Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear about your girlfriend, it must be tough on you right now. It's brilliant that you have people to talk to, and that you're taking a break from the farm.

Personally, I've gone to yoga/pilates/dance classes - I find they work cos you're on your own BUT in a group and are focusing on the task at hand. I've gone to things while very stressed and found I barely thought about what was troubling me for that hour or so.

If those things arent your cup of tea then running or golf might be great if you had some company perhaps? I love running myself but not the alone time as I can overthink a bit then. I can't say anything about team sports personally but if you're already involved in a team or were in the past it could be brilliant for you physically, mentally and socially to take part, get the endorphin buzz and enjoy whatever craic goes with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

i just received email response about two jobs i've been applied for, that they have better suitable candidates... i try not to go down but its dragging me, i can feel it .. :(

Joya wrote: »
    i just received email response about two jobs i've been applied for, that they have better suitable candidates... i try not to go down but its dragging me, i can feel it .. :(
    :( that's an awful feeling, sorry you had to hear about both of them. Are there any other ones you can apply for at the moment? I know how tough it is applying in the aftermath of hearing bad news about other jobs you went for, it;s very demotivating

stinkle wrote: »
    :( that's an awful feeling, sorry you had to hear about both of them. Are there any other ones you can apply for at the moment? I know how tough it is applying in the aftermath of hearing bad news about other jobs you went for, it;s very demotivating

yes it does feel devastating. i mean, i am an architect and i worked in my field for years and i could never see this coming upon me..
    now i am finishing all these schools in IT sector they were all promising us jobs afterwards but it is so tough.. i only had 8 months of internship where well they literally exploited me promising me paid job all the time just so they let me go in the end and took another two interns.. i got depression shortly after that, it had that effect on me.. i did not get depressed after i had to have 3 surgeries in 2009, or was let go from my old work, or when my mom died or when i got divorced (yes it all happened one after another) but after those 8 months i guess i just crashed..
    even a friend of mine who did not even finish a course i did 2 years ago found a job 2 months ago and it seems as a good one.. he is of course male and younger..
    i am starting to fear i will never a job again :(.. ...

I hear it's very difficult for architects right now. The internship sounds dreadful, no wonder it had such a bad effect on you. Work-related stress is very different to things like illness and bereavement (IMO and experience), and after you being through so much already no wonder you crashed. I saw a quote recently about how this sort of thing isnt a weakness, but rather a sign that youve been strong for so long (but put a bit more eloquently)

• Advertisement

yes, for architects its almost impossible to find a job, even here and there you can see an ad for it as opposed to for example 2 years ago when it was an absolute zero.
    i am applying for jobs in IT and mostly junior ones, cause well, i am now in that role, but they are looking for example for junior with 3 years of experience .. and loads or like skills and extras.. i mean, what happened to previous years..

anyway i have to hope that someone will give me a chance.. lucky me i still have 4 exams in September so have something to focus on at the moment and to think, perhaps its even better, i don't know..

but it is depressing.. if someone told me 5 years ago i'd find myself in this situation i would not believe it... no way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

My anxiety/tension headaches have flared up in a bad way so I'm on zydol for a few days.

A bit groggy but needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I have gotten the eye problems, unfocused, painful at times, hypersensitivity to light and to sound. They could be symptoms of other problems like vitamin deficiencies etc. though

i woke up early this morning with some strange uncomfortable feeling inside how something is so wrong and is pressing me.. yet i could not figure out what is the cause of that.. it lasted about an hour, i could not get back to sleep.. when i finally did after i woke up again it partially disappeared.. so i took my medicine and am a little better now.. have a slight headache though.. hope day will be better as it goes on..
    anyway, hi everyone....how are you today..

is it an anxiety thing Joya? Like you feel crap/worried and have no clue why? It's flipping annoying and I'm sorta going through it myself. I usually feel alright once I get on with things (eg if I wake feeling that way its gone once I'm up and showered).

• Advertisement

is it an anxiety thing Joya? Like you feel crap/worried and have no clue why? It's flipping annoying and I'm sorta going through it myself. I usually feel alright once I get on with things (eg if I wake feeling that way its gone once I'm up and showered).

yes could be, sounds like it..
    well i was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety last year, and am on meds since December.. i still feel in unease to talk about it so even typing these things here are helping..
    so yea, ill say i am on ciprager.. anyone else have any experiences with it?
    sometimes i "manage to sort myself out" just about 6pm in the evening.. i know it is quite a log time but so be it..
    then i manage to have few hours of some work, even lately actually i do push myself to shower and work about that time because my flatmate is coming back from work so it helps :however this may sound:

ah good that posting is helping! I'm on Xanax - very low dose for when I've a specific situation looming, and I've tried really hard to not take it very often cos it makes me very drowsy even at that dose. Unfortunately I've had loads going on so being drowsy wasn;t desirable.

Some people are more lively in the evenings anyway, try not to let that bother you if you're a bit better then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

ah good that posting is helping! I'm on Xanax - very low dose for when I've a specific situation looming, and I've tried really hard to not take it very often cos it makes me very drowsy even at that dose. Unfortunately I've had loads going on so being drowsy wasn;t desirable.

