyway, but I am loving the one-on-one care with my midwife so far. Hubby is on board too, thankfully.

Not having first scan till late June, am so tempted to book a private one. Although part of me feels like we should save the money!!
    Is this your first?

Is this your first?

Yes, first baby. Is this your first too?

• Advertisement

Do they insist on you living close to the hospital if you want home birth?

pooch90 wrote: »
    Do they insist on you living close to the hospital if you want home birth?

I think it's best if you're 30 minutes or less away from the hospital just to make an eventual transfer easier on you and baby. There's no limit written in stone though, just need to discuss with your midwife and consultant :)

I would be too far away from the hospital and tbh,too much of a chicken!!
    I take my hat off to you,especially on baby number 1.

Yes, first baby. Is this your first too?

Yep first baby too. A home birth isn't on my agenda, my bmi wouldn't allow it.

I am really hoping to try gentle birthing and to stay at home for as long as possible before going to the hospital.

Ok so my morning sickness has set a routine. I'm sick at 730/8 every morning, I wake to sick if not already awake.

I'm wondering if it would make any difference getting up at 3.30/4am and having two slices of toast???

Being sick on an empty tummy really is quiet painful

Ok so my morning sickness has set a routine. I'm sick at 730/8 every morning, I wake to sick if not already awake.

I'm wondering if it would make any difference getting up at 3.30/4am and having two slices of toast???

Being sick on an empty tummy really is quiet painful

Oh I feel your pain! It might help, I was waking up feeling acutely sick at 6.00am and took it as my cue to get something into me (have box of Rice Crispies and bowl/spoon permanently stationed in my bedside locker at this stage) and managed to keep it down. Find myself having to eat something every 2 hours throughout the whole day or I will get sick.

How on earth do people do this twice??

• Advertisement

Oh I feel your pain! It might help, I was waking up feeling acutely sick at 6.00am and took it as my cue to get something into me (have box of Rice Crispies and bowl/spoon permanently stationed in my bedside locker at this stage) and managed to keep it down. Find myself having to eat something every 2 hours throughout the whole day or I will get sick.

How on earth do people do this twice??

In terms of the nausea and that kind of thing it's actually proving a bit easier on me this time around. One school of thought on that is that pregnancy isn't as much of a shock to your body the second time around. Who knows but I'm happy to be feeling good........ Mostly.
    I do have horrid heartburn, a sore back and I'm tired with an 8 month old on the go too but it's all good!

[quote="sambucus nigra;95648709"

How on earth do people do this twice??[/quote]

I'm guessing the joy of a new baby makes you forget it all.

We are going away with my family this weekend for my 30th and I am feeling a bit sorry for myself. I am pretty steady at being sick 5 times a day, can't do much in the spa and a fancy dinner has no appeal :( I just keep telling myself it's a blessing

Penny D, how do you have the energy for an 8 month old???

I think it's best if you're 30 minutes or less away from the hospital just to make an eventual transfer easier on you and baby. There's no limit written in stone though, just need to discuss with your midwife and consultant :)

Wow go you and the elective homebirth on your first, that's impressive!!
    I almost had a home/car birth on my second, not by choice lol!

Sorry to hear of the morning sickness ladies, it must be awful, I have to say I've been blessed so far that I never had it, mum/sisters didn't either so maybe it's a genetic thing...I don't know.

On another note....is anyone else HUGE at this early stage? I'm finding it hard to hold in my tummy in work, and was going to hold off telling close family until I get a scan to make sure all is ok....at this rate I'll need to tell them next week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinocicero

Does anyone else have a really weird combination of nausea and feeling really hungry?? I'm always starving and feeling crap at the same time before lunch and dinner, it's a really strange feeling. I think maybe I need more snacking and smaller main meals or something.

Dinocicero wrote: »
    Does anyone else have a really weird combination of nausea and feeling really hungry?? I'm always starving and feeling crap at the same time before lunch and dinner, it's a really strange feeling. I think maybe I need more snacking and smaller main meals or something.

I'm starving the past few days,eating dinner as soon as I'm in from work at 4. We used to eat at 7-8.
    My nausea has officially kicked in this evening though but haven't gotten sick yet. Have slept for an hour though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement