Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, what's next?

Options
  • 27-01-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭

Hmmn, I'm not even sure if this is going to post as a training log so here goes.

I have realised now that once I post a moan on the graduate thread, as currently not following a plan, that it will motivate me to run so have been encouraged to set up a training log.

About me: I'm 37 and running 2.5 years.
    Achievements to date:
    First race Simon Fun Run Oct 2012, 41.04, next year 37.56 so thrilled.
    Second race: Great Ireland Run Phoenix Park April 2013, hated this. 53.41. Decided I was never going to run again and then saw my name in the Indo and my time that I bet our very fit Minister for Sport at the time so the following day I bought a Garmin and on the Wed had entered the Clontarf Half Marathon in July 2013.
    Third race: Clontarf HM - HEATWAVE, Temp as per Met Eireann 23.5 degrees. Loved this race and a time of 2.06.
    Fourth race: Dublin 10m RS Aug 2013- 1.24. Loved this event. Really fantastic.
    Fifth race: Dublin HM, another hot day, Sept 2013. Hard going. 1.54
    Sixth race: Grant Thornton 5km, Sept 2013 - 23.04, Sept 2014 22.37
    Anniversary of first race, Dublin fun run: 37.56 thrilled.

I didn't then do much over the Winter due to being sick so made a rash decision to get me back on the road and entered the Ray D'arcy Laura Lynn HM. I trained in 38 days and completed in a time of 1.49. Another hot day and hated the route but the crowd were amazing.

After doing this I decided to stick with it and do the full RS, well the first 4 races, and see how I got on and think about the marathon.

I joined boards as was advised of the help that this would provide for my training. This for me really paid off thanks to the wonderful Ososlo and all her supporters and friendly and very helpful novices. I followed the intermediate plan, well mostly, from June to October. I had one bad long run in all this time and most races went ok. I hated the 5m and HM but completed all and apart from being devastated at the t-shirts I was happy with my progress so I entered DCM in July 2014. My 10km and 10m were the best improvements for me. Fingal 10km in 47.46 and 10 mile 1.19.

DCM for me was an amazing day and experience. I loved it. I followed the advice to enjoy it as it is your first marathon and I'm so glad I did. Amazing support and a really super day.

Since then training has been a bit wobbly and very inconsistent. What I have done now to motivate myself is join a gym. Not any gym of course and my novice friends may remember Peter 'the torture merchant' Mathews as I nearly wiped out with the pain of deep tissue massages. I've done 2 personal training sessions so far and another two this week to get me back on track and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm really here then to log and get me back motivated. I know I have to sign up for a race but nothing planned as yet.

YTD I've done 3 runs. Yearly total so far is 11 miles :eek:.

Aim is also not just get back running but keep weight down to as about 9stone 3lbs at the minute and would rather be the other side of 9stone.

All help, support and criticism is welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done on starting the log, would you consider following Clearier's plan from the Graduates thread?

Maybe also pick a target race to aim for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey Adrian,

I think it's too advanced for me at the minute with my 3 runs all year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Really? I think if you spend 3 or so weeks just running 3-4 times per week and then start that at week 1 it would be a good plan to follow.

Maybe post on the thread and Clearier will respond to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Hey aquinn,

Good to see the log. As Adrian said if you got back into a routine over the next few weeks the graduate plan is easy to follow and can be adjusted to suit how many days you can run. Clearlier put up a post at one stage to say which days to do according to how many days you can run. And I'm sure he mentioned about dropping or adding a few minutes to the runs depending on whether you thought it was a bit too challenging or easy for your current level - have a look back through the thread around the time he and the plan were introduced.

The good thing as well is because it's done by time goals and not distance, it you do them according to your easy hr you're only running what's suited to you, not trying to hit X miles if you're not quite ready.

Ah cool, thank you both for help and encouragement. Will have a look at the plan and see how I go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Delighted to see you start this A!
    Mcgrattans seems like yonks ago!!!
    Hope the log helps with the motivation and like the others have said, Clearlier has a wealth of knowledge that you should tap into on that thread.
    As was said already, get the consistency back with the regular easy runs before adding in the faster stuff and maybe pick a race to target in a few months.
    Will be following closely!!!

Here I go with my first log.

Monday lunchtime run - 4 miles, 32 minutes.
    I haven't run on lunch in over a year and I'd forgotten how great it is to get home and be smug that the run is done and the dog can get a decent walk. A great run around Ringsend and Grand Canal. I also did something new and ran with a colleague so it was nice to chat as this has to improve fitness! Slight stich I'd say from weekend excess but at least the smell of Corona and Jaeger is no longer following me around like Sunday.
    Also managed 11824 steps so still attempting 10000 a day.