Some people are more lively in the evenings anyway, try not to let that bother you if you're a bit better then.

I remember i took three rivotrill before some meeting once. Came out of the meeting and couldnt remember a thing. was strange

yes, its my case, i can function after 5pm all before that is a pain :)

btw i was on 40mg for a while, i know it is lots it is actually maximum allowed.

but i started to cut the dose myself gradually, and managed to be for about a week on 10, and even few days ff completely..
    but i was not good. i had the old symptoms back so i am getting onto it now again, 10 to 20..

is it different than Xanax? i've heard about it.. perhaps i can ask my gp to switch..
    because when on Ciprager i noticed it works for a while and then somehow your body gets used to it and you do not feel those benefits like before but symptoms f anxiety and urges are coming back.. i was so surprised when i experienced that first time.. and disappointed as well
    i thought, what kind is this med when i experience this even when i am taking it..

so now i am experimenting myself.. i also started to take it not in the morning but later in the afternoon or even evening because then i feel better when i get up.. (apart from today..)

I had to take one before a meeting when I was jetlagged. That was the last one I took recently cos I almost fell asleep at my desk - could barely face going home. Not fun.

Joya wrote: »
    yes, its my case, i can function after 5pm all before that is a pain :)

when it gets dark i function better. I think i feel guilty during the day because i am on the dole and would wish to be working.

The problem is i am in a bind. I want to work, but the jobs i can work in are limited because i feel so much stress in some jobs. Particularly jobs where everyday is different. I wouldnt be able to sleep at night.

So i am looking for jobs where i am doing the same thing day in day out. That i can do. Wont be as much money, but will be happier.

Hands up whos suffering because:

A) They made a mistake and regret it
    B) They are unemployed and would like to work
    C) They are genetically predisposed to depression
    D) All three previous answers combined
    E) Something else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I get that feeling anxious/crap and not knowing why , its really frustrating and worrying in itself.
    I might have said this before but www.aware.ie and support groups can be very helpful with depression and anixety.
    Joya have you read what color is your parachute ? Its good on looking for jobs and what to do when you already have had experience of one area and are moving into another. So somewhere that does IT but also need architure expertise for example..
    I think jobs are one of the worst triggers as its not really accepted as being as damaging as beravement/illness/divorce - when in fact because it can go on and on for a long time, it can actually harder in terms of recovery time etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Am I the only one who gets more anxious, more headaches and more down in this kind of weather?

Am I the only one who gets more anxious, more headaches and more down in this kind of weather?

same with me, but its a combination of things. Not working being the main thing. I generally feel better at night though

• Advertisement

InReality wrote: »
    I get that feeling anxious/crap and not knowing why , its really frustrating and worrying in itself.
    I might have said this before but www.aware.ie and support groups can be very helpful with depression and anixety.
    Joya have you read what color is your parachute ? Its good on looking for jobs and what to do when you already have had experience of one area and are moving into another. So somewhere that does IT but also need architure expertise for example..
    I think jobs are one of the worst triggers as its not really accepted as being as damaging as beravement/illness/divorce - when in fact because it can go on and on for a long time, it can actually harder in terms of recovery time etc

For the common man there is so much emphasis placed on having a job and a family and i think if we are without both it can rub off on us consciously. if you have one of the two and its a enjoyable job/relationship you can survive. Having none can effect you though.

Freud said love and work because statistically those were shown to make most people mentally positive. Of course when you are in a relationship or job that causes stress, they then can affect you negatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Roquentin wrote: »
    Hands up whos suffering because:

A) They made a mistake and regret it
    B) They are unemployed and would like to work
    C) They are genetically predisposed to depression
    D) All three previous answers combined
    E) Something else

Can you be C? Is one more likely to be depressed if their parent has it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Roquentin,

I'd be of the opinion that both options D and E can be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

C (maybe) and E for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

C (maybe) and E for me.

A, C and E here.

We should hang! :D

marie12 wrote: »
    Can you be C? Is one more likely to be depressed if their parent has it?

the parent may have had the gene but it wasnt expressed. I remember reading about a guy who was just prone to it. He had a good life and was young. Just would fall into despair.

Some people can tolerate stress greatly while others cant. whether its environmental or genetic or both, dont know.

i'd probably be abe..

I probably should have put in something about relationships as well. Forgot that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Roquentin wrote: »
    the parent may have had the gene but it wasnt expressed. I remember reading about a guy who was just prone to it. He had a good life and was young. Just would fall into despair.

Some people can tolerate stress greatly while others cant. whether its environmental or genetic or both, dont know.

Thanks my mother gets very depressed. She's manic. I often wonder if I'll get it too. I do get anxious but doesn't everyone.

• Advertisement

marie12 wrote: »
    Thanks my mother gets very depressed. She's manic. I often wonder if I'll get it too. I do get anxious but doesn't everyone.

there is a gene for schizophrenia. Manic i dont know. Certainly people should look at their extended family and see if there are any histories of psychiatric illness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement