Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

MfMan wrote: »
    Ho hum. Don't think he was asked back in the first place, think the panel as a group were against his return. Greg Higgins gone in solidarity too I think.

What did he do to annoy the resty of the panel so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is Duane back in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 galwaylad98

Lads,
    Just a heads up don't leave any valuables in dressing rooms during matches. Ahascragh were playing Gort in Gort in an U14 hurling match. During the game some older Ahascragh lads went in and stole a Gort lads iphone 5. Gaurds were able to track in on PC and get it back. Terrible thing for any young lad to do

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sporter1

Any team news for the hurling tomorrow ?

sporter1 wrote: »
    Any team news for the hurling tomorrow ?

Galway (HL v Kilkenny) - C Callanan; J Coen, R Burke, D Collins; A Harte, I Tannian, Daithi Burke; David Burke, P Brehony; N Burke, C Cooney, A Smith; N Healy, J Glynn, C Mannion.

Moore out injured. Canning starts on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Galway (HL v Kilkenny) - C Callanan; J Coen, R Burke, D Collins; A Harte, I Tannian, Daithi Burke; David Burke, P Brehony; N Burke, C Cooney, A Smith; N Healy, J Glynn, C Mannion.

Moore out injured. Canning starts on the bench.

Will he though? We'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Not sure about the make up of the forward line but we'll see how it goes. Not particularly bothered if Galway win or lose this but we need to see a good performance tomorrow. We've had 3 fairly good games in a row, we need to make that 4 tomorrow and keep building ahead of the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Good game Galway. Close in the end and really that goal was the only thing that separated the sides. Kilkenny should be favourites to take League Title.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

No fkn fwrds - JC all washed up at 26. He can count all his club medals now - no ambition to be the best he could have been. He's no Ollie, never mind Henry. Very frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No fkn fwrds - JC all washed up at 26. He can count all his club medals now - no ambition to be the best he could have been. He's no Ollie, never mind Henry. Very frustrating

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read some comments on this forum.

Joesph Canning is 25, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

He's coming off an injury and has played very little league hurling. Washed up at 25 get real.

If nothing else I'm very happy to see Ronan Burke have a good League at FB and Tan slotted in well at CHB. Brehony has been very good and had a quiet game by his standards today. Then you have Cooney who seems to have gotten a big confidence boost from being put on frees.

That said though there's a fair gulf between Galway and the top 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Tan slotting in well at Centre Back? He was torn a new one against Waterford, Waterford!!!!!

Who in the backs played well that day? Wasn't great against KK away either but I've been happy otherwise from what I've seen/heard.

h2005 wrote: »
    He's coming off an injury and has played very little league hurling. Washed up at 25 get real.
    I'm struggling to remember when he last played well in a full game for us, the drawn AI in 2012 he played well in the first half. He's 26 this year to all those pedantics, he can't use the too young/only learning excuse anymore. Seems to be v happy fulfilling his ambitions @ club, great players need to dominate at intercounty to be worthy of the title. Ollie always did. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we've seen the best of him in the maroon jersey.

James Regan was great at club the year Thomas's won the All-Ireland. Doesn't mean he isn't arsed to play at intercounty it just means the quality is far higher.

I think the game was lost on the line today.

We were going well in the first half, 11 points isn't a bad total and Cooney should have scored the goal(AC needs to ban players from hitting goal chances into the ground, that chance follows N.Burkes missed one against Clare) which would have boosted that more.

We came out for the second half then and decided to go back to rotating our forwards every few minutes.

There hasn't been one game where this has worked for us, all it does is leads to situations where the ball is played into no mans land or 1 v 2s
    This was the case last year and that second half was a carbon copy of all that we did bad in 2013.

Glynn MUST stay at FF, he tries his best but hasn't the stick work, pace or agility to be used on the wing.
    They did the same thing against Tipp, he tore Tipp to shreds at FF, then he was moved to the wing for the start of the second half and we hadn't a sniff at goal for the rest of the game.]

I really hope that was some ridicules ploy to throw our opponents off guard ahead of the Championship as when we rotate forwards, we stop scoring and make the oppositions backs jobs a lot easier.
    I'd have my doubts though as the writing was on the wall from before the league semi in 2013, and we just kept walking towards the inevitable with zero alterations to adjust.