Tuesday - personal training
    Great experience at Functional Training. Weights, squats, TRX thing, plank pushup so 2 circuits of training and very enjoyable with great variety.
    Lot of walking today as lunchtime walk and getting home after training and dog walk means 19420 steps today! New record obviously and only achieved as bike crash last week due to stupid pedestrian not checking the road before crossing so bike written off. Complete pain not having bike.

Ososlo wrote:
    Delighted to see you start this A! Mcgrattans seems like yonks ago!!! Hope the log helps with the motivation and like the others have said, Clearlier has a wealth of knowledge that you should tap into on that thread. As was said already, get the consistency back with the regular easy runs before adding in the faster stuff and maybe pick a race to target in a few months. Will be following closely!!!

I still miss you and yet haven't improved much on reading your log. I'm still on February last year!
    I hope all is well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

9 stone 3. Ah here. Best of luck.

beertons wrote:

AH HERE!
    I said criticism was welcome but so harsh on day one?
    sob.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

aquinn wrote: »
    I still miss you and yet haven't improved much on reading your log. I'm still on February last year!
    I hope all is well.

Ah there's no need to miss me! I'm right here:D

Don't be reading that drivel! I can tell you what happens in the end:)

V windy lunch, 4miles in 32.

This was hard going, random pain again at side that was there for the full run. Was hard in the wind but a good pace so happy that it's done. Same route and company as Monday so would hope to stick with this twice a week.
    Few pains from Monday's run and last nights training session. Need to foam roll, stretch and of course work on core so all will be added in, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hello A, good on you, getting started again... best of luck with training and with the log... I'm just getting started back into it myself so you're inspiring me!

annapr wrote:
    Hello A, good on you, getting started again... best of luck with training and with the log... I'm just getting started back into it myself so you're inspiring me!

Heya!
    How are you getting on? You're training? Murph_D is the only full training log I've managed to read!
    If you fancy a gentle neighbourhood jog let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Heya!
    How are you getting on? You're training? Murph_D is the only full training log I've managed to read!
    If you fancy a gentle neighbourhood jog let me know.

That would be great... I'll PM you my number. Like yourself, my mileage this year so far is very low so any incentive welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

beertons wrote: »
    I sniff a Bridget Jones reference here :D AQ...9.3??? Get outta here, no granny knickers for you yet :) Great to see you start this, you have improved hugely and now we're all here to keep you on the straight and narrow.....

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I sniff a Bridget Jones reference here :D AQ...9.3??? Get outta here, no granny knickers for you yet :) Great to see you start this, you have improved hugely and now we're all here to keep you on the straight and narrow.....

Ha ha, thanks Dubgal. Always run in Granny knickers though, didn't recently in the cold and felt like I'd two solid blocks on my ass, it was my fat freezing! I think I said 'about 9,3'. WII went missing so can't weigh myself so that's a guess.
    It's good to have the motivation back and want to train though. Still have yet to start on your log but it's on my list.

Thursday night personal training session in FTI

Another great session. Crawling on the floor doing push-ups/bear crawls. My coordination at times is awful. More squats with weights and TRX bands. Also arm presses. To 'finish me off' was put on a bike for 20 seconds flat out, 35 second break *4. Legs went on the last one. It's hard going. Was advised to wear my HRM so might try that to get an idea of training heart rate and might kick me quicker into Graduate training plan.

Was checking out K club 10km and Terenure 5 mile as being kicked around on logs and good races. Still sorry I wasn't ready for Raheny as always heard great reports.

Hoping to get out for a run this afternoon. Will be on a new training ground which will be interesting as don't know where I'll end up but weather looking good at least.

Happy Friday folks!

Weekend recap!

Friday's run didn't happen, shopping and lunch took precedent.

Sat morning - 4.25 miles @ 8.18 pace.
    This was hard going. If it wasn't for the creme egg/galaxy egg and hot chocolate on Friday I would have given up. The wind on one stretch I'm surprised I was still moving. Slight incline that I used to be well used to running hurt. Was under time strain so stopped after 4 but this was hard enough. Didn't have the random side pain like during the lunchtime runs. Briefly foam rolled and stretched.

Sunday morning 3.21 miles at 8.30 pace.
    I had thought of this as a nice gentle run but went a bit too fast as I realised. Tight calves and now have shin pain too so again only briefly foam rolled. It was a good run though, I enjoyed it.
    Finally got the WII re-connected and after a 50 day absence I'm up 3 lbs! This is after a 'good and healthy' eating week, apart from the creme eggs so I'm done with those. BMI is 25.88 too so being really good with diet and exercise this week. I still spent all yesterday in denial that the weight reading must be wrong and then getting dressed this morning I put on a fitted dress, that lasted about 2 mins till I realised I was fat in it and that the WII wasn't lying.

A fun afternoon then spent testing new bikes.

Tonight then a group session in functional training, this will be a first. Nice small group of 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Weekend recap!

Friday's run didn't happen, shopping and lunch took precedent.

Sat morning - 4.25 miles @ 8.18 pace.
    This was hard going. If it wasn't for the creme egg/galaxy egg and hot chocolate on Friday I would have given up. The wind on one stretch I'm surprised I was still moving. Slight incline that I used to be well used to running hurt. Was under time strain so stopped after 4 but this was hard enough. Didn't have the random side pain like during the lunchtime runs. Briefly foam rolled and stretched.

Sunday morning 3.21 miles at 8.30 pace.
    I had thought of this as a nice gentle run but went a bit too fast as I realised. Tight calves and now have shin pain too so again only briefly foam rolled. It was a good run though, I enjoyed it.
    Finally got the WII re-connected and after a 50 day absence I'm up 3 lbs! This is after a 'good and healthy' eating week, apart from the creme eggs so I'm done with those. BMI is 25.88 too so being really good with diet and exercise this week. I still spent all yesterday in denial that the weight reading must be wrong and then getting dressed this morning I put on a fitted dress, that lasted about 2 mins till I realised I was fat in it and that the WII wasn't lying.

A fun afternoon then spent testing new bikes.

Tonight then a group session in functional training, this will be a first. Nice small group of 3.

There should be some sort of alert when another DCM graduate starts a new log :-) I just found yours today, another one to follow yay! I was going to suggest a lunchtime run hookup (I also run around docklands/ringsend) but then I saw your paces - maybe you'll say hi as you whizz past me :D. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    There should be some sort of alert when another DCM graduate starts a new log :-) I just found yours today, another one to follow yay! I was going to suggest a lunchtime run hookup (I also run around docklands/ringsend) but then I saw your paces - maybe you'll say hi as you whizz past me :D. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

No, come on. That would be great. will PM number. We'll go nice and gentle so it won't be a Monday or Wed anyway as colleague is flat out!

Monday lunchtime run 4.12 miles in 33.03, pace 8.02

A good run, out with colleague again and this time I tracked it on Garmin. Turns out last weeks runs weren't 4 miles but about 3.8. Tough going but of course glad that it's done and have a rest until Wed.

Did a group session at FTI last night. 3 of us and it was good. 2 circuits, 3 times. Nothing too horrific but everything is watched so corrected which is good. Woke up at 5.30 with a sore/tight back so now have a sore ass! May have been too aggressive with cellulite massager this morning or am sore from class. Actually not sure which did the damage. Need to ease out hips and lie on pilates balls for back (which is more ass now in fairness). Weak glutes and all that.

It's ok, don't panic. I haven't given up yet.

I went to the physio at FTI on Wed as back at me since Monday, Am still not sleeping right at all as waking up tight and pain. I was given exercises to stretch out and suggested to sit on a tennis ball and cross legs to ease out glutes. The pain of this!

So Thursday and Friday we'll call rest day.

Sat morning I wanted to run but took a long time to get up as bad sleep. Did a lovely 5miles out the seafront in @ 8.29 pace. My calves are tight and really felt it on a slight incline which isn't good. Pace dropped to 9.30 for a time. Only a bit of a breeze in the last mile. Was a nice run. No music either as shuffle not charged. Back was sore throughout which wouldn't normally get me.
    Once home I stretched, foam rolled, sat on tennis ball (ouch), threw myself onto pilates spikey balls and finally found the ache in my back so that helped.

Sunday morning 7.19 miles @9.51 with Annapr. Fantastic to meet up with fellow Graduate and do a nice gentle jog. Very enjoyable route out through Fairview Park, up the seafront and out along towards the statue. Biting breeze at times on the way back but still a beautiful morning. Very enjoyable. We're hoping to attempt Ecolis diagonal training on Sat morning, the 5km pace for 10-12 mins. Advice is find a football rather than GAA pitch :)

Monday 4.12+miles. Nice and easy with colleague today 36 mins.
    Both feeling weekend runs so went nice and gentle today and was very enjoyable. Good start to a new week. FTI training too tonight and picked up amazing new bike. Legs were weak this morning on it after not having it for the last 3 weeks.

Tuesday was....Personal training session last night in FTI went really well. The format is a warm-up of 8 or 12 reps of 3 exercises x 3. Lunges, squats and bridges. 2 Circuits x 3 for arms, legs and core work and to finish 'conditioning' this is the pukey part where you go flat out on the bike for 15 seconds with a 35 second break x 6. Legs start to go weak at knees at round 5 but doable.