As things stand I'd go for Glynn/Canning at FF, then whatever mix in the HF/Mid sector.
    The most important thing has to be sticking to the positions.
    It's no good for Joe or Glynn to be thrown out to the wings and Cooney is doing his best work out the field so pointless moving him into FF.

Lets see what they do in a few weeks, though 2013 would suggest they'll keep persisting with what clearly doesn't work.

Fair play to the backs again today.
    Can't keep the score lower than that and I'd say Callanan is the best keeper is the country between the league semis last year and now(anyone who remembers the semi last year would remember some remarkable saves he made that day before being dropped again for Skehill)

I think the game was lost on the line today.

We were going well in the first half, 11 points isn't a bad total and Cooney should have scored the goal(AC needs to ban players from hitting goal chances into the ground, that chance follows N.Burkes missed one against Clare) which would have boosted that more.

We came out for the second half then and decided to go back to rotating our forwards every few minutes.

There hasn't been one game where this has worked for us, all it does is leads to situations where the ball is played into no mans land or 1 v 2s
    This was the case last year and that second half was a carbon copy of all that we did bad in 2013.

Glynn MUST stay at FF, he tries his best but hasn't the stick work, pace or agility to be used on the wing.
    They did the same thing against Tipp, he tore Tipp to shreds at FF, then he was moved to the wing for the start of the second half and we hadn't a sniff at goal for the rest of the game.]

I really hope that was some ridicules ploy to throw our opponents off guard ahead of the Championship as when we rotate forwards, we stop scoring and make the oppositions backs jobs a lot easier.
    I'd have my doubts though as the writing was on the wall from before the league semi in 2013, and we just kept walking towards the inevitable with zero alterations to adjust.

As things stand I'd go for Glynn/Canning at FF, then whatever mix in the HF/Mid sector.
    The most important thing has to be sticking to the positions.
    It's no good for Joe or Glynn to be thrown out to the wings and Cooney is doing his best work out the field so pointless moving him into FF.

Lets see what they do in a few weeks, though 2013 would suggest they'll keep persisting with what clearly doesn't work.

Fair play to the backs again today.
    Can't keep the score lower than that and I'd say Callanan is the best keeper is the country between the league semis last year and now(anyone who remembers the semi last year would remember some remarkable saves he made that day before being dropped again for Skehill)
    Agree with most of the above - very heartened by what I'm seeing from the defence all year, but the fwrds are terribly frustrating. Conor Cooney has come on a ton in fairness, & Mannion has great potential, even if he found the going tough today. Another disappointing show from n Burke, whilst I've already said my piece on a few others. I know it's only the league, but the lack of scoring is a big concern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I'm struggling to remember when he last played well in a full game for us, the drawn AI in 2012 he played well in the first half. He's 26 this year to all those pedantics, he can't use the too young/only learning excuse anymore. Seems to be v happy fulfilling his ambitions @ club, great players need to dominate at intercounty to be worthy of the title. Ollie always did. Hope I'm wrong, but I think we've seen the best of him in the maroon jersey.

He was class against Dublin last year in the Leinster final. Galway were pathetic on the day but Joe was top class.

As regards the performance, it was a tricky one to evaluate. Some positives for sure, good first half and the backs were pretty decent throughout (nothing at all wrong with conceding 1-16, we should be able to outscore that) in particular the two Burkes were very good, Aidan Harte however was in huge trouble on TJ Reid but had Tan been available then he'd have played at 6 and maybe Daithi Burke could have picked up Reid. Collins, Coen and Cooney were ok, struggled at times but did well in patches too.

At midfield we were okay, Smyth played most of the game here and was vintage Smyth, very busy, on loads of ball but striking let him down once or twice but chipped in with 2 points, can be pleased with his performance overall. Burke beside him actually was about the only Galway player to have a better second half than first half, he got on far more ball second half. Breheny played at wing forward for most of his time on the pitch and got on loads of ball but always seemed to take wrong options or execute his options badly. Just one of those days but I wouldnt drop him.

Conor Cooney was superb, really really good and it now looks like he's ready to deliver on all his promise and become the top class intercounty forward we all knew he could be. 4 points from play, lead the attack well and hit his frees well. Niall Burke on the other side was poor, he has so much talent but half the time his mind just seems miles away from where it should be. His striking is just so sweet but he some days he just can't seem to get into the game and starts to take wrong options etc. Could be under pressure for his spot now.

Inside then we had Joe, Jonny Glynn and Mannion. Don't think any of these can be overly pleased with their days work. Canning and Mannion struggled to win ball and while Glynn won plenty his striking was so bad he couldn't make anything of it. I think Glynn has to be left at 14 or else dropped entirely. He's no use at all out in the half forward line becuase even when he catches it he's not able to do anything with it, where as if he catches a ball all he has to do is either flick off a pass or the full back probably has to foul him. He's far more effective in there as the big target man provided we keep a couple of players very close to him for breaks/passses etc. Mannion was quiet today but he's had a good league, I'd imagine he has a decent chance of keeping his place for championship. He could become a real good corner forward in time.
    Hard to know what to do with Canning, he didn't look at his best today for whatever reason. If we're going to have any chance this year we need to get the very best out of him whether thats in the full forward line (and I increasingly thing it isn't) or further out the field, we'll just have to wait and see. If we do play him inside I wouldn't mind seeing us maybe trying a system where him and Johnny Glynn basically play the full forward position and pump every ball into the 2 of them. They'd be a serious hand full for anyone. However more likely I think Joe will probably benefit from possibly being named at full forward but being given licence to roam wherever he likes and leave Glynn and maybe Niall Healy inside.

Overall the game today was lost just after half time, Kilkenny completely started to dominate, their backs got totally on top and everytime the ball was down on top of our backs a few seconds after they cleared it. And their forwards were then able to turn this possession into the scores they needed to get back in the match. I'd actually put more of the blame for this on our inside forward line than our half forward line, though the half line battled fairly well but the full forward line just couldn't win a ball or make a tackle for a lot of the second half, especially when Glynn was moved out. And also they didn't really create a single decent goal chance in there either which is a worry, I know Burke hit the crossbar but that was just from a line ball hit in and not as a result of good attacking play.

So in summary, pleased enough with the backs and midfield especially considering we still have Moore and Tan to slot back in but the forwards are a worry and it is pivotal that we find the correct role for Canning up in that forward line. Only forward than can be genuinely pleased today is Conor Cooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

One positive from this years League is we finally know the spine of our team ie. Callinan - R.Burke - Tannian - D.Burke, Smith - Cooney - Canning. Our best team for championship imo is:
    Callinan
    Moore - R.Burke - Coen
    Harte - Tannian - Collins
    D.Burke - Smith
    Donnelan - Cooney - Brehony
    Healy - Canning - Glynn

2nd half was a huge dissapointment. 4 points is a pathetic total to put up for 35 minutes of hurling at this level. Too many basic mistakes, too many instances of poor stick work / decision making giving Kilkenny handy scores and I struggle hugely to understand our puck out strategy. Also Galway should have been 3 or 4 further up at half time but missed some poor chances.

There have been positives to this league campaign unlike last year but two of those big positives struggled hugely today (Brehony and Mannion). Davy Glennon off the bench didn't really contribute. The league is the league at the end of the day and the main thing is to unearth a couple of new players and lay down a couple of markers. Today was an opportunity missed in my view against an ageing KK backline who will struggle against a pacy forward line come championship.

There is a hell of an amount of work to do before the summer. Not much point jumping on Canning's back. He knows he has to contribute a hell of a lot more if Galway are to have any hope of a semi-successful summer. Whatever is going on the management have to find a way of getting him back in the groove. We need to use possession better, I lost count of the number of times David Burke in acres of space didn't look up and just drove an aimless ball down the Kilkenny backs throat. Some good defensive work was ruined by aimless play.

Anyway, the club championship restarts next weekend, hopefully something can be taken from that and look to build towards championship.
    Still a few players to come back, whether they will get back at this stage is another matter.

Expectations will be low come championship which with Galway is never a bad thing. I hate that mentality that we have to come in under the radar but that's the way it is unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The Kilkenny backs today included Padraigh Walsh, Brian Kennedy, Cillian Buckley all under 21 last year Paul Murphy 24 with only JJ and Brian Hogan over the 30 mark.