Steps managed 9685, so close! Monday was 2782 and Sunday 248 so at least improving. Still had cake last night so might have undone some of the good work but oh well, dinner was healthy enough.

Wednesday - Lunchtime run 4.01m in 32.43:07.8.10 pace.
    This was a 'we'll take it easy run'. Was really enjoyable. Out along the canal to Portabello Bridge and back. Pace was 7.15 at least once on the way back. Pace wasn't too easy or too hard which is a great feeling, it just felt great. Delighted. Last mile done in 8.01.

Out with Firedance for lunch tomorrow :)

Pain and tightness in calves has massively eased due to rolling foot on tennis ball so at least I'll do that whilst drying my hair each morning and add that morning routine. Will even invest in another ball for the desk as can't believe the difference.

This is one of my best weeks in a long time but then still reading and catching up on Dubgals log. OMFG some times and training. Incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Tuesday was....Personal training session last night in FTI went really well. The format is a warm-up of 8 or 12 reps of 3 exercises x 3. Lunges, squats and bridges. 2 Circuits x 3 for arms, legs and core work and to finish 'conditioning' this is the pukey part where you go flat out on the bike for 15 seconds with a 35 second break x 6. Legs start to go weak at knees at round 5 but doable.

Steps managed 9685, so close! Monday was 2782 and Sunday 248 so at least improving. Still had cake last night so might have undone some of the good work but oh well, dinner was healthy enough.

Wednesday - Lunchtime run 4.01m in 32.43:07.8.10 pace.
    This was a 'we'll take it easy run'. Was really enjoyable. Out along the canal to Portabello Bridge and back. Pace was 7.15 at least once on the way back. Pace wasn't too easy or too hard which is a great feeling, it just felt great. Delighted. Last mile done in 8.01.

Out with Firedance for lunch tomorrow :)

Pain and tightness in calves has massively eased due to rolling foot on tennis ball so at least I'll do that whilst drying my hair each morning and add that morning routine. Will even invest in another ball for the desk as can't believe the difference.

This is one of my best weeks in a long time but then still reading and catching up on Dubgals log. OMFG some times and training. Incredible

I hope you'll be in need of recovery run :D those are some very impressive paces. p.s. if you check out Lauras log there's a trail run being organised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Haha just saw that last bit, thanks :o Was going to grab you to tell you to check out Laura's log for a planned trail run in Djouce in a couple of weeks. (we have temporarily hi jacked it :) ) Put your name down if you can and I'll start a Djouce thread tomorrow.
    Nice training, sore reading it :)
    I love the foot rolling too, ECOLII recommended a 500ml soft drinks bottle (I refuse to name any of those spawn of the devil :D ) filled with frozen water for the same purpose. It has the added advantage of reducing inflammation. Reminds me...*scoots off to roll*

Super, thank you both. Will now start on Laura's log and see what ye are planning.

I'd forgotten how absolutely fabulous pilates is for a runner. Went last night for the first time in over 8 months and it was great. Was not looking forward to going at all as after a run at lunch and cycle along the coast I was tired but it was a really super class. Got both hips to crack and the joy as they've been tight of late. Leg and random muscle quivering in the air as I flexed foot, fantastic. I've got 3 sessions booked in for the next week and a half as using up last years sessions. Got home, had a bath and expecting an amazing nights sleep after all that and was awake after an hour and a half, not happy. Sleep horrendous of late. Hoping amazing new pillow being collected tomorrow will make a difference.

Now have a lunchtime run with Firedance to look forward too. WII again not my friend this morning and advising BMI is still going up instead of down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I love the foot rolling too, ECOLII recommended a 500ml soft drinks bottle (I refuse to name any of those spawn of the devil :D ) filled with frozen water for the same purpose. It has the added advantage of reducing inflammation. Reminds me...*scoots off to roll*

Indeed it is great for taking the tightness out of the posterior tib. Had been using a sliothar over Christmas in Dublin but went for a hockey ball on discount when I got back to Edinburgh. Sore but very effective!

• Advertisement

Another Boardsie meeting this week! Met Firedance for 4.54 miles around the Docklands. Very enjoyable at pace 10.01 so lovely for legs.
    Also just spotted a Bootcamp offer so will be starting that in the next week or two as FTI training is up.
    Tomorrow then is going to be a rest day from bike and running as hoping Sat to do St Annes Parkrun, my first up there, and try the HR test. Have to work out of course how to work HRM but feeling positive.

Advertisement