That's true but JJ Delaney and Brian Hogan have huge milage up on the clock and I really believe they will struggle against a team with pace when they are moved out of position, Galway didn't have the pace or tactics to exploit this today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Plenty of lads calling for Conor Cooney's head last year are eating their words now. 20 years of age after playing a club championship and fitzgibbon and hurling all year round last year and people expecting him to work miracles. With a break and a full league behind him he's showing his true colours, class player. Player of the league for Galway without doubt.

I'd let Daithi Burke stay at 6 because that's where he has always played and he's a big strong lad. Tannion is too loose for centre back, the likes of a Tony Kelly, Colin Fennelly or Richie Hogan would cause him the world of problems if they start roaming. Put him back in midfield.

Awful surprised Gearoid McInerney didn't get a run the last day. He caused havoc down in Nolan Park with his pace and power and should have been brought on. He mightn't be the flashiest hurler with the best touch but over the years we've never struck a balance between these type of players and the McInerney's who are more about brute force. He could be a big weapon come championship if utilised correctly. He's very hard stop when he gets going and would be effective under the high ball.

Team for Championship

1.Callanan
    2.Moore
    3.R Burke
    4.Coen
    5.Collins
    6.D Burke
    7.Smith
    8.Tannion
    9.Brehony
    10.Donnellan
    11.Cooney
    12.McInerney/Mannion/David Burke
    13.Healy
    14.Canning
    15.Glynn

Plenty of lads calling for Conor Cooney's head last year are eating their words now. 20 years of age after playing a club championship and fitzgibbon and hurling all year round last year and people expecting him to work miracles. With a break and a full league behind him he's showing his true colours, class player. Player of the league for Galway without doubt.

I'd let Daithi Burke stay at 6 because that's where he has always played and he's a big strong lad. Tannion is too loose for centre back, the likes of a Tony Kelly, Colin Fennelly or Richie Hogan would cause him the world of problems if they start roaming. Put him back in midfield.

Awful surprised Gearoid McInerney didn't get a run the last day. He caused havoc down in Nolan Park with his pace and power and should have been brought on. He mightn't be the flashiest hurler with the best touch but over the years we've never struck a balance between these type of players and the McInerney's who are more about brute force. He could be a big weapon come championship if utilised correctly. He's very hard stop when he gets going and would be effective under the high ball.

Team for Championship

1.Callanan
    2.Moore
    3.R Burke
    4.Coen
    5.Collins
    6.D Burke
    7.Smith
    8.Tannion
    9.Brehony
    10.Donnellan
    11.Cooney
    13.Healy
    14.Canning
    15.Glynn
    Would agree with most of the above apart from smith @ wingback & Healy. Smith not good under the dropping ball, he probably doesn't have the necessary speed for it either. Healy unreliable for c'ship, think Glennon or Mannion a better bet. Mannion had a good league @ 13, worth a start come June. Harte or J Cooney should get the 7 slot. McInerney will be sub, great prospect for a yr r 2 thou - hurling mighty @ 6 for Oran/Maree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any hurling matches on in salthill tonorrow?

More in fighting in the squad again this week, at least they can rake it out on each other in the club games this weekend

deisedude wrote: »

Not sure but a decent double header in athenry, gort v loughrea and the all ireland champs v castlegar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Team for Championship

1.Callanan
    2.Moore
    3.R Burke
    4.Coen
    5.Collins
    6.D Burke
    7.Smith
    8.Tannion
    9.Brehony
    10.Donnellan
    11.Cooney
    13.Healy
    14.Canning
    15.Glynn

Would you not be playing a sweeper? Smyth and Harte both look very capable in that role. I would have thought you might see them both start.

Is Donnellan really a certainty to start ahead of Burke/Mannion/McInerney on the wing?

I'd also disagree with the poster below you, I rate Healy very highly. Obviously I haven't seen as much of him as Galway posters but he's a lively inside forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

More in fighting in the squad again this week, at least they can rake it out on each other in the club games this weekend

What's this about? E.g. Port' aren't meeting St. Toms...
    If true, which I rather doubt, strong management needed now, not when too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ryanair22

deisedude wrote: »

There are feile final hurling matches in pearse stadium. The shield final at 12.00 is Sylane v Annaghdown and it's Athenry v Clarinbridge at 2.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Anybody have any info on Fr. Griffin/Eire Og? The club page is out of date and I cant find a facebook page

Anyone at any of the club games this weekend?

Tommie Larkins beating St. Thomas' to me was a very surprising result but don't know a huge amount about what is going on in the St. Thomas' camp or were they missing players but I'd have thought they'd be expected to win that one relatively comfortably?

To a lesser extent TAD beating Turloughmore also seemed a bit of a surpise. TAD and Tommie Larkins were two clubs who looked like they might come through a couple of years back but never did but these were two notable results.

Loughrea beating Gort is a significant result. Portumna got back on the road easily enough against Castlegar. Also Killimordaly beat Kiltormer which will mean one of the existing senior teams will go down this year.

I'd fancy Liam Mellows to go down, they were well beaten by Athenry.

Went to the matches in Athenry on Saturday. First game wasn't great but was tight all the way. Carnmore maybe slightly fortunate to draw with Sarsfields.

Ardrahan won the 2nd quite comfortably. Johnny Glynn had an excellent game. Tannian also played the full game. Still no sign of Cyril Donnellan for Pearses and they badly missed him. 1 pt in the full 2nd half is a poor return.

The back door draw will be fascinating, 3 recent county champions (incl. 2 All-Ireland winners), Turloughmore, Castlegar, Pearses, Craughwell etc. There are definitely going to be a couple of big name casualties straight away. I'm sure Thomas' for example wouldn't fancy meeting Gort (even if they are weakened) or Turloughmore.

I'm one of those who thinks there are too many senior club teams but I think this weekend has been a good showcase for the local club championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ryanair22

Anyone at any of the club games this weekend?

Tommie Larkins beating St. Thomas' to me was a very surprising result but don't know a huge amount about what is going on in the St. Thomas' camp or were they missing players but I'd have thought they'd be expected to win that one relatively comfortably?

To a lesser extent TAD beating Turloughmore also seemed a bit of a surpise. TAD and Tommie Larkins were two clubs who looked like they might come through a couple of years back but never did but these were two notable results.

Loughrea beating Gort is a significant result. Portumna got back on the road easily enough against Castlegar. Also Killimordaly beat Kiltormer which will mean one of the existing senior teams will go down this year.

I'd fancy Liam Mellows to go down, they were well beaten by Athenry.

Went to the matches in Athenry on Saturday. First game wasn't great but was tight all the way. Carnmore maybe slightly fortunate to draw with Sarsfields.

Ardrahan won the 2nd quite comfortably. Johnny Glynn had an excellent game. Tannian also played the full game. Still no sign of Cyril Donnellan for Pearses and they badly missed him. 1 pt in the full 2nd half is a poor return.

The back door draw will be fascinating, 3 recent county champions (incl. 2 All-Ireland winners), Turloughmore, Castlegar, Pearses, Craughwell etc. There are definitely going to be a couple of big name casualties straight away. I'm sure Thomas' for example wouldn't fancy meeting Gort (even if they are weakened) or Turloughmore.

I'm one of those who thinks there are too many senior club teams but I think this weekend has been a good showcase for the local club championships.

Was in Athenry last evening. Loughrea v Gort was poor enough, Johnny Coen was the difference scored 4 or 5 points from play, always able to make space with his speed and take his score

Portumna were very impressive, have obviously kept the sharpness from the All Ireland campaign. Led by 13 at one stage in the first half before easing off, Cashel got it back to 5 at one stage before Port pulled away again. Dean Higgins got sent off in the first half for a pull across JC under a high ball but doubt it made much of a difference. JC looked very sharp playing all of the game in centre field. Thought O' Meara was very good also playing full forward, ff may suit him best as it keeps him more involved, seems to have bulked up a bit more too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cavan beat Galway 2-14 to 1-12 at a challenge game in Cavan this evening.

I hear Clare were comfortable winners over Galway in a challenge this evening. Really hard to see evidence of any sort of decent summer in either code.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Cavan beat Galway 2-14 to 1-12 at a challenge game in Cavan this evening.
    I hear Clare were comfortable winners over Galway in a challenge this evening. Really hard to see evidence of any sort of decent summer in either code.

I'd be more worried about the footballers tbh.

But in both circumstances, it's hard to know what to make of a challenge without being there.

What I would say in relation to the hurlers is that in a much more meaningful game against Clare only a few weeks ago(League in Ennis obviously) they should have beat them if it wasn't for the most inept ref I've seen in a long time.

If Burke had taken his goal chance properly instead of trying to bounce it off the ground it wouldn't have came down to that ridic free for the draw at the death.

The most worrying evidence to the summers chances would be the 2nd half of the KK game in the league semi.

Hopefully it was thrown by the MGMT by reverting to a rotating forward line we know from previous years doesn't work, that they also realised that.
    Things were going well enough in the first half with a settled unit.

If you wanted to draw a positive from that second half it was that as bad as we were, we were still in the game until the last few minutes.

There's been shades there from the hurlers, the footballers though just seem to be a tactical mess all over the field.
    But who knows, in a one off game against Mayo... a player could be sent off, a goalie can make a mistake, won't be winning an All-Ireland but they certainly have enough chance to spring a surprise in that game if a few things fall into place.
    Stranger things have certainly happened for sure.

Galway had pretty much a reserve side out in fairness for the entire game bar a couple of lads. Joe came on for the 2nd half. Clare themselves played two different teams in both halves but more of their first choice players saw the field overall. Not sure you could really take much from the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Galway had pretty much a reserve side out in fairness for the entire game bar a couple of lads. Joe came on for the 2nd half. Clare themselves played two different teams in both halves but more of their first choice players saw the field overall. Not sure you could really take much from the game.

you dont have the line-ups by any chance? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hi folks,have a thread up re hurl bas sizes,would really appreciate if anyone viewed it and gave a quick reply,yours in sport,BL.

• Advertisement

Interesting result from Athenry on Saturday evening. Craughwell beating St. Thomas'. Anyone at it? Saw Thomas' last weekend against Castlegar and they weren't great but did enough, very surprised to see them go down to a Craughwell side who had struggled badly against Beagh.

There could be a few surprise quarter finalists this year. Looking for contenders to take the crown off Portumna and its hard to see any.
    Can Loughrea go again? Gort are struggling, Clarenbridge are no longer serious contenders, Turloughmore are going bad.

Ardrahan are a team I believe aren't good enough to go the whole way but could go to the semi-finals or final if the draw is favourable. There is a host of games in the groups there that are hard to predict but really even with essentially the same group of players for the season ahead again Portumna look likely to add another county title to their haul.

Group A: Sarsfields, Loughrea, Mullagh and Killimordaly
    Group B: Gort, Tommy Larkins, Kilnadeema Leitrim and Clarinbridge
    Group C: Turloughmore, Craughwell, Beagh and Tynagh Abbey Duniry
    Group D: Athenry, Ardrahan, Carnmore and Portumna

Elsewhere I hear Galway beat Limerick on Saturday in a challenge, any word on the teams or anyone have more details on this? Laois v Antrim next weekend with Galway playing the losers the following Sunday.

Footballers getting ready for London next Sunday. I'd hope they are under no illusions as to the task ahead of them. Galway should come through but only if the attitude is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Galway scored 6 goals but didn't win by much. Limerick stated without condon walsh and mcnamara from last years defence.

The teams played an under 21s match sat eveimg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Who's heading over?

Frist meeting spot is the Crown hotel on Saturday evening. Saturday night is the Corrib Rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Who's heading over?

Frist meeting spot is the Crown hotel on Saturday evening. Saturday night is the Corrib Rest.

Should go to the Claddagh Saturday night!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Should go to the Claddagh Saturday night!!

Probably end up there but the guys in the Corrib (same group) are having an event there both Saturday and Sunday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Galway team

Manus Breathnach
    Donal O'Neill
    Finian Hanley
    Johnny Duane
    Gareth Bradshaw
    Gary O'Donnell
    Paul Varley
    Fiontain O'Curraoin
    Tom Flynn
    Michael Lundy
    Shane Walsh
    James Kavanagh
    Michael Martin
    Eddie Hoare
    Danny Cummins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway team in pictures http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/team.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I spoke to a Galwayman the other night who seems very worried about ye for London. He reckoned Conroy missing could make a big difference. I know ye had a bad league campaign and London have improved a touch, but it can't be that bad, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Pessimism is the default setting at the moment or maybe it's realism. We should win this one we can't seem to close out games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement